Learning about the Islamic faith...

Hello.

I have decided to study religion. I am currently undecided on my religious viewpoint. I am going to study an Abrahamic religion first, and that religion is Islam. If anyone wishes to guide me in my learning, I would be grateful. I have a Qu'ran ready and am going to start tonight.
I did consider starting with Judiasm then Christianity then Islam, but for some reason, I just am more interested in Islam. I think I am of Jewish matrilineal descent (not 100% certain) so ethnically, I would be considered Jewish. However, my standpoint recently was more one of atheism. But today I realised that I don't truly know what I believe in. So, I decided to find out!
I'm going to study Islam, and then other religions, until I find the one which I truly believe in. If I don't believe in any, I will go back to atheism.
Anyway, any advice, guidance etc. no matter how large or small, would be greatly appreciated, my Islamic friends!

a_stranger

You are most welcome, The most important lesson of Islam is that it teaches humans who is the their creator and what is his most noble attributes , as all this Creation is telling .......... Islam teaches sincerity , purity, unity .........many many beautifull concepts.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Hello,

Welcome to the forum, I hope your search for the truth is a fruitful one.

Anyway, any advice, guidance etc. no matter how large or small, would be greatly appreciated, my Islamic friends!
Advice?

-Just keep an open mind and heart, get rid of any negative preconceived ideas you may have picked up from the media.

- Look at what the religion says without losing site of the bigger picture. Contextualise.

- Be honest in your judgement of the inherent human condition; make sure you understand it to a certain degree.

- Know that the actions of the followers do not necessarily reflect what is taught in that religion.

Oh, and we're called Muslims.

Lastly, if you have any questions about aspects of our beliefs, feel free to ask them, you will find people on this board quite obliging.

salahdin

welcome to this wonderful site .My advice is read Quran with an open heart and its will surely decide for you.Ask and you will be answered

He is
Allah , other than whom there is no deity, Knower of the unseen and the witnessed. He is the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.

He is Allah , other than whom there is no deity, the Sovereign, the Pure, the Perfection, the Bestower of Faith, the Overseer, the Exalted in Might, the Compeller, the Superior. Exalted is Allah above whatever they associate with Him.

He is Allah , the Creator, the Inventor, the Fashioner; to Him belong the best names. Whatever is in the heavens and earth is exalting Him. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
59:22-24

Perseveranze

I've heard many people regard this as one of the best explanations of what Islam is, I suggest you have a good read - http://www.towards-understanding-islam.com/

Personally I think you should study Judaism/Christianity first, I just think after studying those two, when you come across Islam, you'll just get a more interested/better feeling.

Ummof2a

I've heard many people regard this as one of the best explanations of what Islam is, I suggest you have a good read - http://www.towards-understanding-islam.com/

Personally I think you should study Judaism/Christianity first, I just think after studying those two, when you come across Islam, you'll just get a more interested/better feeling.[/QUOTE/ ]

Why would you recommend studying christianity first when Islam is already her first choice? Shaytan can stir alot ,therefore alhumdililah Islam was her first choice.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Hi,
welcome to the site.I hope you will benefit from it inshaAllah.While studying,the first and foremost thing is to believe that there is a God.Secondly ask God to guide you always.Wish you all the best in your quest for truth.
May Allah guide you and and us all.Ameen.

uddim004

hi welcome to TTI good luck in your research hope you gain as much as possible and if you have any questions feel free to ask the brothers and sisters on this site are very knowledgeable. also i am alos lving in the uk i too know the media.

Perseveranze

Personally I think you should study Judaism/Christianity first, I just think after studying those two, when you come across Islam, you'll just get a more interested/better feeling.[/QUOTE/ ]

Why would you recommend studying christianity first when Islam is already her first choice? Shaytan can stir alot ,therefore alhumdililah Islam was her first choice.

It's a He. And he said he's going to study all religions. I just say it from what I heard, alot of people study religions and then study Islam last and notice the difference alot quickly, next thing you know, their saying Shadaha.

But I can understand what your saying though, maybe it's better to study Islam first.