New Converts enlighten me

F

fabs

If any Islamic converts could tell me about how they found Islam and why they turned to it, I'd be very pleased.
How did your parentsand friends react? Do any of you still live at home? What changes did it make to your daily/social life?
What religion did you follow before? Did anyone guide you through the process?
Which country are you from?

Hannah123

One Truth
Hi Fabs,
I first heard about Islam through a coworker. During Ramadan of last year, i heard the Holy Quran being recited and decided to research more. Because when i heard this my whole body wanted to know and feel more of the feeling. My family isn't too happy, my coworkers respect me. But in the end it's Allah(swt) i answer to. i was a non-practicing christian. Please feel free to ask all the questions you want. As embracing Islam was the best choice i've ever made.

ummsami89

My path to Islam

Well, Salam aliakum everyone.
I am Jamie. I converted to Islam, 7 years ago this past January. alhumduillah. I have been married to a muslim brother for 22 years. alhumduillah again. However, I wasnt ready to embrace before then. I always believed in what I knew of Islam then, and it all made sense. He would bring books home and such and said he hoped I would become muslim before I died. Well, when our son started going to Islamic school, my nonmuslim mother suggested I go to the mosque and see what they were teaching him........expecting me to bring him out of it. Well, I started going to the sisters halequah, learning more about islam on line(thats ab out the time I got a computer) etc etc. My best friend of 20+ years had already converted and she told me things too. We have a good muslim community, alhumduillah. The sister who led the halequahs was very knowledgable. maashallah. She taught me so much and I still go to her halequahas. anyway, one evening a bunch of the sisters and I were sitting around discussing Islam. The sister told me she knew that I was ready and to just say it. She also said that if I left the party and something happened to me and I would die as a nonmuslim. Wow..........that hit me hard! Alhumduillah. I said it that night. Alhumduillah.
Well, since then I have covered in hijab and I now teach at the Islamic School 2x a week, alhumduillah. I know some arabic and can read some. Alhumduillah, I cant imagine my life not being a muslim.
MY family...
not too accepting at first, esp my mom. she is old. The hijab bothers her the most. We have a very diverse family actually. My sister married a jewish man, my brother married a catholic..............I married a muslim. What else did my mom expect? lol Most of my family is fine now. Sometimes my mom says silly things but its ok. I ignore it. alhumduillah. I just pray for her to embrace Islam before she dies, herself. She is 86.
By the way, I embraced Islam when I was almost 40.
I work in a dept store, Macys actually. in hijab. People are pretty accepting of me. Sometimes people ask me questions but alhumduillah I can answer them fine. Sometimes people act stupid too. I deal with that too. I just carry on.
:tti_sister: salam aliakum all.

kayleigh

I got my initial, brief education on Islam in school (10th grade). After that I left it alone until I became more interested in politics and the Middle East. I figured it would be important for me to understand it if I wanted to go into anything that had to do with either subject. The more I looked into it, the more I thought it was right. I was Christian-turned-Agnostic, and I couldn't NOT believe in a God, and I felt like there was no real purpose and like something was missing. So I decided to embrace a religion - Islam.

I've told three friends. Two think it's fine and are happy for me. One - my best friend - her first reaction was, "your weird". I finally got to talk to her about it to her face and she's very understanding and interested in it.

Yes, I still live at home, and my parents don't know. I really wouldn't be surprised if I was kicked out or disowned. I mean no disrespect to them, but they're VERY Christian and VERY anti-Islam.

I have to be more mindful of what I eat, and what time it is. I'm waking up earlier than ever before, but I don't mind it anymore. I also try to pay more attention in how I act and what I say.

I was raised Christian. For awhile I called myself Agnostic but I think I was more of just a lazy Christian who didn't believe the Bible was always right (still believed Jesus was the son of God though, and all that stuff).

allahsservant

beautifl muslimah
alhamdullilah

thansk for asking! i loe telling people my conversion story!
well, i dont reall remember what exactly made me start thinking about Islam. I had only heard of muslims twice in my life, once when my sis told me that there was a girl in her class who prayed 5 times a day...i thought, man that must suck! praying five times a day! little did i know......
anyways, the second time i heard about islam and muslims was when the attck on 9/11 happened. (at first i didnt even know that they were muslims, i later found that out)
i cant really recall what made me decide to start looking up islam and muslims.but i did...at first i wanted to convert because i was having some self-esteem issues and loved the dress code for females. but later on i started to read bits of the holy quran off the internet and stuff about muslims and what they believed. i thought" wow! this is so cool!" it was like God had shown me something that was beautiful and pure! before all this happened, i had never really believed in the Trinity( or even heard of it since last year), and i didnt know what to think of God or Jesus.... i wasnt even sure that i believed in God (since my dad who was a single parent for almost all of my life and didnt have time to take me or my twin sister to church although he had always wanted to, im glad he didnt because i would probably never had heard of this religion).
anyways, i started to look up and print off tons of info about islam and muslims and carefully reading each one! after about three months of doing this, i decided to make my shahada. i made my shahada on July 5,2006. it was one of the happiest days of my life!
in October of 2006 i told my parents about my conversion. they were NOT happy! my stepmom said that she didint want me converting to a religion that didnt believe that Jesus(pbuh) was the "Son of God". i was unhappy and for at least 3 months didnt pray but i got over it and prayed again.
im still praying and reading the holy quran and visiting this forum. hopefully, when i turn 18 my parents will let me be a full-fledged muslim, hijab and all. but im going to go to a community college when im 18 and will stay at home probably till im 19. i want to be a full fledged muslim by then and wear hijab but im not sure how im going to tell my parents about my re-deciding to be a muslim. insha'allah they will take it well(again!) and let me be a muslim!

F

fabs

thansk for asking! i loe telling people my conversion story!
well, i dont reall remember what exactly made me start thinking about Islam. I had only heard of muslims twice in my life, once when my sis told me that there was a girl in her class who prayed 5 times a day...i thought, man that must suck! praying five times a day! little did i know......
anyways, the second time i heard about islam and muslims was when the attck on 9/11 happened. (at first i didnt even know that they were muslims, i later found that out)
i cant really recall what made me decide to start looking up islam and muslims.but i did...at first i wanted to convert because i was having some self-esteem issues and loved the dress code for females. but later on i started to read bits of the holy quran off the internet and stuff about muslims and what they believed. i thought" wow! this is so cool!" it was like God had shown me something that was beautiful and pure! before all this happened, i had never really believed in the Trinity( or even heard of it since last year), and i didnt know what to think of God or Jesus.... i wasnt even sure that i believed in God (since my dad who was a single parent for almost all of my life and didnt have time to take me or my twin sister to church although he had always wanted to, im glad he didnt because i would probably never had heard of this religion).
anyways, i started to look up and print off tons of info about islam and muslims and carefully reading each one! after about three months of doing this, i decided to make my shahada. i made my shahada on July 5,2006. it was one of the happiest days of my life!
in October of 2006 i told my parents about my conversion. they were NOT happy! my stepmom said that she didint want me converting to a religion that didnt believe that Jesus(pbuh) was the "Son of God". i was unhappy and for at least 3 months didnt pray but i got over it and prayed again.
im still praying and reading the holy quran and visiting this forum. hopefully, when i turn 18 my parents will let me be a full-fledged muslim, hijab and all. but im going to go to a community college when im 18 and will stay at home probably till im 19. i want to be a full fledged muslim by then and wear hijab but im not sure how im going to tell my parents about my re-deciding to be a muslim. insha'allah they will take it well(again!) and let me be a muslim!

Thanks for telling it. That's really nice I think and sincere.

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
So Mr fabs, I hope you have gone through the videos of reverts, read about them. You have to learn more so that you understand what is Islam ?
Insha Allah I hope that Allah SUbhanahu Wa Taala guides you.

F

fabs

So Mr fabs, I hope you have gone through the videos of reverts, read about them. You have to learn more so that you understand what is Islam ?
Insha Allah I hope that Allah SUbhanahu Wa Taala guides you.

I have been thank you :) :)
Checking up on me are you?

italianmuslimah

Hi fabs...

to be honest it's actually hard to really put into words and explain properly and could take all day lol.
Since i converted 9 months ago i've realised even more that it's Allah swt to open people's minds and hearts to Islam and if someone is sincere and wants to know the truth then inshAllah they will eventually see it no matter how long it takes. If a person is not sincere then it makes no difference how much they learn or read they still won't understand and see the truth of Islam (at least that's my opinion!)

I grew up in the UK but i'm half Italian and was brought up as a Catholic...i currently live in Italy with mum and sister and recently told people about me being muslim. I've had mixed reactions really...friends seem quite accepting, same with most of my family.

The main problem is with my mum as she has a lot of false ideas about Islam and she's very angry and upset with me right now...i think she feels let down because she just can't understand it.
A close friend of hers thinks i should talk to a psychologist lol....she thinks it's weird that someone with a degree, especially a woman would turn to Islam...unfortunately many people can't see that someones educational background makes absolutely no difference.

My uncle wants me to go and speak to a priest...he's quite a strict Catholic and he doesn't understand why i don't believe in the trinity, confession to priests etc
In fact the main reason i looked into Islam was my confusion over my own religion and the fact that i realised i didn't even believe parts of it....fundamental parts of the doctrine!

Before i learned about Islam with an open mind i actually held quite negative views about it and when i converted i even still thought to myself that i would never wear hijab....but because i knew Islam was the truth in my heart i had to accept it...and in fact it's the beauty of Islam that changes people and the way they think....now i can honestly tell u that i can't wait to start wearing hijab!

My mum can't understand why i would never go to the beach again and get into a bikini or go out to bars etc...but you see what i'm trying to explain to her is that i would never give up things that i have been doing all my life and used to love doing unless i believed 100% in the truth of Islam...

well hope that was at least of some help...feel free to ask any questions

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Salam Allaikuum

Sister italianmuslimah

Alhamdulila You Reverted To Islam . Congrats on that and May Allah Guide Your Family to Islam. Inshallah

People Tend To Think that Even After education Why does someone Believe in Religion Like Islam . Becasue they dont Understand Islam and the Rights, Limits, Duties Given to Muslims. Many think that Islam is a Religion Like Pagans Worshiping , Many even confuse this with Religions Like Hindism and Budism. and there are many other things that they hear form the Media.

Many People Dont Know that We Believe In Alllah and Not Prophet Muahmmed(SAWS) . They Think That we Believe in Muhammed(SAWS) and so they call Us Muhammadism people. Astag furillah. May Allah Guid Them

Salaam Allaikum

F

fabs

I know a lot of Italians, so I appreciate how Catholic they are.
I was brought up a Catholic as well so I find it strangely sad the way things have turned out between you and your family, but you chose the way you think is right and that's what counts.

If any Islamic converts could tell me about how they found Islam and why they turned to it, I'd be very pleased.
How did your parentsand friends react? Do any of you still live at home? What changes did it make to your daily/social life?
What religion did you follow before? Did anyone guide you through the process?
Which country are you from?

Try this link, it has many stories of people that embraced Islam...some that even made me cry...

http://thetruereligion.org

BlueFish

Hello fabs,:cool:
Christian values were what i was raised with, i found Islam not by mistake or happened to stumble accross it, but it was through art.:SMILY47: I need to do a report on the history of Islam art and architecture. Being an open minded artist, i found this most interesting. Over time i found out more and more. I found that most negetive things said in the media were not true :SMILY138: (this being another reason for research). I discovered many comforting and conferming messeges
from the Quran.:SMILY231: There is still much to be learned, insha'allah i will. It is easier if you learn as a child would, without prejudgeduce. I will tell you the truth, i am still cautious who i tell about my interests in Islam. I talk to my mother some about it. She is a christian. She is trying to understand, and she says she is proud of me. My father , when i presented him the quran, he didn't want to even open it. My father is... a believer in God, but also he drinks :SMILY27: more than he reads about God. My parents have been divorced for along time.
Not sure what you wanted to know or what you didn't. But if this was enlightening in anyway im glad to help.:laughing-dancing:
Peace!