Moroccan single mother burns herself in protest

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

This is sad but we do need discussion on a very serious issue. I will comment later.

RABAT (Reuters) - A young Moroccan set herself on fire after being excluded from a social housing scheme because she was an unmarried mother, a local government official said on Wednesday.

Morocco introduced a new family law in 2004 that has won it praise from Western countries for giving women more rights than many Arab countries.

But single mothers continue to struggle in the absence of a social safety net as authorities in the Muslim country do not recognize children born out of the wedlock.

Mother-of-two Fadwa Laroui, 25, used flammable liquid to set herself on fire in front of the town hall of Souk Sebt, in central Morocco, late Monday, the town's mayor Boubker Ouchen told Reuters.

Two Souk Sebt residents said Laroui died Wednesday at a Casablanca hospital, but Ouchen could not confirm that. Medical sources at Casablanca's Ibn Rochd hospital, where she was being treated, could not be reached for comment.

Laroui is the first Arab woman known to have set herself on fire in a protest at social conditions after Tunisian fruit vendor Mohamed Bouazizi's self-immolation on December 17 led to a revolution that toppled President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali after 23 years in power and prompted several Arab men to do the same.

Ouchen said Laroui had not benefited from a housing scheme for low-income households because she was "a single mother and has not been a permanent resident of the town."

"Divorced and single women and single mothers live with their parents. The administrative procedure has been applied in full transparency," Ouchen added.

He denied newspaper reports that the authorities had destroyed the shack she, her two children and her parents were living in.

(Reporting by Souhail Karam; Editing by Alison Williams)

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCATRE71M4ZF20110223

Abu Ameerah

Lack of patience and trust in Allah is dangerous. As a Muslim, we should bear all the trials that came our way, after which, Allah will ease our sufferings - if not here in DONYA, it will be in the Hereafter.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I posted this because we turn our backs on single mothers. This is the extreme case of a woman who has nowhere else to go.

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam

I wonder what women will be like when they have to share a man between 50 women... Hmmm

InshaAllah that sign of qiyamah isn't going to be this generation!

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all
im sure it was very difficult for her to have been excluded from the housing scheme but she has only made things worse for herself by committing suicide.
and who is going to look after her 2 young children?
its a stupid thing to do.
and Allah ta'ala knows best.
jazakallah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I posted the English article. I am not accusing anyone. I was seeking compassion. It is very difficult to try and attempt any comprehension of a woman who has nowhere to go.

We have to understand this may be an extreme example but we need to address the issue of single mothers. It is interesting that many are confusing and lumping together single mothers with women of divorce. The woman still is the breadwinner.

I do not understand what this has to with sharing a husband. This is an issue of being abandoned by a man. We have many Muslim men who impregnate women and abscond. Many Muslim men attend school in the west and have fun and leave.

abdellah007

Assalaam walaikum,

I posted the English article. I am not accusing anyone. I was seeking compassion. It is very difficult to try and attempt any comprehension of a woman who has nowhere to go.

We have to understand this may be an extreme example but we need to address the issue of single mothers. It is interesting that many are confusing and lumping together single mothers with women of divorce. The woman still is the breadwinner.

I do not understand what this has to with sharing a husband. This is an issue of being abandoned by a man. We have many Muslim men who impregnate women and abscond. Many Muslim men attend school in the west and have fun and leave.

What I see in your article is "Moroccan single mother burns herself in protest" with more details which is not true and few posters thought she burnt herself.

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all
Exactly! how can we comment on what we dont know?
my comments were based on what was presented in the 1st post.
jazakallah

Abu Talib

Feeling low
The mother didnt burn herself or her children , the reason is still unknown, and it s probably due to a house beside her house where they are selling Unauthorized oil.

The article in arabic

http://www.hespress.com/?browser=view&EgyxpID=28385

we must be aware of accusing others of such things they havent done.

Assalamu`alaykum

You being in that country would be more credible source to know rather than reading and coming to assumptions.

Thanks for the clarification

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Great...but that does not take away from the question I am asking. Do you understand the plight of Muslim women? Do you care. I saw an article for the world to read. I am not debating the merits of the article.

So, I am assuming that we are a group of Muslims who are not interested in what is oppressing Muslim women.

You are evading the question asked. What are the solutions for Muslim women who are single. And please do not tell me it is hell-fire.

We have posts on sisters who are bemoaning being single. Now..I present an article on a single sister who is denied housing for her children. We do not know her circumstances.

And brother I did not make any assumptions.

That is rude and dismissive. It takes away from the duty of the men who are responsible for impregnating and deceiving women. The sin therein lies on Muslim men.

You can not always hide under a blanket and be dismissive. The beast will rear its head.

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all
you sound like a womens lib activist.
it would be better if you said "the plight of muslims" instead of "women".
i also have problems in my life- and i know, deep down, i deserve worse punishment than that due to the sins i commit.
for most of us, the adverse conditions we face are a direct result of the sins we commit.
bad actions go up- unfavourable conditions are decreed for us.
it could also be that Allah ta'ala is putting her through this trial so that she earns a very high rank in Jannah by making sabr.
whatever the case might be, im sure we all sympathise with her but other than making duaah for her, what do you expect us to do?
what did you do for her?
your post really sounds as if you have a chip on your shoulder about something & u are venting here.
no matter what "brilliant" discussions we have here- its not going to help her but our duaahs will definitely be of assistance to her.
jazakallah

MalikBrother

This is nothing compared to what is happening in Pakistan. Let alone unmarried woman with children, even married women are facing hell in Pakistan because of our Muslim brothers. I am man, and as much as it pains me to say that our brothers from today generation have gone nut, and are without moral compass who are completely animal. They pray on the Mosque, and talk about humanity rights and as soon as they leave Mosque, back to being animals as in they have entered to new earth. Sadly, my father is one i can speak, and i have heard many cases like this. Many women were burnt for no reason, and we all know the regularly cases of honor killing. This world has gone nut, and i can understand why Non Muslim approach this way, but our Muslim brothers in spite of Qur'an knowledge and right/wrong, and still manage to violate the law of Islam. That's totally unacceptable, and that explains why Muslim nations still are destabilized, due to corruption, within the system without any help from outsider.

This is even worse considering this woman is unmarried mother or single mother with children, and we know how the society respond, and the last thing we need government and system to respond the same way.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaium,

Sister... I do not have a chip on my shoulder.

I am not a feminist.

What am I doing for the woman. I am bringing to light that we as a collective ummath need to change the way we think. In light of revolution we need to understand that we have to assist women in need.

I do not need an editor. I select my words.

I do not understand why we have so many Muslims without compassion.

You can count your sins and be comfortable in the dire conditions of others by writing and believing they are deserving of their circumstances.

There are many of us who have compassion. We are not there to judge others; we offer love and hope. I do not count the sin of others nor tell them they deserve the condition they are in.

I always tell people to turn to Allah..but if you need a couple of dollars, a shoulder, an ear, a cup of coffee, some food as a Muslim it is my obligation to ameliorate your immediate circumstances.

Life is too short to have a chip on your shoulder...it gets in the way of the Angles of Allah.

We have to get beyond dua. We have to put our dua into action.

Now, I will get in touch with Amnesty International as a start in the right direction.

Finally, why would concern about a single mother who is being denied housing be a negative? What does that have to do with feminism. You are confused. That is called compassion.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

**LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE!** please we dont not need that now.

Ok with that being said, I really dont know much of whats really happening because I am sitting miles and miles away from Morocco. However, I ask Allaah ta'ala to have mercy on her family. Ameen

Sister Aapa, many of us here find suicide as taboo..some of us unfortunately dont think "a Muslim can EVER commit such an act" however, thats not entirely true. Our deen is based on Imaan...if a person's Imaan declines or they're mentally ill; we can expect such a horrid act!! may Allaah safe us all.
What I dont get is, how come we cannot discuss this matters?? I once posted a thread on suicide increase among Muslim teens here in America....till now I dont see a respons :/
are we that scared of the reality??? or are we just in denial?? it aches my heart to know about somebody taking their own life, yet I cannot jump into conclusion and quickly judge. Only the most high knows the reasons WHY??
In which case, I would LOVE to urge all Muslims to turn to Allaah in times of difficulties, He will insha'Allaah show us all a way out.
subhana'Allah....May Allaah forgive us all,

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am not debating. That is not my intent. I am urging us to become aware of social issues outside of revolution.

Suicide is taboo everywhere, sister. I have been a crisis counselor. Believe me I know.

We need to have social organizations to assist those with needs. In order to have functional and effective organizations we need to identify the problems. Single mothers and their plight is one major social issues we can not run away from. The ensuing generation is dependent upon our finding solutions.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
dear sister, you misunderstood my post......I was not talking about *YOU* specifically when I said lets not argue. In fact I was not talking about you at all:/

Its taboo everywhere of course, however, in the Muslim community we RARELY talk about it. Some will frown at you if you something about suicide. I have seen presentations in my high school, all of them geared toward teenagers! None were done by Muslims....we have little to NO organizations finding ways to help us. Then we have the non Muslims here who do lots and lots of work to help teenagers who are lost...sick....and so on. It might be taboo among other communities, but as far as I know, it is worse in OUR UMMAH.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I think we have cultural issues. Baggage that our parents hide. I know how we need to present to the world we are perfect and do not confront issues.

We have no mechanism for proactive measures.
I have asked about programs for sisters at many masjids and none involve social outreach. We are all about success. Go to school excel become a doctor or marry one. Have children and die.

We forget life happens.

That is the reason I selected this article. I just wanted us to become aware.

MalikBrother

dear sister, you misunderstood my post......I was not talking about *YOU* specifically when I said lets not argue. In fact I was not talking about you at all:/

Its taboo everywhere of course, however, in the Muslim community we RARELY talk about it. Some will frown at you if you something about suicide. I have seen presentations in my high school, all of them geared toward teenagers! None were done by Muslims....we have little to NO organizations finding ways to help us. Then we have the non Muslims here who do lots and lots of work to help teenagers who are lost...sick....and so on. It might be taboo among other communities, but as far as I know, it is worse in OUR UMMAH.

That's truth. In most Muslim nations are hopeless about this situation. However, the treating of women, married women, single women with children are still worse, and that doesn't help either which leads to depression, lack of faith, to suicide which is quite normal or at least in Pakistan sadly.

It's important to raise the awareness of the program that must resolve the issues like this, and i believe that's what you are trying to make a point about this, as lack of awareness about program to provide shelter for women are quite overlooked. However, the suicide is not the answer, and in fact, it's quite opposite, but i can't help and wondering until then the setup of program to provide shelter, what must be done to implement in outdated system especially in backward countries at the moment?