Nisfu Syaaban - It is remembered by many Muslims, but for different reasons.

dianne

Assalamualaikum,

Mid-Sha'ban is the 15th day of the month of Sha'ban in the Islamic calendar.

What about your opinion? as your knowledge what do you know about mid month of Syaaban? Kindly we can discuss,as for a good deeds of ummah.

Wassalam

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Dear scholars, I really need your advice! Here in Bangladesh, people always celebrate the 15th night of the month of Sha`ban, which they call “the Night of Shabe-e-Barat”. What do you think of such a practice? Please enlighten me on this issue.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All thanks and praise are due to Allah and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, We really appreciate the confidence you place in us and the great interest you show in understanding the teachings of Islam.

In the hadith reported by Imam At-Tabarani, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said: “Truly, there are nafahat (blessed seasons or days) in which your Lord vouchsafes plentiful mercy. So, make sure that you make the best use of such seasons!” A true believer should purify himself from the fleshly inclinations and the earthly desires and make his aspirations so high and beseech Allah for mercy in such blessed seasons which witness the abundant mercy of Allah. One point here to be stressed is that a true Muslim should consider his whole life a long-term season of obedience so as to show gratitude to the everlasting blessing of Allah.

Responding to the question, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, president of the Fiqh Council ofNorth America , states::

The month of Sha`ban is the eighth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. The fifteenth night of this month is known as laylatul-bara’ah (the Night of Innocence) or laylat un-nisfe min Sha`ban (the Middle Night of Sha`ban) in the Arab world. In India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Afghanistan, etc., it is known as shab-e-barat. Some people believe that in surat Ad-Dukhan (44:3-4) there is a reference to this night as Allah says, (We sent it (the Qur’an) down during a blessed night. We are truly Warners. In that night is made distinct every affair of wisdom.) But the night referred to here cannot be a Sha`ban night because it is said here clearly that the Qur’an was revealed in this night. We know from the surat Al-Qadr (97) that the Qur’an was revealed in the Night of Qadr and we also know from the Qur’an (Al-Baqarah 2:185) that the Qur’an was revealed in the month of Ramadan. So it is obvious that the night of the revelation of the Qur’an was in Ramadan, not Sha`ban, and that it was laylat ul-qadr (the Night of Power) not shab-e-barat.

Some people also say that in the 2nd year of Hijrah, the direction of the Qiblah was changed from Jerusalem to the Ka`bah in Makkah on the 15th day of Sha`ban. This report is also not confirmed by authentic hadiths. According to most of the exegetes, the Qur’an has not mentioned anything about the Sha`ban night.

There are some hadiths that speak about the Middle of Sha`ban and its night. However, the scholars of hadith say that most of the hadiths concerning this night are not authentic. They are weak (da`if) according to the criteria of the narrators and scholars of Hadith. Imam Al-Mundhiri (died in 656 A.H.) in his famous book At-Targhib wat-Tarhib (vol. 2, pp. 116-120) reported fourteen hadiths on the subject of this night. The following points can be summarized from those hadiths:
1. The month of Sha`ban is a great month.
2. In this month Allah takes the account of His creation.
3. Because this month occurs between two other important months, viz. Rajab and Ramadan, many people do not pay enough attention to it.
4. The Prophet (peace be upon him) loved to fast during this month. He used to fast most of the month of Sha`ban.
5. After sunset on the night of Middle of Sha`ban, Allah in His great mercy and kindness turns towards His creation and asks, "Is there anyone who would seek My forgiveness and I forgive him (or her)? Is there anyone who is in need to ask Me and I provide for his (or her) needs. Is there anyone who is in pain and seeks My help and I help him (or her)? Is there…? Is there…?” until the time of Dawn."
6. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is said to have recommended prayers during this night and fasting during the following day.
7. It reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to visit the Muslim cemetery on this evening and he used to pray for the deceased Muslims.
These are the things that we learn from some hadiths about the significance of this night. However, there are many practices and customs common in some Muslim countries, such as making a sweet dish, setting off fireworks, etc. These things have no meaning and no reference in hadiths. There are also some superstitious beliefs about this night. For example, some people believe that the spirits of the deceased visit their relatives during this night. Some believe that there is a special tree in Heaven upon whose leaves are the names of all human beings, and whatever leaves drop during this night, those people are destined to die in this year. Some think that the decisions about the life and death of people are made during this night. All these beliefs and superstitions do not belong to the authentic teachings of the Qur’an and Sunnah.
We must try to follow the Qur’an and the authentic Sunnah of the blessed Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). It is our duty as Muslims to take advantage of all good occasions to revive our faith, to purify our souls, and to increase our love and devotion to Allah (glory be to Him), but we must follow the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). We must not do anything in our celebrations that is against his teachings.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...nglish-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaEAskTheScholar

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
As-salamu `alaykum wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuh. I have noticed that some Muslims specify the 15th of Sha`ban with some acts of worship such as fasting during the daytime, observing qiaym al-layl or night vigil, reading the Glorious Qur'an, and making du`aa'. Is this right from the Islamic perspective? Please clarify. Jazakum Allah khayran.

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we appreciate the great confidence you have in us, and we implore Allah to help us serve the cause of Islam and to render this work for His Sake.

The month of Sha`ban is a beloved month for Muslims, for it precedes the month of Ramadan. In addition, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have observed optional fasting in this month more than in any other month.

Shedding light on the question "whether is allowed to specify the 15th of Sha`ban with some acts of worship or not", the Saudi eminent Muslim scholar, Sheikh ibn Fawzan, states the following:

Nothing firm and reliable has been established on the authority of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), that he held night vigil prayer and fasted during the day of the 15th of Sha`ban. So, the night of the 15th of Sha`ban is like any other night, and if someone regularly observes acts of worship during other nights, then he may hold night vigil prayer on this night without assuming anything special (because of it being the night of the 15th of Sha`ban).
This is because specifying a time for any act of worship requires an authentic proof, so if there is no authentic proof then the act is regarded as an innovation and all innovations are misguidance. Likewise, regarding specifically fasting during the 15th day of Sha`ban, then no (authentic) proof has been established on the authority of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to indicate the legality of fasting on that particular day.

Tackling the same issue, the well-known Saudi scholar, Sheikh ibn `Uthaymeen, adds:

What is correct is that fasting on the 15th of Sha`ban or specifying it with reciting (the Qur'an) or making (particular) supplications on that day has no basis. So that day is like any other 15th day of other months. Something that is clear is that it has been made permissible for a person to fast on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of every month. However, Sha`ban is somehow special (except for Ramadan) in the sense that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to fast more in the month of Sha`ban than any other month. So he used to either fast all of Sha`ban or just a little.
Therefore, as long as it does not involve any hardship, one can increase his fasting days during Sha`ban, emulating the example of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.fatwa-online.com
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...nglish-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaEAskTheScholar

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
the especial night mentioned in surah Dakan means which night.is it the shaban or Qadar?

Question:
what is the importance of 15 shaban,is it the night in which the fate of every one is decided for the next year?
the especial night mentioned in surah Dakan means which night.is it the shaban or Qadar?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Laylat al-Nusf min Sha’baan (the 15th of Sha’baan) is like any other night, and there is no sound report from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to indicate that on this night the fate or destiny of people is decided.

See Question no. 8907.

With regard to the night mentioned in the verses:

“We sent it (this Qur’aan) down on a blessed night. Verily, We are ever warning [mankind that Our Torment will reach those who disbelieve in Our Oneness of Lordship and in Our Oneness of worship].

Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments”

[al-Dukhaan 44:3-4]

Ibn Jareer al-Tabari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the commentators differed concerning that night, i.e., which night of the year it is. Some of them said that it is Laylat al-Qadr, and it was narrated from Qurtaadah that it is Laylat al-Qadr. Others said that it is the night of the 15th of Sha’baan. The correct view is the view of those who say that it is Laylat al-Qadr, because Allaah has told us of that when He says, ‘Verily, We are ever warning’ [al-Dukhaan 44:3].”

(Tafseer al-Tabari, 11/221)

With regard to the phrase, “Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments”: Ibn Hajar said in his commentary on Saheeh al-Bukhaari: “What this means is that the decrees for the year are decided on that night, because Allaah says: ‘Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments’. And al-Nawawi said: the scholars said that it is called Laylat al-Qadr because on this night the angels write down the decrees (aqdaar), because Allaah says, ‘Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments’. This was also narrated by ‘Abd al-Razzaaq and other mufassireen with saheeh isnaads from Mujaahid, ‘Ikrimah, Qutaadah and others. Al-Toorbashti said that the word used in the Qur’aan is qadr, whereas people think it is qadar (decree); the word qadr refers to the detailed manifestation of the decree.

Laylat al-Qadr brings great reward for the one who does good deeds and strives in worship on that night.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We have sent it (this Qur’aan) down in the Night of Al-Qadr (Decree).

And what will make you know what the Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?

The Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allaah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).

Therein descend the angels and the Rooh [Jibreel (Gabriel)] by Allaah’s Permission with all Decrees,

(All that night), there is peace (and goodness from Allaah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn”[al-Qadr 97:1-5]

There are many ahaadeeth which speak of the virtue of that night, such as the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari from Abu Hurayrah, in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever spends Laylat al-Qadr in prayer out of faith and hoping for reward, all his previous sins will be forgiven, and whoever fasts Ramadaan out of faith and hoping for reward, all his previous sins will be forgiven.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Sawm, 1768).

And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=11722&ln=eng&txt=shaban

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:

JazakAllah khair bro ayman.
Sister dianne , Nisfu sha'baan adalah bid'ah. A lot of malays celebrate this .
Harap sister dianne tak marah .

dianne

JazakAllah khair bro ayman.
Sister dianne , Nisfu sha'baan adalah bid'ah. A lot of malays celebrate this .
Harap sister dianne tak marah .

Thank you brother,hey im not mad,i did not celebrate,sorry you got wrong opinion of what i thought,some of the hadith is daif (weak),i didnt say its a must or anything,thats why i asks somebodys opinion to discuss.
Its good that brother ayman clear the issue,coz if we cant accept it,we will live with the false practise of Islam.the one who cant accept the fact is stupid ppl who doesnt accept the truth.
Its just a practise for a month before fasting,we didnt say its a must for everybody!
Hey brother ayman,thanks again!

Wassalamualaikum

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Thank you brother,hey im not mad,i did not celebrate,sorry you got wrong opinion of what i thought,some of the hadith is daif (weak),i didnt say its a must or anything,thats why i asks somebodys opinion to discuss.
Its good that brother ayman clear the issue,coz if we cant accept it,we will live with the false practise of Islam.the one who cant accept the fact is stupid ppl who doesnt accept the truth.
Its just a practise for a month before fasting,we didnt say its a must for everybody!
Hey brother ayman,thanks again!

Wassalamualaikum

Thats nice to hear

dianne

Salam brother alkhatiri,

Excuse me? alot of Malays celebrate this? have u live with the malays community?
If theyre celebrating this,which state u live in? Singapore only have 13.9% malays of the 4.16mil population.,u should know that instead of my country beliefs.

Wassalam

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Assalamualaikum Sister Dianne,

Don't be offended Sister. Brother Alkhatiri didn't mean it like that.
In Singapore, from what we are going thro,most Malay Muslims, follow such practices without looking thro the hadith for it (whether it is a strong chain or not). They just follow whatever they are told to. And that's saddening. Some are even taught by their Ustaz/Uztazah.
I pray that Allah s.w.t will guide us to the straight path, in following the Sunnah and not the bid'ah.

dianne

Assalamualaikum Sister Dianne,

Don't be offended Sister. Brother Alkhatiri didn't mean it like that.
In Singapore, from what we are going thro,most Malay Muslims, follow such practices without looking thro the hadith for it (whether it is a strong chain or not). They just follow whatever they are told to. And that's saddening. Some are even taught by their Ustaz/Uztazah.
I pray that Allah s.w.t will guide us to the straight path, in following the Sunnah and not the bid'ah.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wassalam

Globalpeace

Banned
15th of Shabaan (Who says what)???

Asslamo Allaikum Brothers/Sisters in Islam,

My standard response to the issue for the last 5+Years at Jummuah!

We get many Brothers from all different backgrounds so issues have to be broken down & discussed at length.

Just spoke about the 15th of Sha’baan (Shab-e-Barat (Urdu), Nisfus-Sha’baan (Arabic)) in Jummuah and here is the gist of what I have learned from scholars and other sources:

1. There is no verse of the Qur’aan or Authentic Ahadeeth about any special worship on this night

2. There is no verse of the Qur’aan or Authentic Ahadeeth about fasting on the next day

3. There is no verse of the Qur’aan or Authentic Ahadeeth about the merit of this night

4. HOWEVER there are lots & lots of weak Ahadeeth in this regards…

5. The best Hadeeth in this regard is the one narrated in Ibn Majah & Baihiqi and lets analyse this hadeeth:

When the Middle Night of Shabaan arrives, you should stand (Praying) in the night and should fast in the day following it (Ibn Majah, Baihiqi)

a. In the chain we find Abu Bakr Ibn Abi Saburah who cannot be relied upon. He is declared to be weak by Imam Bukhari (RA).

b. Nevertheless he was a Mufti Of Madinah & a Qadhi of Iraq in days of Mansur, succeeded by Imam Abu Yusuf (RA), the famous student of Imam Abu Haneefa (RA)

c. Scholars of Hadeeth HAVE not listed his Hadeeth as a fabrication in the commentaries of Ibn’Majah

d. Imam Ahmed Bin Hanbal (RA) has declared him to be a FABRICATOR of Hadeeth, but:

i. A B & C point to the fact that he wasn’t a fabricator and the hadeeth isn’t a fabrication.

ii. Imam Ahmed Bin Hanbal's opinion is not shared by Imam Bukhari (RA) & others.

6. Now from here on the opinions divide:

a. Some scholars say that there is nothing authentic so case closed, and this the opinion WHICH is CLOSEST to Sunnah, because we are instructed in the Sunnah to avoid matters of doubt.

b. Other say that since there are many WEAK narrations about this night, then there must be something in it and this list includes:

i. Imam Shaf’ae (RA) (I have the reference & quote at home)

ii. So many Ahaadith and reports exist regarding the excellence of the fifteenth night of Shabaan that one is compelled to accept that this night possesses some virtue". (Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (RA) Faydhul-Qadeer. vol 2., pg 317]

iii. Shaykh Safiur-ur-Rahman Mubarakpori (RA) and he says, “The sheer number of Ahaadith regarding this night serve as proof against those people who refute the excellence of this night". [Tuhfatul-Ahwazi. vol 2. pg 53]”

iv. There are others but I will suffice with these three….as others make the same point

7. Majority of Scholars disregard bi, bii & biii (with the utmost respect & may Allah (SWT) have mercy on them [Ameen] because the weakness in these ahadeeth are TOO WEAK & Shaykh Rasheed Ahmed Al-Hanafi (RA) discussed in his Urdu book “7 Bid’aahs” and he concludes that even 1000 Ahadeeth of such weakness will not mean a thing…

For those following Hanafi Madhab I quote the following scholars who deny any Merit....

Moulana Yusuf Binouri (RadhiAllaahu-anhu) says, "I have not come across any Sahih, Marfoo or Musnad Hadith regarding the excellence of the night". [Ma'aarifus Sunnan, vol 5, pg 419].

Shaykh Rasheed Ahmed Ludhyanwi (RA)

Mufti Zubair Dudha (Bradford, UK)

8. Scholars who accept the merit of this night based on the collection of MANY MANY weak narrations and tradition of Muslims (as pointed out by Sister dianne), state and accept:

I quote Mufti Taqi Usmani (The current Grand-Mufti of Pakistan) WHO STATES that EVEN if you were to accept the Merit of this Night, THEN:

a. There is no special worship
b. There is no special celebrations, fireworks, sweets, dancing, enjoying
c. You SHOULD repent from your sins & do worship AT HOME as it is the standard practise in the Madhab i.e. optional worship at home & NOT the Mosque and you CAN'T go around wasting your time in celebrations on a Night of special Mercy.

I personally don’t do anything special and don’t fast on the next day.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

That was a thread pack with scholars opinion.
What does imam shafii say about this? You miss that part.

Globalpeace

Banned
Imam Shafae (RA)'s & other opinions on 15th of Shabaan in FULL!

That was a thread pack with scholars opinion.
What does imam shafii say about this? You miss that part.

Imam Shafi rahmatullahi alayh said in Al-Umm, Vol. 1 p. 231:

Imam Shafi (RA) said, “of the narrations that have reached us, verily, dua is accepted on five nights: the night of Juma’, the night of E’id Al-Adha, the night of E’id Al-Fitr, the first night of Rajab, and the 15th night of Shabaan”.

Imam Ibn-Taimiyyah (RA): (Kutub Wa Rasila Wa Fatawa Ibn Taymiyyah Fil Fiqh Volume 23/Page 132)

As for the 15th night of Shabaan, there are many narrations and Athar (quotes from the Sahabah ) regarding its virtue. It has been reported of the salaf that they prayed in this night. Therefore, praying alone on this night, having precedence in the salaf, is sufficient evidence and something of this kind surely cannot be denied.

Imam Ibn-Taimiyyah (RA): (Kutub Wa Rasial Wa Fatawa Ibn Taymiyyah Fil Fiqh Volume 23/Page 131)

If one prays on this night alone or in a select company of people as many groups amongst the salaf did, then it is good. As for congregating in the masjid upon a fixed prayer like gathering upon a salat with 100 rakats, and reciting Surah Ikhlas a thousand times, this is bida’t. None of the scholars extolled this and Allah knows best.

So again! No Celebrations! No Special Worship! Nothing.
It doesn't matter how you slice or dice the cake, its the same thing

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Imam Shafi rahmatullahi alayh said in Al-Umm, Vol. 1 p. 231:

Imam Shafi (RA) said, “of the narrations that have reached us, verily, dua is accepted on five nights: the night of Juma’, the night of E’id Al-Adha, the night of E’id Al-Fitr, the first night of Rajab, and the 15th night of Shabaan”.

Imam Ibn-Taimiyyah (RA): (Kutub Wa Rasila Wa Fatawa Ibn Taymiyyah Fil Fiqh Volume 23/Page 132)

As for the 15th night of Shabaan, there are many narrations and Athar (quotes from the Sahabah ) regarding its virtue. It has been reported of the salaf that they prayed in this night. Therefore, praying alone on this night, having precedence in the salaf, is sufficient evidence and something of this kind surely cannot be denied.

Imam Ibn-Taimiyyah (RA): (Kutub Wa Rasial Wa Fatawa Ibn Taymiyyah Fil Fiqh Volume 23/Page 131)

If one prays on this night alone or in a select company of people as many groups amongst the salaf did, then it is good. As for congregating in the masjid upon a fixed prayer like gathering upon a salat with 100 rakats, and reciting Surah Ikhlas a thousand times, this is bida’t. None of the scholars extolled this and Allah knows best.

So again! No Celebrations! No Special Worship! Nothing.
It doesn't matter how you slice or dice the cake, its the same thing

I dont quite get it the salaf prayed and then you say there is no special worship? Are u saying the prayers are normal prayers

dianne

“He never fasted more than in the month of Sha`bân”| Sheikh Muhammad b. Sâlih al-`Uthaymîn|

`Â’ishah tells us: “I never saw the Prophet (peace be upon him) fast an entire month except for the month of Ramadân. I never saw him fast more often in any other month than he did in Sha`bân.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1969) and Sahîh Muslim (1156)]

This hadîth establishes that it is Sunnah to fast more often in the month of Sha`bân. Sha`bân is a month that we should single out for offering extra voluntary fasts.
Fasting is Sunnah throughout the Month

She also said: “He used to observe fasts throughout the month of Sha`bân.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1970)]

She also said: “He used to fast the month of Sha`bân except for a few days of it.” [Sahîh Muslim]

Usâmah b. Zayd said:
The Prophet (peace be upon him) never fasted more frequently than he did in the month of Sha`bân.

I asked why he did so, and he told me: “This is a month that people neglect between the month of Rajab and the month of Ramadân. Yet, it is a month wherein the deeds are raised up tt the Lord of All the Worlds, and I like to have my deeds raised up while I am fasting.”
This hadîth is related in Musnad Ahmad (21735) and Sunan al-Nasâ’î (2357). Ibn Muflih says about it in al-Furû` (3/120): “It has a good chain of transmission.”
Singling Out the 15th Day of Sha`bân for Fasting

The evidence given above applies to the entire month. There are no particular days within the month of Sha`bân that are particularly recommended for fasting. There is no special virtue for fasting on the 15th day of Sha`bân.

There is a weak hadîth that reads: “When the middle night of Sha`bân arrives, observe prayer throughout that night and fast the following day, for indeed Allah descends to the lower heavens on that night at sunset and declares: ‘Is there anyone seeking forgiveness whom I can forgive? Is anyone seeking My providence whom I can provide for? Is there anyone facing difficulties whose burdens I can ease?...’ and He keeps asking more and more until the break of dawn.” [Sunan Ibn Mâjah (1388)]

The author of al-Manâr has determined this hadîth to me not only weak, but fabricated. He says:
The truth is that this hadîth is a forgery. Its chain of transmissions contains the narrator Abû Bakr b. `Abd Allah b. Muhammad, who is better known as Ibn Abî Sabrah.

Ahmad b. Hanbal and Yahyâ b. Ma`în have both exposed him as a fabricator of hadîth.
[Also refer to: Majmû` al-Fatâwâ (5/266)]

Due to the fact that the practice of singling out the 15th of Sha`bân for fasting is not established by any sound hadîth, it is an unfounded practice. All scholars agree that weak and fabricated hadîth are not valid to establish specific acts of worship.

The only exception to this would be cases where a weak hadîth has support from numerous supporting narrations to the point where it is strengthened to the grade of being a good hadîth. In that case, it can be used for establishing an act of worship as long as its meaning is not at variance with what is stronger.

Consequently, it is an innovation in worship to single out this particular day for fasting, since any act of worship that is not established by the Sunnah is an innovation in religion.

Jâbir narrates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Every innovation is a means of going astray.” [Sahîh Muslim (867)]

This does not mean that we should avoid fasting on the 15th of Sha`bân. It is like any other day in Sha`bân and the general hadîth that encourage fasting in Sha`bân apply to it just as much as they apply to every other day of the month. What is incorrect is to have an intention to particularly single out this day for fasting.

And Allah knows best.

Ori web - Islamtoday.com

Globalpeace

Banned
“He never fasted more than in the month of Sha`bân”| Sheikh Muhammad b. Sâlih al-`Uthaymîn|

`Â’ishah tells us: “I never saw the Prophet (peace be upon him) fast an entire month except for the month of Ramadân. I never saw him fast more often in any other month than he did in Sha`bân.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1969) and Sahîh Muslim (1156)]

This hadîth establishes that it is Sunnah to fast more often in the month of Sha`bân. Sha`bân is a month that we should single out for offering extra voluntary fasts.
Fasting is Sunnah throughout the Month

She also said: “He used to observe fasts throughout the month of Sha`bân.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1970)]

She also said: “He used to fast the month of Sha`bân except for a few days of it.” [Sahîh Muslim]

Usâmah b. Zayd said:
The Prophet (peace be upon him) never fasted more frequently than he did in the month of Sha`bân.

I asked why he did so, and he told me: “This is a month that people neglect between the month of Rajab and the month of Ramadân. Yet, it is a month wherein the deeds are raised up tt the Lord of All the Worlds, and I like to have my deeds raised up while I am fasting.”
This hadîth is related in Musnad Ahmad (21735) and Sunan al-Nasâ’î (2357). Ibn Muflih says about it in al-Furû` (3/120): “It has a good chain of transmission.”
Singling Out the 15th Day of Sha`bân for Fasting

The evidence given above applies to the entire month. There are no particular days within the month of Sha`bân that are particularly recommended for fasting. There is no special virtue for fasting on the 15th day of Sha`bân.

There is a weak hadîth that reads: “When the middle night of Sha`bân arrives, observe prayer throughout that night and fast the following day, for indeed Allah descends to the lower heavens on that night at sunset and declares: ‘Is there anyone seeking forgiveness whom I can forgive? Is anyone seeking My providence whom I can provide for? Is there anyone facing difficulties whose burdens I can ease?...’ and He keeps asking more and more until the break of dawn.” [Sunan Ibn Mâjah (1388)]

The author of al-Manâr has determined this hadîth to me not only weak, but fabricated. He says:
The truth is that this hadîth is a forgery. Its chain of transmissions contains the narrator Abû Bakr b. `Abd Allah b. Muhammad, who is better known as Ibn Abî Sabrah.

Ahmad b. Hanbal and Yahyâ b. Ma`în have both exposed him as a fabricator of hadîth.
[Also refer to: Majmû` al-Fatâwâ (5/266)]

Due to the fact that the practice of singling out the 15th of Sha`bân for fasting is not established by any sound hadîth, it is an unfounded practice. All scholars agree that weak and fabricated hadîth are not valid to establish specific acts of worship.

The only exception to this would be cases where a weak hadîth has support from numerous supporting narrations to the point where it is strengthened to the grade of being a good hadîth. In that case, it can be used for establishing an act of worship as long as its meaning is not at variance with what is stronger.

Consequently, it is an innovation in worship to single out this particular day for fasting, since any act of worship that is not established by the Sunnah is an innovation in religion.

Jâbir narrates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Every innovation is a means of going astray.” [Sahîh Muslim (867)]

This does not mean that we should avoid fasting on the 15th of Sha`bân. It is like any other day in Sha`bân and the general hadîth that encourage fasting in Sha`bân apply to it just as much as they apply to every other day of the month. What is incorrect is to have an intention to particularly single out this day for fasting.

And Allah knows best.

Ori web - Islamtoday.com

Asslamo Allaikum,

We have no disagreement, Masha'Allah

dianne

:muslim_child:

its good we share a knowledge of Islam.ramadhan is coming soon.i cant wait for aidilfitri.lol

wassalam brother.