Mosques not pointing to the Kaaba

fmpts

I found this on the BBC website: article and got to thinking if the you do not pray towards Mecca, are your prayers valid?

Peace to all,
Matt

Salem9022

yes our prayers are valid, there are hundreds of thousands of masjids around the world that dont point to the right direction not only in makkah. It doesn't mean their prayers are invalid. the Kabbah is only a focul point as to where to pray to, but if a person doesn't know where the kabbah is or the direction is not accurate then still it doesn't matter because we are not praying to the Kabbah we are only using the kabah for direction.

fmpts

yes our prayers are valid, there are hundreds of thousands of masjids around the world that dont point to the right direction not only in makkah. It doesn't mean their prayers are invalid. the Kabbah is only a focul point as to where to pray to, but if a person doesn't know where the kabbah is or the direction is not accurate then still it doesn't matter because we are not praying to the Kabbah we are only using the kabah for direction.
Thank you so much, I was wondering about this last night, and was really interested in the answer. :)

Peace to you,
Matt

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Brother Salem is right...I would like to add that..the only people who have to make sure they pray in the most correct direction of the Ka'aba are the ones in Makkah..which makes total sense..because they live there and can locate the Ka'aba's direction very easily (lucky them! *sigh* :))

:wasalam:

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
:salam2:

Brother Salem is right...I would like to add that..the only people who have to make sure they pray in the most correct direction of the Ka'aba are the ones in Makkah..which makes total sense..because they live there and can locate the Ka'aba's direction very easily (lucky them! *sigh* :))

:wasalam:

I do agree. That's why I think the Qur'an mentioned turn towards Sacred Mosque (Masjidil Haram) not Kaabah. Masjidil Haram is so huge and wide so so long we are pointing towards it our prayers is valid.

And from wheresoever you start forth (for prayers), turn your face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque (at Makkah), that is indeed the truth from your Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what you do. (Qur'an, 2.149).

Having said that, we do have exception in prayers where it is not necessary to pray towards the direction of Kaabah or Masjidil Haram, e.g. from Quranic ayat as per below:

And if you fear (an enemy), perform the prayer on foot or riding. And when you are in safety, offer the prayer in the manner He has taught you, which you knew not (before). (Qur'an: 2.239).

firdaus3

but dont we know that facing towards the KA'ABAH is one of the FARZ of SALAAT?? if it is FARZ then it is important to face the KAABAH. also, if we dont know where the kaaba is, it has become very easy nowadays with all the gadgets that are avaialable in the market for finding the KAABAH.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

I saw this and there was only one thing that occurred to me. Why are the bbc reporting this? What relevance or importance is it as a piece of news for the British public? Probably just something for them to have a laugh at.

The responsibility of praying in the right direction falls on the imaam (prayer leader), not the people.

Akhi, I've been trying to find out about this, so if there is anything you can refer to me on the matter then please do so.

Was-salaam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

I've never heard that hadeeth with reference from the scholars, nor read it any books, but I noticed that this practice is common in Morocco. The second one, I'm aware of. Jazaak Allaahu khayran, I was just asking as I'm interested to know more about this, and what the scholars have said. Anyway, this matter is more important and interesting then the kuffaar media pointlessly reporting that some masaajid in Makkah aren't aligned...

Was-salaam