MUSIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

somewhatinspired

well i know that most Muslims regard music as haram,
yet many others defend that there is only one weak Hadith mentioning such.
and from what i read, nothing mentioned in the Quran.

i was always under the impression that music is haram.

i will be honest i never questioned it,

it is my understanding that most people don't question it, because they assume it is strongly forbidden. but as i look, i cannot find evidence of such.

just people talking about how it distracts you from your practice, and corrupts the youth. haram haram haram....but i wanna see the evidence.

i am a drummer, and i have always enjoyed all sorts of music, it was always something that pained me to think about leaving behind. but Muslims told me i would just lose interest in it after being stronger in faith. that bothered me but at the same time it didn't, because i supposed that it was right.

well i have been listening to Dawud Wharnsbys latest music, (which has music) . along with Yusuf Islams latest music, and i find nothing wrong or distracting about either. in my opinion it makes me exited about my faith, and helps me remember and think about it more.

i am not talking about negative music here (sex filled hip hop, violent metal, or anything negative).

clearly love songs would be haram if they were graphic, or talking about lust.

but what about positive family oriented music for anyone.

filled with pleasant instruments and a good message?

i mean if anyone can provide me with good reasoning behind why most Muslims regard it as haram, i am more than eager to listen.

but if you can only tell me that certain scholars agree it is haram, i would like to know based on what.

and i would like to see what everyone opinions are on the subject.

many scholars have their own interests. someone pays for their food.
and if their opinion becomes controversial, they become controversial.

communists discourage music because they see it as an easy way for people to rebel.

im not saying that the scholars who deem musical instruments haram are communists or anything absurd, im just trying to find their justification.

is it merely because they perceive it to follow along the lines of haram based on how they see it socially affecting us? or is there some clear ruling about it.

correct me if i am wrong, but Hadith has to support something in the Quran, so if there is nothing clearly mentioned in the Quran, and there is only one weak hadith pertaining to it, shouldn't it be considered invalid?...

i wonder about it along the lines of cigarettes.

they are clearly bad for you, but
they were not known to people at the time of the profit(pbuh).
nothing about them is mentioned in Quran or Hadith.
many Muslims smoke them stating such.
yet we can clearly say they are haram due to their affects.

the only difference being that music was clearly not unknown to the people at the time of the profit(pbuh).

i mean if there were songs about lust or, pertaining to certain pagan rituals, holidays or perhaps paying tribute to a certain god or the like, i can clearly see the justification behind banning such things. and music may only have been played in like situations at that time.

but does that mean music itself is haram?

we aren't supposed to paint figures or sculpt them. but i don't think painting and sculpture are wrong.

and if cigarettes were completely safe, i would probably smoke them if i could find some that smelled sweet.

ok, i explained my thoughts and questions, i am hoping that i find many opinions.

so have at it.

because i haven't made up my own yet.

but i am sure you can see that i am hoping to see a place for music in Islam, and not just at weddings(which i find to be absurd)

because you cant drink only at certain days or be an adulterer on certain days.
i am pretty sure that which is forbidden is very clear, and permanent.

and honestly this whole music thing is very unclear.

i like nasheed and all, but it just leaves something to the imagination as far as melody goes.

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

subhan'allah.... whoooo... this again. This has got to be a very popular subject. There are other threads on this subject brother, and you can search them if you like.

and i would like to see what everyone opinions are on the subject.

yes fine, but please try to back it up with evidence or something. Because Islam is about evidences, not opinions of laymen.

i don't have time ...

wasalam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

subhan'allah.... whoooo... this again. This has got to be a very popular subject. There are other threads on this subject brother, and you can search them if you like.

yes fine, but please try to back it up with evidence or something. Because Islam is about evidences, not opinions of laymen.

i don't have time ...

wasalam

music

somewhatinspired

well

Salam,

first of all, i hope they don't close this.

i asked specific questions, and brought up several points that i hoped to be specifically talked about. in order to bring up some other questions i had.

but first my preliminary questions must be asked and i need to see an updated consensus of opinion before i bother asking among the people who frequent the lounge.

i think people are less likely to discuss what i spoke about if i add a post to a thread that is in the archive 6 months.

i don't think i should be prohibited from sparking conversation, because somewhere in the depths of these forums someone has already conversed about the subject i spoke of.

these are some of the things i am talking about:

i find lots of lines like this when people are explaining why music is haram:

“[Allaah said to Iblees:] And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allaah’s disobedience)…” [al-Israa’ 17:64]

the whole (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allaah’s disobedience) part.

is that just an assumption?
and if not what is is based off of?

shouldn't those parenthesis direct you to something more solid, like see surah such and such for example, which when used is very helpful when you try to understand something..

but from what i can see there isn't much of anything stronger.

honestly it looks like an opinion layed on top of the whole religion based on slight references that could possibly mean something if there were something more solid supporting it.

for instance i can remember many times when polytheism or adultery is put in parenthesis after something in the Quran. but it is very clear in the quran and repeated many times throughout that those things are haram. therefore i find no issue with such parenthesis.

please correct me if i am wrong to think about this, but is it possible that music and and songs are put next to "Allaah’s disobedience" based on assumptions i asked about previously.

or is there something in the Arabic, that directly relates to songs and music?
if there is forgive me because this post is irrelevant. for instance is there a word or phrase in Arabic that directly means disobedience to allah pertaining to music and songs?

if so i would think that there would be no need for parenthesis (in English anyway)

i feel that Iblees' voice would clearly call for disobedience, but i am not convinced that it has anything to do with songs and music.

i understands that these are translations and that the translator can put whatever he wants in parenthesis if he wants you to know what he thinks a line means because he is the translator.

but if you took that line and placed it alone in Arabic and had someone translate it without having it pertain to ones Islamic opinion, would the parenthesis still be there in entirety anyway.?

i am not saying there is negative intentions in all the parenthesis written in all the translations of the Quran,
but should we take that as part of the Quran itself, or as ones opinion.

because i find often people make rulings upon the parenthesis, and not the text written. as if they had to hunt for something that eludes to what they speak about and they cant find anything that directly addresses it.

can it be questioned by people like me?
new Muslims eager to learn what is right.

i am not trying to transgress any boundaries, may allah forgive me if i do.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Tell u what. why not we refer to scholars for this. Check the pdf out.
Listen to what great scholars have to say . Pay attention to imam Nawawi and Imam ibn hajar asqalani and shaykh ibn taymiyyah. If u do not want to listen to what the great scholars stand on music....i dont know what to say. But i dont expect u to immediately accept what u read , take your time. InshAllah

Attachments

• prohibition_music.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 10

Ummzaina

I am not very sure about the exact hadith or the ruling regarding music being haram.
Personally I used listen to music and song(during the time I was ignorant of many religious things),but now I would rather not listen knowing that it brings me closer to shaitan (audhubillahi minahshaitanirajeem) and another logical fact I found is that what is music to me may not neccessarily be music to you.Some like melodious things while others prefer the hard stuff and if we allow our children to listen to music today and they grow up and their music preference changes to something indecent who are we to blame then.
Another thing is that music plays with everyones feelings, it is a researched fact that music plays with peoples moods and melancholic sounds make people sad and some types of music ignites anger.
Some even recommend pregnant mothers to listen to classical music and they say that the baby hears this in the womb and reacts to it (imagine how fully grown adults would react to music)
How can we know when our moods will swing to one way or another.
And Islam being a religion which prevents certain things before the actual act itself I rather think it is good to have music as haram in order to prevent indecencies which may be comitted due to it (like lowering our gaze as a prevention of zina)
And the most important fact is that it helps us waste valuable time which could be put to better use by reciting the Quran or researching religious knowledge or just getting a good sleep...
:wasalam: :hijabi:

somewhatinspired

i personally think that the type of music one listens to is their choice alone.

and if they listen to negative music, they are the only ones at fault.

Ummzaina

i personally think that the type of music one listens to is their choice alone.

and if they listen to negative music, they are the only ones at fault.

I would also like to point out the fact that there is no evidence to show that the Prophet (SAW) ever listened to or enjoyed music or used it to be more closer to Allah or to guide muslims and Muhammad (SAW) being our best example of what a muslim should be then I guess we should leave the music for those who do not follow our beloved Prophet (SAW). Even if he(SAW) did not specifically say not to listen to music if it was not in his practices then we should not keep it in ours.
:wasalam: :hijabi:

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

somewhatinspired , I think your personnel opinion dosnt mean anything in front of Islamic rules, you can search the site the subject been discussed in details, beside I advise you to go and speak with an Imam or scholar we dont go with people opinions when it come to Islamic rules,

this thread closed now so please dont start another one about the same subject

Wa salaam alikom

Status
Not open for further replies.