please help!!! Q regardin salah!!!!

-x-AiYsHa-x-

assalaamualaykum my brothers and sisters :hijabi:

how are you all today? i hope you all are iin good health insha'allah... I have a question to ask its rearding salah!... Are you allowed to have your eyes closed whilst performing your salah in the sense of you concenrating more and like feel closer to Allah if yyou get me? Is that allowed or is that not? Because I feel that I can feel a high sense of spirituality and more at peace if I perform my salah concentrating sincerely with my eyes closed? Please tell me if that is allowed or not... Because I have been meaning to ask for some time... Thank you my brothers and sisters... hope you are enjoying this beauitful community here on TTI because I am alhamdulilahhh... :D

take care hope to hear from all of you very soon inshallah... =)

x:shake:

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Question:
What is the ruling on closing the eyes when praying?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The scholars are agreed that it is makrooh to close the eyes for no reason when praying. The author of al-Rawd stated that it is makrooh because this is what the Jews do. (al-Rawd al-Murabba’, 1/95). The authors of Manaar al-Sabeel and al-Kaafi stated likewise, and added that it looks as if the person is asleep. (Manaar al-Sabeel, 1/66; al-Kaafi, 1/285). The author of al-Iqnaa’ stated that it is makrooh unless there is a reason for doing so, such as fear of seeing something one should not be looking at whilst praying, such as seeing one’s concubine or wife, or a non-mahram woman, naked. (al-Iqnaa’, 1/127; al-Mughni, 2/30). The author of al-Mughni said likewise.

The author of Tuhfat al-Mulook said that it is makrooh without discussing the ruling when there is a need to do it. (Tuhfat al-Mulook, 1/84). Al-Kaasaani said: it is makrooh because it goes against the Sunnah, which is to focus the gaze on the place of prostration, and because all of a person’s faculties have a role to play in worship, including the eyes. (Badaa’i’ al-Sanaa’i’, 1/503). The author of Maraaqi al-Falaah stated that it is makrooh unless done for a purpose. He said, closing the eyes may be preferable to looking in some cases (Maraaqi al-Falaah, 1/343).

Imaam al-‘Izz ibn ‘Abd al-Salaam said in his fatwas that it is permissible when necessary, if that helps the worshipper to focus more fully on his prayer. Ibn al-Qayyim said in Zaad al-Ma’aad that if a man can focus more fully on his prayer by opening his eyes, then it is better to do so. If he can focus more fully by closing his eyes because there are things that may distract him from his prayer, such as adornments and decorations, then it is not makrooh at all and the view that in this case it is mustahabb for him to close his eyes is closer to the aims and principles of sharee’ah than saying that it is makrooh. (Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/283).

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

-x-AiYsHa-x-

" Imaam al-‘Izz ibn ‘Abd al-Salaam said in his fatwas that it is permissible when necessary, if that helps the worshipper to focus more fully on his prayer. Ibn al-Qayyim said in Zaad al-Ma’aad that if a man can focus more fully on his prayer by opening his eyes, then it is better to do so."

jazakhalla khairun.. dat is al i needed to know... better knowing the ruling on closing eyes durin prayer than not.. i feel can concentrate so much betterrr alhamdulilah wen hav eyes closed...so it is permissible right?

MUHAMM7D

Muslim
Question

Is it permissible to close eyes while performing Salah (prayer) with the intention to concentrate and focus towards Salah?

Answer

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Thank you for your question.

It is very important to note that every Muslim should ward off any thoughts that prevent him from concentrating in prayer. This includes being away from sources of noise, pictures and images that may distract one’s eyes from concentration.

Some scholars maintain that closing the eyes is disliked while others hold that it is not disliked. Ibn Al-Qayyem states: “If opening the eyes does not make the person distracted from his prayer, then there is no harm in opening them. However, if one attains submissiveness and humbleness when closing his eyes, then it is recommended to close them, for this enables the person to gain the main aim of prayer.”

Based on this, if you feel that when you close your eyes you concentrate more in Prayer, then there is no harm in closing them.

You can read:

How to Maintain Concentration in Prayer

Allah Almighty knows best.

source ; IslamOnline

-x-AiYsHa-x-

yes.. thank you so much... 4 gaining me with this knowledge... I've been wanting to ask this question for so long and am glad its permissible.. as i find that i pray salah much better with much more concentration.. thank you.. allah hafiz.. =)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
assalaamualaykum my brothers and sisters :hijabi:

how are you all today? i hope you all are iin good health insha'allah... I have a question to ask its rearding salah!... Are you allowed to have your eyes closed whilst performing your salah in the sense of you concenrating more and like feel closer to Allah if yyou get me? Is that allowed or is that not? Because I feel that I can feel a high sense of spirituality and more at peace if I perform my salah concentrating sincerely with my eyes closed? Please tell me if that is allowed or not... Because I have been meaning to ask for some time... Thank you my brothers and sisters... hope you are enjoying this beauitful community here on TTI because I am alhamdulilahhh... :D

take care hope to hear from all of you very soon inshallah... =)

x:shake:

:salam2:

i actually asked the same exact question about a week ago..and nobody bothered to answer...

but i share the same thing with you

as soon as i close my eyes..i just get goose-bumps because i immediately focus on what i am saying and doing..and most importantly *who* i'm saying it for which is Allah (swt)..

and my kushu'u increases a whole whole lot!

so sister you did yourself and myself a favor by making the question formal in a thread..

jazaki (and all those who answered) allah kol khair..

:wasalam:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

for the most part i keep my eyes open facing downwards on the spot where i'll be placing my head. but there are times when i find myself in the need of closing my eyes due to distraction.

:wasalam:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
yes.. thank you so much... 4 gaining me with this knowledge... I've been wanting to ask this question for so long and am glad its permissible.. as i find that i pray salah much better with much more concentration.. thank you.. allah hafiz.. =)

Assalamualaikum

Sister plz dont hesitate to ask. Dont think twice whether to ask or not. Remember ask those who know. At most wait before the next prayer or once you surf TTI.

-x-AiYsHa-x-

yes.. thank you so much my brothers and sisters!!! and am glad this question is answered... as others have able to gained more knowledge on the subject matter...

dianne

Salam,
i used to close my eyes when i performing solat,i feel more concerntrate doing it.:)

Wassalam