need some guidance

shawny

Hi,

I am a new member and I will admit I know little about Islam. I have a long term boyfriend who is a Muslim, and as we are getting more serious we have discussed our future together. IT is also an issue that sometimes he feels guilty for being with me as I am a christian (not practising) and we may find we have problems being together in the future if things stay as they are.

I was christianed as a child and it has never had an active role in my life. Since meeting my boyfriend however, I have started to learn more about Islam and I can feel myself becomming a better person because of him, because of Islam. I have stopped drinking alcohol, which is something I wouldn't have thought I would do of my own free will as I am a student in the UK. I feel I dress with more modesty and have a new found respect for myself.

I don't feel pressured in anyway to become a Muslim for the sake of my boyfriend, however, I do feel that maybe if I learn more about it, it could make me a better person. Of course, if I ever thought about becomming a Muslim in the future, it would have to be because I truly believe the Qu'ran and in Allah, not for my relationship.

I hope that this site and its members can help me with this. At the moment I am a bit lost.

Thank you.
Shawny

musliminah 05

:salam2:
Inshallah (if god wills) you will enjoy this site. As a revert myself my advice to you would be like you said Do not revert just for your relationship but for your self. I didnt no alot about Islam when I reverted and to this day I still dont as we are continually learning - one is never fully learnt!
But just take it a step at a time. I hadnt read the quran before I reverted, but I felt an inner peace and a place of belonging, which I had been looking for. I didnt understand many things and some things sounded very over the top but now as Allah has given me the capabilitly to understand, which is truly amazing!
You will know where your heart belongs ,your soul is inclined to it ,hard to explain and I am rambling on ,so sister just take it at your pace and dont feel you have to learn everything - things Inshallah(if Allah wills) will fit into place for you sister.
:tti_sister:
:wasalam:

lozzin

Salem Alikoum Shawny

HI there.

Welcome to TTI. When i look at your post it brings back memories for me as no so long ago i was in the same position as you but it was my husband and not my boyfriend.When i married my husband he was not a practising muslim so we didnt consider our differences in religion to be a problem.We had been together for a few years before he started practising his religion but when he did we found out that because i was an athiest at the time i was not halal for him and it was a very difficult time for us.Neither of us wanted to give up on the other but we knew it was wrong for us to be together.We both stood by each other and my husband started to teach me about Islam and the more i learnt the more i was amazed by the Qur'an and how much it told us about the world and everything around us and it was sent down to us over 1400 years ago.subhan allah!
Anyway,without me going on and on and to cut a long story short,i took my shahada and few weeks ago! everything id still new to me and i am learning everyday.Sometimes i feel a bit lost because there arent any sisters who live near me but i feel like i chose the right way.
Inshallah you will be ok but as you said if you are a christian and do not practise your religion then you will certainly have some problems in the future.MY husband and i know only too well the problems that you face but with guidance from Allah(Swt) and a little help from brothers and sisters then you will get through it.
If you ever need any help or anything then please dont hesitate to get in touch and if your boyfriend ever needs help then im sure my husband would love to have a chat with him.
There is one thing that has always warmed my heart and that is the love of the brothers and sisters and that they are always willing to help or talk,even if they have never spoken to each other before.Alhamdoulilah

Salem alikoum shawdy
Please let me know how things are going for you

Love from your sister
Lozzin

Karima80

:salam2: Shawny,
and welcome to TTI. Try to read and find answers for your question about islam and do it in your pace. You will feel enlightened by everything you read. From then you make your decision.
:hijabi:

Isra

aka Tree2008
As-Salamo Alaikome......

How wonderful for you that Allah has chosen to guide you to the straight path. I am also learning and have not formally taken my shahada but that will happen very soon.

I think maybe for everyone the discovery process happens in a different way. I had been searching all my life for the truth but where I was looking was in all the wrong places so of course I never found what I was looking for until one day I met a Muslim (the first person I had ever met who was Muslim) and through patient perserverance he challenged me to read the Quran and nothing more. Finally after all my resistance failed I took the challenge with the idea in my mind that Islam was no different than any of the other religions I had investigated...........oh how wrong I was. From the moment I began reading the Holy Quran the feeling that came over me was unmistakable and I knew in my heart these were Gods words.

I am still reading and learning and I know it will continue for the rest of my life. I am so happy that it is happening for you too and inshallah you will find out Islam is the only religion of Allah. Ameen.

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
AsalamAlakum,

Welcome to TTI

It’s nice to have u join this lovely community.

Insha Allah u benefit from us as we from u.

Enjoy ur stay Insha Allah,

Take Care,