pictures on facebook Allowed or not???

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
:salam2:

I hope this reaches you in the BEST of health/imaan:)

BismiAllah Ar-rahman Ar-raheem

I just have a question that came to my mind last night, if anyone has facebook,or anyother social network (especially sisters). Is it allowed for us to put our pictures there??? even if we are wearing Hijab, just so people recognize u?? I am wondering this because I currently have facebook and I have NO pictures except pictures I got from google of Islam and NIQABI sisters, I dont want to confusse people and I dont want them to think I am NIQABI when In real life IAM NOT(I wish I were). so, please tell me if it's allowed or not inshaAllah ta'ala.
May Allah help us all.Ameen

Allah hafiz NOW and ALWAYS:):hearts:
:wasalam::hearts::hearts:

mhamzah

The first question is that whether Facebook and other such social networking sites allowed or not. I am sure some one would comment on that.

Jazakallah Khair for your question,

:wasalam:

yellowFlower

TRUST in Allah [SWT]
walaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh, dear sister.

Praise be to Allaah.

Undoubtedly making images of everything that has a soul is haraam, indeed it is a major sin, because of the stern warning against that narrated in the texts of the Sunnah; and because it is imitating Allaah in His creation of living things; and because it is a means that leads to temptation (fitnah) and that often leads to shirk. The one who takes the picture, the one who tells him to do it and those who help him to do it are all guilty of sin, because they are cooperating in sin, which Allaah has forbidden when He said:

“but do not help one another in sin and transgression”

[al-Maa’idah 5:2]

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (Fatwas of the Standing Committee), 1/454
According to another fatwa issued by the Standing Committee (1/458):

It is not permissible to make pictures of animate beings using cameras or any other kind of image-making equipment, or to keep pictures of animate beings except in cases of necessity, such as pictures in identity documents or passports; it is permissible to take and keep such pictures because there is a need for that.

source: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/22660/picture soul

and as for if the social networking is allowed or not, i think it is okay as long as there are no stranger nonmahrams joining in your networks? besides, it is the best to set the option to have your profile as private instead of public.

in'sha'Allah, someone else will answer this better.

salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
JazakaAllah khairan

AstaqfuruAllah! I have trangressed! astaqfuruAllah! jazakaAllah khairan for this:)
so, are thos pictures I got from google HARAAM too? should I take them out as well???
jazakaAllah khairan:)

yellowFlower

TRUST in Allah [SWT]
assalamu alaikum.

i'm not really sure. :O i asked someone regarding this if it is okay to use the pictures off the internet since we are not the ones that took those pictures and he wasn't certain, but i think it comes under the same ruling. once again, i'm not really sure, hehe. somebody please answer this. =D

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
JazakaAllah khairan:)

InshaAllah I will wait what my other brothers and sisters say about that:)

Allah hafiz NOW and ALWAYS:D

OsMaN_93

Here to help

[yt]ci3B92yAllY[/yt]

This is interresting, watched bits of it.
BUT I do use facebook occasionaly (very little), just so I don't look hypocrytical :) You conclude your decision after watching.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
I don't think any of the social network itself is bad. Infact it is the way you use it. For example as in this forum, sisters and brothers are talking to each other, but islamically as "covered" to the man. And this was prooved even though we talk, we cannot see each other, neither we can hear the voice, its just what we write which benefit all of us. Nomatter what we call the kaafir people will open all those networks and I say better USE those also to spread islam. GET INTO all the networks and try spreading islam. Just becaue someone use it bad does not mean it itself is bad, there are sisters I know who does not even sent a msg on facebook to the male friends but use it. I myslef do not sent any unnecesarry msgs except a hello, how r u.
So if you say that is haram then I can say Internet is haram. There are millions who use it,(more people use internet for only doing wrong) to date people, and do all eveil things,..i think no need to add things to this list as you all know how much internet is flooded with these.
But also on the otherhand, it is through this network the sheiks and imams are spreading islam through this high speed today and making everyone aware of islam. Now qur'an and other books with translation, fatawa, lectures, forums and all are available here. So I say "its just the way you use it, that makes a thing haram"..for example my laptop can be used to do what ever evil I want,watch music and films, but I do not watch films or listen to music, I use internet which is flooded with all those things but not the bad sites, I use facebook but never have gone to the dating,friendfinding etc...
But I have my old friends who leave me msgs there and we can keepin touch that way, its not like you go there everyday.
hmm...I think I made my point clear as water...lol.
so that is just the way I think....and I don't see why the facebook groups which sent all the islamic informations and making people aware of dheen is doing any haram by being there.

Abdulhalim

Pictures on Facebook

I second the motion... We Muslims can use FACEBOOK to spread Islam... I have an account too and I had linked some of Lectures delivered by Shaikh, Khalid Yassin, Yousef Estes and Yusha... One day my friends who are non-muslims will open it and listen to those lectures.. who knows, their hearts might open and start studying about Islam!

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu Alaikum:)
I agree with Abdulhalim & Prosperous, I usually use it for the purpose of Islam and spreading the knowledge I get from here. I actually have islamic links like brother Abdulhalim and that is why I signed up for it in the first place. It's just that I was wondering about the pictures and AlhamduliAllah I dont have any NOW and I wont. JazakaAllah khairan to brother Osman for the Video, I have made up my mind about the pictures. yea it depends on how you use it and AlhamduliAllah most of my friends are constantly reminding me about Islam and are PRACTICING. AlhamduliAllah, it's ONE of the positive things that Facebook has. JazakaAllah khairan brothers and sisters:)

Allah hafiz NOW and ALWAYS:D

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Wa'alaykum as-salaam warahmatulaah,

So really two questions are being asked here (as mentioned above); are pictures of humans/animals permissible, and is facebook ok for the Muslim to use?

From what I know, the strongest answer for the first question is no, and as for the second it needs explanation - the answer will change depending on the person, the reason behind having it and the amount of usage (of the account).

As for pictures:

Q: Some people say taking pictures and keeping them at home is haraam, is this true?. Because in N. America and Europe for example we heard every day a missing children and with out their recent picture it is difficult to trace them, so could you explain to me what kind of pictures is haraam and what kind is not haraam, because I like to take pictures from my children just for memory and I keep them at home, am I commiting a sin, please specify for me and give me some daliil.

A: Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle concerning making pictures of any animate being, whether it is a human or any animal, is that it is haraam, whether the pictures are three-dimensional or are drawn on paper, cloth or walls, etc., or are photographs (taken with a camera), because of the reports in the saheeh ahaadeeth which state that that is not allowed, and threaten the one who does that with a painful torment, and because they may lead to shirk in the form of standing respectfully before them, humbling oneself before them, drawing close to them and venerating them in a manner that is only befitting for Allaah. They are also forbidden because this is a kind of trying to match the creation of Allaah, and because of the temptation inherent in some of them, such as pictures of actresses and naked women, and so-called beauty queens.

Among the ahaadeeth which state that this is haraam and that it is a major sin is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said, “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘Whoever makes an image in this world will be told to breathe the soul into it on the Day of Resurrection, and he will never be able to do that.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). He [Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him)] also narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and every image that he made will be made to appear to him and will torment him in Hell.” Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “If you must do that, then make trees and things that have no soul.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The general meaning of the ahaadeeth is that it is absolutely forbidden to make images of anything that has a soul.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/456-457

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said, when he was asked about pictures: making pictures for this purpose is haraam and is not permitted. That is because making pictures for memories is haraam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “The angels do not enter any house in which there is an image,” (narrated by al-Bukhaari, Bid’ al-Khalq, 2986), and whatever the angels do not enter had no goodness in it.

Fataawa Manaar al-Islam, 3/759

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

(Source: Islamqa.com)