LINUX

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu Alakum,

I had a little trouble getting my PC to work on Linux; however, I am now up and running, Alahamdulillah.

Was Sallem

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

I still have both. I am unfamiliar with Linux. So, I wanted a back up if I messed it up.

I am having some difficulty posting, Insha Allah, it is just part of the learning curve.

As Salamu 'Alaykum,

I am not yet at the point in my spiritual growth in Islam where I can say "Alhamdulliah" from the heart when pain or trials come; Alhamdullilah, I am at the point where I can say "Insha Allah."

I walked down to the library today (which is only twelve blocks). A quarter of the way there my cracked vertebrae was really hurting. I realized that as I was continuing to walk, I was focusing my heart on Allah and thinking," Insha Allah". I thought about this and realized that I have reached the point on the path where, when blessing are coming, I can say Alhamdulillah; however, I can only accept the trials and say Insha Allah. So, Alhamdulillah, I can honest say the above. I strive for when, Insha Allah, I reached the point where I can also praise Allah for the trials.

I understand the old Western Reverts can be trying because of out Cultural Memes and less than precise use of language, but, Min fudlak/fudlik, keep me in your dua. As a Revert, my destination is the same; however, my initial departure point is vastly different from those who are born into Islamic Families. Neither is better than the other because each entered Islam as Allah Willed (not that anything could be otherwise), but different.

In my experience, I talk more than those who have enter Islam by way of Family (since really we all enter by way of birth initially). And, because of my life experiences and age, I am able to extrapolate what I learn elsewhere and through juxtaposition with the Truth of Islam, I am able to over a short time period realize what was correct in my past knowledge and what was incorrect.

Please believe me, when I seem like I am being egocentric or egoistic, it is just that I realize that you have no way of knowing who it is that is typing this and, therefore, out of a desire to convey who I am, I often talk to much about myself. If I daily had other Mulims to interact with perhaps I wouldn't be trying to bond with you, my Ummah (forgive me if I used that word incorrectly, or spell words incorrectly.) I am intelligent, Alhamdulillah, and university educated, Alhamdulillah, but I was initially a teenage high school drop-out in the military with not a very bright future outside of the military, Alhamdulillah, Allah allowed me through his blessing to me to receive a GED in the military as a Sargent, and then be excepted into one of the excellent Universities in The United States. Consequently, I had not been "tracked" (a technique used in the 50's to 70's of testing children early and based on IQ tests "tracked" from 1st grade into either a university education or a blue collar training. I, Insha Allah, initiallly,scored very low on my IQ test because before it was administered the teacher said that when we finished we could go play. I just filled in the oval spaces by A-E and finished in minutes and was the first one out to play. In the military, I scored much higher. And, because of my interaction with intelligent and educated medical professionals while in the military, I was able to score consistently over the top two percentile. Alhamdulillah. Allah effortlessly makes a way where humans see no way. Alhamdulillah. Islam and TTI has been such a blessing to me. Insha Allah, I have little "real world" contact with Muslims because of The Will of Allah. But, I say Alhamdulillah for TTI where I can compensate for what must have been a real trial pre-PC age. I have a very long way to go and no idea how much time I have to get there, but I have come a long way.

Thank You for all of your wisdom, patience, knowledge, and Islamic Experience. It makes being a revert so much easier.

The long part of this post is a previous post that I couldn't get posted. Perhaps it was the Islamic Words in the original post that I was trying to make.

Was Sallam.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Asalamu alaykum

Masha Allah brother, you are so very wise. Sometimes i wonder if i'll ever be so wise. You speak of good. Its certaintly good having you around becasue then and only then could i reflect on your wisdom. May Allah swt increase your knowledge and grant you jannah.

wasalam

True_Sultan

A logical believer
Salam, bro/sis, You will be wise :)

Also im wondering too as i did post a question on linux on Yahoo Answers here it is:

"m looking for an OS that will help me in heavy scientific and engineering computation, simulations, virtualization, everything that windows can do type of thing, and be able to crunch data on anything, maybe even the beyond/unknown o_O (sorry, its a hard to explain aspiration)..and other heavy CPU n GPU workload. which linux is better..?

I got a:
Intel core 2 quad processor Q8200 @2.33Ghz
-500gb HDD (2nd drive..want to install linux)
-nVidia GEFORECE 9500 GS
-6GB RAM
-Wireless LAN 802.11b/g"

Now please don't judge on my question.I mean the unknown that can be anaylized anyway. I also wanted to learn linux, assembly language and stuff and aso be able to do work and play..

People said to use Linux Mint 8 so im using a 500GB HDD my 2nd drive as my first drive has win 7 ultimate :D

So i wanna try it out...Im currently downloading Linux Mint 8. Or is there another linux os I can use.. I just don't like the grub boot loader because my dad uses windows and he hates to wait..so yeah :)

Also Ubuntu isn't my thing :S

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu Alakum,

Brothers and Sisters,

Apparently, I an not all that wise when it comes to computers. I fell into using computers by accident. Before going back to truck driving, I was trying to make a career change by learning computers. I took a certification course in computers when the language was still MS/Dos and learned to use early versions of the early software for spreadsheets, Word, etc. The area in which I took the course had a computer training program, but not many jobs in computers.

I didn't do much with computers until I bought my kennel and I than bought a home/business computer and used it but not online. When my kennel failed I went back to truck driving and the companies for which I drove had SATCOM in the trucks and I would enter data and communicate with my dispatchers. When I had my third lumbar spinal injury, I got very depressed not being able to work or walk. I learned how to use Windows 98 computer program and the internet with dial-up. Then I discovered DSL and cable connections. The other day I tried my first installation of LINUX and was quite content with myself that I had done it successfully. It worked great, until I turned off the computer. When I tried to use it again it didn't work.
So, I spend much of last night trying to format and partition my hard drive for dual-booting. I am for a short time back to Windows exclusively. Windows has such an easy learning curve compared to the steeper learning curve of LINUX.

I am going to write a book as a present to a very pious and wise individual. Hopefully, it will not only allow me to give a gift, but also share Islam in a way that is in keeping with the beautiful wisdom shared by Brother Ayman1 about how to properly present Islam to non-Muslims.

It is in keeping with Summerset Maugham's THE RAZOR'S EDGE's genre without being a work of plagiarism as it will be loose based on my spiritual journey. The title will be THE STOPPED POCKETWATCH and be about the search for Truth, Reality, Spirituality, Islam, The Path toward Allah, and Life, Death, and The Greatness of The Only God, ALLAH, and why and how we cherish the 99 Names.

So, keep us in your du'a and remember as I do hourly, life is a gift from Allah as is everything. Cherish and guard the greater gift of Islam. Alhamdulillah, Subhana Allah, Allah Akbar!

Was Sallem

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Sallam 'Alaykum,

I need to make a clarification. I was pm'ed in a very Islamic Manner by a knowledgeable brother, that I sometimes seem to be incorrectly using transliterations. This was a profound pm because it taught me more than what the words said.

First, if I have either in public or private pm caused any of my brothers and sister in Islam or for that matter anyone offense, embarrassment, frustration or anything other than peace, I sincerely appologize from the heart to you and I repent of it to Allah.

Secondly, I failed to make clear that the use of Insha Allah was in the past at the time of the thinking or saying in other words "I boast not of tomorrow for I know not what Allah has decreed for tomorrow and today, at this time, is the only time in which I can experience real progress toward Allah. I, therefore, am content in knowing that the Future is the Domain of Allah as is Everything and, consequently, I will accept what Allah has decreed for me in the future. I know that when my mind is tricked into the past or future I risk illusion and delusion by the Whisper Shaytain the outcast.

Finally, were it possible to translate or transliterate Al Arabia into other languages precisely, there would be know need for the obligation on every Muslim/Muslimah to learn Al Qur'aan in Al Arabia. Obviously, it can't be which is why until I understand the meaning in Al Arabia of Al Qur'aan, I can say that I have either read or understand a dot of Al Qur'aan. Reading other of my posts, I realize that I am not even consistent in my spelling of transliterations of Islamic Words and Phrases from post to post.

Alhamdulillah, Subhana Allah, Allahu Akbar,

Was Salam

Tru3m0sl3m

Brother in ISLAM
Salam, bro/sis, You will be wise :)

Also im wondering too as i did post a question on linux on Yahoo Answers here it is:

"m looking for an OS that will help me in heavy scientific and engineering computation, simulations, virtualization, everything that windows can do type of thing, and be able to crunch data on anything, maybe even the beyond/unknown o_O (sorry, its a hard to explain aspiration)..and other heavy CPU n GPU workload. which linux is better..?

I got a:
Intel core 2 quad processor Q8200 @2.33Ghz
-500gb HDD (2nd drive..want to install linux)
-nVidia GEFORECE 9500 GS
-6GB RAM
-Wireless LAN 802.11b/g"

Now please don't judge on my question.I mean the unknown that can be anaylized anyway. I also wanted to learn linux, assembly language and stuff and aso be able to do work and play..

People said to use Linux Mint 8 so im using a 500GB HDD my 2nd drive as my first drive has win 7 ultimate :D

So i wanna try it out...Im currently downloading Linux Mint 8. Or is there another linux os I can use.. I just don't like the grub boot loader because my dad uses windows and he hates to wait..so yeah :)

Also Ubuntu isn't my thing :S

Little did he know that Linux Mint is nothing but more featured version of Ubuntu

True_Sultan

A logical believer
Little did he know that Linux Mint is nothing but more featured version of Ubuntu

Yes :lol:

I did know Linux Mint is a more flavoured version of Ubuntu, but people reccomended me. I have no problems with terminals and stuff. But i really need a linux that can do what i want to do and plus be able to run all windows stuff..I know Wine only supports some but still, a little tweaking will work ;)

Unless u know of another distro ;)?

Tru3m0sl3m

Brother in ISLAM
Though i have never tried mint it seems good as they have made it easy to install proprietary codecs and softwares in few clicks