Permissable to take out a loan?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:,

So we know that taking out riba-based loans is haram. However, lately I'm hearing some opinions where they state that it's not haram when it comes to funding your education. There are student loans that are usually interest free. You are given a grace period to pay them back and if you do so before the grace period is over the amount doesn't accumulate interest and you're basically in the clear. From what I know, it's okay to take out those loans provided that you'll pay them back before interest is charged on them. But what about those who won't be able to pay off the amount within the grace period?

What are the fatawa for taking out loans to pay for one's education?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

Sis Shahnazz, I recently posted a fatwa on Bro HelpingHumanity's thread about credit cards - it said that the way credit cards work is that you're fine up till a certain time frame. However, if the due date passes, you're charged interest. The Sheikh said in a way, when a person enters into a credit card agreement, he is committing himself to pay interest if he makes a mistake/ passes the due date.

Isn't this loan a similar type thing?

Here is what I got off of islamqa about loans:

My question is about bank interest(sood).
I live in england as a foreign student. here in england a bank is offering an account which allows you to overdraw up to £2500.which is free for first 4 months from the date of opening the account. if you withdraw the money after 4 months or you withdrew the money before that period and you didnt pay back the money you would be charged £1 daily no matter you withdrew £1 or £2500.there are no other charges. Does this £1 daily charge come in interest or it is legitimate as interest is always in percentage of the amount you use...
some of my friends say that it doesn't come in interest or sood as it is not the percentage of the amount you use rather it is bank services charges which is fixed whether you withdraw £1 or £2500..
if you want to know further about this bank account you can visit the website of bank. bank name is halifex and account name is switch accnount.
I am looking for your reply as I desperately need this money if it is legitimate .

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to stipulate any benefit when giving a loan, or to stipulate a penalty in the event of a delay in repayment, whether the penalty is fixed or is connected to the amount of money borrowed. And it is not permissible to take a loan if a penalty is stipulated, even if the borrower is determined to pay back on time, because entering into this contract is committing to riba and approving of it, in addition to the fact that a delay may occur, thus forcing one to pay the penalty.

It says in a statement of the Islamic Fiqh Council of the Muslim World League in Makkah, issued in their eleventh conference, statement no. 8: If the lender stipulates that the borrower has to pay a sum of money as a financial penalty of a fixed amount or a specific percentage, if there is any delay in repayment beyond the time agreed upon by both, then this is an invalid condition, and he is not required to fulfil it; indeed it is not permissible, regardless of whether the one who stipulated it was the bank or anyone else, because this in and of itself is the riba of the Jaahiliyyah that the Qur’aan forbids. End quote.

It says in a statement of the Islamic Fiqh Council about credit cards: It is not permissible to issue a credit card that is not covered or to deal with it, if it is stipulated that interest (riba) is to be paid, even if the one who requests the card is determined to pay it off within the free period.

For the full text of the statement, please see the answer to question no. 97530.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) was asked: The banks give their customers credit cards called Visa, whereby they can withdraw cash from the bank even if there no money in the account at that moment, on the basis that it will be paid back to the bank within a specific time period; if it is not repaid before the end of that period, then the bank will demand more than the customer withdrew. Please note that the customer pays an annual fee to the bank in return for using that credit card. I hope that you can explain the ruling on this credit card.

He replied:

This transaction is haraam, because the one who signs up for it is committing to pay riba if he does not pay it off within the specified time. This commitment is invalid, even if the person believes or thinks it most likely that he will pay it off before the period ends, because things may change and he may not be able to pay it off. This is something in the future, and no one knows what will happen to him in the future. Such transactions are haraam. And Allah knows best.

End quote from Majallat al-Da‘wah, issue no. 1754, p. 37

If a person borrows thousands of pounds from someone else, and he is obliged to pay one pound if he delays repayment, or that is stipulated at the time of making the contract, it is riba and is haraam.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allah have mercy on him) said: Every loan in which it is stipulated that more must be paid back is haraam, and there is no difference of opinion concerning that.

Ibn al-Mundhir said: They are unanimously agreed that if the lender stipulates that the borrower must pay back more or give a gift, and he gives the loan on that basis, the extra amount is riba. It was narrated from Ubayy ibn Ka‘b, Ibn ‘Abbaas and Ibn Mas‘ood that they forbade loans that bring benefits.

End quote from al-Mughni (6/436)

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr (may Allah have mercy on him) said: I do not know of any difference of opinion concerning the view that if it is stipulated that something extra be paid back with a loan, this is riba and is haraam, and it is not permissible to consume it.

End quote from al-Istidhkaar, 6/513

And Allah knows best.

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

Assalam Aleikum,
Sisiter Tabassum07, the question shahnazz asked is different question, is not about credit card, was about free-interest loan for fees. Jazaka'Allah Kheir

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Allah curses the one who consumes interest, the one who pays it, the one who draws up the contract, and the witnesses to the contract, then he said they are same (in sinfulness)." [Sahîh Muslim]

I know people take loans and make sure to pay on time without interest being accumulated but its better to avoid it full to be on safe side. In my knowledge the person who failed to pay and ends up paying interest would be sinning because it was already in the contract while taking the loan that if you fail to pay on time then you would be paying interest.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member

So we know that taking out riba-based loans is haram. However, lately I'm hearing some opinions where they state that it's not haram when it comes to funding your education. There are student loans that are usually interest free. You are given a grace period to pay them back and if you do so before the grace period is over the amount doesn't accumulate interest and you're basically in the clear. From what I know, it's okay to take out those loans provided that you'll pay them back before interest is charged on them. But what about those who won't be able to pay off the amount within the grace period?

1st you must be able to pay off the amount within the grace period and if you cann't don't use it because of it's not permissible as riba (interest/usury) are haraam

Having an interest-based credit card in cases of necessity

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle is that interest-based transactions are haraam and it is not permissible to engage in them. This includes the conditions mentioned in the contracts for credit cards. In some countries they rely a great deal on these credit cards, and you can hardly find anyone who does not use them. We put the following question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

Credit cards include conditions based on riba (interest/usury) – if you delay payments, they charge an extra penalty. But in the place where I live in America, I cannot rent a car or a shop or use many other services unless I have a credit card. If I do not use a credit card, I will suffer unbearable hardship. If I commit myself to make the payments within a certain time limit, so that I do not have to pay the interest charges, will this allow me to have a credit card and thus relieve some of the hardship I am facing?

The shaykh, may Allaah preserve him, answered as follows:

If the hardship he is facing is certain, and the likelihood that he will delay payments is remote, then I hope there is nothing wrong with him having the credit card.

Question:

Do the conditions relating to interest make a transaction invalid or not?

Answer:

If a contract contains an invalid condition, this does not invalidate the entire contract, for a number of reasons: (1) necessity, (2) because it does not really affect anything. The man thinks that he is going to make the payments before interest is due. Because this is more likely than the condition of having to pay interest, and because it is necessary – which is the main point – I hope that there is nothing wrong with it. We have a definite matter – necessity – and a matter which is not necessarily going to happen – which is delay in payment – and the matter that is definite takes precedence over something which may not even happen. And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

When it comes to the dunya people take precautions such as fire-alarm, vaccinations, insurance and what not. When it comes to akhira, everyone wants to walk just on the line between halal and haraam. What if the student is unable to the money back with in the grace period? There is no guarantee that the student will be able to pay it back in time. Then the student will be guilty of riba. And the gravity of sin of riba is waging war against Allah and his Messenger Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم . Why take such a risk? Look to Allah for help. Allah is the Owner of All things. Have taqwa.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

I heard one brother say once, "There is Taqwa and there is fatwa". The one who has more taqwa will take precautions and vaccinations, will not dare to wander near the borderline of haraam and halal. Rather will even leave of anything halal near the borderline, to stay well within the boundary.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

When it comes to the dunya people take precautions such as fire-alarm, vaccinations, insurance and what not. When it comes to akhira, everyone wants to walk just on the line between halal and haraam. What if the student is unable to the money back with in the grace period? There is no guarantee that the student will be able to pay it back in time. Then the student will be guilty of riba. And the gravity of sin of riba is waging war against Allah and his Messenger Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم . Why take such a risk? Look to Allah for help. Allah is the Owner of All things. Have taqwa.

mashallah well said!

helpinghumanity

Wa-alaikumus salam wa rahmatullah,

Sister we should be clear in our head's that when it comes to interest, there shouldn't be any "IF's, BUT's, can't, why etc". Interest remains interest no matter what shape we give it. No matter how we use it.

Regarding the student loans, from my understanding, the student loans provided by the colleges are interest free if we commit to pay them within mentioned time (say like a semester). There is nothing wrong in getting those as long as you can pay them on time.

But If you can't pay them on time then, interest will be charged. And you are smart enough to figure the consequences.

Good idea will be to ask you friend for help for financial assistance..

btw are you planning to do your master's or what? If that's the case then i know where you are standing. I think we being muslim's somehow have to provide a solution to it.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Assalam Aleikum,
Sisiter Tabassum07, the question shahnazz asked is different question, is not about credit card, was about free-interest loan for fees. Jazaka'Allah Kheir

Yes, thanks for pointing that out, but I was drawing a corollary (analogy) between credit cards and this loan the sis mentioned - given that both work on similar principles.

I remember bro shaheerpak was looking for shariah based loans a couple years back, and there were a few sites he'd found which provided them. There are probably shariah compliant loans in the US, especially in NYC..

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
JazakAllah khair. I already knew the above but it was worth a shot lol

btw are you planning to do your master's or what?

Yup.

There are probably shariah compliant loans in the US, especially in NYC..

Yeah, uh NO lol. One would think that despite having such a large Muslim population there would be factors accommodating everyone but alas, our community is too busy bickering amongst each other and complaining about the rest of the world to notice the lack of resources in their own backyard...

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

It is actually not lack of resource but the unfair distribution of it. The gulf shaikhs waste so much wealth which is very much visible to everyone. And so does many many billionaire and millionaire muslims. It is as the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم said, the ummah will be like the foam of the sea. Many in numbers and in wealth but of no use, because the dunya is in their heart and not the akhira.

twas19

As salam alaykum,

I have a question please.If we are living in state that manages financial issues in such way that you need to pay interest and have to receive interest, aren't we bound to follow those rules.Because we cannot do anything about it its our government who has made such a system although if they promote islamic banking in a proper way than ofcourse we shouldn't compromise to the other system.What would would you like to comment my brothers and sisters ?

walaykum salam

islamdonlyway

walikumsalam, i want to ask this BIG question to the posters...

majority of the muslims in the UK take out loans wich have little amount of intrest, they use it for university etc, i want to ask a question that if they do not take that loan then how will they STUDY? should 90% of muslims hear be illiterate? becouse nearly all of my mates have taken loans wich include small amount of riba, alhumdilillah im greatfull to allah that i didnt need to take a loan, but i worry for those who toke it,but they have no other choice? and i heard on a talk from a populer sheikh that its allowed for education purposes...cannot remember when or wich sheikh sorry....its just impossible to study at higher education in the UK for majority of those bros and sis who cannot afford it, unless they take a loan out. and the fees are just going higher down hear, by next year its going to double !

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

:wasalam:

Sister, this question is for the people of fatwah who are conversant with the banking system in the US and the lack of options for muslims to obtain interest free loans. There might be a relaxation in the general ruling due to someone's personal circumstance.

Therefore, it is best that you seek an appointment with a Islamic scholar and explain to him in detail about your circumstances and the details of the various student loans that you can avail. After reading through the policies and rules of the student loan(s), the scholar would be able to inform you about it's permissibility or impermissibility.

If you are having a hard time getting in contact with a scholar, please do let us know. InshaAllah we will try to get you in touch with someone over the internet.

JazakiAllahu Khayran.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

twas19

As salam alaykum,

I have a question please.If we are living in state that manages financial issues in such way that you need to pay interest and have to receive interest, aren't we bound to follow those rules.Because we cannot do anything about it its our government who has made such a system although if they promote islamic banking in a proper way than ofcourse we shouldn't compromise to the other system.What would would you like to comment my brothers and sisters ?

walaykum salam

can someone answer my above question

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
As salam alaykum,

walaykum salam

Are you talking about the banking procedure of how we receive interest from the banks? I know that many people ask the bank to not give them interest, or they open up checking accounts rather than savings or money market accounts (since most checking accts do not accrue interest.) If however, you still do get interest from your bank, you will need to give away that money as charity without hoping that you will get any benefit from it - as you are giving away something that is not truly yours.

Riba is forbidden to us, so we have to do our best to stay away from it - don't worry, it's not that difficult.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

In the UK you can take a loan out from the local education authority that claim its 0% interest, it doesn't give a grace period for its loans, you start repaying student loans when you earn over £15,000 a year, then a small payment every month gets deducted. You pay the amount that was loaned to you. Also if you are unfit for work or you die then your loan gets cancelled.

I don't know, I personally don't see the problem with this interest-free loan and it has provided many students with higher education. Bearing in mind the Shariah does emphasise that giving a loan is an act of worship and here you are doing good to those that need it. And the prophet (PBUH) did say that whoever gives a loan to his Muslim brother then his own wealth will flourish.
:wasalam::hijabi:

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

Sister, this question is for the people of fatwah who are conversant with the banking system in the US and the lack of options for muslims to obtain interest free loans. There might be a relaxation in the general ruling due to someone's personal circumstance.

Therefore, it is best that you seek an appointment with a Islamic scholar and explain to him in detail about your circumstances and the details of the various student loans that you can avail. After reading through the policies and rules of the student loan(s), the scholar would be able to inform you about it's permissibility or impermissibility.

If you are having a hard time getting in contact with a scholar, please do let us know. InshaAllah we will try to get you in touch with someone over the internet.

JazakiAllahu Khayran.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

JazakAllah khair akhi. I'd appreciate getting in touch with a shaykh over the internet if you could provide me with the contact info.

Abu Ameerah

This issue separates mere Muslims and Pure Muslims (Mattaqun). A Muttaqun always fear Allah and will refrain from any doubtful matters such as the above question. a mere Muslim will always find excuses in order to justify his actions. May Allah guide us all and make us as MUTTAQUN...GOD FEARING MUSLIMS...