Muslim names?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
I see many people who converted to Islam change their names such as Cat Stevens = Yusuf Islam, Cassius Clay = Muhammad Ali, Malcom Little = El-Hajj Malik El-Shabbaz or Malcolm X.

So, my question is, what makes up a Muslim name? I'm interested in having a Muslim name, seeing as how my real name is named after my father (a Christian) and has nothing to do with my serving Allah.

Some questions:

1) Can a name be connected using "Wa" (and)? Such as: Ali Abdul-Jabbar Wa Quddus

2) Does one even choose his/her own name?

3) Can I use Al-Malik (a name of Allah) as part of my name? On wikipedia, it says it's "banned" but I want to make sure.

Thanks!

marildu

Assalamu Alaikum,

I am pretty sure using any attributes of Allah swt is not allowed. And you are allowed to choose your own name, no one chooses it for you. As for the first question I am not sure.

As for me I have just decided once I am out on my own I will take a Muslim first name (think Mariam :)) and keep my other names and middle names so as not to upset my family. Then InshaAllah when I marry I will take my husbands last name.
So Mariam Lauren Danielle... blah blah
doesnt flow too nicely but I can worry about that later lol.

alhamdulillah

Some questions:

1) Can a name be connected using "Wa" (and)? Such as: Ali Abdul-Jabbar Wa Quddus

2) Does one even choose his/her own name?

3) Can I use Al-Malik (a name of Allah) as part of my name? On wikipedia, it says it's "banned" but I want to make sure.

Thanks!

Bismillah,

Wa'alaikum'Assalam.

Good questions, Masha'Allah.

To my understanding (Alhamdulillah), yes, you can choose your own name, but it is adviced to choose pleasant meaningful names Insha'Allah.

As for the 'Wa'.....im not sure of its status, maybe somebody else could touch on this Insha'Allah. However, ibn is something quite often used i.e. Muhammad ibn Abdullah - Muhammad the son of Abdullah.

Nobody is allowed to keep Allah's Name's! Allah's attributes are exclusively for Him Subhana hu wa ta'aala, and so He for example is The MALIK....of the Universe Alone.

It is correct to say that it is banned! Should somebody desire to keep these names, its a MUST to put 'ABD' before it i.e. Abdul Malik, Abdur Raheem etc, for surely, we all are His slaves! Hence the 'ABD' makes it permissible to use Insha'Allah.

'ABD' simply means 'slave', so:
Abdur Raheem - Slave of The Raheem (Merciful)
Abdul Malik - Slave of The Malik (Master) .....

Insha'ALLAH i hope this little bit of information helps, may Allah forgive me if iv'e stated something wrong, Ameen.

I leave you in Allah's Care,

Wasalam
your sister in Islam

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:wasalam:
Thanks for the responses. That cleared a lot up for me. Thanks again!

I may choose something along the lines of "Ali Abdul-Rashid"...

Jibran

Asalamaulaikum.

Does anyone know what my name means? It's JIBRAN

I've been wondering for quite some time now, but i cannot get a hold of any information, either offline or online.

Salam.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

Yes brother ofcourse you can choose your own name....Im sure you will find a good name for yourself insha-allah.

The Prophet [PBUH] said: On the Day of Resurrection you will be called by your names and by your father's names, so give yourselves good names. (Bukhari)

A'ishah (RA) says that the Prophet (SAW) used to change bad names for good name (Al Tirmidhi)

Hope the link below helps you..

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4006

wasalam

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

Asalamaulaikum.

Does anyone know what my name means? It's JIBRAN

I've been wondering for quite some time now, but i cannot get a hold of any information, either offline or online.

Salam.

My little cousin is called jibran bless him....

Jibran means REWARD...:)

wasalaam