Like Smilies..think again

acedoc

I know many bros/sis may think "here he goes again".....I thought about bringing this issue up or simply leaving it alone. But all of us are witnesses over each other in the eyes of Allah (SWT).

I am bothered by use of "Similies" here on TTI. I will not comment from my ownself and simply present these hadiths for bros/sis to think about. For each and every one of us there are our own deeds.. Make the right decision by keeping the words of the prophet of Allah (sws) in mind before you use these similies the next time.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 447:
Narrated 'Aisha (ra):

I stuffed for the Prophet a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?" He said, "What is this pillow?" I said, "I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it." He said, "Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?"

Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 448:
Narrated Abu Talha:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

was salamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

Marwa17

:confused: :confused: similes are haram?????? :confused: you're the first person that's brought that to my attention....can someone please give me more insight about this?

acedoc

making/drawing pictures of animate objects

Question:
What is the ruling on making images, and is there is difference between a three dimensional image and other kinds of images such as photographs, or between pictures showing a complete image of a person and pictures which show only the face and chest and what is around them?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is clear that image-making is one of the blameworthy actions of the jaahiliyyah which Islam came to oppose. It is well established from clear, saheeh mutawaatir ahaadeeth that it is not allowed, and that the one who does this is cursed and is warned of torment in Hell, as in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas which is attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Every image maker will be in Hell, and a soul will be given to every image which he made so that it might torment him in Hell.” (Narrated by Muslim).

This applies to all images of animate created beings, humans and others. There is no difference between three-dimensional and other images, whether they were taken with cameras or produced by painting, engraving or other methods, because of the general meaning of the ahaadeeth.

Whoever claims that photographs are not included in the general prohibition or that the prohibition applies only to three-dimensional images and those that cast a shadow is making a false claim, because the ahaadeeth concerning that are general in meaning. There is no differentiation between one kind of image and another. The scholars have clearly stated that the prohibition applies to photographs and other kinds of pictures, such as Imaam al-Nawawi, al-Haafiz ibn Hajar and others. The hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah concerning the story of the curtain is clear, and what it indicates is that an image which is on a curtain is not three dimensional, rather it is a kind of drawing on cloth, but despite that the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) counted it as trying to match the creation of Allaah.

But if the image is originally incomplete, such as a head-and-shoulders picture, etc., and there is removed from the picture that without which is could not live, then it may be understood from the comments of many of the fuqahaa’ that this is permissible, especially if there is a need for such partial pictures. Whatever the case, one has to fear Allaah as much as one can, and avoid that which Allaah and His Messenger have forbidden.

“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine”

[al-Talaaq 65:2-3 – interpretation of the meaning]

Min Fataawa Samaahat al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem (may Allaah have mercy on him)

Question:
I am wondering why it is possible to take pictures of buildings and other things, which are not moving. As Allah (SWT) says: 'Who does more wrong than the one, who tries to create something like my creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn'. Why Allah gives an example of unmoving things? Why not birds, or people? I'm afraid may be it means that we can not even take a picture of unanimated things also?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah and blessings and peace be upon the Messenger of Allaah.

The majority of scholars say that it is permissible to make pictures of inanimate objects such as trees, buildings, etc, and they quote several texts as evidence for that, including the following:

The report narrated by al-Bukhaari (5963) and Muslim (2110) from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘Whoever makes an image in this world will be told to breathe life into it in the Day of Resurrection, and he will not be able to do so.’” The prohibition mentioned in this hadeeth has to do with animate objects. What confirms this interpretation is that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who was the narrator of this hadeeth, issued a fatwa permitting the drawing of trees and inanimate objects, as was narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (2225) and Saheeh Muslim (2110) from Sa’eed ibn Abi’l-Hasan, who said: “I was with Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) when a man came to him and said, ‘O Ibn ‘Abbaas, I am a man who earns a living by the work of my hands, and I make these pictures (or images).’ Ibn ‘Abbaas said: ‘I will only tell you what I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, and I heard him say, “Whoever makes an image in this world will be punished until he breathes life into it, and he will never be able to do so.’’ The man became very upset and his face turned pale. He – meaning Ibn ‘Abbaas – said, ‘Woe to you! If you insist on making them (images), then you can make images of these trees and everything that does not have a soul.’”

In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (5181) and Saheeh Muslim (2108) it is narrated that ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘The makers of these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and it will be said to them: ‘Bring to life that which you have created!’” and he said that the angels will not enter a house in which there are images.

This hadeeth indicates that the punishment has to do with images of animate beings, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that they will be told, “Bring to life that which you have created!”

With regard to the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Let them create a grain of wheat or a grain of barley,” what is meant by that is to show that they are incapable of doing so, because no matter what humans make that may resemble these grains or plants in shape, they can never instill in them the characteristics of these plants, so they cannot be planted and will never grow, and so on. If humans are unable to create a single grain with some of the characteristics that Allaah has created in it, then they are incapable of breathing life into the images and statues that they make. Hence it becomes clear that what is meant by the hadeeth is not that which may first spring to mind, that making images of grains and trees and inanimate objects is haraam, rather what is meant is to show that man is incapable as we have mentioned above. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Question:
Concerning pictures of parents in house. I have my own picture hanging, of my ankle and parents, what should I do with them. May Allah reward you.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

You have to hasten to remove these pictures at once, because it was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) strongly forbade hanging pictures, and he commanded his great Companion ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib, “Do not leave any picture without blotting it out and do not leave any built-up grave without levelling it.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1/66). Hanging up pictures of animate beings deprives the people of that house of a great blessing, which is the entrance of angels into that house. It was reported from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there are statues or pictures.” (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1961).

You can replace them, if you wish, with pictures of inanimate objects, such as trees, mountains, oceans and other natural scenes, or other drawings of inanimate objects, without being extravagant or wasteful.

As for the pictures which are hanging, you have to remove them and blot them out or burn them; do not keep them. It is worth noting that hanging up pictures of the dead is one of the things that renews grief and serves no useful purpose; it may even lead to some kind of veneration which goes against Tawheed. Let us not forget that the shirk committed by the people of Nooh (peace be upon him) started because they set up pictures and images of some righteous people who had lived among them. So be very careful. May Allaah help us and you to do all that pleases Him and earns His forgiveness. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Marwa17

first off, i have a lot of issues about that kind of stuff...like i've heard people say a home with pictures an angel does not enter???
I kind of get that...but iwth a computer it's not like you're hanging up the picture of anything, right??? and it's not like it's actually there, because in a sense it's not??/
forget the similes thing...but can you explain to me about pictures in your own words...i'm okay without the proof...but i just want to understand then look at proofs
basically, are pictures haram even if they are not being hanged up?

acedoc

pictures....

Asalamu alikum wa rahmatullah wa brakatuh

Respected sister,

I think that I understand where you are coimng from. First of all that is why I posted only the fatwa/ruling by a known scholar who follow authentic hadiths. It is not my personal opinon that matters in matters of the deen.

But if my words are going to be more convincing for you than here goes:

Everything we know about Allah comes from our prophet (sws). He never spoke from his own desire or opinon but always conveyed the word of Allah for us. If the prophet says, as you saw in the hadiths that I have quoted then his word is the last word for a sincere muslim.

All forms of pictures of any animate object whether they are drawn in a picture book, hung on a wall, are on a piece of cloth or any other material are haram. Let us not be like the previous nations when they were given a commandment from Allah through their prophet they found loop-holes in them. They simply followed their own desires and disregarded the words of Allah. And Allah knows best.

Marwa17

i understand perfectly what you're saying...but do you think it is possible in today's world to live like that?

acedoc

i understand perfectly...but...

i understand perfectly what you're saying...but do you think it is possible in today's world to live like that?

Some "muslims" say it is impossible to perform five paryers daily, or fast in hot summers of Ramadan...should we change the deen of Allah then???

I will not get into an argument here ...that is why I said I was very careful in posting the hadiths on this issue initially.... If you want to fight on an issue on which Allah's messenger is very clear I leave your accountability to Allah.

Your logic is same as described in a brief booklet by Skh Munnajid.

I want to repent..But

here read it:
http://www.youngmuslims.ca/online_library/books/i_want_to_repent_but/index.htm

acedoc

Taking sins lightly

Here is an excerpt from "I want to repent..but" by Shk Munnajid

The danger of taking sin lightly

You should know, may Allaah have mercy on me and on you, that Allaah has commanded His slaves to repent sincerely and has made doing so obligatory. He says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Turn to Allaah with sincere repentance…” [al-Tahreem 66:8].

Allaah has given us time to repent before the honourable scribes (kiraaman kaatibeen – recording angels) record our deeds. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The (scribe) on the left hand raises his pen (i.e., delays writing) for six hours [this may refer to six hours of 60 minutes as measured by astronomers, or it may refer to short periods of time during the day or night – Lisaan al-‘Arab] before he records the sinful deed of a Muslim. If he regrets it and seeks Allaah’s forgiveness, the deed is not recorded, otherwise it is recorded as one deed.” (Reported by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer and al-Bayhaqi in Shu’ab al-Eemaan (The Branches of Faith); classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Silsilat al-Ahaadeeth al-Saheehah, 1209). A further respite is granted after the deed has been recorded, up until the moment before death approaches.

The problem is that many people nowadays do not place their hope and fear in Allaah. They disobey Him by committing all manner of sins, day and night. There are those who are being tested by the idea of regarding sins as insignificant, so you may see one of them regarding certain “minor sins” (saghaa’ir) as inconsequential, so he might say, “What harm can it possibly do if I look at or shake hands with a (non-mahram) woman?” They think nothing of looking at women in magazines and on TV shows. Some of them, when they are told that this is haraam, may even facetiously ask, “So how bad can it be? Is it a major sin (kabeerah) or a minor sin (sagheerah)?” Compare this attitude with that reflected in the following reports

narrated by Imaam al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him):Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “You do things which in your eyes are less significant than a hair, but at the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), we used to count them as things that could destroy a man.”

Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The believer regards his sin as if he were sitting beneath a mountain which he fears may fall on him, whereas the sinner regards his sin as if a fly lands on his nose and he swipes it away.”

Will these people then understand the seriousness of the matter when they read the following hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? “Beware of the minor sins which are often thought of as insignificant, for they are like a group of people who stopped in the bottom of a valley. One of them brought a stick, and another brought a stick, until they had gathered enough to cook their food. These minor sins, if a person is called to account for them, will destroy him.” According to another report, he said: “Beware of minor sins, for they will pile up until they destroy a person.” (Reported by Ahmad; Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2686-2687).

Marwa17

i am not saying "i want to repent, but"...I'm not saying i'm not going to stop doing it...i'm just asking whether it's wrong or not...

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum.

I think brother acedoc brought up some very important points. However there has been some conditions in which a picture is allowed. There are included for passports, identification... etc.

There is a little differenciation between real pictures and drawn things. Some people say that real pictures should be allowed because you are not creating an image merely presenting it. However, when it comes to drawn images it is BEST NOT to make them. It is imitating creation. Either way, scholars agree that the purpose of taking and keeping real pictures is pointless as well, because it is a waste of time... we can't always look back in to the past, we've got a present to create. So... I don't know what point that is... anyway....

... my brother is whining 4 me...!

Wassalam.

Umm3mar

[QUOTE=acedoc;28029
"I am bothered by use of "Similies" here on TTI. I will not comment from my ownself and simply present these hadiths for bros/sis to think about. For each and every one of us there are our own deeds.. Make the right decision by keeping the words of the prophet of Allah (sws) in mind before you use these similies the next time."

Salamo Aleikom Brother

Reading your thread, I understand you are bothered by the use of "similies' as in pictures/photographs.

What is unclear to me, is this: In my mind, when the word similie is used, I think of a comparing phrase. "Walking outside was like walking into an oven"
The simile between the outside heat and the heat of an oven.

Are you speaking only of visual similies or are you speaking of verbal/written similes as well?

Jazak Allakhyran for your patience. I'm a bit slow witted in my old age.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^^^ Salam Umm3mar,

The original post from bro acedoc, from what I understand, is about SMILEYS. The little emotions on the right hand side when you make a post on the forum .. The word "simile" seems to be a typo. At first I was thinking something else too when I clicked on the thread.