NHS staff told to eat away from desks for Ramadan

IbnAlAawam

:salam2:

Political correctness going too far. I am sure muslims had no say in that decision. That is extreme and muslims are going to be blamed for it. Islamophobic websites are already feasting on that news...

NHS staff told to eat away from desks for Ramadan

HOSPITAL staff in the Lothians have been told not to eat at their desks to avoid offending Muslim colleagues during Ramadan.

NHS Lothian has advised doctors and other health workers not to have working lunches during the 30-day fast, which begins next month.

The health service's Equality and Diversity Officer sent an e-mail to all senior managers, giving guidance on religious tolerance.

This includes ensuring Muslim staff are given breaks to pray, and time off to celebrate Eid at the end of Ramadan.

It is understood they also advised hospital managers to move food trolleys away from areas where Muslims work.

An NHS spokesman said he could not confirm what was in the e-mail.

Jim McCaffery, director of acute services and workforce at NHS Lothian, said: "This e-mail was circulated to a number of senior managers as we continue to promote cultural awareness in our organisation."

But the move has angered many doctors and politicians, who say it is taking religious tolerance too far.

Bill Aitken, Scottish Conservative justice spokesman, was reported as saying: "Frankly, this advice, well meaning as it may be, is total nonsense.

"This is the sort of thing that can stir up resentments rather than result in good relations."

This article: http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=1275192007

Last updated: 13-Aug-07 12:42 BST

Asalaamalikum,

I agree, I don't think non-Muslims should eat away from their desks. As long as they are not bothering you while your fasting then I don't see the problem. A fast is only between the individual and God.

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
resentment raher than understanding

The action may have been meant in good faith, but I don't think that it will foster understanding between islam and others. Rather it will cause resentment. Anyways, a true faster will not be affected by people around him eating.

Jihan

I am sure people wil get mad and which they have a right to. We are the fasting ones not them. and we withhold ourselves while others are eating around us then we benefit more. They know they will not benefit by not eating(unless they're on a diet). So they should eat their food and we (or they in this case) should benefit from not eating.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

This reminds me of the time when the Metropolitan Police where providing security outside some Islamic exhibition or conference. They were given orders by their commissioner not eat any bacon sandwiches while on patrol lest they should offend any Muslims!

wasalam

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i hate it it when these things happen, because the haters of islam start trying to use this against us. they'll say that we're trying to take over etc. while not understanding that most muslims aren't interested or don't care whether people eat in front of us while we're fasting. actually it presents an opportunity for us to spread dawah. in my experiences of fasting, people would ask how come i wasn't eating and then it would open up a chance to explain about ramadan and islam. i wasn't upset about them eating in front of me nor would i ask them not to eat in front of me while i am fasting.

:wasalam:

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

i hate it it when these things happen, because the haters of islam start trying to use this against us. they'll say that we're trying to take over etc. while not understanding that most muslims aren't interested or don't care whether people eat in front of us while we're fasting. actually it presents an opportunity for us to spread dawah. in my experiences of fasting, people would ask how come i wasn't eating and then it would open up a chance to explain about ramadan and islam. i wasn't upset about them eating in front of me nor would i ask them not to eat in front of me while i am fasting.

I agree with what you say about a great opportunity for dawah when they see us not eat or drink. I still salivate at the mouth though when someone is chugging water while I fast. The food I do not have a problem with. Insha Allah this year will be better.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

I agree with what you say about a great opportunity for dawah when they see us not eat or drink. I still salivate at the mouth though when someone is chugging water while I fast. The food I do not have a problem with. Insha Allah this year will be better.

it's going to be tough to fight the thirst this year. a lot of my relief will be out during ramadan. many of times i have to lift heavy things and take in warehouse trucks etc. which leave you very thirsty. pray that Allah SWT gives me the strength to carry out my fast without having to break it early.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

it's going to be tough to fight the thirst this year. a lot of my relief will be out during ramadan. many of times i have to lift heavy things and take in warehouse trucks etc. which leave you very thirsty. pray that Allah SWT gives me the strength to carry out my fast without having to break it early.

Yes your challenge is much larger than mine. I pray Allah (SWT) makes it easy for all of us. :tti_sister:

apocalypse77

i ahte it when this things happen, they make it seem as if were trying to "islamize" their western cultures..i mean DUH..who cares man..they can eat for all they want and ill mine my own business

carpy321

its just the goverment trying to be helpful.. its just they dont actually get muslim views on things..
Its my first fasting but im hoping people still do eat in front of me. will just be allah swt testing us all

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom,

Well to be honest I have different opinion well if they send msg not to eat @ thier desk I think is good, they trying to be helpfull to Muslim, but its our duty to let them know about Ramadan ( other empolyees).

I think its time that people need to consider Muslims days, and so every know about Islam more. In Saudi Arabia they annouce on TV that try to becarfull in ramadan to non Muslim to try to look the feeling of the fasting people.

I dont see anything wrong with it and if Doctors and Politician dont like its fine too because by the time passes they will get used to it and will know the pracitce of Islam and Ramadan.

as for ORally who listen to him this guy is like a radio station he keeps talking but no one listen to him.

I think its a good move from the company to observe Muslim holymonth.
I dont think if people wont eat thier desk they will have nerve break :), on other hand thier desk will be cleaner this way.

UPS the delievery company its very hard on this issue no one can eat in the company at thier desk they need to go to Cafeteria or lunch break area to eat.

I think its a good move,

Wa Allah knows best..
Salaam alikom

IMAM

Well this will definitely come on Bill O'Reilly's show...I can hear what he will say lol.

lool....not to mention hannity and colmes...it irritates me that whenevr they want to show anything about muslim a clip of 9/11 has to be shown......

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

I agree with MrMuslim. I don't see this as a bad idea at all. They're just trying to be polite and not all Muslims are numb when seeing other people eat and you can't say those who aren't numb are weak. Even in Saudi Arabia, it is prohibited to eat/drink in public during the month of Ramadhaan. Yes, it is a Muslim country but there are lots of non-Muslim employees. If because of this people start to think that Islam is a hard religion, then another door is opened for Da'wah Insha Allaah.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
Assalamu alaikum,

I agree with MrMuslim. I don't see this as a bad idea at all. They're just trying to be polite and not all Muslims are numb when seeing other people eat and you can't say those who aren't numb are weak. Even in Saudi Arabia, it is prohibited to eat/drink in public during the month of Ramadhaan. Yes, it is a Muslim country but there are lots of non-Muslim employees. If because of this people start to think that Islam is a hard religion, then another door is opened for Da'wah Insha Allaah.

If you take it at face value, it's a nice idea but instead of helping promote relations between Muslims and non-Muslims as it is intended to, all it does it stir up resentment which is also made worse by the media who use it to further their anti-islamic sentiments.

wasalam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
i ahte it when this things happen, they make it seem as if were trying to "islamize" their western cultures..i mean DUH..who cares man..they can eat for all they want and ill mine my own business

We can't judge them like that. Who knows they mean well?

Jihan

Why do they eat on their desks anyway? don't they have a pantry or something?

LOL:laughing-dancing: ... yeah how unprofessional.... why don't they go eat in a launge or resturant/cafe, cafeteria... somewhere that is actually designated for eating:jumpclap: I bet all they do at their meetings is eat food:SMILY32: ...

good thinking Huruilein:SMILY149:!!!!....

najbc

Assalam

I think all people who are not muslim that does not fast rights sholud be respect. and that they should be allow to have luch where they went. a true beleiver fasting will not be affect by other eating. respect each other rights.