Koshary : Egyptian Pasta

Mystify

My daughter and i tried this last night, we have been eating a lot of vegetarian food recently as the Halal butcher is on the other side of the city.

I have Egyptian friends who have told me it is very tasty, i did not believe them until i tried it for myself. It's inexpensive and very satisfying, you can have it as mild or spicy as you like. It is traditionally served as a cheap, fast or street food in Egypt. Like an Egyptian version of the western drive through burger meal...This is the recipe i used and from my research seems to be the most authentic. Enjoy! :hijabi:

From Bottom up, the 6 layers of the koshary dish are:

1 Pasta
2 Rice with Vermicelli noodles (*I used plain rice)
3 Boild lentils
4 Tomato Sauce with GArlic
5 Fried onions
6 Chickpeas

the two sauces servec on the side are:

Hot Paprika Sauce
Garlic lemon sauce

Following is simple recipes for each of these components:

for 4 persons

PASTA 250 gms
Use the smallest "Penne" you can find for this recipe, the perfect pasta is called "Ditanlini", which is a short straight tube no longer than 1/4 inch. Boil the pasta, seive it and mix it with 1 table spoon of oil and 1/2 tsp salt.

Rice (1 1/2 cup) with Vermicelli noodles(1/4 cup)
In a pot, stir fry the Vermicelli in 1 spoon of oil until dark brown, add the washed rice, stir for two minutes. Add 2 cups of boiling water, salt and paper. put on very low heat and cover for 20 minutes.

Boiled lentils (1 cup) -can be prepared the day before and heated in the microwave before servig.
Use Black or green whole lentils for this recipe. Boil the lentils in 4 cups of water, strain and season with salt and peper.

Tomato Sauce with Garlic - can be prepared the day before and heated before serving
Stir-fry 1 minced onion with two garlic cloves in a pot with one spoon of oil. When yellow, add two cans of whole tomatoes or 1 KG of fresh ripe tomatoes cut to small pieces. Add a cup of water and simmer for 15 minutes. Blend the sauce until smooth and put back on heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Salt + pepper

Fried onions - can be prepared the day before.
This is the most anoying part of making a Koshary, because of the smell that fills the house when frying the onions. You may find in a Chinese Deli ready fried onions that can serve well for this recipe. just mix 1 cup of it with 1 spoon oil, 3 spoons water and 1/2 tsp salt. microwave for 2 minutes and here you go.
If you want to be authentic (recommended) cut two large onions very small, season with 1/2 tsp of salt and mix well to separate the onion. Fry in the widest pan you have in 1/4 cup of hot oil , keep stiring until very dark brown. Almost black. Pick the now fluffy and crunchy fried onions to absorbent paper. Don't get rid of the remaining oil - see my tips

Chickpeas - the easiest part of the recipe -
buy a can of chickpeas, open it and rinse it under running water!!!!

Hot paprika Sauce - can be prepared the day before no heating needed.
heat 3 spoons of oil in a small pan, remove from heat, mix two spoons of hot Paprika , add 3 spoons of tomatoe sauce which you already prepared. serve in a small bowl on the side

Garlic Lemon Sauce - again ..prepare the day before...
Mix 3 minced garlic cloves with 1/8 cup white viniger, 1 big lemon juice, 1 tsp cumin powder and 1 tsp coriander powder.

Tips:
Do not use Olive oil for this recipe, it will change the taste
Use the oil you used for frying the onions to mix with the Pasta.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

Jazakallah khayr for recipe...

Not tried this before, ive made like spaghetti bolognese or lasagne. This koshary dish is a mixture with lentils, pasta and rice hmmmm sounds good :)

wasalam

q8penpals

Salam - my step-aunt-in-law who is Egyptian and lives outside of Cairo, makes koshary, but to save time, she uses a jar of salsa for the sauce! Just an option for making the recipe a bit easier or for those who like salsa!

Lana

Delyan

I can testtify that its absoltutely delicious, ( a little bit spicy and seasoned but very tasty ) my husband is egyptian and the two times we ve been there, we took it away on a barge on the nile....romantic trips woww I miss it noww I think of it lol

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Wa alaykum Assalam..

gazakum Allah khyran our sister 4 sharing these info..

i like Koshary so much but that's the 1st time know how to cook it..

Australians teaching Egyption how to cook Egyption foods..LOL..

i leave u in care of Allah..

<wasalam>