Marriage: Arranged marriages and personal choices

maryiam

:salam2:

I read this artical on this arranged marriage.
What do u think about arranged marriages and love marriage? In canada and US, U.k, There are lot of love marriages. I'm a love marriage, I married my husband, he interdue me to islam, then after a year we got married, We didnt see each other like him coming over to my place, we went out to places like cafe after i converted. Are iman is strong even if its a love marriage. They say that married that are love, are not so good. :ma: we are strong, we have a 8 month old daughter:girl3: :laila: I say as long as ur iman is strong. I see nothing wrong. I still remember someone telling me that love marriages are haram and that my marriage is not going to last long. I have been married for almost 3 yrs and me and my husband dont fight. If either of us get mad at one another, we know not to push there buttons. we just say
أَعُوذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ

I would love to hear ur point on this: Tell me what u think, do u think its ok to have a love marriage as long as ur iman is strong. u believe allah alone.Aslong u dont do haram, like intercourse, kissing or any contact with that person. boyfriend/girlfriend.

:wasalam:, maryiam

• Marriage: Arranged marriages and personal choices

Are only arranged marriages permissible in Islam? What does Islam say about prospective couples falling in love before they agree to marry? This is indeed what happens in most cases in my country.

When we speak of what sort of marriage is permitted in Islam, we are actually speaking of a process in which two persons are united in wedlock. This process, which represents the actual marriage does not look at what has happened between the man and the woman before they come forward with their request to get married. An agreement must exist between them, otherwise no one can force them to get married. The marriage itself requires a commitment by the bride, or her guardian who acts for her, and an acceptance by the bridegroom. This is how we describe the actual marriage contract. The woman's guardian says to the bridegroom : I am marrying you my daughter (or other woman) whose name is so and so for such and such a dower, etc." That represents the commitment. The bridegroom must accept verbally by saying : "I agree to marry your daughter, etc." This technical part has nothing to do with the relationship that may have existed between the two parties. If by "arranged" marriage you mean that the marriage happens after discussions between the two families, in which prospective partners are fully involved, then this is the sort of marriage Islam encourages. It gives marriage its serious character which enhances its chances of success.

A marriage which comes about after a love relationship may not be as glamorous or romantic as it sounds. There are two issues involved here. The first is the relationship which exists between a man and a woman before the marriage takes place. This differs according to traditions and customs prevailing in a particular society. In Eastern societies, the love relationship most probably remains confined to an idealistic and romantic exchange of expressions of love. The girl is keenly aware that she must maintain her chastity and her lover will, in most cases, consider himself responsible to preserve the honor of the girl he loves. Nevertheless, they will try to meet, often in secret, and steal a moment of ecstasy when they express their longing for the moment when they can be united in marriage. While their feelings toward each other may not be reprehensible, if they are not involved in anything sinful, what they actually do may not be allowed in Islam. It is not permissible for a man and a woman to be alone in a closed room if they are not related. When two lovers meet, there is a burning passion within them which may lead them to commit a sin. Hence, it is not the feeling which may be the subject of disapproval, but what may come about as a result of such a feeling can be subject to strong censure.

In Western societies, everything is allowed between a man and a woman within marriage and before it. That is certainly unacceptable from the Islamic point of view. Islam has a highly serious moral outlook and it takes every precaution to preserve it.

The other point which is involved is what may be loosely termed a love marriage and its chances of success. It is a fact of life that when two people are in love, they tend to overlook each other's faults. Every one of them thinks the other to be perfect. When they are married and they have to face life together, they begin to see each other's faults. Everyone of us has his weaknesses and points of strength. When we approach marriage in a careful, objective manner, we are more likely to be aware of what we are bargaining for. When our approach is that of love which blinds us to the faults of the beloved, we stand a greater chance of regretting what we are doing. In many Western societies, where love is the primary factor which unites people in marriage, more than one third of marriages end up with divorce. A high percentage of marriages do not last more than two years. In Islamic societies, where the Islamic approach to the marriage is largely followed, the percentage of discontinued marriages is much lower. That testifies to the wisdom of the Islamic approach.

kayleigh

I don't think arranged marriages are as evil as so many people in the West think. But I only support them if both parties have the option of accepting or rejecting it. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen.

I, personally, refuse to get married unless I'm in love. If that means I'll be single the rest of my life, so be it. If that means, like some people here think, I'll get a divorce, then so be it. You have to sleep with your husband, and the thought of sleeping with someone I might not know or love turns my stomach. To me, that's pretty much the same as sleeping with some random guy you meet at a bar. My standards weren't that low before converting, and they aren't that low now. I know a lot of women could go through with it, but there's no way I could allow myself to do that. If there's no love there, then husband or not, to me it seems just the same as premarital sex. I know that according to Islam it isn't, but that's how I would feel about it.

My fiancé had an arranged marriage set up before, but his parents broke the engagement off. He was supposed to marry her after only meeting her once and he told me there was no way he could have ever gone through with it. His parents had an arranged marriage and are pretty happy. His mother set up and arranged the marriages of her three younger siblings. His cousin fell in love with a girl who had an arranged marriage set up but thankfully her parents were understanding enough to break the engagement off.

I know that many people end up being happy with arranged marriages, and it does have a higher success rate than non-arranged marriages, but that doesn't necessarily mean that just because the people are still married are actually happy. It doesn't work out for everyone.

Some say anyone who marries for love is silly and the marriage is doomed. But that is absolutely untrue. Just look at the older generations in the West. Most peoples grandparents are still married and they married for love. I think what ruins marriages and increases the divorce rate in the US is premarital sex and living together, like so many couples do, NOT love.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
I don't think arranged marriages are as evil as so many people in the West think. But I only support them if both parties have the option of accepting or rejecting it. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen.

I, personally, refuse to get married unless I'm in love. If that means I'll be single the rest of my life, so be it. If that means, like some people here think, I'll get a divorce, then so be it. You have to sleep with your husband, and the thought of sleeping with someone I might not know or love turns my stomach. To me, that's pretty much the same as sleeping with some random guy you meet at a bar. My standards weren't that low before converting, and they aren't that low now. I know a lot of women could go through with it, but there's no way I could allow myself to do that. If there's no love there, then husband or not, to me it seems just the same as premarital sex. I know that according to Islam it isn't, but that's how I would feel about it.

My fiancé had an arranged marriage set up before, but his parents broke the engagement off. He was supposed to marry her after only meeting her once and he told me there was no way he could have ever gone through with it. His parents had an arranged marriage and are pretty happy. His mother set up and arranged the marriages of her three younger siblings. His cousin fell in love with a girl who had an arranged marriage set up but thankfully her parents were understanding enough to break the engagement off.

I know that many people end up being happy with arranged marriages, and it does have a higher success rate than non-arranged marriages, but that doesn't necessarily mean that just because the people are still married are actually happy. It doesn't work out for everyone.

Some say anyone who marries for love is silly and the marriage is doomed. But that is absolutely untrue. Just look at the older generations in the West. Most peoples grandparents are still married and they married for love. I think what ruins marriages and increases the divorce rate in the US is premarital sex and living together, like so many couples do, NOT love.

i agree with you. i hate the concept of forced marriages. i always thought how can they force someone to get married to any old joe? their daughter will actually have to sleep with this guy. it's easy for them to say.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sister Kayliegh,

Islam forbids a forceful marriage. Marriages were arranged to protect the female. In my cultural background it was usually marriage within the extended family. There were support systems to ensure the longevity of the marriage.

Divorce is a little more complicated than premaritial sex and living toghether. Even when you live together...marriage is a new ball game. Marriage is demanding. When you live together there is always the open door to exit. Getting out of a marriage is harder than getting married. It takes years for people to readjust. I wish divorce on no-one. However, it is a reality and often it is a necessity.

najbc

Assalamu alaykum,

It is funny how the girls and some boys in western believe and agree with love marriage. I agree with love marriage, I mean marriage is long, taught with challenges, why not through it with someone you love. I was rise from background were marriage had not to love with, people get marriage to strangers that know nothing about then I came to American where love does not only talk but walks. I believe if people get married because they were in love and love each other we would not have so much divorces. To make marriage work it takes to right, so why do not get married to someone you trust and care about. Do not get married if you do not love each other. Don’t you want to go through life problems with your best friends, someone you love, and doesn’t it feel good to know that there is someone you can share your life with. I do not care what anyone said, I think love marriage is good. and my example is my parents who were married for long long long... time. let your heart make the chosse.

the question is how people fall in love?

to fall in love noramlly i have to see first the face of a girl(islam allows to look only one time a non-mahram).only 1 time seeing her face and fall in love?

2 nd step is its forbid to talk with a girl and without talking with a girl to know something about herself its also not possible.

If i am in love not by seeing a girl a lot of time and not by talking then i have no problem with love marriege.

Its only possible by chat-websites.

But if i chat with a person for a long time then i get some feelings. but before marriege i have to save my feeligs only for my wife.But is it there any garantie that she will be my wife?

satan use it also as a trap.I have seen a lot of people to fall in this trap.

some times arrange marrieges get a face like a love marriege after some days.

i mean if both partners are pious then they will love each other for allahs sake.
its true that people cant love someone, they just fall in love.
But if allah want than there is nothing called impossible.
allah will put love for eachother in thier heart becasue they also have tried to save themselves from wrong path.

its only just my poor knowledge.

and allah knows the best

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Divorce does not have much to do with love. In most cases love still is there. There will always be a bond between the two. People get married when they are in love, here in the west. In simple terms the devils besiege the marriage and cause discord. Sometimes things can be salvaged. Often they can not. Allah has given us permission for divorce and given us the provisions for divorce. Divorce is not an indicment on anyone.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

True, but there are many a sister who are left to take care of their families. We need to be understanding of the hardships they face. We need to acknowledge that they are constantly sacrificing to raise children, paying bills, paying zakat, and being cheerful and grateful.

najbc

the question is how people fall in love?

to fall in love noramlly i have to see first the face of a girl(islam allows to look only one time a non-mahram).only 1 time seeing her face and fall in love?

2 nd step is its forbid to talk with a girl and without talking with a girl to know something about herself its also not possible.

If i am in love not by seeing a girl a lot of time and not by talking then i have no problem with love marriege.

Its only possible by chat-websites.

But if i chat with a person for a long time then i get some feelings. but before marriege i have to save my feeligs only for my wife.But is it there any garantie that she will be my wife?

satan use it also as a trap.I have seen a lot of people to fall in this trap.

some times arrange marrieges get a face like a love marriege after some days.

i mean if both partners are pious then they will love each other for allahs sake.
its true that people cant love someone, they just fall in love.
But if allah want than there is nothing called impossible.
allah will put love for eachother in thier heart becasue they also have tried to save themselves from wrong path.

its only just my poor knowledge.

and allah knows the best

I got your point brother, but I thought that you could see a girl or boy as long as there is someone with you guys. I do not know where I heard from it. But you are right how people can fall in love. Hope someone can answer that. isn’t the arrange marriage that same.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best

I fell in love with my husband 8 months before I married him. If someone would have arranged for us to get married it would have made no difference, because he's a wonderful man mashAllah. INshAllah I pray that we will be together and happy forever ameen. As for divorce it doesn't matter if someone falls in love, was arranged to get married ect. Divorce happens. Maybe the divorce rate is lower for arranged marriages because the couple involved don't want to disapoint their families or other cultural reasons......I dunno. For me there is only 2 reasons I would leave a marriage, but inshAllah I won't have to worry about that
:wasalam:

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu

We need to back whatever we believe in according to Quran and Sunnah. Arranged marriages should not be termed as Forceful marriages, but there are some of those cases in South Asia. Love starts after marriage. To have a relationship before marriage with a woman without her mahram, is haram. We need to please Allah Subhanahu wa Taala in whatever we do. Not just follow our whims or desires.

If a man falls in love with a woman before marriage and has any kind of relation with her, I repeat any kind of relation, its a sin. But Allah Taala is Oft-forgiving and Most merciful. We all have committed sins one way or the other in our course of life. Whatever had happened we need to make istighfar for our past. Make more and more duas so that Allah forgives our past sins, and turn them into good deeds. When Allah SUbhanahu wa Taala guides nobody can misguide. But if Allah does not guide, nobody can guide us. The world is a fighting arena, where good fights the evil, right fights the wrong, justice fights the injustice, truth fights falsehood.

Allahumma innaka afuwwun tuhibbul afwa fa fu anna
O Allah forgive us because You love forgiving and You are All Forgiving.

Just check the following threads below

Marriage Process in Islam

Marriage

wa/salam

kayleigh

Salaam,

Sister Kayliegh,

Islam forbids a forceful marriage. Marriages were arranged to protect the female. In my cultural background it was usually marriage within the extended family. There were support systems to ensure the longevity of the marriage.

Divorce is a little more complicated than premaritial sex and living toghether. Even when you live together...marriage is a new ball game. Marriage is demanding. When you live together there is always the open door to exit. Getting out of a marriage is harder than getting married. It takes years for people to readjust. I wish divorce on no-one. However, it is a reality and often it is a necessity.

I know that forced marriages aren't supposed to happen, and that it's not acceptable in Islam. But it does happen, unfortunately.

I only meant that I've heard some people say the reason divorce is so high in the West is because the marriages are love marriages and not arranged. I was saying I don't believe the reason for high divorce rates to be because of love marriages, but rather the low morality of younger people these days, the idea that you must live with your partner and sleep with your partner(s) before marriage and a whole host of other social reasons. Marriage just isn't treated seriously with respect in the West by some like it used to.

maryiam

True, but there are many a sister who are left to take care of their families. We need to be understanding of the hardships they face. We need to acknowledge that they are constantly sacrificing to raise children, paying bills, paying zakat, and being cheerful and grateful.

:salam2: Husbands do this too, live there wifes with just that. raiseing the kids and stuff. Its not just marriage. I ran to a sis on the street asking for money to feed her kids, because her husband left her, went to his country. Very often u see that devorced case. Brother understand that the sister can't do this alone. It does happen to sisters if there husbands die.

maryiam

maryiam

To have a relationship before marriage with a woman without her mahram, is haram.

Not if the sister is by herself, I didn't have mahram. I did have other friends onces inwhile. Before i got married, I went to crawed places. where people can see us. I know they might think we are married. I feel safe when there is other people. Oh, i mean leave. not live.

Salam,
maryiam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

No, no, no, I was not referring to anyone in particular's response. I was being very general. Please accept my apologies for sounding rude. It is one thing to discuss the ideology of marriage and divorce...it is quite another to be looking at it in the mirror.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sister Kayleigh... I often think that we live in a world of instant gratification. I can't exercise to lose weight but I can take a pill...it is quick and easy or go to the extreme of cosmetic surgery. We are bombarded by suggestions on how to instantly change our lives...think of the commericals that are screaming at you to do it now...Our society reinforces the need for us to get it, get it while the getting is good or you are a loser.
If we listen to the need to gratify our egos at this moment we are always in a state of need and want. I think of the Oprah show. The constant men bashing. The if you don't do this for me...if you love me..

There are no if's in love. Love is a state. Love is acceptance of the not perfect part of another. Marriage is the reality of love. Marriage means you will wait it out. We live in a society where we are told not to wait it out ..

whitecat

:bismillah:
u post is pretty intersting, u ask wt u think abt arrange and love marriages.I think both love and marriage are good as long they are according to islam.
u wrote some people say love marriage are haram, i also think some arrange are haram 2. When we don't follow the commands Allah (SWA) has set for us it becomes wrong, it dosen't matter if its in love or arrange marriage.
unfortunately these days most people don't give a look to relgion( as look u r muslim its ok it dosen't matter if u pactice islam or not its optionall). however other things such as status,wealth, ethnic, complex, education,figure, have become a lot more important than relgion.
sometimes when our parents arrange marriage they don't even ask their son/daughter which is totally against islam.like happen in my family. My uncle arrange my cousins marrige with my others cousin without her permission.
After doing all the (paper work):wink: means saying yes to other uncle he asks my cousin dear daughter i have arrange ur marriage with ur cosuin do u like him, my cosuin was in shock and say i don't want to marry him.Uncle get so mad and said i already have said yes to ur uncle but if u want to insult me infront of whole family i would say no to my brother tommorrow.(emotional black mailing) wt other option u think she had. she got marry with cousin, unfortunatly it didn't work out, coz male cousin was less educated then my cousin,he wasn't relgious at all,plus he lived in pak and my cosuin in usa so he had an inferior complex coz and do and say such thing that any normal human being wouldn't do, only after one year they got divorce. since this divorce was done by my female coousin the whole family got against her, and think the things my male cosuin was doing weren't so bad becoz its very comon in our culture. (the worse thing was that male cousin had commit adultary before marriage and wasn't shame abt it, he said its very normal thinks in men, he didn't even knew that he had commit a major sin, he also think treat a wife with insulted manner strenth of man). however, after all this messy work my female cousin was asked by other brother who is practicing muslim for marriage by, instead of doing anything by her self she did astikhra and told her father abt the proposal.Brother send his family to her home and they got marry. during the period in their marriage they only used to have little chat on computer or sms on phone, they never had gone out or etc.And today Alhamdulila they are living happy life. they have got two beautiful son and enjoying their life as practicing muslim. I am sorry to write all this down becoz it may bore some brother and sistter but point of this story is as long marriage is done by principles that Allah (SWT) has told us is right either its love or arrange.
i m not against both love and arrange marriages i think during all this proses we should just keep in our minds rule that Allah (SWT) suggest. becoz their is nothing better than that.
if i ever like any brother or any brother ask me for marriage i would do istakhara and tell him or talk to my parents abt it.
As long my parent arrange my marraige with a brother who is practing muslim and know abt islam more than me i will have no problem with that. Inshallah

I am really glad that u r happy with ur marriage. the best thing after marriage is treating each other with respect, love, honisty,turst and generosity when there is lack of these things marriage becomes weak dosen't matter if its love or arrange.
(some people says these thing or only possible if u have had already spend time with each other becoz u know each other better, but i m not agree with that if that is true that why do more than 60% of marriages ends at divore in america becoz 95% of marriage in america are love marriage and people have live with each other couple of year before marraiges.)
i m sorry my post is becoming to big i will at here.
:wasalam: :blackhijab:
:tti_sister: :tti_sister: :tti_sister: :tti_sister:

I read this artical on this arranged marriage.
What do u think about arranged marriages and love marriage? In canada and US, U.k, There are lot of love marriages. I'm a love marriage, I married my husband, he interdue me to islam, then after a year we got married, We didnt see each other like him coming over to my place, we went out to places like cafe after i converted. Are iman is strong even if its a love marriage. They say that married that are love, are not so good. :ma: we are strong, we have a 8 month old daughter:girl3: :laila: I say as long as ur iman is strong. I see nothing wrong. I still remember someone telling me that love marriages are haram and that my marriage is not going to last long. I have been married for almost 3 yrs and me and my husband dont fight. If either of us get mad at one another, we know not to push there buttons. we just say
أَعُوذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ

I would love to hear ur point on this: Tell me what u think, do u think its ok to have a love marriage as long as ur iman is strong. u believe allah alone.Aslong u dont do haram, like intercourse, kissing or any contact with that person. boyfriend/girlfriend.

:wasalam:, maryiam

• Marriage: Arranged marriages and personal choices

Are only arranged marriages permissible in Islam? What does Islam say about prospective couples falling in love before they agree to marry? This is indeed what happens in most cases in my country.

When we speak of what sort of marriage is permitted in Islam, we are actually speaking of a process in which two persons are united in wedlock. This process, which represents the actual marriage does not look at what has happened between the man and the woman before they come forward with their request to get married. An agreement must exist between them, otherwise no one can force them to get married. The marriage itself requires a commitment by the bride, or her guardian who acts for her, and an acceptance by the bridegroom. This is how we describe the actual marriage contract. The woman's guardian says to the bridegroom : I am marrying you my daughter (or other woman) whose name is so and so for such and such a dower, etc." That represents the commitment. The bridegroom must accept verbally by saying : "I agree to marry your daughter, etc." This technical part has nothing to do with the relationship that may have existed between the two parties. If by "arranged" marriage you mean that the marriage happens after discussions between the two families, in which prospective partners are fully involved, then this is the sort of marriage Islam encourages. It gives marriage its serious character which enhances its chances of success.

A marriage which comes about after a love relationship may not be as glamorous or romantic as it sounds. There are two issues involved here. The first is the relationship which exists between a man and a woman before the marriage takes place. This differs according to traditions and customs prevailing in a particular society. In Eastern societies, the love relationship most probably remains confined to an idealistic and romantic exchange of expressions of love. The girl is keenly aware that she must maintain her chastity and her lover will, in most cases, consider himself responsible to preserve the honor of the girl he loves. Nevertheless, they will try to meet, often in secret, and steal a moment of ecstasy when they express their longing for the moment when they can be united in marriage. While their feelings toward each other may not be reprehensible, if they are not involved in anything sinful, what they actually do may not be allowed in Islam. It is not permissible for a man and a woman to be alone in a closed room if they are not related. When two lovers meet, there is a burning passion within them which may lead them to commit a sin. Hence, it is not the feeling which may be the subject of disapproval, but what may come about as a result of such a feeling can be subject to strong censure.

In Western societies, everything is allowed between a man and a woman within marriage and before it. That is certainly unacceptable from the Islamic point of view. Islam has a highly serious moral outlook and it takes every precaution to preserve it.

The other point which is involved is what may be loosely termed a love marriage and its chances of success. It is a fact of life that when two people are in love, they tend to overlook each other's faults. Every one of them thinks the other to be perfect. When they are married and they have to face life together, they begin to see each other's faults. Everyone of us has his weaknesses and points of strength. When we approach marriage in a careful, objective manner, we are more likely to be aware of what we are bargaining for. When our approach is that of love which blinds us to the faults of the beloved, we stand a greater chance of regretting what we are doing. In many Western societies, where love is the primary factor which unites people in marriage, more than one third of marriages end up with divorce. A high percentage of marriages do not last more than two years. In Islamic societies, where the Islamic approach to the marriage is largely followed, the percentage of discontinued marriages is much lower. That testifies to the wisdom of the Islamic approach.

maryiam

Salaam,

No, no, no, I was not referring to anyone in particular's response. I was being very general. Please accept my apologies for sounding rude. It is one thing to discuss the ideology of marriage and divorce...it is quite another to be looking at it in the mirror.

i accept ur apologe.

Doris

Bismilah,

O my brothers and sisters in this Deen. Concerning this issue of marrige and things related to it we should see first and formost the guidance that comes from the Qur'an and the Sunnah. We take our first advice from those two noble sources. Secondly, we all know that an unwilling act is done by force or on account of ignorance, a willing act would seem to be one of which is in oneself.The materialistic world we are living in is creating saddness and disconcentration in our lives, So facous to work make stroger your imaan educate our families about this religion take from this dunia what is needed and finally, don't bussy yourselves with the actions of the disbelievers and what problems they have in their empty marriges and lives because they have no guidance accept the devils. So, if we as muslims face harsh problems with our spouses let's take these problems and solve them with the Qur'an and the Sunnah.