*Please help me*

q8penpals

Assalam Aliekum, Believer

I have read your initial post and the follow-up posts before posting because I wanted to think about it completely and totally.

I am going to respond completely on my own and not comment on what other people posted.

I feel for you. I am an American living outside the US and have traveled quite extensively. I feel the situation you have been coerced into is a result of CULTURE and not of Islam. I know many, MANY women who are unhappily married to men not specifically of their choosing that they agreed to marry to make their family happy. I also know some women who married and are content with the husband that they did not necessarily choose for themselves but agreed to marry.

I think that the pressure your family put on you tainted your YES reply to whether you would marry him, and given the fact that you state in your original post that you thought you were just agreeing to an engagement at that time, leads me to believe there was something a little sneaky going on. Again, this is my personal thought, which may be wrong, but I liken it to being conned.

I feel that if you said yes under pressure from your family (which from what I have seen in my experiences = either say yes or you will dishonor the family/be disowned), I feel that is almost the same as being forced. You said no no no no no for a month before saying yes. I feel you were emotionally raped by your family - they did not respect your right to marry someone you approved of but kept pressuring, pressuring, pressuring.

You do have a couple of choices, as other posters stated: 1. stick it out and see how it works (although, personally, I would advise not having a child until you are sure you are okay with it - and I know someone is going to flame me for that comment); 2. divorce and deal with your family.

I personally also would not go sign citizenship paper applications for him unless you are sure you would want to stay married to him (and give this some time, because unfortunately, there is a misguided group of men and around the world of all religions that see nothing wrong with using people). There is nothing I know of in Islam that says you are required to get your husband citizenship in a different country. If he has a problem with waiting or you not signing for him, well, that would say something, wouldn't it? If he says that it is no problem, well, then that would say something as well. My non-American husband has the right to apply for US Citizenship and we have been married almost 4 years, and he isn't even interested in becoming an American (as a matter of fact, I only have a 1.5 year wait until I get my Kuwaiti citizenship).

Honestly, I think you made a mistake saying yes if you really didn't want to. BUT, we are ALL HUMAN, and we all MAKE MISTAKES. That doesn't mean you should have to pay for your mistake forever.

If I were in your situation right now, this is what I would do. Meet the man; tell him that you are uneasy with the marriage; tell him you won't consummate the marriage until you are comfortable (but give a timetable - "I will try this for a month; if by the end of September, I have not become comfortable as you wife, then I will return any mahr and want a divorce."); tell him you are sorry that he has been put into the situation as well, but there was pressure from your family, which is why you want to get to know him a bit before making a decision to divorce; and ask for his forgiveness that this may cause him discomfort, and ask God for guidance.

Then do exactly that if you decide to stay with him - work with him, see what kind of husband he would be, and don't just give in - if he gets mean or violent with regards to any considerations you ask of him, that is a sign. My husband and I were just apart for 6 weeks (I spent my summer holiday with my parents and he wasn't able to come this year) and my husband did not feel the need to find another woman or be mean to me about it.

I don't know if my response is considered "Islamically-correct" but I haven't been Muslim for all that long, and I have been a very smart, practical person all my life, so that is the angle I am coming from.

I hope the situation works out for you, whatever you choose.

Lana

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:salam2: my dear sister!

I could write pages & pages about this but the best and simplest solution is: DU'A DU'A & DU'A! :tti_sister:

Sometimes we forget that Allah is THE ONLY ONE able to help us!!!

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Asalam alaikum everyone!
I am a new user here and would like to introduce an issue I am having trouble with:

On August 16th 2004, I was "forced" into a marriage (I was 19). It wasn't totally forced, actually. I was in Pakistan because my brother got married and while I was there, my sister-in-laws mother asked me if I wanted to marry one of her sons. I obviously refused but she, plus the other house residents kept talking to me for the entire month I was there. (You won't believe how much I missed England!) To cut a long story short, she got her own way as I was under so much pressure, and I was "married" the night my flight was due back to London. I didn't spend any time with him at all. I thought it wasn't even a marriage, but an engagement, which is partly why I went through with it, cos I thought I could break it up any day.
But now it seems to be going on and he has applied for a visa to come here. He got the visa and he'll be here Monday August 20th.. I am so scared! My parents disagree with me and I'm scare of my dad so much. 2 1/2 years of my life have gone to waste study-wise and I am actually just a depressed girl and feel like nobody would even notice if I was to disappear.

Thanks for reading this. What are your views on arranged/unhappy marriages? what should i do?? I pray to Allah for Him to help me!

:tti_sister:

AssalaamuAlaikum,

Sister,

Would you please elaborate what kind of living you like and what kind of contrast it has with respect to the living style of your recent husband?

What is that you dont like in him that you are so horrified? If your parents are happy in this marriage then what reasons they give in advocacy of this marriage? and what reasons you have not to marry?

If the only reason is your study, then you can even decide not to have children for some time and can carry your study.

There are two shortcomings in your question.

1- You did not clarify all reasonlings.
2- You asked this question when your husband is not only applying for visa but he is arriving any hour.

Wassalaaam

Believer1985

Salam to you
Thanks to the last few people who posted.
Sister Mirajmom, I have decided not to read any of your posts since they are unhelpful and a waste of time on YOUR part. May the Lord help you with your problem of being uncouth to others.

I will keep you updated. His flight lands at 6pm tonight, UK time. I am scared, but I will make dua and I leave this with our Almighty as He is the All Knowing.
Salam

Globalpeace

Banned
Way Forward?

Asalam alaikum everyone!
I am a new user here and would like to introduce an issue I am having trouble with:

On August 16th 2004, I was "forced" into a marriage (I was 19). It wasn't totally forced, actually. I was in Pakistan because my brother got married and while I was there, my sister-in-laws mother asked me if I wanted to marry one of her sons. I obviously refused but she, plus the other house residents kept talking to me for the entire month I was there. (You won't believe how much I missed England!) To cut a long story short, she got her own way as I was under so much pressure, and I was "married" the night my flight was due back to London. I didn't spend any time with him at all. I thought it wasn't even a marriage, but an engagement, which is partly why I went through with it, cos I thought I could break it up any day.
But now it seems to be going on and he has applied for a visa to come here. He got the visa and he'll be here Monday August 20th.. I am so scared! My parents disagree with me and I'm scare of my dad so much. 2 1/2 years of my life have gone to waste study-wise and I am actually just a depressed girl and feel like nobody would even notice if I was to disappear.

Thanks for reading this. What are your views on arranged/unhappy marriages? what should i do?? I pray to Allah for Him to help me!

:tti_sister:

Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

Your situation is unfortunate, however not unique and we have to deal with these issues.

Sister in Islam, we feel for you and remember you in our duas.

I believe at the end of the day its your decision as to what you want to do at this point; when you have decided and IF you require assistance in getting in touch with Islamic organisation which can assist you in this difficult time, please PM or e-mail (you will find it in my public profile).

You think to think it all through with a cool, calm & calculated manner.
Br VirtualEye has raised some good points.

What happened in Pakistan is water under the bridge, you have to decide about what to do HERE & NOW!

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Salam to you
Thanks to the last few people who posted.
Sister Mirajmom, I have decided not to read any of your posts since they are unhelpful and a waste of time on YOUR part. May the Lord help you with your problem of being uncouth to others.

I will keep you updated. His flight lands at 6pm tonight, UK time. I am scared, but I will make dua and I leave this with our Almighty as He is the All Knowing.
Salam

AssalaamuAlaikum,

Please dont take Sister Mirajmom in bad intentions. She is showing her sisterly anger for your so much delayed regrets. I understand that she is a bit negative in advising you, but her intentions are not bad, please remember.
You came to this forum very very late. I wonder what you were doing before.

I would request Sister Mirajmom to help the person who lacks the power of decision, instead of criticizing such a person and telling him/her that he/she is disabled etc.

Wassalaaam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Brother I did not critize this young woman. I told her not to use her disability as an excuse. That is not fair to all those who happen to have a disability. This young woman used the excuse of having a disability for not being honest.
I was not negative. I was real and honest.
I will refrain in the future. I am never rude; I am not the negative one. I am not the one who put myself into a situation by not being honest.

galadari

assalamualykum,

dear sister,

well marriage is sth wher u have to live wid a person for ever, so thers no chance of making a wrong deciison.therefore, siister if you are really not sure about him even if you have are married to him already, i think either u need to give dat person a chance or speak to your parents about saying dat ur not interested in him, n ask them to advise you what eva they think is right. cos if you really dnt wanna stay wid him, u n ur husband neither of you will be benefited and infact it will turn ur marriage into a nightmare. but i think u shud be generous and try give him a chance cos u really dnt know how is he, so u neva know he might be the person u have dreamed of.........
jazak allah..........

falomar

People has feelings....

I can not say too much 'cause I don't know much about Muslims traditions.....But I can say...that you should not marry a person whom you don't love....Yes,..maybe you can learn to love your husband as the time pass by....but who can assure you that...

I feel pity for you 'cause you seem to not have a way out....but I also feel pity with the guy because maybe he feels so happy and you are going to hurt his feelings....,yes...he has feeling too.

That's why these things should not happen....

But I'll give you a hint:

If you tell this guy about how you feel and he accept a divorce....Girl...you should marry him...'cause he has proved to you he's a man full of understanding...

falomar

People has feelings....

I can not say too much 'cause I don't know much about Muslims traditions.....But I can say...that you should not marry a person whom you don't love....Yes,..maybe you can learn to love your husband as the time pass by....but who can assure you that...

I feel pity for you 'cause you seem to not have a way out....but I also feel pity with the guy because maybe he feels so happy and you are going to hurt his feelings....,yes...he has feeling too.

That's why these things should not happen....

But I'll give you a hint:

If you tell this guy about how you feel and he accept a divorce....Girl...you should marry him...'cause he has proved to you he's a man full of understanding...

P.S.....of course...telling him the true will not be good news for him,...so don't expect him to be happy.....Be patience with him and wait to see what's going to happen....

najbc

Assalam

Sis, I pray for you but it really does not matter what I and anyone write, what matters is what you do. All I have to say is, do you want to live unhappy for ever and regrets and what if’s. Do what your hearts believe, I am sure your parents will eventually accept your decision and respect and of course that will they sometime. But it is your life, do what you want with, make your own mistakes and correct on your own that is life sis. I deeply hope everything works out for you. fellow your heart.

:tti_sister: :tti_sister: