Muslim-friendly hospitals in US

shasha

Muslimah
Asalaam alaykum my dear brothers and sisters in Islam. :hearts:

I am a doctor who is about to enter residency training (specialization) in US. I was wondering if there are health professionals or friends or family of health professionals from US here in the website. If yes, I have a question for you:

Are there 'Muslim-friendly' hospitals in US? It doesn't matter what state as long as the environment tolerates Islam. The reason I am asking this is because I am about to apply to hospitals and I need to finalize my list by the end of August. I don't want to end up applying and being accepted in a hospital that discriminates women wearing hijab or Muslims are frowned upon when they take quick breaks to do Salah. I would love to be successful in my career, but, Din comes first. :hijabi:

If you don't feel comfortable posting here coz you feel that what you might say about US hospitals is quite confidential, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you in advance to those who will reply.

Salaam. :hearts:

kayleigh

Honestly I think if you apply at hospitals in cities, and in places where there is a significant Muslim population, you'll be fine. also try hospitals that are connected to universities as large universities are multicultural centers and usually more open-minded.

shasha

Muslimah
Honestly I think if you apply at hospitals in cities, and in places where there is a significant Muslim population, you'll be fine. also try hospitals that are connected to universities as large universities are multicultural centers and usually more open-minded.

Thanks. :hijabi: I'll try to concentrate my application on hospitals in cities and university hospitals.

Salaam :hearts:

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Thanks. :hijabi: I'll try to concentrate my application on hospitals in cities and university hospitals.

Salaam :hearts:

Saalam:

http://www.ummaclinic.org/

This is a pretty renowned charity based hospital in Southern LA. They provide treatments for low income and needy families, surprisingly most of the people who go to this hospital are non Muslims. Ummah clinic was founded by a group of Muslim Med students after 1992 LA riot.

I would recommend you look into it. The hospital is pretty big and they have great relationship with the Muslim community of Southern California.

Your profile says you live in California, if you happen to live in Southern California I suggest you visit their website and if the clinic interest you then you can pay them a visit in person.

:wasalam:

shasha

Muslimah
Saalam:

http://www.ummaclinic.org/

This is a pretty renowned charity based hospital in Southern LA. They provide treatments for low income and needy families, surprisingly most of the people who go to this hospital are non Muslims. Ummah clinic was founded by a group of Muslim Med students after 1992 LA riot.

I would recommend you look into it. The hospital is pretty big and they have great relationship with the Muslim community of Southern California.

Your profile says you live in California, if you happen to live in Southern California I suggest you visit their website and if the clinic interest you then you can pay them a visit in person.

:wasalam:

Thank you! :hijabi: Oh thank you for taking my location into consideration but I am not limiting myself to hospitals in California. I actually prefer hospitals outside California away from my family. I love them but it would just be complicated to turn them down all the time when they ask me to go church with them or to celebrate holidays with them etc (coz I'm the only Muslim in our family).

I did check out the website. Maybe I can volunteer there while waiting for residency training. JazakAllah khair! :hearts:

q8penpals

Salam

Did you get my pm?

Honestly, I find the mid-west of the US a much more accepting (and livable) place in the US for Muslims. The Mayo clinic is in Minnesota, Marshfield Clinic/St. Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield, and there are a bunch of top-notch University of Wisconsin clinics and hospitals around the state.

The Mid-west (not including the car manufacturers) has been pretty resistant to the recent recessionary trends in other areas of the US - in central Wisconsin, MOST businesses have "help-wanted" signs or are advertising - they can't get enough employees. Also, the cost of living in MUCH LOWER in the Mid-west than other major areas (something to consider).

And, there are Muslims around (Iowa and Dearborn, Michigan have large populations of Muslims); and the people are open and friendly - so open and friendly, you will have people honestly ask about you and your religion (sometimes gruffly and uneducatedly, but always friendly). Many around the area are used to seeing Amish families and seeing their women covered in dark clothing and modest.

So, truly, give the links in my pm a look - there are plenty of jobs in my area, it is Muslim friendly, low cost of living, friendly people, and truly, truly, the beauty of the area really reminds you daily that God wanted us to live surrounded by nature and beauty.

shasha

Muslimah
Salam

Did you get my pm?

Honestly, I find the mid-west of the US a much more accepting (and livable) place in the US for Muslims. The Mayo clinic is in Minnesota, Marshfield Clinic/St. Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield, and there are a bunch of top-notch University of Wisconsin clinics and hospitals around the state.

The Mid-west (not including the car manufacturers) has been pretty resistant to the recent recessionary trends in other areas of the US - in central Wisconsin, MOST businesses have "help-wanted" signs or are advertising - they can't get enough employees. Also, the cost of living in MUCH LOWER in the Mid-west than other major areas (something to consider).

And, there are Muslims around (Iowa and Dearborn, Michigan have large populations of Muslims); and the people are open and friendly - so open and friendly, you will have people honestly ask about you and your religion (sometimes gruffly and uneducatedly, but always friendly). Many around the area are used to seeing Amish families and seeing their women covered in dark clothing and modest.

So, truly, give the links in my pm a look - there are plenty of jobs in my area, it is Muslim friendly, low cost of living, friendly people, and truly, truly, the beauty of the area really reminds you daily that God wanted us to live surrounded by nature and beauty.

Wow. MashAllah! Thanks so much for your advice. :hearts: If you didn't tell me about this I wouldn't even browse through hospitals in the mid-west. I concentrated on hospitals in New York, New Jersey and Maryland. The way you described your area sounds so inviting. I will definitely apply to Marshfield. InshAllah I'll be invited for an interview. :jumpclap:

I did read your PM and I replied already. Thanks so much, sister. :hijabi:

JazakAllah khair!