Muslim prayer stirs up Debate

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
Ya Allah, when will it end??

CAIRO — American schools and universities showing flexibility to accommodate the religious need of Muslim students to perform their daily prayers are being accused of giving them preferential treatment, USA Today reported on Thursday, July 26.

"What (officials) are doing…is to give Muslim students religious benefits that they do not give any other religion right now," charged Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center, a Christian advocacy group.

Critics say schools and universities are increasingly granting Muslim requests for prayer breaks and facilities.

The Muslim Students Association (MSA) says nine universities nationwide have prayer rooms for Muslim students and 17 have foot baths built or under construction.

Thompson accuses schools and universities of double standards for giving Muslim students a specific period to pray without doing the same for Christians.

"What you're going to see out there is more of these kinds of cases as the Muslim community tests how far it can go in the public school system."

Muslims pray five times a day at the appointed times: dawn, noon, mid-afternoon, dusk, and before retiring to bed.

Prayer is one of the most important obligations of Islam, being one of the five pillars of Islam.

Legality

"The whole issue is to provide for a religious foundation for those who are observant," insisted Al-Marayati.

The debate over Muslim prayer was thrust into the spotlight a few months ago.

Carver Elementary School, a public school in San Diego city, became part of a nationwide controversy after setting aside a 15-minute break for its 100 Muslim students to pray.

A substitute teacher claimed that the school was indoctrinating students into Islam because a teacher's aide has led Muslim students in prayer.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), a major rights advocate group, is mulling to sue the school for what it describes as unconstitutional prayer break.

"If you start carving out time in the school day that you would not do but for the need to let students pray, then it begins to look like what you're trying to do is to assist religion," argues David Blair-Loy, legal director for ACLU in San Diego.

However, ACLU admits that while overt religious symbols like crucifixes are not legal, whether foot baths and prayer rugs fall into the same category is not clear.

"That's a difficult one, and it's right on the edge," said Jeremy Gunn, director of the ACLU program on freedom of religion and belief in Washington, D.C.

But Muslim advocates insist that prayer accommodations are utterly legal.

Salam Al-Marayati, executive director of the Los Angeles-based Muslim Public Affairs Council, says many schools accommodate Christian and Jewish needs and allow Jewish students not to take tests on religious holidays.

"The whole issue is to provide for a religious foundation for those who are observant while respecting separation of church and state."

There are between six to seven million Muslims in the US, less than three percent of the country's 300 million population.

www.islamonline.net

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
Ahhhh, hate to break it to you guys, but this is not really an attack on muslims or Islam. There is a very large (I hate to sound like Sean Hannity) secular progressive movement in the US that wants to get rid of any and all references to the Creator. Christians in this country complain about it constantly. I am not surprised by this, in fact, I am slightly pleased as it means that Islam is mainstream enough to warrant this kind of notice.

palestine

Servant of Allah
:salam2: Well i guess there is gonna be many protests (my guess) Which they will be annoyed by. In my school they let us pray but i'm afraid they won't let us anymore because of these arguements. Don't worry though, Allah is the provider and H:tti_sister: :hijabi: e is the only one who can help us.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Dear sister,
You know I can not let things alone...so I called every masjid in the san diego area and left voice mails.
i voted on some website etc.
i think everyone should get a prayer break. we forget how important God is in the lives of people. we need prayer back in school. we need observances of religious holidays.
from my point of view let everyone praise the name of Allah.

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

San Diego is interesting...
Salaam,

Dear sister,
You know I can not let things alone...so I called every masjid in the san diego area and left voice mails.
i voted on some website etc.
i think everyone should get a prayer break. we forget how important God is in the lives of people. we need prayer back in school. we need observances of religious holidays.
from my point of view let everyone praise the name of Allah.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Mashallah..I didn't know that schools in the u.s. have granted muslim students this previlige..

I know where I live..the university has a MSA and they have reserved a room to put files and materials belonging to the association..

and some muslim students had been using it to pray daily prayers..and for the friday prayer..they reserve a different meeting hall every week to pray there (and that is not *always* guaranteed)..

but it remain an unofficial thing that the officers of the association work on providing so kindly to the best of their ability..

so for those who are committed in prayer and in fasting (during ramadhan especially) suffer a lot..because they cannot leave class to pray and/or break their fast (even if they ask..they're not allowed)..so they end up scheduling their classes around these times..or they go about it some other way (usually a little more extreme)..

The news article made me very happy though..even though the issue is facing some opposition now..but like many new *issues* that arise here in the u.s. i'm pretty sure there will be a compromise once the importance of the matter is understood..and Inshallah it will be a compromise in the benefit of our deen and our brothers and sisters..who without them..i am sure we wouldn't have schools and universities making such decisions..

:wasalam: