my first impressions of muslims at this site...

R

rosiee

well, i have some good and bad news. the good news is that i sense a lot of passion for Islam at this site. It is always good to know that religious believers hold strongly to their convictions. The bad news is that there is too much interest in conversion stories...

I've been sent a lot of links to conversion stories and have not visited any of them..

This part of Islam is rather boring... the part that seeks to dismantle another persons belief system just for the sake of a numbers game

judaism has a small following but it is massive in its depth and profound teachings

a religion should not be concerned with numbers as it is truth and service to the world

IMAM

you just fell at the first hurdle...you have to differenciate what islam is calling for and what muslims are....to say this part of islam is boring without a critical look at it is unfortunate to say the least....islam forbids compulsion in religion....throught history you can read islam spread in default......there were never active missionaries as was the case in christianity(which i applaud and admire)who actively sought converts....last but not least as is apparent from my post muslims always are defending their religion and actually not explaining simply because you shape the debate by your terms....like i said your call for dialogue is admirable,lets not critique islam without basic understanding of it........

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

This part of Islam is rather boring... the part that seeks to dismantle another persons belief system just for the sake of a numbers game

I guess everyone would have their own view on this. Hearing these stories shouldnt in anyway dismantle a person from their belief. Its not about 'number game' is about realising the Truth! Surely, Allah Guides whom He Wills!

its amazing to see or hear a conversion story where a person may have been an atheist or a Christian and later reverted to Islam. This could have an impact on somebodys life, though as i said, everyone is an individual and would see things differently.

Islam is NOT at all forced on anyone, rather THEY are the ones who are attracted to Islam, through its very true nature, but in essence; by the Guidance of Allah, Subhana hu wa ta'aala!

frankly speaking, my due respect to you,

Islam actually 'is' the fastest growing religion in the world. So just like you said:
a religion should not be concerned with numbers as it is truth and service to the world

true, its to do with the truth, as TRUTH shall always prevail Insha'Allah.....

thankyou for expressing your thoughts on this site, much applied ;)

Wasalam

R

rosiee

there is no compulsion in Islam

yes, i know there is no compulsion in Islam. Most converts do so out of their own volition and I have no problem with that. I am much more interested in Islam's teachings and the behavior of its believers than I am how many converts it had today, yesterday or tomorrow.

I am here to seek knowledge and understanding. I do so because there is a tension between faiths in the world today, mostly because the "truth" gets in the way of real dialogue...just some thoughts

Khadijah

Rosiee,

Sorry you took that the wrong way. I am not out to dismantle anyone's beliefs. I think the reason people are sending conversion stories is because you said you wanted to learn about Islam. Conversion stories are a good way for someone to learn the basics. The people who are telling their stories usually cover the basics of Islam and the similiarities and differences between Islam and other religions.

As for the "truth" getting in the way of real dialogue, all religions think they are on the truth. Islam says "To me my religion and to you your religion" and that we are to respect the people of the book and leave them to practice their religion. The tension that we feel as Muslims comes from the fact that they can't seem to do the same for us. (I don't mean that everyone is like this, so please don't take it wrong) We are slandered 24 hrs a day in the media and even in our own countries are not allowed to rule by Shariah law.

So I guess my point is that I don't understand what kind of dialogue you're looking for. As a convert, I was Catholic and I have no desire to learn anymore about a religion that I don't believe to be correct but I am always willing to talk with people about my beliefs. Anyway, maybe you should just ask specific questions that we can answer for you instead of the videos, since most are converts.

Peace, Khadijah

As far as learning about a religion is concerned you have to have a open mind to accept the information. In islam there is no compulsion in religion. Nobody can force anybody to accept anything. Every human makes his own choice. See i feel if one wants to learn about the religion first read the quran. Hear lectures by Ahmad deedat , zakir naik, sheikh albaani etc etc. remember you cant just pick up any book . You have to find where did the author get his reference from. There are many who want to pretend they are scholar but they are not. So choosing the right material is imp. But first read the Qur'an.

Argus

Islam is perfect in form because it is handed down to us by our creator. The problem is humans who are not perfect, which attempt to take their own interpretation of a perfect system of worship (Islam).

Read the Qur'an, rosiee and learn about Islam from those who are knowladgeable in it. You will soon see why Muslims (including converts to Islam) are so passionate in their beliefs. Try to be open minded in seeing what is the difference between our various beliefs.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Please I feel you have misjudged us. We don't force anyone to Islam, but when someone does come it's an inspiration to us all.

Sometimes, especially me, as a born Muslim want to know what drives others to our faith. We who were born as such sometimes take this blessing for granted, and it's beautiful to see faith enter anothers heart. It makes you so much happier with this blessing when you see how much another went to arrive to this conclution you were born with. Also it makes you ashamed, as you are born Muslim and you still have had so much time, what have YOU done with it? We who are born this way, really have no excuse when we are questioned about our faith.

I don't know if this made sence but I hope it did.

R

rosiee

Good Day...Here are some more thoughts on Islam

Not that i know Islam very well, but I'm impressed with its simplicity and its beauty (mosques, chanting, etc)...the people here are at this site are very polite and helpful which reflects not only the way in which the administrators run the site but truly it says a lot about muslims in general...

as a catholic I have to say i am used to beauty in religion,(art,music,monasteries, etc). I think beauty is necessary, and it matters. I also believe that questioning religion is essential to the health of any faith system. So for instance, I question the teaching of my faith all the time, yet hold steadily to most of them. Is this the case with many muslims?

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
:salam2:

Hello Rosiee,

When you posted the first time your question I was going to put a suggestion "to learn about Islam first and then muslims".
Praise be to Allah (swt) our Creator (the christian arabs call Him Allah too- it is mentioned in their Bible I believe 17 times) Who has perfected the Religion with the last Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him). And as it is clearly stated in the Qur'an that: "This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion" 5:3.
And also concerning Prophethood: "Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (he is) the Messenger of Allah, and the Seal of the Prophets: and Allah has full knowledge of all things.33:40. Now that is clearly stated in the Qur'an and that is what the muslims believe.
So these are the two primar sources: the Qur'an and the Sunnah (the authentic hadeeths of our Prophet s.a.w.s.: what he said, done, approved or diaspproved).
Now when it comes to questioning anything in the religion; everything is thoroughly studied by the scholars who are qualified on the specific areas like that of the Qur'an, hadeeth and others; and answers are provided, backed up by proof ofcourse.
Noone in Islam is told to "just believe", but questions are put to the scholars on every issue.
There is nothing which is left untouchable, whether the believer (or nonbeliever) is satisfied with the answers after they are brought forth or not, that is up to him/her.
But I also have to add that in order to ask about an issue in Islam you first have to read at least the Qur'an, in order to get at least a close idea of what Islam really is.
Then it is easier for anyone to understand and then if you have anything which is unclear then you should start to search for specific answers.
That is my advice to you, because otherwise you will not be able to get your answers by asking and having a couple of answers, which you might not like the way your qusestion was answered, and that is not Islams fault right?
I hope you are really willing to find the Truth with which you will be satisfied, and I ask Allah (swt) in case you are willing to do so to give the ability to find the Truth.

judaism has a small following but it is massive in its depth and profound teachings

Hi
i think that u like Judaism and you feel more attrackted by it.

Don't forget Islam&Quran refers to a lot of things related to Jesus and Moses. Further more, one of the basics of belief in Islam to be a Muslim is to believe to the true revelations of other books.

Allah says: “Righteousness is of one who believes in Allah, the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the Prophets.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 177]

Allah says: “The Messenger believes in what is revealed to him from his Lord as do the believers. All of them believe in Allah, His angels, His books, and His Messengers. They say: ‘We make no distinction between any of the Messengers.’ They say: ‘We hear and we obey. Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the final destination’.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 285]

i think if you take your time by reading and viewing on turntoislam you will find answers to your questions in many posts and articls which were sent before...
So good luck

budalal

My 2 cents

Asalamu Alaikom,

Rosiee

I agree with brother Ibn_Adham. You should read the Quran as it is THE basis for our life and beliefs. It covers everything from life, rights (men AND women), inheritance, marriage, divorce and man many other issues. In addition it tells the stories of all prophets (Peace and Blessing upon them all) before Muhammad (PBUH)...as a Christian it would be similar to the Old testament (i.e. - Genesis). The Quran is our divine and holy constitution from Allah (God) Subhanaho Wa Ta'ala.

As for spreading the message of Islam (or Da'wah), it is the duty of every muslim to give the message. This even includes Muslims who do not practice their faith. But at the end of the day we are providing guidance and help, it is up to the individual to choose his path and destiny. Allah created humans with one major difference from the rest of creation...FREE WILL :)
So Rosiee...keep on asking and searching for answers. Challenge yourself and your views and you never know what you'll find.

I apologize for rambling as it my first serious post and I am quite excited to join in the discussions. I guess the 2¢ turned into $20 ;)

Peace and Blessing of the Almighty Allah be will you always.

Fi Amaan Allah (go with the grace and protection of God).
:salam2:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Hi, you must be aware that people will give links on this site about people becoming Muslim.

Islam in its essence is something that started with people becoming Muslim.

The stories of non-Muslims becoming Muslim is one that contains information which actually explains the very essence of Islam. i.e. the reason people choose to become Muslim will give true reflection on what Islam is.

The main reason would be in order to worship Allah alone. Correct belief in the oneness of God.

Islam is often seen as something exotic and not at home in Europe or the US. However, Islam sees no bounds with regards to race or culture.

This world is a small place, and we are all the same flesh and bone wherever we may be.

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Allah is not kind to him who is not kind to people." [Muslim & Bukhari]

THere is no reason for Muslims to attack or spend their time making fun of other Religions. Infact, to do so is going against what Allah has told us in the Quran.

(( And insult not those whom they (disbelievers) worship besides Allâh, lest they insult Allâh wrongfully without knowledge. Thus We have made fair­seeming to each people its own doings; then to their Lord is their return and He shall then inform them of all that they used to do.)) (Quran 6:108)

As for us questioning our religion, if that means doubting parts of the Quran, then of course we do not. The Quran is same as it was revealed by God through the Angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad :saw: -

Instead, as Muslims we question those beliefs that do not have any basis in the Quran or in the Sunnah, which is the Prophet's Sayings and Actions, recorded in the Hadith. Islam is a perfect and complete way of life, revealed from God almighty.

There are some people who do wrong, and they may be Muslims, infact they may even do their wrong actions in the name of Islam. However, when we look at their actions in the light of the Quran, the Sunnah and what the early generation of Muslims said and did and their explanations, we see that they are wrong. - They are introducing new beliefs into Islam, perhaps extremism or they do something not in accordance to Islamic beliefs.

So in this way we critisise those people who introduce new beliefs into our beautiful religion.

The numbers mean nothing.

We have to stick to God's revealed words, the Quran and the Prophet's teachings the Sunnah, even if we are the only people left to do that.

And We have sent you (O Muhammad SAW) not but as a mercy for the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists). [21:107]

What we care about is that people are guided to True Islam. The greatest reward and gift that God can give someone is Islam. It will mean eternal bliss in paradise, paradise is not merely something that gives tangible happiness, the people of paradise will have no worries, no negative feelings. They will have happiness. More importantly they will have the feeling of tranquility that comes after knowing our Lord. For they will have the greatest gift of seeing their Lord, Allah, the Creator of all the universe. They shall praise him and prostrate to him in thankfulness. This is the gift that Allah gives to all mankind through Islam, by worshipping him alone, and it is something that all Muslims want to share with other people. To have that feeling of contentment in this world and the spiritual and physical contentment in the next life.

This website is not just to try and make people Muslim, our aim is for people to have an understanding of what Islam is and who Muslim people are. Today, there are many misconceptions and unfounded fears of our own neighbours. People must learn to understand and accept each other. Whether they are Muslim or non-Muslim, we all have a duty to be kind and respectful and perhaps to learn the good from each other.

We wish that non-Muslims are aware of Islam and do not fear Muslims. Likewise we educate Muslims about Islam and dispel anything that is not from Islam. Muslims must be good and kind to others too, its part of our beliefs to be respectful, kind, patient and considerate of our neighbours and all around us, whoever they may be and wherever they may be from.

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Shall I not tell you whom the (Hell) Fire is forbidden to touch? It is forbidden to touch a man who is always accessible, having polite and tender nature.''
[At-Tirmidhii].

And also:

Abdullah ibn Abbas, the Prophet’s cousin, stated that he heard the Prophet saying: “A believer is not the one who eats his fill when his neighbour is hungry.” [Related by Al-Bukhari in Al-Adab Al-Mufrad, Al-Hakim and Al-Baihaqi].

Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "The dearest and nearest among you to me on the Day of Resurrection will be one who is the best of you in manners; and the most abhorrent among you to me and the farthest of you from me will be the pompous, the garrulous, and Al-Mutafaihiqun.'' The Companions asked him: "O Messenger of Allah! We know about the pompous and the garrulous, but we do not know who Al-Mutafaihiqun are.'' He replied: "The arrogant people.''
[At-Tirmidhi].

The Prophet :saw: also said:

"Those who are kind and considerate to Allah's creatures, Allah bestows His kindness and affection on them. Show kindness to the creatures on the earth so that Allah may be kind to you." [Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi]

Thank you.

Argus

But within beauty, who are you really trying to impress?

I believe the reason they have this beauty is to distract you from what is most important, worshipping God. A monestary shouldn't be bringing you in with it's beauty, it should be dedicated to worshipping God, and that is done best when nothing is distracting you from worshipping our creator. What is really more important in a Church, the decorations or the fact that the building was created to worship God? In Islam, we believe the worship of our creator is much more important than how impressive the building is.

as a catholic I have to say i am used to beauty in religion,(art,music,monasteries, etc). I think beauty is necessary, and it matters. I also believe that questioning religion is essential to the health of any faith system. So for instance, I question the teaching of my faith all the time, yet hold steadily to most of them. Is this the case with many muslims?

hakim

well, i have some good and bad news. the good news is that i sense a lot of passion for Islam at this site. It is always good to know that religious believers hold strongly to their convictions. The bad news is that there is too much interest in conversion stories...

I've been sent a lot of links to conversion stories and have not visited any of them..

Yes I agree numbers do not reflect the truth.
But Muslims are called to spread the good news about Islam, even though they do not like to be evangelized by Christian missionaries.