Sisters Plucking/threading/waxing eyebrows

NatalieSiddiqui_334

I just read that the removal of the eyebrow hair for a woman is haram. What if my husband does not like how I look when my eyebrows get bushy? He takes me to get them threaded so that I am in his best liking. I am suppose to please my husband when he looks at me and if I do not get my eyebrows fixed he is not pleased. Is it still haram if I am doing it to please my husband? Also my husband is gone for a month in Pakistan and I am not going to get my eyebrows done until the day before he comes back. So my questions is, is removal of eyebrow hairs haram still even if it is to please my husband?

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

Your husband should be with you because of you and how strong is your emaan, not what you look like and what your eyebrows look like.

:rolleyes:

Few hair here or there shouldn´t be big problem in marriage.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
"I just read that the removal of the eyebrow hair for a woman is haram."

Obedience to Allah comes first. The Prophet S said: "People are stupid enough to dislike what their Prophet has brought them, preferring someone else to their own Prophet or another book to their book." So it was revealed, "Or is it not enough for them that We sent down the Book on them which is recited to them?" [Al-Qur'an 29:51] [Abu Dawud, ad-Darimi, Ibn Jarir and others]

"What if my husband does not like how I look when my eyebrows get bushy? He takes me to get them threaded so that I am in his best liking."

He actually takes you to get them threaded, this sounds very forceful and strange. Surely he should love you as you are, and respect the choices you make about your own body.

"I am suppose to please my husband when he looks at me and if I do not get my eyebrows fixed he is not pleased. Is it still haram if I am doing it to please my husband?"

Yes, because obedience to Allah comes first. He should be listening to you and your wishes, especially as you are doing these actions out of love for Islam. Have patience and explain to him why you will not do as he asks, and also let him know that he too is sinful if he is making you do these actions which are forbidden in Islam. Would he tell you to drink alcohol, remove hijab or anything else forbidden in Islam? Likewise, he should not be telling you to wax your eyebrows.

NatalieSiddiqui_334

I am a convert and my husband does love me for my emaan. But it is in hadith that when our husbands look at us we should please him. He likes how I look when I get my eyebrows done.

NatalieSiddiqui_334

He is not forcing me to do anything. First and foremost he would never tell me to remove hijab or drink alcohol. And I would look manly if I didnt get my hair removed by the bone structure in my face and women are not suppose to resemble men.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Sister you are a woman, you have different features from men no matter how bushy or big your eyebrows get. I think maybe you're just not used to it not being waxed or threaded. I used to have the same issue long time ago. I thought my eyebrows were horrible looking and bushy when I didnt wax them. I literally used to hate going outside with my eyebrows undone. But alhamdulilah slowely but surely I let go of that bad habit when I found out it was not allowed in Islam. Now I love my eyesbrows just the they are. I just had to get used to not waxing which was very very very difficult in the begining.

If it's haraam it's haraam. No obiedience to anyone else if you are disobeying The Creator. You and your husband both have to try to get used to your new eyebrows whether bushy or not;)

May Allah make the transition easy for you, amin.

NatalieSiddiqui_334

I am just asking if it is haram to remove hair from my brow to please my husband? I am a convert from last june, my husband and I have been married for over 3 years. this hadith says

-an-Nasa’i narrated that the Prophet PBUH was asked, “Who are the best of women?” HE said, “The one who pleases him (her husband) if he looks at her, obeys him if he orders (her) and does not subject her honor or money to what he dislikes.”

So if my husband dislikes how I look with a unibrow is it still haram to remove the hair. This is what I am asking.

Um Ibrahim

Sister Natalie, i understand you are trying to please your husband but changing your eyebrows in anyway is wrong and not permissable in Islam. There is a hadith in which the Prophet has cursed those pluck their brows and even the ones who do the plucking. but i heard that if u have a unibrow that you can get rid of the hair between the eyes as that is not part of the brows.

So dear sister you cannot please your husband with something that displeases Allah so much so that you will get cursed By Him.

You can easily google specific hadiths abouf this topic.

In the mean time here is an article to givr u more info: http://www.farhathashmi.com/articles-section/belief-and-introspection/plucking-eyebrows/

I hope that helps, again may Allah lead all of us that which is most pleasing to Him. Amin.

John Smith

Only last night did I have an argument with my wife if threading/ plucking her eyebrows.

She has beautiful eyebrows but for some daft reason she had them threaded to a thin line which In turn made me comment that she looked like a complete idiot.

I can tolerate tidying up the hair line but to go to extreme lengths is ridiculous.

Evelin

Allah created us; Allah knows best.
I am thankful for islam. It teaches us to be to be clean and neat. No longer under the unnecessary pressure and "pain" (example; plucking the eyebrows, I have enough aches and pains as it is) of beautifying self that was not approved by Allah and His Messenger.

Um Ibrahim

Only last night did I have an argument with my wife if threading/ plucking her eyebrows.

She has beautiful eyebrows but for some daft reason she had them threaded to a thin line which In turn made me comment that she looked like a complete idiot.

I can tolerate tidying up the hair line but to go to extreme lengths is ridiculous.

You can blame the 'fashion trends' I guess. One month thin are eyebrows are in, the next bushy/thick ones...those fashion trends are ridiculous! I dont know how women keep up with them tbh.

It's good that you like your wife's natural eyebrows, you should tell her more often so she can feel more confident and happy about them! MashaaAllah.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum sister @NatalieSiddiqui_334,

Mashallah it's great news to hear you reverted to Islam! Alhamdulillah!!

All the brothers and sisters have given you great advices mashallah and please don't worry if you feel confused because you are learning Islam as a religion and also a way of life inshallah. Things will be clearer to you slowly and remember that we are all here to help you with any doubt you might have.

Re plucking eyebrows, I've found this fatwa: http://islamqa.info/en/21119

Have a look at it and maybe read it together with your husband inshallah but remember to use your best manners when speaking to him about it and also choose the right time to talk about it, inshallah.

Hope everything will be clear inshallah

Jazakillahu khayran

Somayah_963

I am just asking if it is haram to remove hair from my brow to please my husband? I am a convert from last june, my husband and I have been married for over 3 years. this hadith says

-an-Nasa’i narrated that the Prophet PBUH was asked, “Who are the best of women?” HE said, “The one who pleases him (her husband) if he looks at her, obeys him if he orders (her) and does not subject her honor or money to what he dislikes.”

So if my husband dislikes how I look with a unibrow is it still haram to remove the hair. This is what I am asking.

Salam Natalie, why don't you ask your husband what he thinks you should do? I personally use to pluck my eyebrows and the moment I heard that allah sobhana wo tala and his angels (yi lan) Curse us for doing so I have stopped. I rather it look ridiculous then be cursed. having said that I agree with beautifying oneself for their partners. therefore speak to your husband see what he says should he say I prefer you to pluck then its on him to take that responsibility and for you to be doing what your husband wants. fyi plucking the middle part whereby both eyebrows connect is permissible to remove in order to separate them. therefore it would not be a unibrow.. I do hope that helps.

SonOfAdam

Staff member
There are different opinions on this matter and in your case I believe you qualify for a few exceptions and fatwa's on this matter since your husband highly dislikes the look and they may be very bushy, beyond what is normal. I am a student of Hanafi mathab and have heard the below opinions before, and not just from Hanafi's. I believe it is still best to stay away from plucking and all other doubtful things, but I believe you will find this information informative:

[...] however, if the eyebrows have become so dense that it is unseemly for a woman and incites abhorrence in her husband, it is permissible to trim it to a more appropriate and normal size (Ahsan al-Fatawa Vol.8 pg.76; Zakariyya Book Depot).

Taking the hadith and the various statements of the Hanafi jurists into consideration the following could be concluded:

1. It would be permitted for a women to remove a beard or a moustache that appears on her face. Even though it is facial hair, but since it is to stop women from resembling men, it is permitted. This is the opinion of the majority of scholars, in fact they have said it is recommended, not just permitted. The same will be to bleach this hair instead.

2. If the eyebrows are linked in between, it would be permissible to remove the excess hair from in between to separate them [i.e. the hair above the nose]. The reason for this is that linked eyebrows are looked upon as a defect, hence it would be permissible to remove it.

3. A 'few' stray hairs around the eyebrows would be permissible to remove by clipping them off, if it looks defective, or for married women creates abhorrence in their husband. This does not mean it is permitted to remove a whole line or two of fine hair from around the eyebrows [as is the nowadays].

4. Dense bushy eyebrows may be trimmed down to a more normal size. However, one must exercise great caution in this regard, since one does not want it to fall under the warning of the hadith. If one is not sure how to determine the normal size they shouldnot act on the benefit of the doubt, but rather follow the more cautionary approach and trim less. What so called 'regular' [especially non-Muslim] people consider nowadays as the norm i.e. eyebrows that are shaped in particular unnaturals or reduced to thin lines can not be considered as acceptable in Islamic law due to the severity of the hadith.

5. Great caution has to be exercised in this regard, since the hadith is very strict and there are some Hanafi scholars who have taken more strict position. For instance, Mullah Ali al-Qari (R.A) comments [relating from Imam Nawawi] that plucking of the facial hair is haram (unlawful) for a woman with the exception of moustache or beard hairs (Mirqat al-Mafatih 8:218). The concessions mentioned above are for the removal of a defective appearance and not for purely beautification purpose, hence, caution in this matters is the way.
Source: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=55&CATE=90

And Allah knows best. If you can convince your husband otherwise and to accept your eyebrows as they are it is best. Most men do not really notice such features, many men don't sit their and think about a person's eyebrows and other small details. There are other parts of beauty men focus on, eyebrows are not really one but they can be a turn off to many men if very bushy, similar to women facial hair is a huge turn off for men. Some men may find bushy eyebrows cute too, so it is just preference of the man really. We must always fear Allah SWT and do what we feel is best in accordance with our Deen.

Last edited: