Missing Prayers

--10--

:salam2:

How should one make up a prayer if the time is gone?

For example, let's say I missed Asr prayer and now it is time for me to pray Maghrib...should I proceed to pray Maghrib first and then offer Asr prayer OR I must pray Asr before praying Maghrib?

fahmu

ws wr wb sis this is a very good question. as i was thought, you do pray at the moment you remember the one that you forgot. So, if you forgot Asr and Maghrib is there then you pray Asr first and then Maghrib because you can't leave Asr too even though you forgot is still required. Allah knows best.

umm... i have a question similar to this too. Lets say you forgot Asr and you already prayed Maghrib and Isha'. You probably remebered the Asr at night or maybe the next day. What would you do?

jzk, sis Fahmu

assalamu 3aleykum

mayah

assalamualaikum,sis Fahmu..u have to pray at the moment u remember even u already prayed maghrib and isya'.Hop Allah bless us even sometimes we forgot to pray and can't stay away from sins..

--10--

ws wr wb sis this is a very good question. as i was thought, you do pray at the moment you remember the one that you forgot. So, if you forgot Asr and Maghrib is there then you pray Asr first and then Maghrib because you can't leave Asr too even though you forgot is still required. Allah knows best.

umm... i have a question similar to this too. Lets say you forgot Asr and you already prayed Maghrib and Isha'. You probably remebered the Asr at night or maybe the next day. What would you do?

jzk, sis Fahmu

assalamu 3aleykum

first of all sis fahmu i'm not a "sis" :SMILY303:
i'm a bro...
but yea for example tonight I missed all my prayers...yes i know, very bad :S and I'm going to pray all of them before I sleep...it is 4:16 am here.

So since I missed all the 5 prayers today , the way I'm going to do it is to pray Isha first since it was the most recent prayer...and then I'm going to do maghrib, asr, dhuhr, and fajr...so basically i'm going backwards...if anyone knows that this is wrong please clarify

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
You are right brother, attend to most recent prayer. If you want my advise, I think you know what I will say...pls try your best not to miss prayers anymore.

Abd El Rahman

proud to be a Muslim
no, u should pray in the original order
frist fagr then dhuhr and so on

there is somthing i want to say....... 4 example : if u didnt pray asr and maghrib
and isha is coming soon ,u can pray maghrib frist then asr(in this case only)

Abd El Rahman

proud to be a Muslim
You are right brother, attend to most recent prayer. If you want my advise, I think you know what I will say...pls try your best not to miss prayers anymore
u r sure abuot this ..cause i heared shikh sayin the opposit

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd

How should one make up a prayer if the time is gone?

For example, let's say I missed Asr prayer and now it is time for me to pray Maghrib...should I proceed to pray Maghrib first and then offer Asr prayer OR I must pray Asr before praying Maghrib?

well i think you have to offer first maghrib prayer and then you have offer asr prayer... because (logically) right now you heard azan of maghrib not of asr; so, you have to offer maghrib prayer first and then asr prayer ;as per of my knowledge

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

I am very sorry for you, but, what is written above, is wrong.. and people should refrain from giving fatawa...

Infact, you can not make up your prayers. If you missed them with NO legitimate excuse, then you can not make them up. They have gone, and it has been a very big sin.

As for those who have excuse and missed a prayer( If you forgot, or you slept through the time, then you can make them up.) , then the following is how to make up the prayer, as taken from IslamQA:

Praise be to Allaah. It is obligatory to make up missed prayers in the proper order, according to the majority of scholars.

Ibn Qudaamah said (al-Mughni, 1/352): In conclusion, it is essential to offer missed prayers in order. This was stated by Ahmad in several places… and a similar view was narrated from al-Nakha’i, al-Zuhri, Rabee’ah, Yahya al-Ansaari, Maalik, al-Layth, Abu Haneefah and Ishaaq.

Al-Shaafa’i said: It is not essential, because one is making up an obligatory prayer that has been missed, so it is not essential to offer them in order, as with fasting… Once this is established, then it is essential to offer them in order even if they are many. This was stated by Ahmad.

Maalik and Abu Haneefah said that they do not have to be offered in order if there are more than a day and a night of prayers, because doing that with regard to more than that period would be too difficult. So the obligation is waived, just like making up missed Ramadaan fasts in sequence.
End quote from al-Mughni, 1/352.

From this it may be understood that offering missed prayers should be done in sequence according to the majority of Hanafis, Maalikis and Hanbalis, except that the Hanafis and Maalikis do not say it is obligatory if the prayers of more than one day and one night have been missed.

The way in which the missed prayers are made up in order is to do the missed prayers in the same order as the prescribed prayers. So whoever misses Zuhr and ‘Asr, for example, should pray Zuhr first, then ‘Asr.

But the obligation to do them in order is waived in the case of one who forgets or was ignorant, or if there is the fear that the time for the current prayer will end soon, or if one fears missing out on a prayer in congregation – according to the more correct view.

If a person owes two prayers, Zuhr and ‘Asr for example, and starts with ‘Asr by mistake or because he is unaware that the missed prayers should be offered in order, his prayer is valid.

If he fears that if he starts with the prayers he missed the time for ‘Asr prayer will end, then he should pray ‘Asr first, then pray whatever prayers he owes.
Similarly if he enters the mosque, should he offer the current prayer with the congregation or make up what he has missed first? Ahmad, according to one report which was also favoured by Shaykh al-Islam, was of the view that he does not have to offer the prayers in sequence if he fears that he will miss out on praying with the congregation.

But in this case he should join the congregation with the intention of offering the missed prayer. So if a person has missed Zuhr and he comes to the mosque and they are praying ‘Asr, he can pray with the congregation with the intention of praying Zuhr, and it does not matter if his intention is different from that of the imam. Then he can pray ‘Asr after that.
See al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/138-144.
And Allaah knows best.

fada_all

assalamu alaykum,

I am very sorry for you, but, what is written above, is wrong.. and people should refrain from giving fatawa...

Infact, you can not make up your prayers. If you missed them with NO legitimate excuse, then you can not make them up. They have gone, and it has been a very big sin.

As for those who have excuse and missed a prayer( If you forgot, or you slept through the time, then you can make them up.) , then the following is how to make up the prayer, as taken from IslamQA:

Praise be to Allaah. It is obligatory to make up missed prayers in the proper order, according to the majority of scholars.

Ibn Qudaamah said (al-Mughni, 1/352): In conclusion, it is essential to offer missed prayers in order. This was stated by Ahmad in several places… and a similar view was narrated from al-Nakha’i, al-Zuhri, Rabee’ah, Yahya al-Ansaari, Maalik, al-Layth, Abu Haneefah and Ishaaq.

Al-Shaafa’i said: It is not essential, because one is making up an obligatory prayer that has been missed, so it is not essential to offer them in order, as with fasting… Once this is established, then it is essential to offer them in order even if they are many. This was stated by Ahmad.

Maalik and Abu Haneefah said that they do not have to be offered in order if there are more than a day and a night of prayers, because doing that with regard to more than that period would be too difficult. So the obligation is waived, just like making up missed Ramadaan fasts in sequence.
End quote from al-Mughni, 1/352.

From this it may be understood that offering missed prayers should be done in sequence according to the majority of Hanafis, Maalikis and Hanbalis, except that the Hanafis and Maalikis do not say it is obligatory if the prayers of more than one day and one night have been missed.

The way in which the missed prayers are made up in order is to do the missed prayers in the same order as the prescribed prayers. So whoever misses Zuhr and ‘Asr, for example, should pray Zuhr first, then ‘Asr.

But the obligation to do them in order is waived in the case of one who forgets or was ignorant, or if there is the fear that the time for the current prayer will end soon, or if one fears missing out on a prayer in congregation – according to the more correct view.

If a person owes two prayers, Zuhr and ‘Asr for example, and starts with ‘Asr by mistake or because he is unaware that the missed prayers should be offered in order, his prayer is valid.

If he fears that if he starts with the prayers he missed the time for ‘Asr prayer will end, then he should pray ‘Asr first, then pray whatever prayers he owes.
Similarly if he enters the mosque, should he offer the current prayer with the congregation or make up what he has missed first? Ahmad, according to one report which was also favoured by Shaykh al-Islam, was of the view that he does not have to offer the prayers in sequence if he fears that he will miss out on praying with the congregation.

But in this case he should join the congregation with the intention of offering the missed prayer. So if a person has missed Zuhr and he comes to the mosque and they are praying ‘Asr, he can pray with the congregation with the intention of praying Zuhr, and it does not matter if his intention is different from that of the imam. Then he can pray ‘Asr after that.
And Allaah knows best.

salam alikom

jazaka allah khir brother for ur masha allah excilent answer.because i was surprised with the above answers which were given by brothers , it is very dangerous to give fatwa of sth u r not sure of it because one will make other lost " adozo billah min addalal"
may allah guides us all and increase our konwledge la ilha illa allah

PARVEZ SHAHIDI

assalamu alaykum,

And Allaah knows best.

Brother I am a bit confused here. Say I missed Asr prayer and when I reach masjid, Imam is just starting Magrib prayer so I join the congregation. Now Asr prayer is 4 Rakas and Magrib prayer is 3 Rakas. Imam will say Salam after 3 Rakas, what should I do now? Please inform.

Also Say I missed Magrib prayer and when I reach masjid, I see the Imam is just starting Isha prayer so I join the congregation with the intention of praying Magrib. Now Magrib is 3 Rakas but the Imam will continue after 3 Rakas because Isha is 4 Rakas. What should I do now?

:jazaak: for your answer in advance.

daywalker

Brother I am a bit confused here. Say I missed Asr prayer and when I reach masjid, Imam is just starting Magrib prayer so I join the congregation. Now Asr prayer is 4 Rakas and Magrib prayer is 3 Rakas. Imam will say Salam after 3 Rakas, what should I do now? Please inform.
assalamualaikum

your example doesnt match with the given answer. cause zohar and asr is 4 rakah but not maghrib.

Abd El Rahman

proud to be a Muslim

Also Say I missed Magrib prayer and when I reach masjid, I see the Imam is just starting Isha prayer so I join the congregation with the intention of praying Magrib. Now Magrib is 3 Rakas but the Imam will continue after 3 Rakas because Isha is 4 Rakas. What should I do now?

:jazaak: for your answer in advance.
Ibn Othaimeen said that prayers should be done in their right order so if imam is praying maghrib ,u pray with him with ur intention is to pray asr and u shouldnt say salam with him ,but u complete the 4th raka frist then u can pray maghrib....similarly if u want to pray maghrib wile imam is praying isha , u should say salam after the third raka then u start praying isha

Abd El Rahman

proud to be a Muslim
That would be contradicting to the Hadeeth, "When a prayer is established (uqeemat), no prayer is to be offered except the mandated one. (mafroodha)" Thus, if he missed `Asr and it's now Maghrib time, Maghrib is prayed then `Asr is compensated later. God knows best.
mandated meens not from (nawafel) but if any one forgot aprayer like asr it is mandated when he remembers(fareda)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

I thought Brother Mabsoot's reply made it clear but here is the fatawa which brother Abd-el-Rahman is referring too (I think),

Question

We forgot to pray 'Asr and we did not remember it until we heard the Adhaan for Maghrib, so we prayed 'Asr after performing the Maghrib prayer. What is the ruling on this?

Answer

If a person forgot to perform a prayer, or he slept through it and there was nobody to wake him or remind him until the time for it had ended, then he should do as the Prophet :saw: said,

He must make up for it as soon as he remembers it, and there is no expiation for it except this.

(al-Bukhaaree no. 597 and Muslim no. 684.)

In such circumstances as those which befell the questioner, he should begin first with the 'Asr prayer and then Maghrib, so as to maintain the correct order, in accordance with what Allaah, the Almighty, the All-Powerful has ordained. This is because when the Prophet :saw: missed prayers on one of the days of the battle of the Trench, he made them up in order. And it has been authentically reported from him :saw: that he said,

Pray as you have seen me praying.

(Al-Bukhaaree no, 631.)

Based upon this, when you come to the mosque while the people were praying Maghrib, you should have joined them with the intention of 'Asr prayer. Then when the Imaam made the Taslim for the Maghrib prayer, you should have stood up and completed the remainder of the 'Asr prayer; thus the prayer would have been Maghrib for the congregation, but 'Asr for you. There is no harm in this - I mean the difference between the intention of the Imaam and that of the worshipper, because the actions are the same, and the differing which the Prophet :saw: forbade between the Imaam and the worshippers was in the actions, not the intention. But since what you did performing the Maghrib prayer before 'Asr was done out of ignorance, there is no harm in it.

Ibn Uthaymeen (Rahimahullaah)

Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 2 - Purification and Prayer, Pg. 245-246.

Walaykum Salaam.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Question

I entered the mosque when 'Isha' prayer had already begun. But before I joined them in the prayer, I remembered that I had not prayed the Maghrib prayer. (In such a case) should I perform the Maghrib prayer, and then catch what I can of the 'Isha' prayer in congregation, or should I perform the Maghrib prayer after that?

Answer

If you entered the mosque while the 'Isha' prayer was in progress, then you remembered that you had not prayed the Maghrib prayer, you should join the congregation with the intention of praying Maghrib, then when the Imaam stands up for the fourth Rak'ah you should remain sitting in the third Rak'ah, and wait until the Imaam makes the Taslim and then make the Taslim with him. And there is no harm in the difference of intentions between the Imaam and the one behind him, according to the most authoritative saying of the scholars. And if you prayed Maghrib alone and then joined what remained of the congregational prayer, there is no objection.

Ibn Baaz (Rahimahullaah)

Reference: Fatawa Islamiyah, Volume 2 - Purification and Prayer, Pg. 250