MASJID TIPS

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Okay, So after weeks of Masjid searching, I think I found the perfect one. BUT, I am unsure how to go about it. It will be my FIRST time going, alhamdulilah.

* Should I call ahead of time and set up an appointment of something?
* Should I just show up for Jummah?
* I dont have an Abaya, do I need one before I go??
* Do any of you attend ATLANTA MASJID AL-ISLAM???

* Any more helpful Masjid tips for a young revert Sister??

* What do you like most about the Masjid YOU attend? :SMILY149:

sliver

Okay, So after weeks of Masjid searching, I think I found the perfect one. BUT, I am unsure how to go about it. It will be my FIRST time going, alhamdulilah.

* Should I call ahead of time and set up an appointment of something?
* Should I just show up for Jummah?
* I dont have an Abaya, do I need one before I go??

* Any more helpful Masjid tips for a young revert Sister??

I would like to say just show up for Jummah but am not so sure. Haha that's funny I never knew you could make appointment. Then again am not from Atlanta so it might be different there.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Call ahead of time; call and leave a voice mail. Often the imam will have his wife contact you and meet you for jumma. Muslims love to give gifts. If you call ahead of time and explain you are new..they will provide you with prayer beads, a prayer rug, and often clothing.

Tips:

Long skirt, full sleeves, loose jacket, and socks. Make sure whatever you wear it is easy to make woodu. Common sense..avoid sleeves with cuffs..hard to pull up. No slits in skirt..but full enough to move.

Call and see if they have a feast after the prayer service. You make want to take snacks.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalaam walaikum,

Call ahead of time; call and leave a voice mail. Often the imam will have his wife contact you and meet you for jumma. Muslims love to give gifts. If you call ahead of time and explain you are new..they will provide you with prayer beads, a prayer rug, and often clothing.

Tips:

Long skirt, full sleeves, loose jacket, and socks. Make sure whatever you wear it is easy to make woodu. Common sense..avoid sleeves with cuffs..hard to pull up. No slits in skirt..but full enough to move.

Call and see if they have a feast after the prayer service. You make want to take snacks.

Jazakallah Khair Sr. Aapa.

I have headscarves, so I will probably wear one, Insha'Allah.
I also have some nice modest tops & bottoms...So it will suffice insha Allah until I get a proper abaya. I will have to call, although I hate calling X__x I dislike phones. I wish I could email x)

your-sister

Masha'allah sister, I don't even remember the first time I went to a masjid, probably the fisrt day i was born lol. But I'm sure you'll Love it, It's The House Of Allah after all:) it's where you find happiness, calmnessand peace of heart and mind,,, once you find out the place i suggest you go there often just to keep yourself and emaan high and fresh,,,
May Allah make it easy for you.
let's us know of your experinece afterwards

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Wonderful thread! Jazakallah Khair sister :)

I can't wait to hear about your experience! :)

Me neither...mashaAllaah:)

I am pretty sure you'll enjoy it there inshaAllaah.

The Masjid I attend is pretty diverse.....alhamdulililah, it's a blessing here. I guess it sorta depends on the masjid you go to...sometimes it takes few seconds where you have every sister congratulating you....and sometimes you just seem like "just another Muslim" :) meaning people will not realize weather it's your first day or not. (the later rarely happens)
:hearts: hope you have a very good experience:D just make sure you share it with us:hearts:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

:salam2:

I googled it up. It says that mosque was built under the leadership of Imam W. Deen Mohammed, who converted people back to Islam from Nation of Islam. So I think the majority of people frequenting it would be non-whites.

I thought I would mention it, incase you haven't noticed.

I hope it goes well for you InshaAllah.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

The masjid is a place where you leave behind your worldly worries and remember Allah azz zawajal. That is perhaps the thing that attracts me the most. I find peace and tranquility at the masjid, be it prayer or halaqa.

In addition, it is the place where the pious and noble men gather. Their company is something I value highly. Often times we gain a lot of beneficial knowledge from these people. Such gatherings increase your Eeman (faith) and feel encouraged to strive more in the path of Allah azz zawajal.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Excellent advice, respected sister Aapa. A woman's feet has to be covered during Salah (prayer). I am glad that you brought it up in this thread.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!

salaam

alhamdulillah.. the masjid i attend now is free from innovations. really helps whoever want to read Qur'aan.

and sometimes... interesting :). today one of my brother in islam shared his experience with his former Qur'aan teacher, who asked him to read the second chapter surah baqarah as he thought that the brother is confident enough.

this brother started reading it..' alif laam meem..' lightening fast.. till the page end.

in the next page..
brother: "................."
teacher: what happened? you have read it so fast...
brother: but those are the verses i have memorized before.. hehehe..

i hope you have a nice experience, in sha Allah, sister.

Tariq Rahman

Practising Muslim
Assalamu alaikum WRWB (May Allah (SWT) blessings & mercy be on all of you)

Masha Allah Sister this is amazing can't wait to hear your first experience about feeling that peace & happiness which is not only for the body but for the soul its amazing....

Sister one request on behalf of the whole TTI family (brothers & sisters) when you experience the Masjid and that peace I'm sure it will touch your soul and when you'll ask Dua please do rememeber all TTI family...

Jazak Allah Khair..
May Allah (SWT) forgive all our mistakes/sins and guide us to the straight path, the path of those who have received his grace & mercy Ameen!

alf2

Islam is a way of life

I googled it up. It says that mosque was built under the leadership of Imam W. Deen Mohammed, who converted people back to Islam from Nation of Islam. So I think the majority of people frequenting it would be non-whites.

I thought I would mention it, incase you haven't noticed.

I hope it goes well for you InshaAllah.

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed. BUT I dont care about race, I myself am of European decent. I would be the only light skinned person.

After doing more research on Imam W. Deen Mohammad, I feel that is not scary. Yes he was in the Nation of Islam, but then he converted to Sunni Islam, the true Islam. At this point I was still comfortable.

Then, I saw some pictures of their schools. And they're named after "Muhammad" Not our Prophet (aallailahu alayhi wasallam) But Elijah Muhammad, leader & false prophet of the Nation of Islam... :girl3:

That is a problem where I live, most Mosque's have roots and are named for people in the Nation of Islam. This is very depressing to me.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I found a masjid in Decatur, Georgia. Here is the link :-

http://www.assalafi.com/

The only problem is that it doesn't seem to have a proper building (if you look at their photo section). They have many worthwhile classes and link ups with reputable scholars/people of knowledge.

alf2

Islam is a way of life

I found a masjid in Decatur, Georgia. Here is the link :-

http://www.assalafi.com/

The only problem is that it doesn't seem to have a proper building (if you look at their photo section). They have many worthwhile classes and link ups with reputable scholars/people of knowledge.

Hrrm...I saw that one too.
I still plan to attend a Masjid, i'm leaning toward Masjid An-Nur, which does not have a website. But they are not connected to the NoI and seem very serious...Another problem I had with the Masjid I mentioned in my OP, is that girls wore hijab with shorts, short sleeves, ear rings showing, etc. :S

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The NOI Muslims have their own set of rules. I, stupid me, have gotten into arguments with some of the females. They drink water and eat fruit during Ramadan. I told them it was a no-no.

My concern with the NOI is the are fundamentally Southern Baptist. They recite from the Bible and not the Quran. May Allah forgive me..but I have heard..and Jesus said. It is still the "old time religion". I do not know if you are old enough to remember the phrase.

I love my masjid because the brothers broke down and gave me a key. I go and play in the masjid when no-one else is there. I have a great small community. They are primarily physicians and students. We have me to entertain them and keep them on their toes. I am the one who puts up the posters and they know I love my Gaza.

Just keep in mind you will have the angels of Allah at the masjid. ( right foot first ).