Music was my life!!! ur too?

B-R-R

Purifying my soul!
A'salam alaikum wa'ra. wa'ba.!

Music, it's so beautiful isn't it? I think we can all agree that there is beautiful and annoying music. Listening to classical music used to be good for my concentration level.I used to make hip hop music, in Swedish, gotten better at it, because I worked hard. But now that I'm serious with Islam, I try to listen to lectures and learning to memorize small chapters of the holy Qur'an. I've heard Bilal Philips talk about music, stating that it's haram, but not sure in which Hadith it came from. Can anyone confirm and perhaps tell me which hadith it came from?

But listening to music kills time, and takes our attention away from the holy Qur'an, "it captures our hearts" as Bilal Philips stated it, but in other words of course.

I stopped listening to music, it's hard to say no, but I'm working at it, with Allah's help. Do you B. and S. listen to music or do you say no and do your thing?

I wish the best for you all brothers and sisters in Islam! Ameen.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
:salam2:

no hamdulillah it never was all that important to me.

here's the daleel:

Listening to music and musical instruments

Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) used to swear by Allaah that the aayah “And of mankind is he who purchases idle talk to mislead (men) from the Path of Allaah . . .” [Luqmaan 31:6] referred to singing. Abu ‘Aamir and Abu Maalik al-Ash’ari (may Allaah be pleased with them) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Among my ummah will be those who make permissible al-hira(adultry or zinah), silk, khamr and musical instruments . . .” (Reported by al-Bukhaari; see al-Fath, 10/51). Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “In this ummah there will be punishments of earthquakes, showers of stones and deformity (transformation into animals); that will be when the people drink khamr, listen to female singers and play musical instruments.” (See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 2203; attributed to Ibn Abi’l-Dunyaa, Dhamm al-Malaahi; the hadeeth was narrated by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2212).

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the “koobah” (a kind of drum), and described the flute as the voice of the immoral fool. The early scholars such as Imaam Ahmad, may Allaah have mercy on him, stated that musical instruments such as the 'ood (lute), tanboor (a long-necked stringed instrument), reed flute, rabaab (stringed instrument resembling a fiddle) and cymbal, were haraam; no doubt modern instruments such as the violin, qaanoon (stringed musical instrument resembling a zither), organ, piano, guitar, etc., are also included in the Prophet’s prohibition on musical instruments, because their effect and impact is greater than that of the ancient instruments mentioned in some ahaadeeth. They are even more intoxicating than khamr, as scholars such as Ibn al-Qayyim mentioned. No doubt the prohibition, and the sin involved, are greater when the music is accompanied by singing and the voices of female singers, and it is even worse when the lyrics speak of love and describe physical beauty. Hence the scholars said that singing paves the way for zinaa (adultery or fornication), and that it makes hypocrisy grow in the heart. Generally speaking, music and singing form one of the greatest temptations of our times.

What is very difficult is the fact that nowadays music is a part of so many things, such as clocks, doorbells, children’s toys, computers, telephones, etc., and avoiding it takes a great deal of determination. Allaah is the source of help.

B-R-R

Purifying my soul!

Thank you brother, this is very interesting, and you're also right about music being in many things. And yes it takes determination, let us do this for Allah!

Do any other Muslims brothers and sister have difficulties by not listening at music?

BigAk

I don't really pay too much attention to this aspect and I am born muslim... I don't actively go out of my way to listen to music, but if I happened to be around and it's playing I don't take exception and don't run away.. LOL

Every once in a while I may pick up my guitar and play a tune or two.. But, I have not seen doing so a distraction from my duties towards Islam by any means.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah

But listening to music kills time, and takes our attention away from the holy Qur'an, "it captures our hearts" as Bilal Philips stated it, but in other words of course.

I stopped listening to music, it's hard to say no, but I'm working at it, with Allah's help. Do you B. and S. listen to music or do you say no and do your thing?

I wish the best for you all brothers and sisters in Islam! Ameen.

ya. i was a music lover,used to buy each album beyonce and all publishes,m born muslim, but all of us used to play music cox b4 we didn't know it was haraam.thought it was makrooh.but whn i knew it was haram after that i said no.and deleted all my sond folders n now i don't even watch any series anymore,...:D.
insha allah u will also do that,as for series, it takes so much time of us on human imaginary stories.m kinda sick of it.

drimi

Qëndrim Ismajli
Selam alejkum
I hate music. I know and I have heard from imams that it's haram .
But I can not give you any argument for it. Imams can tell you more
about this haram. And I have a question for all of you.
Our imam said in a hutba of xhumu'a that Muhammed savs has called the singers dogs of xhehenem.
Is this true? Please answer that man who knows a lot about this and who has argument.
Selam alejkum to all

:salam2: It was hard for me cause i used to sing but i stopped . For me getting over it was pretty hard. But then u cant start wearing hijab and go and sing in front of people. The two dont go together. So my new passion is memorizing Quran in tajweed. Tajweed to my ears sounds like music. So i am happy now lolllll.

sal12

Assalamu alykum,
Aaaaaah music! Music is the bane of my life! I'm so addicted to it and everytime I listen to it, I can actually feel my imaan decreasing and my concentration in Salah diminish. It's really bad! For the last two days I didnt listen to it which is reeeeally good for me but I started again today! It's awful I know. Insha'allah I will stop soon one day. Would've been easier if I had proper Muslim friends but that aint no excuse I'm just stupid!!!!

slave_of_Allah

Assalamu alikum to you all.

For those who struggle with music - why don't you try ALTERNATIVES. Masha'Allah there are so much better, Islamic things u can listen to. One of my favorite artists is Zain Bhikar. There are so many others.

And yes make du'a to Allah. I pray Allah makes it all easy for us, and helps us to do good. Aameen.

Wa'alikum aslaam.

Qur'an&Sunnah

Traveler

MashaAllah, growing up in America, Music was a BIG influence in my life ever since I was a baby :astag: Even though my family and I were born Muslim we just didn't know it was haraam. When I got older Muslims were telling me that it was Haraam, so I said ok Insha'Allah give me proof, and no one did, or no one gave me proof that I was satisfied with. So one day I looked for myself, and I found the hadeeth on Musical Instruments and how it was haraam Alhamdullilah, and now I'm music free. When I read it I never listened to music again Alhamdullilah. And after not listening to music you realize how it consumes your time and how TV consumes your time SubhanaAllah I stopped watching TV four days ago and Alhamdullilah I am reading more and more and actually finishing Islamic books and pondering over them, it just goes to show you how time consuming these two things are, SubhanaAllah.

Another thing, when I was in school a couple of years back a sheikh said to my class, "Music is the Qur'an for the disbelievers" SubhanaAllah I never forgot that, May Allah grant Him and his family jannatul firdous, Ameen. But when you look at that statement you realize that is true. They listen to it in morning when they are going to work, in their cars, in their homes, etc.

SubhanaAllah, if any of you listen to music, take The Prophet's (SAW) hadeeth and listen to it because surely the Prophet (SAW) is a great example.

:bismillah:

Surah Al Ahzab, Ayah 21:

21. Certainly you have in the Messenger of Allah an excellent example for him who hopes in Allah and Alyoomal Akhir (the Last day), and remembers Allah much.

May Allah grant All the Muslims jannatul firdous, protect us from the torment of the grave and hellfire, and the trials of Messiah Dajjal. Ameen.

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
Assalamu alykum,
Aaaaaah music! Music is the bane of my life! I'm so addicted to it and everytime I listen to it, I can actually feel my imaan decreasing and my concentration in Salah diminish. It's really bad! For the last two days I didnt listen to it which is reeeeally good for me but I started again today! It's awful I know. Insha'allah I will stop soon one day. Would've been easier if I had proper Muslim friends but that aint no excuse I'm just stupid!!!!

I know what you mean :p ... and I use to listen to punk/rock/goth/heavy metal...... so its like.. double decreasage <<<- (im not sure thats a word)

for me the reason i quit music was:

Music = Effects the salah and the memorization of Quran
Music = Is somewhat influential, someone on the forums here said:
"You are what you listen to"

Nicely said i say.
:wasalam:

abdullah khan

I Hate now but it was my love

Assalamu Alaikum to all,
I have read everyone opinion, it is really nice to hear that some of our brothers hate it,as i do as well,Alhamdulillah.I stopped in month of April 2007,no more music for me, had enough, used to listen all kind of Music with music instuments,so called hard rock and metal songs, Alhamdulillah i stopped now,if anything not in Islam ,how can I choose something for me when Islam has forbidden for me,alhamdulillah,islam is so perfect, we are trying to take something in our life that is not in Islam and make our life more miserable, but we don't understand. May Allah(swt) give us His Guidance.Ameen

salek

once i loved, now i hate
i loved music so much, though i didn't like noisy musics , loved specially ballads. but now i love the Hamd or nasheeds. don't listen to any music or song anymore. now i just live on beautiful nasheeds, ofcource ( without music). my favourite nasheed is " Rasool Allah". sorry shaytan to you cause " i have no more place for you."

Salem9022

Surah Luqman 31:6 And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allâh without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allâh, or the Verses of the Qur’ân) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire).

Nurain

Salaam brother! I LOVED MUSIC in fact even now, when they play music at stores and such i not intentionally start humming -- and my friends will plug in the mp3 Qur'an in my ears pronto! MashaAllah!

I guess a hadith neednt tell me it is haraam, I feel it myself. It sways you.. causes you to have emotions you cannot control and such, sad happy hyper in love. It takes you away from remembrance of Allah. So if you start humming to a tune in your head, do as I do -- read a favourite Surah from the Qur'an. It works! =D

nita madjid

I used to be crazy of Hip-Hop, I like the rhythm and disregarded the fact that most of the lyrics are disrespectful toward my sisters and female in general.

Let's see.. how was it? Indeed it affected my Salah, from being lazy to perform it or perform it and were not able to deliver the khusu' as required.

And now, whenever unintentionally I listen to music. Alhamdulillah, I still have ongoing Dakwah at my own house. I feel deep repulsion within my heart.:astag:

Though I still listen to some nasheed, (Islamic songs), are these Haram as well?
I heard people are still debating about it.

Wassalamualaikum wr.wb.

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
Music was a big part of my life... I use to believe that I'll never be able to part with it but alhamdulilah I asked Allah to put hate in my heart for that which does not benefit me and love for that helps me! And now the last time I listened to music was so long ago... Alhamdulek ya Allah!!