Muslim diet restrictions?

Chris Hawkins

Hello everyone,
My first post and question?

I have read the book "What do Muslims believe?" by Ziauddin Sardar and have now started to read the Quran.

2:173 says
He has forbbiden you carrion, blood, and the flesh of swine; also flesh that is consecrated other than in the name of God. But who ever is driven by necessity, intending neither to sin not to transgress, shall incur no guilt. God is forgiving and merciful.

what does this mean for my diet? what can I eat and what can I not eat?

warda A

Sister
Hello everyone,
My first post and question?

I have read the book "What do Muslims believe?" by Ziauddin Sardar and have now started to read the Quran.

2:173 says
He has forbbiden you carrion, blood, and the flesh of swine; also flesh that is consecrated other than in the name of God. But who ever is driven by necessity, intending neither to sin not to transgress, shall incur no guilt. God is forgiving and merciful.

what does this mean for my diet? what can I eat and what can I not eat?

:salam2:

I hope by learning more you will gain more knowledge
this link might help you
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31270&highlight=halal+food
May Allah bestow peace and mercy to you and us, ameen

adeena

well basically muslims cannot eat pork or any pork products such as ham etc any animal that has lay dead and anything that has animals blood included in its ingredients.
Also it is a must that the animal be killed according to islamic rulings which i believe is by cutting the throat pronouncing the name of allah and letting the blood drain out of the body before consumption. The part that says "whomever is driven by necessity intending neither to sin nor transgress shall incur no guilt" basically means if for some unavoidable reason one has no choice other than to consume haraam meat then they will not be accountable as Allah is forgiving
i hope this kinda clears up your query