Pakistan blocks YouTube website

br_rizwan

Slave of Almighty
Its telecommunications authority ordered internet service providers to block the site until further notice.

Reports said the content included Danish cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad that have outraged many.

But one report said a trailer for a forthcoming film by Dutch lawmaker Geert Wilders, which portrays Islam in a negative light, was behind the ban.

"They asked us to ban it immediately... and the order says the ban will continue until further notice," said Wahaj-us-Siraj, convener of the Association of Pakistan Internet Service Providers.

"Users are quite upset. They're screaming at ISPs which can't do anything.

"The government has valid reason for that, but they have to find a better way of doing it. If we continue blocking popular websites, people will stop using the internet."

Other countries that have temporarily blocked access to YouTube include Turkey and Thailand.

from bbc
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7261727.stm

===================================================
www.searchislamonline.com

summertime

sister :)
:salam2:

My family lives in pakistan and my brother told me about youtube being banned today!! I think the government seriously needs to rethink the stategies they use to combat controversy....

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Wow why don't they just ban off the bad videos? And why don't they ban the nasty and graphic (also haraam and filty) videos on Youtube either?

croatian/jewconv

slave_of_Allah
youtubes got alot of haraam on it.
I thinks there's lots of violence, nudity,zinaa, and other haraam stuff on it.
I think pakistan did a good job by banning it.
The only thing youtube is good for is qur'anic recitations
other then that most stuff is haraam

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Youtube is the worst source of information .The worst source of learning something..I agree 100% that it should be banned ..
waaleikum salam

Sauda17

Assalamu'Alaikum

I totally agree with you sister aisha... Youtube is the worst source of information along with Wikipedia and Google.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
^That'd actaully dpend on your sources. Mr. IslamAnswersBack is a good channel to go to. Some dumb Anti Islamic is a bad one, but YouTube is just a site for people to post videos, and yes, they should make a rule that videos may not allow any of the above (what the brother said).

Assalamu Alykum.

kayleigh

:salam2:

The video they banned it over is actually really bad. Like, I can take a lot without being offended, but even I thought it was bad. However, the internet is FULL of anti-Islam stuff. So why not just ban the entire internet? Banning youtube is ridiculous. There's lots of good Islamic content on there anyway.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
^Ban the whole internet and then we would'nt have the former little Ulemahs like what I used to be semi-like because of the knowledge I learned from the Internet.

Shahzad

these pakistani politicians are *removed *. They have no concerns widh islam.
I have heared that some videos of election held in pakistan , showing rigging were posted there.

Thats the reason of the ban. They are so loose-character ppl themeselves to put ban on utube for this. They have used it as a coover story to ban utube.
Why dont they ban rest of many other anti-islamic sites?

There is no use of banning utube in my opinion. Instead, they shud force danish govt. to ask forgivenss from whole muslims world, if they are very islamic. Or if they dont, attack denmark and kill all such persons.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

In all honesty, YouTube is a joke. Best way to put it, YouTube = Wasting Your precious time. Okay there is a couple of good videos/channels but its very distracting and can becoming addictive - which you don't want. One thing leads to another 100.

They have now unblocked it although a lot of Internet users don't want the Government to "police" the Internet. Its fruitless anyway to do something like this because of the uproar it creates which leads to the Government reversing its decision because of the pressure. Oh, sad times.

Walaykum Salam