Open Letter from Sami Yusuf to Yvonne Ridley

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Asslamo Allaikum,

You are gracious for not getting offended and may Allah (SWT) reward you for your kindness.

But my dear Brother! Perhaps I am not making my point clear…

1) You have quoted www.Islam-qa.com as your source of declaring Salatul-Hajjah a bid’aa versus the brother who originally suggested it obviously believes it NOT to be so and obviously considers the opinion of others scholars who consider the Hadeeth Not to be weak (or not weak enough to be discarded!)

2) Me & the Sister have subsequently quoted www.Islam-qa.com as our source for declaring MUSIC unequivocally HARAM versus you seem to think that it’s not and it is a matter of a difference of opinion.

Do you now see why I would like to know the thought pattern behind “selective quotation” from the same web-site (same scholar)?

Jazakullah Khairun

P.S: I study social patterns amongst humans and like to analyse how people think…Sorry about that!

P.P.S: So either everyone has a right to quote/accommodate difference of opinion OR everyone should accept ALL opinions from the same scholar

Not sure what is what

:wasalam:
All the scholars believe the Hadith supporting Salat-ul-Hajat to be very weak. However, some Authentic Hadith included in the Hadith collections support music while some seem to defend it and there are some scholars defending music (either with a Daff only or all music that doesn't have a bad message).

Globalpeace said:
P.P.S: So either everyone has a right to quote/accommodate difference of opinion OR everyone should accept ALL opinions from the same scholar

Knew that was coming :D If a man tells you that you like tacos (which you may or may not) and then later tells you that you can jump off a 500 foot cliff and live, then he was right at first and wrong later.

Don't get me wrong: I still don't have a solid opinion on this matter. I've prayed to Allah asking for guidance on this issue because I'd rather be a slave to Him than a slave to myself.

But, right after I made Du'a concerning this issue, I remembered the Hadith about the Prophet Muhammad :saw: saying "The Halal is clear and the Haram is clear. Stay away from any unclear issues so as you will not fall into sin".

Oem Soufiane

NewMuslim;31145 Knew that was coming :D If a man tells you that you like tacos (which you may or may not) and then later tells you that you can jump off a 500 foot cliff and live said:
That's a fact, but since when are we the persons to make a selection between the hadits this scholar refers to. Did he? And this hadith is not just some fabricated hadith from the scholar himself, this hadith is sahih, from bukhari and muslim akhi.

assalamu aleikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuh:blackhijab:

MOSABJA

DOUBT

RASULULLAH(S.A) said "if you have boubt about any thing then remove it"
Even if music is halaal.then i would not listen to it because I have doubt and Iwant to remove it.

apocalypse77

i hate to say this but, iup till now theres still no extremely hard evidence that music is haraam. ar epeople trying to tell me listening to nasheed is wrong also?

AbuKhalid

NewMuslim, u said:" However, some Authentic Hadith included in the Hadith collections support music while some seem to defend it and there are some scholars defending music (either with a Daff only or all music that doesn't have a bad message)"

I'd like to know the reference plz. If u have provided i t already i apologise.

Next thing I wanted to point out about Sami Yusuf is as follows: I have been thru many groups of Muslims in my life ... different stages if u may say in seach of the saved sect ... and ive seen this singer appreciated mostly by muslims who do not bother to learn about Islam at all and sufees. Especially Sufees, in thier gatherings/ parties/ conferences.

Allah knows best

saima11

:salam2:

i am having problems reading this letter i cant open the page up could some1 please post letter again

jazakallah

saima11

:salam2:

dont worry about reposting letter after quiet a few attempts i opened up d page.

id like to know which schollars this advise is taken from???
ive given up on nasheeds before people like zain bhika & dauood warnsby were doing such good nasheeds without beats/drums y start doing nasheeds with all d beats

i look forward to reading brother mabsoot responce to this also i look forward to sister yvonnes reply

kayleigh

I think we can all agree, whether we think music is haram or not, that what Sami Yusuf says in his songs are great messages that everyone should hear. So I don't really see why some people (not saying its anyone here) make him out to be a bad person or a bad Muslim. It's not up to any human to question his faith. Haram or halal, I think he's a good man and he has good intentions. Whether you agree with him or not, I think he did a good job of responding to Yvonne Ridley without being harsh or attacking her.

I don't see what's wrong with loving ones country and I don't think she should have attacked him for that. Being proud to be British does not, in fact, mean you're proud of every single thing Great Britain has ever done.

Although Yusuf states that he did not witness such dancing himself doesn't mean much. I've been on stage before, and with the lights it really is impossible to see much farther back than a few rows. When you take into consideration the size of the stages Yusuf probably preforms on, with more lights and more people, it would probably be nearly impossible to just see the first row.

I haven't read Ridley's original article, so I can't really comment too much on it but from what I've heard it doesn't seem totally right of her to completely bash Yusuf. But again, until I read the article I can't really say.

What I can say is that I don't think it's totally right to place all the blame on Yusuf. He can't control the actions of others. Yes, he can try his best not to inspire people to do wrong things, but at the end of the day those girls who were dancing are responsible for their actions and can't blame it on anyone else but themselves.

This whole thing reminds me of one particular story. While I haven't been convinced 100% that music is haram, nor have I been convinced it's halal (as there are contradicting opinions and hadith on it, as it has been stated), I found this to be just absolutely ridiculous: A friend of mine attended a wedding with his sisters. The wedding and reception took place in a mosque and the men and women were separated the whole time. However, he told me that they were playing music during the reception and no one was dancing. I was amazed - even if the subject of music is iffy to some, certainly it does not belong in a mosque (especially since most think it's haram)! Then he told me something even more shocking. His sister had put on a Sami Yusuf CD and coaxed all the sisters there to start dancing. Apparently both the men and women, although segregated, were dancing to music. In a mosque! I think that's absolutely crazy even if music is halal like some argue, and I can't believe their Imam was ever OK with it.