Name that Companion...

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

Recently I've heard (twice now) in khutbahs about a Companion who killed a man in battle right after the man proclaimed his shahadah. The hadith went something like this:

A Companion was about to slay a man in battle and the man quickly said the shahadah. The Companion killed the man anyway. When the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam learned about this, he asked the Companion why he did it. The Companion said "he only said the shahadah to keep from dying!" to which the Prophet replied, "Do you know this? Could you see inside his heart?" The Companion in despair said "I wish I had not entered Islam before this!"

Can someone more knowledgeable than I please supply me with this hadith and in doing so the name of that companion?

JazakAllah khair
D

sabina isa

Asalaamu alaikum -

Recently I've heard (twice now) in khutbahs about a Companion who killed a man in battle right after the man proclaimed his shahadah. The hadith went something like this:

A Companion was about to slay a man in battle and the man quickly said the shahadah. The Companion killed the man anyway. When the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam learned about this, he asked the Companion why he did it. The Companion said "he only said the shahadah to keep from dying!" to which the Prophet replied, "Do you know this? Could you see inside his heart?" The Companion in despair said "I wish I had not entered Islam before this!"

Can someone more knowledgeable than I please supply me with this hadith and in doing so the name of that companion?

JazakAllah khair
D

As salam alaikum,

I don't quite clearly remember this companion, but I deffinitely remeber another one very simmilar to this one. Was one of the fighters from the enemy's army, but one of companion made dawah to him right in the battle. He accepted islam in the battle, and started to fight now in the row with muslims. He was martyred. Prophet s.a.w.s said " I don't know luckier person than him. He even did not reach to pray two rakah and he entered Janah". For the before mentioned companion our brothers and sisters would help inshaeAllah.

We salam

xAllahKnowsBestx

:salam2:

I've heard of that too. Bro. Bilal Assad talked about this story in his lecture about judging others. I can't remember whether he mentioned who it was or not though. I'm sure someone else will have an answer.

DanyalSAC

I've heard of that too. Bro. Bilal Assad talked about this story in his lecture about judging others. I can't remember whether he mentioned who it was or not though. I'm sure someone else will have an answer.

Exactly, the khutbah I had heard was about judging others, too.

samiha

---------
Staff member

It's a quite well known incident actually...

Here's the narration I found:

Usama ibn Zayd killed an [enemy] idolater in battle after the latter had said: "There is no god but Allah" (La ilaha illallah). When news of this reached Allah's Messenger he condemned Usama in the strongest terms and he said to him: "How can you kill him after he said La ilaha illallah?" He replied: "But he said it with the sword hanging over his head-" The Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- said again: "How can you kill him after he said La ilaha illallah?" He replied: "O Messenger of Allah, he said it in dissimulation (taqiyyatan)." The Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him -- said: "Did you split his heart open (to see)?" and he did not cease to reprove him until Usama wished that he had not entered Islam until after he had killed that man so that he might have been forgiven all his past sins through belief. [28]

And a similar one:

Al-Miqdad said: I asked, "O Messenger of Allah, suppose I and one of the idolaters battled and he cut off my hand, then I was positioned to strike him and he said: La ilaha illallah! Do I kill him or spare him?" He said: "Spare him." I said: "Even if he cut off my hand?" He said: "Even so." I asked him again two or three times whereupon he said: "If you kill him after he says La ilaha illallah then you are like him before he said it, and he is like you before you killed him." [29]

[28] Narrated by Bukhari, Muslim, Ahmad, Tayalisi, Abu Dawud, Nasa'i, al-`Adni, Abu `Awana, al-Tahawi, al-Hakim, and Bayhaqi.
[29] Narrated by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Nasa'i, Shafi`i in his Musnad, and Bayhaqi in the Shu`ab.

It should be noted though, that Prophet :saw: still appointed Usamah ibn Zayd radiAllaahu anhu as the general of the Muslim army and sent him on other military expeditions after this during the life of the Prophet 'alayhi salaatu wa salaam (so although it was a mistake on his part, it was not held against him).

wasalaam