PRAWNS

zarah

Islam
Staff member
:bismillah:

:salam2:

Are we allowed to have prawns?

(I have heard from certain people that we are not allowed to have it because it has no blood)

:jazaak:

:wasalam:

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Salam Alaykum...
....prawns....!!
do u mean as in pic?

attachment.php

<wasalam>

Attachments

• prawns.jpg
    prawns.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 164

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
WaAlaykum Alsalam.....sister in faith.....

<1st> u should know that:
Allaah has permitted us all the produce of the sea: “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food…” [al-Maa’idah 2:96 – interpretation of the meaning]. The Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) told us that it is halaal (lawful) to eat dead creatures from the sea and dead fish..

It is strange indeed that a person could dare to forbid something that Allaah has permitted. This is a very serious matter, as Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Make not unlawful the tayyibaat (all that is good) which Allaah has made lawful to you, and transgress not. Verily, Allah does not like the transgressors.” [al-Maa’idah 5:87]

“Say: ‘Who has forbidden the adornment with clothes given by Allah, which He has produced for His slaves, and al-Tayyibaat [all kinds of halaal (lawful) things] of food?’ Say: ‘They are, in the life of this world, for those who believe, (and) exclusively for them (believers) on the Day of Resurrection (the disbelievers will not share them).’ Thus We explain the aayaat (Islamic law) in detail for people who have knowledge.” [al-A‘raaf 7:32]

“Say: ‘Tell me, what provision Allah has sent down to you! And you have made of it lawful and unlawful.’ Say: ‘has Allah permitted you (to do so), or do you invent a lie against Allaah?’” [Yoonus 10:59]

Allaah has also warned His slave against forbidding anything without knowledge. He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“And say not concerning that which your tongues put forth falsely: ‘This is lawful and this is forbidden,’ so as to invent lies against Allaah. Verily, those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper.” [al-Nahl 16:116]

=========================

<2nd> It is permissible to eat prawns because the basic principle is that it is halaal. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“He it is Who created for you all that is on earth”

[al-Baqarah 2:29]

And it does not come under the same heading as the things prohibited in the hadeeth: The Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) forbade the eating of every animal that has fangs and every bird that has talons. Narrated by Muslim, 3574. And it is not harmful, so it is permissible to eat it. And Allaah knows best.

============================

is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allah :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970).
The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

================
And Allah knows best

<wasalam alaykum>

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam Alaykum

The permissibility of eating prawns or otherwise [according to the Hanafi Fuqaha] depends on whether they are considered from the fish family or not.

Many scholars of the Arabic language like Zabeedi, Fayrozabadi and others have considered prawns as fish. On the other hand the contemporary zoologists do not consider prawns as fish as they do not have a spine..

Normally, the ruling of such issues are not based on technical research rather it is based upon the understanding of the common people, and we have learnt that according to the understanding of the scholars of the Arabic language prawns are considered fish.

Moreover, according to the other 3 schools of Fiqh, to eat prawns is totally permissible which makes a leniency in the ruling.

Therefore it is permissible to eat prawns, but to refrain and abstain is always advisable.

Only Allah knows best

Muhammad Ibn Adam al-Kawthari

Asalaam

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

Jazzak-Allah khair sis,So what now do we carrying on eating it or shall we avoid it?

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
The permissibility of eating prawns or otherwise [according to the Hanafi Fuqaha] depends on whether they are considered from the fish family or not.

even it isn't from fish it's permissibility of eating..

due to i don't think ( prawns = scorpions )......

========================

Al-Nawawi said:

According to the scholars, the vermin of the earth such as snakes, scorpions, dung beetles, cockroaches, rats etc., are haraam. This is the view of Abu Haneefah, Ahmad and Dawood.

Al-Shaafa’i and his companions quote as evidence for that the aayah,

“and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods),”

[al-A’raaf 7:157 – interpretation of the meaning]

These are things which the Arabs find repulsive. And they quote as evidence the words of the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “(There are) five animals, all of which are evil and should be killed in the Haram (sanctuary of Makkah): crows, kites [a kind of bird], scorpions, rats and vicious dogs.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim from the report of ‘Aa’ishah, Hafsah and Ibn ‘Umar). It was narrated from Umm Shurayk that the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded the killing of lizards. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). With regard to the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering).” [al-An’aam 6:145]

al-Shaafa’i and other scholars said: what this refers to is things which you used to eat and regard as good. Al-Shaafa’i said: this is the most likely meaning of the aayah, based on the Sunnah. And Allaah knows best.

<wasalam>

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

Jazzak-Allah khair

That means my mate can eat prawns.:bananabb2in: :bananabb2in: :bananabb2in:

mosabaig

Diet

In our part of the world we donot see them, and not used to eating, so they are not so much liked..........and some people feel Karaaha to eat them, but they say other can eat ......:) :biggrin: ;) etc so enjoy it

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
The only problem I've heard of relating to Islam vs. Prawns is that come businessmen grow this seafood similarly to how many chickens are bred/slaughtered - in tiny, caged cells where they don't have the chance to see sunlight nor can they roam around in their natural environment for exercise/enjoyment of life (from a prawn's perspective, that is).

If they aren't from the ocean, they aren't seafood. Besides, I can almost guarentee you that these farmers don't sacrifice such prawns for the sake of Allah; but rather for huge corporate profits ($$$), which is why they breed them the way they do.

Just a thought ... =)

Kayote

Ive quickly skimmed through & thought it worth mention that whale & mammals (yes yes, whale is a mammal :)) are also not allowed.

Can anyone quote any hadith in relation to this?

Regards,

habib786

thank you for the post ... i love prawns and eat a lot ... but its was a good piece of information for me .... jazakallahu khairan

adilib

Salamalikum bro/sis
All the sea products is Halal. But I think prawns fall in the caqtegory of makrooh(that is discouraged ). the other sea foods that fall in this category are squid,crab,& lobster

Faiza619

Strangers on earth
Salamalikum bro/sis
All the sea products is Halal. But I think prawns fall in the caqtegory of makrooh(that is discouraged ). the other sea foods that fall in this category are squid,crab,& lobster

regarding your reply, we would like some proof/daleel because you mention something is makrooh and you dont post a daleel, it makes people just ignore your reply.
Sorry if my words hurt you in any way.
Allah knows my intentio was not so.
Fi Ammani Allah