Muslim girl ejected!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalpeace

Banned
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2007/02/25/hijab-soccer.html

Muslim girl ejected from tournament for wearing hijab​

Five young teams from across Canada walked out of a Quebec soccer tournament Sunday because a young Muslim girl was ejected for wearing a hijab.

Calling the rule banning the headscarf worn by Muslim women racist, four other teams followed Asmahan Mansour's team, the Nepean Selects from Ottawa, after she was thrown out for running afoul of a Quebec Soccer Association rule.

"The referee was staring and pointing. 'She can't play,'" said Asmahan, Asi to her friends. "I was like why? Why can't I play?"

Because of a safety rule, league spokesman Lyes Arfa said. He pointed out that the referee is Muslim himself, and that the ban on hijabs is to protect children from being accidentally strangled.

"We have to protect the players on the field, and that's the main point. It's not against the Muslims."

And the league had told organizers about the rule — "The wearing of the Islamic veil or any other religious item is not permitted" — before the game.

Asi's team was aware of the rule, but didn't expect it would be enforced.

So when it was, many players and adults were outraged.

Girls backed up teammate
"I automatically went back to the referee: 'Are you sure this is what you wanna do?'" said Louis Maneiro, the Selects' head coach. When nothing changed, he said, "I just decided that there's no way that I would allow our team to continue, and the girls backed up Asi very strongly."

Asi's teammates supported the move. "I felt disgraced, I was crushed, I couldn't see Asi like that," said Lisa Furano.

"It's just a piece of material, it can't do any harm," added Alicia Stainton.

The Selects left the tournament in good spirits. But they say they won't come back until the rule changes.

BlueFish

Im curious, how could the hijab actualy be harmful during play, without someone using it to strangle another person. Like in elementary school they said that no one could bring weopons to school, completly understandable, but
kids could still use pencils as stabing weopons. Is this what the ref was implying? How rediculous!
Peace.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
And the referee is a Muslim? At least I will not consider him a Muslim of even minor faith. Did he sell his faith for the motive which was opposed by many teams?

liaa

so ugly from their part! :( i hope the rules will change,and the team will go there again and will prove them who's the booss!!it's not fairr!! i want justicee! :(

Ali_Ibrahim

My opinion takes no sides. My intention is to tell people my clear view on this matter. Now, I am very familiar with soccer and it's rules as i play soccer myself. The regulations for any material around the neck or arms is prohibited for many reasons:
1. anything surrounding the neck or covering the neck will cause a choking issue in which a player might choke to death. The reason why they stress these regulations strictly is because, these players are probably not insured with the club they play for, therefor the officials and the league are held accountable for this accident.

2, Any wrist bands or jewlery around the neck and arm such as a necklace or bracelet is also prohibited because you can injure a teammate or opponent. Again, This will cause fusion between players.

The officials in this matter are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.