Marriage between Muslim man and Christian woman???

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalmau Allaicomu dear brothers and sisters.

May you be in the best state of heath and iman,Inshallah.

I have one question regarding marriage between Muslim man and Christian woman.
I know that marriege between Muslim man and Christain woman is alowed,but I do not understand how is it alowed?????
Is there any clear Ayah which is testifaing that this kind of marriege is alowed.???In many places in The Holy Quran Allah subhan we teal is remainding us that marriege is alowed betwen belivers,but when we say beliver we mean on the persone who belives in One Almighty God,His Messanger s.a.w.s. and who folow and practise religion Islam!!!!So with that Chistians,jews or some other persone without religion(without practising religion) are NOT Muslims Alhamdulillah.

How Allah subhan we teal can alwed that Muslim man marry and Chistain women when in many places Allah Almighty is remanding us taht we should stay away from Chistians and Jews and not be friend with them???How can be accepted prayer from Muslim man marring with chistian who is doing haram things in islam(eating pork,alcohol and who is doing Shirk(one of the greatests sins in Islam).
Is this family Muslim family???

Rcently I have heared that one Shaikh from UAE got marry with sinfull women Astagfirullah.He is clarifing himselfe like a Muslim Astagfirullah,and he got marry with sinfull women when he should marry a pious and practising Muslimah.

So my question is! Is there clear ayah for alowing this marriege,and how this marriege with logical thinking and with clear ayahs in which Christains,Jews and others are called unbelivers can be alowed?????

I hope Inshallah someone can answer on my question,and Allah Almighty knows the best.

May Allah bless you and reword you

Wa Allaicomu Salam Wa rahmetullah Wa Barakatuhu

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu Allaicomu

Does anyone knows the asnwer dear brothers and sisters,Inshallah.???

:wasalam:

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/33656
Praise be to Allaah.

Islam does not prevent marriage to a Christian woman if she is chaste. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends…”

[al-Maa’idah 5:5]

What is meant by chaste women is that they are free (not slaves) and chaste (not loose or immoral).

See also question no. 2527

But if a woman is not chaste, and she has boyfriends or lovers with whom she is intimate, then Islam forbids marriage to her, whether she is a Muslim or a woman from among the People of the Book, just as it forbids marriage to a man who has girlfriends or lovers, to protect married life from collapse and to protect against mixing of lineages and to avoid causes of dispute, accusation and suspicion.

With regard to the Muslim husband attending marriage parties according to the Christian tradition, this is not permissible because there will be many things in these celebrations that are forbidden in Islam, such as free mixing between men and women, listening to music, drinking alcohol, dancing etc.

In the hadeeth the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever believes in Allaah and the Last Day, let him not sit at a table where wine is being drunk.” Narrated by Ahmad, 1/20; al-Bayhaqi, 7/366. Al-Albaani said in al-Irwa’, 7/6: it is saheeh.
We thank you for your noble feelings and this good attitude and your keenness to ask about the Islamic rulings on this matter.

We ask Allaah to help you and guide you to the religion of Islam. Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds.

Assalamu Alaicomu dear brother

May Allah reword you for your reply.

But I do not understand how is alowed to Muslim man to marry with Chirisatian women or Jews women in explination that they are folowrs of Scriptures (Holy Books),when in this time Sciptures of Jews and Christian are changed,basicily they do not exist because they are changed and they are not Word of God Alhamdulillah.

Than how it is alowed??? Is there clear ayah which alows that???

May Allah bless you

Amir_of_spain

Asalam wailkium.

Firstly here is the ayat that gives muslim men permission to marry christain and jewish women.

...“And (Lawful in marriage are) chaste women from among the believers and
chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you…” [Surah Al-Maidah 5:5].

Logic behind it: many sahabah's may have been married to christain women, or wanted to marry christain women, this verse therefore allows it as there is alot of common belief between the abrahamic religions, thus serves as a means of dawah and gaining new converts. When muslims went into byzantium lands they encountered large populations of christains, allowing our men to marry their women helped intergration this happened commonly in Al Andalus, Syria and Turkey.

Now this group of women cannot be mushriks (i.e. asssociating partners with Allah, those who believe Jesus is God or his son etc). If they are christain they should believe Jesus as a messenger of God i.e. Unitarians.

“And do not marry Mushrik (polytheistic) women until they believe. And a believing slave woman is better than a polytheist, even though she might please you.” [Surah Al-Baqarah 2:221].

So there is no contradiction, there is 2 points, 1st) we can marry jews and christains 2) but you cannot marry any random female, she must not associate partners with Allah ie commit shirk.

Furthermore there are verses that talk of christains and jewish groups that are good enough due to their actions and beliefs and of others who are the opposite:

Among them (Jews and the Christians) are believers but most of them are defiantly disobedient.” [Surah Ali Imran 3:110].

Now... during the time of Umar, he banned muslim men ffrom marrying christain women, uthman (RA) wanted to marry a christain women, however he did not due to this banning. Umar's logic was that if the men married christain women, then who would marry the muslim women, espeically those who left christain men after converting to Islam. He saw it as a growing problem and therefore believed it was a priority as a temporary piece of law to promoting muslim men to take muslim wifes instead of christain ones, however note this was only seen as a temporary move, never permanent.

Summary: there is a verse that allows muslim men to marry jewish and christain women, however Allah states there are different subgroups within the people of the book, the majority commit shirk and therefore are unbelievers, thus our men should not and cannot marry them, the lesser minority which do not commit shirk are believers in the one true God, and thus we can marry them. Even in our times, although in a minority position there are still unitarian christain believers.

Amir of spain

Abdulhalim

Fatwa 21380, Reference Islam-qa.com

Ruling on a Muslim man marrying a non-Muslim woman and vice versa
I have some questions about Islam, could you explain them for me? Is it permissible for someone who follows Islam to marry someone who does not follows Islam without that person converting to Islam after marriage?.
Praise be to Allaah.
It is permissible for a Muslim man to marry a non-Muslim woman if she is Christian or Jewish, but it is not permissible for him to marry a non-Muslim woman who follows any religion other than these two. The evidence for that is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Made lawful to you this day are At Tayyibaat [all kinds of Halaal (lawful) foods, which Allaah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends”
[al-Maa'idah 5:4]
Imam al-Tabari said in his commentary on this verse:
“chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture” means, free woman among those whom have been given the Scripture, namely the Jews and Christians who believe in what is in the Tawraat (Torah) and Injeel (Gospel) from among the people who came before you, O believers in Muhammad, whether from among the Arabs or other people; you are permitted to marry them “when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage)” which means, if you give to those whom you marry of your (Muslims’) chaste women and their (Jews’ and Christians’) chaste women their mahrs or dowries.”
(Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 6/104)
But it is not permissible for a Muslim man to marry a Magian (Zoroastrian) woman or a communist woman or an idol-worshipping woman, etc.
The evidence for that is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And do not marry Al-Mushrikaat (idolatresses) till they believe (worship Allaah Alone). And indeed a slave woman who believes is better than a (free) Mushrikah (idolatress), even though she pleases you”
[al-Baqarah 2:221]
A mushrikah is an idol-worshipping woman who worships stones, whether from among the Arabs or others.
It is not permissible for a Muslim woman to marry a non-Muslim from any other religion, whether from among the Jews or Christians, or any other kaafir religion. It is not permissible for her to marry a Jew, a Christian, a Magian, a communist, an idol-worshipper, etc.
The evidence for that is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikoon) invite you to the Fire, but Allaah invites (you) to Paradise and forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember”
[al-Baqarah 2:221]
Imam al-Tabari said:
What is said concerning the interpretation of the words “And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you” is that what Allaah meant by that is that Allaah has forbidden the believing women to give birth to a mushrik, no matter what kind of shirk he believes in. So, O believers, do not give your daughters in marriage to them, for that is forbidden to you. For you to give them in marriage to a believing slave who believes in Allaah and His Messenger and that which he brought from Allaah is better for you than to give them in marriage to a free mushrik even if he is of noble descent and honourable origins, even if you like his descent and background…
It was narrated that Qutaadah and al-Zuhri said, concerning the phrase “And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al Mushrikoon”, It is not permissible for you to give them in marriage to a Jew or a Christian or a mushrik who is not a follower of your religion. (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 2/379).

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Asalam wailkium.

Firstly here is the ayat that gives muslim men permission to marry christain and jewish women.

...“And (Lawful in marriage are) chaste women from among the believers and
chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you…” [Surah Al-Maidah 5:5].

Allaicomu Salam

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother for your reply

Alhamdulillah I know for this ayah,and it si refaring on the Books sent before Holy Quran.Today these Books are changed and they can not be understood as Allahs Holy Books,so with that they can not be accepeted.When Allah subhan we teal is mentioning Scriptures and Holy Books He subhan we teal is refarning on His Words and not the words of people (Jews and Christains) who changed His Words,so with that these Books can not be accepted like holy Books.So folowrs of these changed Books are unbeilvers.Right???

Now this group of women cannot be mushriks (i.e. asssociating partners with Allah, those who believe Jesus is God or his son etc). If they are christain they should believe Jesus as a messenger of God i.e. Unitarians.

In the Holy Quran Alah subhan we teal sais:"And to Allah,the only accepted religion is Islam"......"And today I have a complish your faith,and I am pleased that Islaam be your religion".

In The Holy Quran Allah subhan we teal said that for Him s.w.t. the only accpted religion is Islam,meaning that he can not accept folowrs of other religions "Christains,jews etc" like belivers Alhamdulillah.Although they may belive taht Jesus Issa s.a.w.s is Messsanger of God Almighty (although the most of them are not of these belifs9 are not accpted like belivers from Allah subhan we teala.Further more they are beliveing in three Gods Astagfirullah.Although Jews are beliving in One God they are not belivers Alhamdulillah.They are giving to Allah Almighty untrufull atributes,so with that they do not belive in Allah in who we Muslims we belive.

So there is no contradiction, there is 2 points, 1st) we can marry jews and christains 2) but you cannot marry any random female, she must not associate partners with Allah ie commit shirk.

How a Muslim man can marry a Chistian women who is unbeliver????And what will happen with childrens who will be born in that family???Mother has right to teach her chidlren to her religion,and duty of father is to teach children to his religion.How can be accpted prayers,worshiping,fasting of Muslim man in family where is drinking alcohol,eating pork, listening music ,etc???

Wa Allaicomu Salam Wa rahmatullah Wa Barakatuhu

mhamzah

It is permissible for a Muslim man to marry a woman from the People of the Book (i.e. the Jews and the Christians), only if they fulfill certain criteria. Allah (swt) says:

“And (Lawful in marriage are) chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you…” [Surah Al-Maidah 5:5]

Based on the above verse, most of the scholars say that a Muslim man can marry any woman who is a Jew or a Christian. On the other hand, if we read the Qur’an as a whole, Allah (swt) also says that Muslims are not allowed to marry Mushriks i.e. people who associate partners with Allah (swt).

“And do not marry Mushrik (polytheistic) women until they believe. And a believing slave woman is better than a polytheist, even though she might please you.” [Surah Al-Baqarah 2:221]

Moreover, we find that the Jews and the Christians too associate partners with Allah (swt). Says Allah (swt) in the Glorious Qur’an:

“They (Jews and the Christians) have taken their scholars and monks as lords besides Allah, and (also) the Messiah, the son of Mary. And they were not commanded except to worship one God; there is no deity except Him. Exalted is He above whatever they associate with Him.” [Surah At-Tawbah 9:31]

The Christians, who claim that Jesus (pbuh) is God as well as the Son of God, insist on the supposed divinity of Jesus (pbuh) and worship him as such.

“They have certainly disbelieved who say, “Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary” while the Messiah has said, “O children of Israel, worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.” Indeed he who associates other with Allah – Allah has forbidden him paradise and his refuge is the fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers.” [Surah Al-Maidah 5:72]

From the above-mentioned verses and many such verses of the Qur'an, it is very clear that many Jews and the Christians are committing shirk by joining partners with Allah (swt).

In another verse of the Glorious Qur’an, Allah (swt) conciliates all the above verses by informing us that among the Jews and the Christians there are also people who are true believers i.e. they believe in only one God and do not associate partners with Allah (swt). It says,

“Among them (Jews and the Christians) are believers but most of them are defiantly disobedient.” [Surah Ali Imran 3:110]

According to me, Muslim men are permitted to marry only those women from the People of the Book (i.e. the Jews and the Christians) who are chaste as well as who do not commit shirk i.e. those who do not believe in trinity and Jesus’ (pbuh) divinity. And Allah Knows the Best.

mhamzah

The Qur'an’s Three Accusations

The Qur'an’s Three Accusations (Abstract from What does the Gospel means to Muslims)

What the Qur'an really criticizes is not anybody else’s books. It never mentions the Bible, but as a matter of fact neither does the bible, that is just a nickname for a collection of books. What it talks about are scriptures and what it criticizes is the way that some, I stress some people, use their scriptures. It criticizes the handling of whatever people call scripture. It endorses the fact that the truth has been preserved by people that they have in their scriptures the truth, but they mishandle it.

It makes basically three accusations which probably you could go to any church and the pastor will say those things are true of those people over there.

(I) The Quran says some of the Jews and Christians pass over much of what is in their scriptures.

(II) Some of them have changed the words, and this is the one that is misused by Muslims very often giving the impression that once there was a true bible and then somebody hid that one away, then they published a false one. The Quran doesn’t say that. What it criticizes is that people who have the proper words in front of them, but they don’t deliver that up to people. They mistranslate it, or misrepresent it, or they add to the meaning of it. They put a different slant on it.

(III) And the third accusation is that some people falsely attribute to God what is really written by men.

Now probably in any church there will be people who will say, "Yes, I know a church that does all those three things. They pass over much of what is in their scripture, they‘ve changed things, they put the wrong slant on the words, and they’ve credited God with things that men said. "So really there is not a cause for a problem between the Christian and the Muslim on these charges, the Christian, I would like to think, would generally go along with those ideas."

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
According to me, Muslim men are permitted to marry only those women from the People of the Book (i.e. the Jews and the Christians) who are chaste as well as who do not commit shirk i.e. those who do not believe in trinity and Jesus’ (pbuh) divinity. And Allah Knows the Best.

Assalmau Allaicomu dear sister/brother,

Thank you for your reply

But we all know that Allah accted as belivers only Muslims(those who folow and practise Allah Holy Book,and Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s.),so folowrs of any other religion for example Christians,Jews and others can not be accepted like belivers.
So if Muslim marry a Christain women that means that he is marryed with unbeliver???
How it can be accpeted that in Islam???When Allah is remanding us that we should not neven be friends with them,and with logical thinking especialy not marry with them becasue they are unbelivers.

May Allah bless you

Salam

ShyHijabi

Salaam sister,

I believe you are confusing "unbeliever" with someone who is a believer but on a deviated path. The people of the book believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, Ishmeal , Jesus, etc., (peace be upon them). So they are believers but their books have been corrupted over time.

Remember that Rasool married a Jew, an al kitaab. Of course her people were following a corrupted scripture (since that's why Rasool had to come in the first place, to correct this) and yet he was permitted to marry her.

Christians and Jews are not "unbelievers" they simply do not have the whole, uncorrupted truth. A word of caution who you call an "unbeliever" as we are not permitted to say who believes and who doesn't. The Quran says that Muslim men can marry "people of the book" and that's that. From before Rasool's time they were deviated and yet still the Quran states they can marry them.

Wasalaam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

While they are from Ahl ul-Kitaab, they are still considered kuffaar in general sister ShyHijabi. However, they are not like the other kuffaar in that they believe in previous prophets and their scriptures were initially from Allaah, as we all know. So from that angle, yes they are still are un-believers, because they denied either the Prophet sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, the tawheed of Allaah or in cases, both. This alone renders them kuffaar, yet their beliefs regarding the scriptures and other prophets is what leads them to the group, Ahl ul-Kitaab.

Verses 83 and 85 of Surah Aal `Imraan further indicate this, as does the 18th verse.

Perhaps I misunderstood a part of your post in which case I apologise.

Was-salaam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Sister..though marriage from a Kitabbiya (woman from the people of the book) is allowed..it is conditioned by her *chastity*..and a Muslim man if seeking marriage should seek a Muslim woman for that *first and foremost* because *no matter what* she is better for him than a Kitabbiya..also should a Muslim marry a Kitabbiya then he must do his best to have her revert and not accept the fact that she's misguided or ignore it under the excuse of "in the Qura'an I am allowed to marry her upon her belief"..that is very apparent from the literal wording of the verse(s) normally quoted regarding this issue...and from the various commentaries and fatwas...

Now that we are a big population..from various nations of the world..marriage from a Kitabbiya is *makrooh* because there is nothing *forcing* a Muslim man to go for a Kitabbiya and leave a compatibable Muslimah..adding to the population factor..the fact that many Kitabbiyeen (people of the book) have become *mushrikeen* due to the corruptions in their beliefs and books...

And I don't know where you're getting the "whe should not be friends with them" but have you not come across the story of the young Jewish boy who used to visit and hang out around The Prophet (pbuh) because he liked him so much??? (the boy even converted to Islam on his death bed!)..and The Prophet (pbuh) knew all along he was NOT A MUSLIM!..and what about the scholars and scientists who worked side by side with scholars and scientists from people of the book..had them as students..and researchers and the like???..don't you think there was at least some sort of *friendship* there???..there are tons of examples where Muslims interacted with non-Muslims (especially al-kitabiyeen) on personal levels it's something unavoidable and may actually reep benefits..as these kitabiyeen may revert to Islam...

We are not supposed to take them for *Awliya'a* (judges..governors..directors of affairs..etc.)..*that* is established!..but we can be friends with them..especially if we are doing this to soften their hearts towards Islam and guide them back to it!

Just as an addition..the major NO-NO on marriage..is marrying a *clear* Mushrika or non-Kitabbiya..such as a Hindu..a Buddhist..a Communist..Agnostic..Atheist..etc.

A Muslim man has to have her ACCEPT Islam BEFORE marrying her..the reason for that is that she can be farther from reverting to Islam than a woman who already believes in Allah's messengers and divine revelations..

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalmau Allaicomu dear sister/brother,

Thank you for your reply

But we all know that Allah accted as belivers only Muslims(those who folow and practise Allah Holy Book,and Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s.),so folowrs of any other religion for example Christians,Jews and others can not be accepted like belivers.
So if Muslim marry a Christain women that means that he is marryed with unbeliver???
How it can be accpeted that in Islam???When Allah is remanding us that we should not neven be friends with them,and with logical thinking especialy not marry with them becasue they are unbelivers.

May Allah bless you

Salam

Assalamu alaykum sister asja,

I think that here on TTI none of us are scholars, and thereby I dont believe asking us "how can it be accepted in Islaam" is appropriate after you have been given fatawa by scholars who clearly define in accordance to their knowledge what is allowed and not allowed in Islaam. I believe after that, we should try to find out as much about something as we can if we are still confused, but if even after that we do not understand we should not continue seeking logic, but trust in what Allah has decreed, and what has been passed down by the Companions and the righteous after them.

If you look to the tafseer of the ayah in Surah Ma'idah in Tafseer ibn Katheer, you'll see that Abdullah bin 'Umar discouraged a Muslim man from marrying a Christian woman, but this was only his point of advice - other Sahabah accepted this ayah in accordance with other ayaat and made it permissible to marry Jews/Christians on the condition that they were chaste. Since we know that those who knew the Qur'aan the best were the Sahabah, and this was their take on this matter - then we too should accept this as something which is allowed, even if we do not encourage it.

Asking too many 'how's' and 'why's' is not always a good idea, since this was the way many people went astray from what is correct. So ukhti, I advice that rather then boggling your mind with something such as this, perhaps re-directing our efforts in other subjects would be better. I mean as a Muslimah it does not effect us - in that we can only marry Muslim men. And if a Muslim man, does take a decision such as this, even if it does not ring to our approval, we cannot say it is not allowed because it does not logically make sense.

There are many women who were introduced into Islaam by marriage to a Muslim man, and later became a better Muslimah then the one she was married to! Or in other cases, the wife reverts and then guides her husband along the path in goodness. There are many different cases in which perhaps good can arise from such a situation, so we should not be quick to judge since Allah knows best.

Other Fatwa on this regard:

I wish to know if the Christians are regarded as non-believers when they say they believe in “the father, the son and the holy spirit". If it is the case, does a Muslim man have the right to marry with a Christian woman and a Muslim woman with a Christian man?

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Allah does not accept any religion except Islam. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {And whoever seeks a religion other than Islâm, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.}[3:85]. He also Says (interpretation of meaning): {Truly, the religion with Allâh is Islâm….}[3:19]. In a third verse Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {…This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islâm as your religion….}[5:3]. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "By him in whose hand is the life of Muhammad, he who amongst the community of Jews or Christians hears about me, but does not affirm his belief in that with which I have been sent and dies in this state (of disbelief), he shall be but one of the denizens of Hell-Fire."

The above evidences explicitly prove that Christians are non-Muslims because of their false claim to believe in the Son, Holy Spirit, and other faiths that are contrary to the teachings of Divine religions.

The marriage of a Muslim man with a Jewish or Christian woman is permissible provided she is chaste. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {…foods, which Allâh has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, etc., milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits, etc.). The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals, etc.) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time, ….}[5:5].

But the opposite marriage of a Muslimah with a Jew or Christian is strictly forbidden according to the consensus of Muslim scholars. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {…And never will Allâh grant to the disbelievers a way (to triumph) over the believers.}[4:141].

Generally, a woman is more emotional than a man and she is more inclined to follow her husband than a husband to follow his wife. Also, the children follow the religion of their father very often.

Allah knows best.

Question

The Muslims are allowed to marry Christians and Jew women. Does that mean that Christians and Jews will go to Paradise by following their religion, which is a false religion?

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.
Any Jewish or Christian woman married to a Muslim man and who dies before becoming Muslim, Paradise is forbidden to her. The fact that her husband is Muslim does not help her as mentioned in Qur'an
{And no bearer of burdens shall bear the burden of another.}[6:164].
Allah said that the wives of both Noah and Lut (Blessing and Peace be upon them) were from the people of Hell-fire.
Their being the wives of two Prophets did not help them.
It is known that Paradise is exclusively for true believers. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Perhaps (often) will those who disbelieve wish that they were Muslims [those who have submitted themselves to Allâh's Will in Islâm Islâmic Monotheism, this will be on the Day of Resurrection when they will see the disbelievers going to Hell and the Muslims going to Paradise].}[15:2]
Muslim reported that Abu Huraira narrated that the Prophet said: "By Him in Whose hand is the life of Muhammad, he who amongst the community of Jews or Christians hears about me, but does not affirm his belief in that with which I have been sent and dies in this state (of disbelief), he shall be but one of the denizens of Hell-Fire".
"Zaid said: we asked Ali (the fourth Caliph): "What did the Prophet tell you to convey during Hajj? He said he told me to convey four things: "No unbelieving soul will enter Paradise…".
Allah knows best.

To conclude I just wished to say that by saying this it's not that I encourage Muslim men to marry Jews/Christians, but it's just to clarify that this is something which has been allowed.

BarakAllahu feeki sister asja for bringing up such a concern you had on your mind, and I hope that it becomes understandable and easy for you to accept.

wasalam

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Salaam sister,

I believe you are confusing "unbeliever" with someone who is a believer but on a deviated path. The people of the book believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, Ishmeal , Jesus, etc., (peace be upon them). So they are believers but their books have been corrupted over time.

Remember that Rasool married a Jew, an al kitaab. Of course her people were following a corrupted scripture (since that's why Rasool had to come in the first place, to correct this) and yet he was permitted to marry her.

Christians and Jews are not "unbelievers" they simply do not have the whole, uncorrupted truth. A word of caution who you call an "unbeliever" as we are not permitted to say who believes and who doesn't. The Quran says that Muslim men can marry "people of the book" and that's that. From before Rasool's time they were deviated and yet still the Quran states they can marry them.

Wasalaam

Allaicomu Salam dear sister

Thank you dear sister for your kind reply

I am not confused dear sister Alhamdulillah,becasue we all know perfectly well who are belivers those who folow and practise Islam) Alhamudlillah,and they are only accepted from Allah like Muslims because Allah subh we teal sais"The only religion accepted from Allah is Islam".... In the Holy Quran Allah subhan we teal is saying for Christains"beside Allah they take for God thier monahs and thier prists,and Masih,the son of Maryam".
Allah subhn we teal sais:"Oh belivers(Muslims) do not take for protectors jews and Christians! They are protector to them sleves,and to them belongs the one between you who accpet them for thier protectsd" (5:51-56)

Here we clearly see when Allah is mentioning belivers He s.w.t. is refarning on Muslim belivers,and for Chirstains and Jews he s.w.t say that they are unbelivers and enemies to Muslims.

Than the question is who is beliver???
With the opinion of the most infuence Ulema and words of our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s ...To became beliver it need to be a comlpish these conditions ,beliving in Allah suhan we teal (the One God) His messangers s.a.w.s. and folowing Allahs comendts and staying from taht waht he Subhan we teal forbid!!!!!!

So with clear ayahs,and Sunah of our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s Jews and Christaisn are unbelivers.
How to Muslim man can be permited to marry with unbeliver women???

How Allah s.w.t. in one ayah can say that we do not be frineds with Jews and Chistinas,and in onother to alow to Muslim man marriege with Christain women???
SubhanAllah all Allahs ayah are clear,and there is no case where some ayah is in conrtradictionary of onother.And that is why I do not understand.

What kind of family is family betwen Muslim man and Chistain women???Because that is not Muslim family
What si with chidren in that family,what they folow???islam.....or some other religion?
What is the destiny of Islaam in this case???

These are the questions on which I do not have answer

May Allah bless you sister

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
The confusion is caused by translation, as is often the case. God makes it clear in the holy Quran that the people of the Book as well as the pagans are Kuffaar (98:1) But that does not mean they are "unbelievers." Even the pagans of Mecca believed in God! The Quran lets us know that Kufr means ingratitude (27:40, 14:7) The word literally means covering. Notice how the two words sound alike?

Personally, I wouldn't advice any Muslim to marry a non-Muslim woman although I know it's allowed. There are countless, subtle effects the wife has on her husband and children. A Muslim wife will help strengthen her husband's and children's faith while a non-Muslim wife is less likely to do so.

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Jazaak Allaahu khayran... it depends how you use the word I guess.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

And I don't know where you're getting the "whe should not be friends with them" but have you not come across the story of the young Jewish boy who used to visit and hang out around The Prophet (pbuh) because he liked him so much??? (the boy even converted to Islam on his death bed!)..and The Prophet (pbuh) knew all along he was NOT A MUSLIM!..and what about the scholars and scientists who worked side by side with scholars and scientists from people of the book..had them as students..and researchers and the like???..don't you think there was at least some sort of *friendship* there???..there are tons of examples where Muslims interacted with non-Muslims (especially al-kitabiyeen) on personal levels it's something unavoidable and may actually reep benefits..as these kitabiyeen may revert to Islam...

:wasalam: dear sister

Alhamdulillah I did not said that we should not talk with them,neither to not respect them and thier religion or to seek knowlodge together with them,,but I was thinking on personal relations betwen us Muslims and them(like frindship,or marriege).Alhamdulilah we like Muslim should respect them and try to advice them with Islam and the right way Inshallah,and it is our duty Alhamdulillah.

I have asked this question because I think it is importante for Islam,and because I could not understand how it is permissible marriage betwen Muslim man and Christian woman,but Allah knows the best,

It is our duty to seek knowlodge

may Allah reword you sister for your reply

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member

I think sister Asja has got her question answered alhamdulillah! There is no need to go off topic ;)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:wasalam: dear sister

Alhamdulillah I did not said that we should not talk with them,neither to not respect them and thier religion or to seek knowlodge together with them,,but I was thinking on personal relations betwen us Muslims and them(like frindship,or marriege).Alhamdulilah we like Muslim should respect them and try to advice them with Islam and the right way Inshallah,and it is our duty Alhamdulillah.

I have asked this question because I think it is importante for Islam,and because I could not understand how it is permissible marriage betwen Muslim man and Christian woman,but Allah knows the best,

It is our duty to seek knowlodge

may Allah reword you sister for your reply

That's essentially what I meant in my reply..that we are allowed to be friends with them should we seek softening their hearts towards Islam (i.e. have them convert/revert to Islam)..should marriage come into play...then the Muslim man involved needs to make sure of the conditions set for him..and remember that even though the marriage *is allowed*..it is *makrooh* (due to the reasons I mentioned in my other reply)..because a Muslim woman would be better...

And I highly regard your act of making a thread for your question..even if you know the answer..someone else might feel hesitant to ask it..so in what you are doing..you could be helping others..which is never a bad thing

And Inshallah we will all benefit from each other and earn much knowledge :)

mhamzah

Salam Alakum

Quran does not paint all Jews and Christians with the same brush. Rather it uses phrases such as 'Among them' ... 'some of them' or 'A party among them' do such and such.

Just because a person belongs to a particular community he doesnt stand condemn. There are verses in the Quran that states, that amongst them (Jews and Christians) are people who believe in Allah and the Last Day.

(2:62) Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans - whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

Take the example of Dr Gary Miller, when he first read the Quran in 1978, he stated that this is what he had been believing for the past 15 years. To make the point short it is Allah swt who knows what is inside the heart of a Muslim and it is not amongst us, to decide who is a true believer and who is not.

There are five categories of do's and dont's in Islam

1. Permissable/Halal (trade, halal food)
2. Recommended (male circumcision)
3. Optional (Polygamy)
4. Permissable but not recommended (divorce)
5. Unlawful/Haram (wine, riba etc)

Marriage with people of the Book comes between optional and permissable but not recomended category. other criterias (chaste women etc) mentioned in earlier posts

Note:
Only the Shafiite school of law regards circumcision as obligatory (wajib), while the Hanafite, Jafarite, Malikite, Hanbalite and Zaidite regard it as only recommended, because it is sunnah.