Music in islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

islamfuture

el salam 3alaukium
a friend asked me the wisdom behind banning music in islam like why they r saying it feed brain and those like what is its advantages
i want a help in this quest and this friends is not muslim :)

auroran

:salam2: akhi,

Muslims don't listen to music because it's a complete waste of time. It's just useless idle talk and it's something people turn to when they're feeling down. Imagine a Muslim who listens to music. He can't have Quran and music in his heart at the same time. People claim that music is good for you (it calms your brain waves or whatever) but so is a calming Quran recitation!

Since kaffirs don't have Allah subhana wa ta'ala in their lives they turn to music. For most of them that's their god!!!

Watch this lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpPGdyjkc_E&feature=channel_video_title

Akhi, what did you mean by music feed the brain?

:salam2:

islamfuture

وعليكم السلام
like music is feed for soul am not that good in english sorry but its said that music feed soul and those
jazukium allah khair for the video

islamfuture

i kwn i knw but they r like taking it from strict in islam like why this is banned why its haram that wat their ideas

BrotherMatthew

Land of the free
:wasalam:

I personally listen to Nasheeds but not often. I think it's OK to listen to them as long as it is not distracting you from things like Reading the Glorious Quran, or doing Dawah. Listening to the Quran is always a better choise though.

islamfuture

I personally listen to Nasheeds but not often. I think it's OK to listen to them as long as it is not distracting you from things like Reading the Glorious Quran, or doing Dawah. Listening to the Quran is always a better choise though.

yes yes i do too listen to nashid and its haram but i mean about which contians musical insruments :) jazak allah khair brother

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum:

Life without Music so,quite and unthinkable. Simple instrumental music is soothing. Cat Stevens really sacrificed a lot.

Regards.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalam Alaikum:

Life without Music so,quite and unthinkable. Simple instrumental music is soothing. Cat Stevens really sacrificed a lot.

Regards.

The heart desires thing that are good for it as well as things that might harm or damage or corrupt it.

The nature of music is known ie it can soothe people, it can arouse people, it can give temporary joy etc.

However, as muslims we nurture our heart according to the revelation sent by Almighty Allah through the Quran and Sunnah. And the prohibition of this instrumental music is found in Quran and Sunnah.

Please read and benefit from the below fatwa :-

Evidence of prohibition in the Qur’aan and Sunnah:

Allaah says in Soorat Luqmaan (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Luqmaan 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40).

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haraam speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytaan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafseer al-Sa’di, 6/150)

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The interpretation of the Sahaabah and Taabi’in, that ‘idle talk’ refers to singing, is sufficient. This was reported with saheeh isnaads from Ibn ‘Abbaas and Ibn Mas’ood. Abu’l-Sahbaa’ said: I asked Ibn Mas’ood about the aayah (interpretation of the meaning), ‘“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks’ [Luqmaan 31:6]. He said: By Allaah, besides Whom there is no other god, this means singing – and he repeated it three times. It was also reported with a saheeh isnaad from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that this means singing. There is no contradiction between the interpretation of “idle talk” as meaning singing and the interpretation of it as meaning stories of the Persians and their kings, and the kings of the Romans, and so on, such as al-Nadr ibn al-Haarith used to tell to the people of Makkah to distract them from the Qur’aan. Both of them are idle talk. Hence Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “Idle talk” is falsehood and singing. Some of the Sahaabah said one and some said the other, and some said both. Singing is worse and more harmful than stories of kings, because it leads to zinaa and makes hypocrisy grow (in the heart); it is the trap of the Shaytaan, and it clouds the mind. The way in which it blocks people from the Qur’aan is worse than the way in which other kinds of false talk block them, because people are naturally inclined towards it and tend to want to listen to it. The aayaat condemn replacing the Qur’aan with idle talk in order to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge and taking it as a joke, because when an aayah of the Qur’aan is recited to such a person, he turns his back as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in his ear. If he hears anything of it, he makes fun of it. All of this happens only in the case of the people who are most stubbornly kaafirs and if some of it happens to singers and those who listen to them, they both have a share of this blame. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/258-259).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“[Allaah said to Iblees:] And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allaah’s disobedience)…” [al-Israa’ 17:64]

It was narrated that Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice” – his voice [the voice of Iblees/Shaytaan] is singing and falsehood. Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This idaafah [possessive or genitive construction, i.e., your voice] serves to make the meaning specific, as with the phrases [translated as] “your cavalry” and “your infantry” [later in the same aayah]. Everyone who speaks in any way that is not obedient to Allaah, everyone who blows into a flute or other woodwind instrument, or who plays any haraam kind of drum, this is the voice of the Shaytaan. Everyone who walks to commit some act of disobedience towards Allaah is part of his [the Shaytaan’s] infantry, and anyone who rides to commit sin is part of his cavalry. This is the view of the Salaf, as Ibn ‘Abi Haatim narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas: his infantry is everyone who walks to disobey Allaah. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Do you then wonder at this recitation (the Qur’aan)?

And you laugh at it and weep not,

Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”

[al-Najm 53:59-61]

‘Ikrimah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: it was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that al-sumood [verbal noun from saamidoon, translated here as “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”] means “singing”, in the dialect of Himyar; it might be said “Ismidi lanaa” [‘sing for us’ – from the same root as saamidoon/sumood] meaning “ghaniy” [sing]. And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him): When they [the kuffaar] heard the Qur’aan, they would sing, then this aayah was revealed.

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning) “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)” – Sufyaan al-Thawri said, narrating from his father from Ibn ‘Abbaas: (this means) singing. This is Yemeni (dialect): ismad lana means ghan lana [sing to us]. This was also the view of ‘Ikrimah. (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

It was reported from Abu Umaamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not sell singing slave women, do not buy them and do not teach them. There is nothing good in this trade, and their price is haraam. Concerning such things as this the aayah was revealed (interpretation of the meaning): ‘And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…’ [Luqmaan 31:6].” (Hasan hadeeth)

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is a saheeh hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, where he quoted it as evidence and stated that it is mu’allaq and majzoom. He said: Chapter on what was narrated concerning those who permit alcohol and call it by another name.

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This hadeeth indicates that ma’aazif are haraam, and ma’aazif means musical instruments according to the scholars of (Arabic) language. This word includes all such instruments. (al-Majmoo’, 11/535).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: And concerning the same topic similar comments were narrated from Sahl ibn Sa’d al-Saa’idi, ‘Imraan ibn Husayn, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas, Abu Hurayrah, Abu Umaamah al-Baahili, ‘Aa’ishah Umm al-Mu’mineen, ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib, Anas ibn Maalik, ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Saabit and al-Ghaazi ibn Rabee’ah. Then he mentioned it in Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, and it indicates that they (musical instruments) are haraam.

It was narrated that Naafi’ (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Ibn ‘Umar heard a woodwind instrument, and he put his fingers in his ears and kept away from that path. He said to me, O Naafi’, can you hear anything? I said, No. So he took his fingers away from his ears and said: I was with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he heard something like this, and he did the same thing. (Saheeh Abi Dawood). Some insignificant person said that this hadeeth does not prove that musical instruments are haraam, because if that were so, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have instructed Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) to put his fingers in his ears as well, and Ibn ‘Umar would have instructed Naafi’ to do likewise! The response to this is: He was not listening to it, but he could hear it. There is a difference between listening and hearing. Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Concerning (music) which a person does not intend to listen to, there is no prohibition or blame, according to scholarly consensus. Hence blame or praise is connected to listening, not to hearing. The one who listens to the Qur’aan will be rewarded for it, whereas the one who hears it without intending or wanting to will not be rewarded for that, because actions are judged by intentions. The same applies to musical instruments which are forbidden: if a person hears them without intending to, that does not matter. (al-Majmoo’, 10/78).

Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the listener is the one who intends to hear, which was not the case with Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both); what happened in his case was hearing. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) needed to know when the sound stopped because he had moved away from that path and blocked his ears. So he did not want to go back to that path or unblock his ears until the noise had stopped, so when he allowed Ibn ‘Umar to continue hearing it, this was because of necessity. (al-Mughni, 10/173)

(Even though the hearing referred to in the comments of the two imaams is makrooh, it was permitted because of necessity, as we will see below in the comments of Imaam Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him). And Allaah knows best).

The views of the scholars (imaams) of Islam

Al-Qaasim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Singing is part of falsehood. Al-Hasan (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: if there is music involved in a dinner invitation (waleemah), do not accept the invitation (al-Jaami by al-Qayrawaani, p. 262-263).

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The view of the four Imaams is that all kinds of musical instruments are haraam. It was reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari and elsewhere that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that there would be among his ummah those who would allow zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments, and he said that they would be transformed into monkeys and pigs… None of the followers of the imaams mentioned any dispute concerning the matter of music. (al-Majmoo’, 11/576).

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The four madhhabs are agreed that all musical instruments are haraam. (al-Saheehah, 1/145).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The madhhab of Abu Haneefah is the strictest in this regard, and his comments are among the harshest. His companions clearly stated that it is haraam to listen to all musical instruments such as the flute and the drum, even tapping a stick. They stated that it is a sin which implies that a person is a faasiq (rebellious evil doer) whose testimony should be rejected. They went further than that and said that listening to music is fisq (rebellion, evildoing) and enjoying it is kufr (disbelief). This is their words. They narrated in support of that a hadeeth which could not be attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). They said: he should try not to hear it if he passes by it or it is in his vicinity. Abu Yoosuf said, concerning a house from which could be heard the sound of musical instruments: Go in without their permission, because forbidding evil actions is obligatory, and if it were not allowed to enter without permission, people could not have fulfilled the obligatory duty (of enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil). (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/425).

Imaam Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about playing the drum or flute, if a person happens to hear the sound and enjoy it whilst he is walking or sitting. He said: He should get up if he finds that he enjoys it, unless he is sitting down for a need or is unable to get up. If he is on the road, he should either go back or move on. (al-Jaami’ by al-Qayrawaani, 262). He (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The only people who do things like that, in our view, are faasiqs.” (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 14/55).

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Among the types of earnings which are haraam by scholarly consensus are ribaa, the fee of a prostitute, anything forbidden, bribes, payment for wailing over the dead and singing, payments to fortune-tellers and those who claim to know the unseen and astrologers, payments for playing flutes, and all kinds of gambling. (al-Kaafi).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, explaining the view of Imaam al-Shaafa'i: His companions who know his madhhab (point of view) stated that it is haraam and denounced those who said that he permitted it. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/425).

The author of Kifaayat al-Akhbaar, who was one of the Shaafa’is, counted musical instruments such as flutes and others, as being munkar (evil), and the one who is present (where they are being played) should denounce them. (He cannot be excused by the fact that there are bad scholars, because they are corrupting the sharee’ah, or evil faqeers – meaning the Sufis, because they call themselves fuqaraa’ or faqeers – because they are ignorant and follow anyone who makes noise; they are not guided by the light of knowledge; rather they are blown about by every wind. (Kifaayat al-Akhbaar, 2/128).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: With regard to the view of Imaam Ahmad, his son ‘Abd-Allaah said: I asked my father about singing. He said: Singing makes hypocrisy grow in the heart; I do not like it. Then he mentioned the words of Maalik: the evildoers (faasiqs) among us do that. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan).

Ibn Qudaamah, the researcher of the Hanbali madhhab – (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Musical instruments are of three types which are haraam. These are the strings and all kinds of flute, and the lute, drum and rabaab (stringed instrument) and so on. Whoever persists in listening to them, his testimony should be rejected. (al-Mughni, 10/173). And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him); If a person is invited to a gathering in which there is something objectionable, such as wine and musical instruments, and he is able to denounce it, then he should attend and speak out against it, because then he will be combining two obligatory duties. If he is not able to do that, then he should not attend. (al-Kaafi, 3/118)

Al-Tabari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The scholars of all regions are agreed that singing is makrooh and should be prevented. Although Ibraaheem ibn Sa’d and ‘Ubayd-Allaah al-‘Anbari differed from the majority, (it should be noted that) the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Adhere to the majority.” And whoever dies differing from the majority, dies as a jaahili. (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 14/56). In earlier generations, the word “makrooh” was used to mean haraam, then it took on the meaning of “disliked”. But this is to be understood as meaning that it is forbidden, because he [al-Tabari] said “it should be prevented”, and nothing is to be prevented except that which is haraam; and because in the two hadeeths quoted, music is denounced in the strongest terms. Al-Qurtubi (may Allaah have mercy on him) is the one who narrated this report, then he said: Abu’l-Faraj and al-Qaffaal among our companions said: the testimony of the singer and the dancer is not to be accepted. I say: if it is proven that this matter is not permissible, then accepting payment for it is not permissible either.

Shaykh al-Fawzaan (may Allaah preserve him) said: What Ibraaheem ibn Sa’d and ‘Ubayd-Allaah al-‘Anbari said about singing is not like the kind of singing that is known nowadays, for they would never have allowed this kind of singing which is the utmost in immorality and obscenity. (al-I’laam)

Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is not permissible to make musical instruments. (al-Majmoo’, 22/140). And he said: According to the majority of fuqahaa’, it is permissible to destroy musical instruments, such as the tanboor [a stringed instrument similar to a mandolin]. This is the view of Maalik and is the more famous of the two views narrated from Ahmad. (al-Majmoo’, 28/113). And he said: …Ibn al-Mundhir mentioned that the scholars were agreed that it is not permissible to pay people to sing and wail… the consensus of all the scholars whose views we have learned about is that wailing and singing are not allowed. Al-Shu’bi, al-Nakha’i and Maalik regarded that as makrooh [i.e., haraam]. Abu Thawr, al-Nu’maan – Abu Haneefah (may Allaah have mercy on him) – and Ya’qoob and Muhammad, two of the students of Abu Haneefah said: it is not permissible to pay anything for singing and wailing. This is our view. And he said: musical instruments are the wine of the soul, and what it does to the soul is worse than what intoxicating drinks do. (Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 10/417).

Ibn Abi Shaybah (may Allaah have mercy on him) reported that a man broke a mandolin belonging to another man, and the latter took his case to Shurayh. But Shurayh did not award him any compensation – i.e., he did not make the first man pay the cost of the mandolin, because it was haraam and had no value. (al-Musannaf, 5/395).

Al-Baghawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) stated in a fatwa that it is haraam to sell all kinds of musical instruments such as mandolins, flutes, etc. Then he said: If the images are erased and the musical instruments are altered, then it is permissible to sell their parts, whether they are silver, iron, wood or whatever. (Sharh al-Sunnah, 8/28)

Link :- http://islamqa.com/en/ref/5000/

tariq353

indeed music is haram n there is no doubt over this .......

let me share my personal experience which forced me to leave music upto large extent........

jst like others i usd to listen n repeat songs......but then i heard lecture in which scholar questions that hv u evr tried to understand what u listen to.... it was like huhhhh.... truly i never...!!!!!

Actually music has a tendency(intoxicant effect) which forces listener to repeat the song/words/phrases agn and agn without actually pondering over the meaning.

if we start understanding the meaning n evn if we hv jst basic level knowledge of islam/tawheed we will come to knw that almost all songs clash with the same.

from that time i started pondering ovr the actual meaning of song.... and...omg all songs were clashing with Quran n sunnah.....n i never realised :(

Wa salam

:)

[nyt]8WM2cW30lzI[/nyt]

sachin4islam

The heart desires thing that are good for it as well as things that might harm or damage or corrupt it.

The nature of music is known ie it can soothe people, it can arouse people, it can give temporary joy etc.

However, as muslims we nurture our heart according to the revelation sent by Almighty Allah through the Quran and Sunnah. And the prohibition of this instrumental music is found in Quran and Sunnah.

Please read and benefit from the below fatwa :-

Link :- http://islamqa.com/en/ref/5000/

Assalam Alaikum: Br.

As far as remember,I read in Quran about Poetry( Shayri) that poets (Shayers) are not intelligent people for they create fake compositions. Correct me if I am wrong.

About music did not come across any commandment by Allah in Quran. But as Tafseer of the verse quoted in the mentioned Fatwa,interprets Music as Haram,I undoubtedly accept it. Though I would like to mention,I just listen Arabic instrumental music and thats all. But now InshaAllah I would be very careful.

Thanks Br. for your references.

Regards.

sachin4islam

indeed music is haram n there is no doubt over this .......

let me share my personal experience which forced me to leave music upto large extent........

jst like others i usd to listen n repeat songs......but then i heard lecture in which scholar questions that hv u evr tried to understand what u listen to.... it was like huhhhh.... truly i never...!!!!!

Actually music has a tendency(intoxicant effect) which forces listener to repeat the song/words/phrases agn and agn without actually pondering over the meaning.

if we start understanding the meaning n evn if we hv jst basic level knowledge of islam/tawheed we will come to knw that almost all songs clash with the same.

from that time i started pondering ovr the actual meaning of song.... and...omg all songs were clashing with Quran n sunnah.....n i never realised :(

Wa salam

[nyt]8WM2cW30lzI[/nyt]

[B]Assalam Alaikum: Tariq.

What you posted really makes a big sense. Excellent.

I remember a Hindi movie song ''Khuda bhi aasma se jab dekhta hoga mere mehboob ko kisne banaya sochata hoga". Perhaps the lyric is by a Muslim poet. How the poet has distorted the attributes of our Creator.

Regards.[/B]

tariq353

[Assalam Alaikum: Tariq.

What you posted really makes a big sense. Excellent.

I remember a Hindi movie song ''Khuda bhi aasma se jab dekhta hoga mere mehboob ko kisne banaya sochata hoga". Perhaps the lyric is by a Muslim poet. How the poet has distorted the attributes of our Creator.

Regards.

wa alaikm as salam: Abdullah Bhai

u presented a wonderful example of what i wanted to convey... i do remember this song ''Khuda bhi aasma se jab dekhta hoga mere mehboob ko kisne banaya sochata hoga"(meaning--> Evn god would v wondering after looking at my lover that, who has created her?? )..... meaning of this song is noting but clear cut shirk....... even singer Mohammed Rafi (usd to be very practicing muslim) realised this fact n repented a lot later...

jazak allah khair

wa salam

auroran

Music infects the soul. That's why we see Muslims claiming that music is not haram, because they find this waste of time 'calming' and 'essential'!!! The Quran is totally forgotten.

islamfuture

Assalam Alaikum
jazakoum allah khair all allah please you all inca2allah
of course i wont add any word after all this perfect and nice words
but i have something according to Psychologists noise is from Factors of Dispersal Attention but how music can me noise
this is simple example for this like from the most of peoples do it like music always on while they r driving and if this was like rock music or or hip hop you will find the driver like jumping up and down out of his chair and this is factors of accidents and if it was slow youll find the man like very slow attnetion and concentrtation and very slow reaction this is example
but if this man like not doing anything like his spare time and listening to music what is its effect i see it will be wasting of time and if it was like its words is good but there is muical instrumnts effect this effect as i said have effect towords reactions and his behavious and actions so the best is like words with no musical insruments will let u think of the words and what it shows like in nasheeds the words like must not wasting of time no its like advices remind u of allah and so on
i hope i could express my simple thought
Assalam Alaikum

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

Below is an article that I found that disperses any doubts cast about the Isnaad of the Hadeeth. Generally people who claim that Music is okay due to the "weaknesses" in the chain hang on tight to the statement of Ibn Hazm. Pretty sad that people always look for loop-holes in this deen of Allaah.

------------------------------------------------------

Prior to a discussion of the meaning of the part of this hadeeth relevant to this treatise, it is necessary to refute certain unfounded criticisms of its authenticity directed at it by a few scholars of the past and present, struggling under unfortunate misconceptions.

At the beginning of the isnaad, Imam Al-Bukhaari related, "Qaala Hishaamu-bnu Ammaar..."("Hishaam bin Ammaar said...") This statement was misconstrued by Ibn Hazm to indicate that there is a missing link between Al-Bukaari and the next narrator (i.e Hishaam), [1] implying that the hadeeth's isnaad is disconnected (munqati') and therefore not valid as proof in the prohibition of music, song, musical instruments, etc. This type of isnaad, termed mu'allaq, contains a missing link. However, Al-Bukaari's hadeeth is authentic, because there exist fully-connected chains for it which fulfill the condition of authenticity. This was stated by the great critical scholar of hadeeth, Shaykh Ibnus-Salaah, in his celebrated work, Uloomul Hadeeeth (his treatise on the science or methodology of hadeeth criticism and assessment). In his commentary of Saheehul Bukhaari, entitled Fat-hul Baari, Ibn Hajar mentioned Ibnus Salaah's meticulous refutation of Ibn Hazm's statement. [2]

Among the other great critical scholars of hadeeth who mentioned that the isnaad is soundly connected (mowsool) is Ibn Hajar's shaykh, Al-Haafidh Al-Iraaqi. He stated that the isnaad is found connected in Al-Ismaa'eeli's work, entitled Al-Mustakhraj, which collects together other chains of narrators (or similar ones) for the same hadeeths mentioned in Al-Bukhaari's collection.

And finally, there is Ibn Hajar's distinctive work, Taghleequt Ta'leeq, a rare and stupendous masterpiece, which brings together connected, authentic chains (asaneed) of transmitters for those traditions which appear in Al-Bukhaari's compilation in the form of the disconnected (mu'alliq) type of hadeeth, thereby dispelling accrued misconceptions regarding the claim of "weak" hadeeths occuring in the text (matn) of Al-Jaamis As-Saheeh.

After quoting other complete, authentic chains [3] for the tradition under study, along with the sources wherein such chains of transmitters are mentioned, [4] Ibn Hajar concludes by emphasizing (in reference to Al-Bukhaari's narration):

"This is an authentic hadeeth. It has no deficiency or defect, and there is no point of weakness for any attack to be made on it. Abu Muhammed Ibn Hazam labeled it as defective by virtue of his claim that there is a break [intiqaa'] in the chain between Al-Bukhaari and Sadaqah bin Khaalid and because of the difference of opinion regarding the name of Abu Maalik [5] As you've seen, I have quoted nine fully-connected chains of transmission (asaneed) whose narrators are thoroughly dependable. As for the difference regarding the kunyah of the companions, they are all of impeccable repute. Further more, in Ibn Hibbaan's narration, the transmitter stated that he heard from both of them... [6] I have in my possession yet other chains which could be presented here, however, I would not like to prolong this subject further by mentioning them. In what we have stated there is enough proof for the sensible, thinking person. And Allah is the grantor of success." [7]

In short, this particular narration of Al-Bukhaari is authentic and consequently constitutes a valid and binding text to be referred to in determining the ruling (hukm) regarding music.

It should be mentioned that certain modern-day writers, who blindly imitate previous scholars by quoting their views without applying the critical sciences of hadeeth research, have merely parroted the position of Ibn Hazm, and due to this, have caused many unwary persons to go astray regarding this issue. For example, Yoosuf Al-Qardaawi, in his popular book, entitled Al-Halaal wal Haraam fil Islam, [8] says in regard to the extant hadeths on music: "As for what has been mentioned by way of prophetic traditions [relating to the subject of music], all of these have been assessed to have some point or another of weakness according to the fuqahaa of hadeeth and its scholars. [9] The Qaadi Abu Bakr Ibnul-Arabi said, 'There is no authentic hadeeth prohibiting singing.' And Ibn Hazm said, 'Every hadeeth related [prohibiting music and singing] is false and forged." [10]

Unfortunately, the statement that "all" the narrations are weak according to "scholars of hadeeth" is a gross error on Al-Qardaawi's part and is not the result of meticulous critical research. Rather, it is due to an uncritical, blind acceptance of the words of Ibn Hazm and Ibnul-Arabi. Ibn Hazm was no doubt a virtuous, sharp-minded scholar; however, in the area of hadeth assessment and verification (as is the case in many aspects of his school of Dhaahiri fiqh), he has certain untenable and unfounded, even some very abnormal views. [11] The accomplished hadeeth scholar and student of Ibn Taymiyyah, Al-Haafidh Ibn Abdul-Haadi, says of Ibn Hazm that "he often errs in his critical assessment of the degrees of traditions and on the conditions of their narrators." [12] In fact, there is unanimous consensus among the most reputable critical scholars of hadeeth regarding Ibn Hazm's erroneous assignment of a ruling of d'af (weakness) to Al-Bukhaari's hadeeth. Regarding the degree of this hadeeth, the views of Ibnus-Salaah, Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalaani and Al-Haafidh Al-Iraaqi have already been mentioned. Among the qualified scholars who also agree with his assessment are the great scholars, Ibnul-Qayyim and Ibn Taymiyyah. Ibnul-Arabi is similar to Ibn Hazm in that he is quick to give a ruling of forgery or weakness on a hadeeth, without the necessary, detailed analysis and synthesis of all extant chains of narration relating to the subject. Had he executed such an analysis, undoubtedly he would have arrived at a sound decision and avoided much blame and censure.

Having established the authenticity of the aforementioned narration recorded in Imam Al-Bukaari's compilation, the meaning of his hadeeth and its stand as an indisputable proof of the unlawfulness of music may now be discussed. End quote.

For information regarding Mu'allaq Hadith, the following quotations should help rearding the ones in Saheeh Al-Bukhaari:

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “If the hadeeth has only one isnaad, or it includes a number of rulings and needs to be repeated, then in that case he (imam Bukhari) may quote only the text of the hadeeth, or may shorten the isnaad.” [al-Nukat (1/325)]

Al-Suyooti said: “Most of the reports of this type (i.e. Mullaq hadeeth) in al-Bukhaari appear with the full isnaad (mawsool) elsewhere in his book, but he narrated them in mu’allaq form for the sake of brevity and so as to avoid repetition.” [Tadreeb al-Raawi (1/117)]

-----------------------------------------------

If you read the evidence above, you can see how weak it is. The hadeeth cited is mu`allaq (suspended), meaning that it is missing the narration chain! Hadeeth scholars agree that such hadeeth, regardless of who reported it, cannot be accepted. Other versions of it are munqati` (disconnected).

Also, an interpretation is not proof and nothing can be forbidden in Islam without robust proof. Scholars do not have the authority to declare something forbidden or mandated; they can only tell you what they believe, based on their analysis. If their analysis is correct, it should be followed, but if it is incorrect, as in the case of music, it should not be followed. God says in the holy Quran, "Do you see what We sent down for you of provision then you made some of it allowed and some forbidden? Did God give you permission, or about God you invent lies?" (10:59)

Verse 31:6 cannot possibly be talking about music, since it talks about distracting discourse and music is not discourse. Lyrics are. It also talks only about distracting discourse which is used to misguide people or make fun of religion. Music cannot do that, but lyrics can.

If you choose to follow this feeble fatwa, it's your prerogative, but you cannot tell others that music is forbidden because, if it is not, you participate in forbidding something that is allowed. Better to say, "Personally, I believe music is forbidden and I find the fatwa correct, but you decide for yourself."

As for you akhee, then I expected you to "refute" or trying to make the "truth clear" by posting on this thread.

I find it pretty amazing that you are the one who talks about how one should follow the evidences and not the opinions of scholars in one thread, whereas on another thread you throw away all the authentic narrations and stick to the opinions (regarding the age of `Aa'ishah radiyAllaahu `anhaa).

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
Assalam Alaikum:

Regards.
wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahmthullahi wa barakatuhu
Respectfully disagree. while keeping what i used to do in the past between me and Allah, i can now safely say life without music is so peaceful and soothing to your heart.

akhi Abdullah, try giving it up for the sake of Allah, you will definitely feel the difference. Not only at spiritual level but also at mental level.

Music calms your mind and feeds your soul is just a myth (that i used to believe in..) All it used to do is just aggravate our feelings in one case and depress it in another without giving any good and practical solution.

wa salaam.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Could someone help me out, please.

If my understanding is correct the rationale is this: Some who listen to music are seduced by their desires such that something other than the Love for Allah enters the heart more readily.

If this is haraam the sin is internal. Yes, all sins are internal, however some sins do not have an outward expression.

What are the consequences of listening to music. Or is writing music haraam or is playing music haraam? What is the punishment.

And how can this be enforced?

Status
Not open for further replies.