Need Reference; Is this Hadith sahih?

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
Assalaamu alaykkum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh

Long before I have read a hadith which states that it is prohibited to fold the clothes(EDIT :- i.e. rolling the sleeves up) while praying. It comes along with another line which state another prohibition during salaah which I'm not able to recollect now.

Is this Hadith saheeh?? Is there any reference? Please help. may Allah reward you with much good.

EDIT:- Also, Is it prohibited to do sajdah on hair??? like the hair falls on your forehead and you do sajdah in that state... is it allowed or prohibited?

JenGiove

:salam2:

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for and frankly, I don't understand it myself since its a new piece of information for me....but I hope it helps at least a little.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/11796/folding%20clothes
Ruling on rolling up sleeves during prayer

Does rolling up the sleeves count as part of the tucking up (of clothes or hair) that is not allowed during prayer? If it is part of that tucking up, then is the ruling different if I start praying with my sleeves rolled up, i.e., I did not roll them up during the prayer – or is it the same thing?

It is not permissible to roll up the sleeves or to fold them up before the prayer or during the prayer so that they will not touch the ground when doing sujood, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I have been commanded to pray on seven bones and not to tuck up my hair or my clothes.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

And Allaah is the source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions, and grant them peace.

Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Iftaa’, 7/38

Could somebody please explain to me what's going on? I need a frame of reference/understanding/explanation about why you wouldn't want to let your sleeves touch the ground and what the 'seven bones" is referring to...

HELP!

*to self: "this does not compute! this does not compute!"

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Jen, the seven bones refers to the seven parts of the body that touch the ground when one prostates. These are: the two hands, the two knees, the two feet, the forehead and the nose. And the forehead and the nose are taken together.

I hope this computes now.

The folding up the sleeves part means that men don't have to roll up their sleeves - its just a rule, and as a female, I have no idea why that is because we keep our sleeves or our headcover fall upto our wrists. Maybe one of the brothers can clarify.

But don't feel bad if things don't make sense. I think my brain is working *really* slow today because I thought the OP was asking why one can't fold their clothes while praying - and I thought they were saying folding clothes, as in folding laundry while praying. And I thought why in the world would anyone fold laundry whilst praying? We're not supposed to do any wordly thing when we pray. So it made no sense, and did not compute!!!

JenGiove

Jen, the seven bones refers to the seven parts of the body that touch the ground when one prostates. These are: the two hands, the two knees, the two feet, the forehead and the nose. And the forehead and the nose are taken together.

I hope this computes now.

The folding up the sleeves part means that men don't have to roll up their sleeves - its just a rule, and as a female, I have no idea why that is because we keep our sleeves or our headcover fall upto our wrists. Maybe one of the brothers can clarify.

But don't feel bad if things don't make sense. I think my brain is working *really* slow today because I thought the OP was asking why one can't fold their clothes while praying - and I thought they were saying folding clothes, as in folding laundry while praying. And I thought why in the world would anyone fold laundry whilst praying? We're not supposed to do any wordly thing when we pray. So it made no sense, and did not compute!!!

:salam2: sister,

Actually, the OP DID ask that but I've gotten into the habit of really trying to understand what someone is REALLY trying to convey, ESPECIALLY if English is not their first language. Things get lost/misspoken during translation (don't we already know this? :) ) and so I looked up "folding clothes" on Islamqa and that's what I found so I had an "AH HA!' moment and realized that THIS is what the OP was in reference to.....I just hope the answer was what they were looking for.

As for your answer to my "does not compute"...AH HA! THAT I think I heard before so THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to make it clear to me...((huggles))

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
:salam2: sister,

Actually, the OP DID ask that but I've gotten into the habit of really trying to understand what someone is REALLY trying to convey, ESPECIALLY if English is not their first language. Things get lost/misspoken during translation (don't we already know this? :) ) and so I looked up "folding clothes" on Islamqa and that's what I found so I had an "AH HA!' moment and realized that THIS is what the OP was in reference to.....I just hope the answer was what they were looking for.

As for your answer to my "does not compute"...AH HA! THAT I think I heard before so THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to make it clear to me...((huggles))

Thanks for correcting me Jen, 'rolling the sleeves up' is what i meant; I edited my first post now.
-----------
I ended up with the same fatwa but i need further clarification; Is one's prayer invalid if he rolls the sleeves up? I have to explain it to a brother properly because he rolls his sleeves while praying.

Also I remind you all of the second question which is, 'is it permissible to do sajdah while your hair falls on your forehead?'

JenGiove

Thanks for correcting me Jen, 'rolling the sleeves up' is what i meant; I edited my first post now.
-----------
I ended up with the same fatwa but i need further clarification; Is one's prayer invalid if he rolls the sleeves up? I have to explain it to a brother properly because he rolls his sleeves while praying.

Also I remind you all of the second question which is, 'is it permissible to do sajdah while your hair falls on your forehead?'

Well, I hope this one helps...I assume that sajdah means "prostration"...

Does a woman have to wear hijaab when she does sajdat al-tilaawah?
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/4908/sajdah#http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...amqa.com/en/search/sajdah/AllWords/t,q,a&tt=0http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...amqa.com/en/search/sajdah/AllWords/t,q,a&tt=0http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/4908/sajdah#

What should a woman do if she is reciting Qur’aan and comes across an aayah where a sajdah is prescribed? Should she prostrate when she is not covered, or what should she do?

Praise be to Allaah.

It is better for a woman if she comes across an aayah where a sajdah is prescribed to prostrate with her head covered, but if she does sajdat al-tilaawah without a cover, we hope that there is nothing wrong with that, because sajdat al-tilaawah does not come under the rulings on salaah – rather it is an act of submission and drawing close to Allaah, like all other kinds of dhikr and good deeds.

And Allaah is the source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah Li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Iftaa’, 7/263

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com

Rolling or tucking up a garment - whether that means rolling up the sleeves and baring the arms or rolling or tucking up the hem and baring the lower legs -- is all makrooh according to the majority of scholars.

If a person prays like that, he has done something wrong but his prayer is valid

In Hanafi , Shaafa‘i and Hanbali book, it says: It is makrooh to roll or tuck up one’s garment. But the Maalikis only regard that as makrooh in the case of one who does that for the prayer. But if that is how he was before he prayed, or he did that for the purpose of work, then it is not makrooh for him. The majority of scholars -- as stated above -- are of the view that it is makrooh in all cases.

you can read the full fatwa here - http://islamqa.com/en/ref/141473

All things in Islam are halal unless stated otherwise. I've never come across anything that says anything about this. Rather the above fatwa states

The scholars are unanimously agreed that it is not permissible to pray with one's sleeves or garment rolled up and the like, or with one's hair braided or with one's hair wrapped up beneath the turban and so on

so if you can't tie up your hair as stated above which means it would naturally get in the way. Unless someone can find a fatwa stating otherwise, inshallah i wouldn't worry about it.

Some of the scholars mentioned the reason for this prohibition as being that the hair and so on prostrate with a person.

see fatwa link above.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!

Rolling or tucking up a garment - whether that means rolling up the sleeves and baring the arms or rolling or tucking up the hem and baring the lower legs -- is all makrooh according to the majority of scholars.

If a person prays like that, he has done something wrong but his prayer is valid

In Hanafi , Shaafa‘i and Hanbali book, it says: It is makrooh to roll or tuck up one’s garment. But the Maalikis only regard that as makrooh in the case of one who does that for the prayer. But if that is how he was before he prayed, or he did that for the purpose of work, then it is not makrooh for him. The majority of scholars -- as stated above -- are of the view that it is makrooh in all cases.

you can read the full fatwa here - http://islamqa.com/en/ref/141473

All things in Islam are halal unless stated otherwise. I've never come across anything that says anything about this. Rather the above fatwa states

The scholars are unanimously agreed that it is not permissible to pray with one's sleeves or garment rolled up and the like, or with one's hair braided or with one's hair wrapped up beneath the turban and so on

so if you can't tie up your hair as stated above which means it would naturally get in the way. Unless someone can find a fatwa stating otherwise, inshallah i wouldn't worry about it.

wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahmatullah

Jazak Allahu khyir bro. Thanks for all the efforts. may Allah reward you with much good.