Prayer Beads.

Yousuf.

:salam2: fellow Brothers and Sisters.

I've got a question.
Is it bid'ah to use prayer beads (misbaha, rosary)?

How bout the use of analog counters?

Thanks all....

:SMILY128:

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

ASALAMA ALEIKUM WA RAHAMATULLAHI WA BARAKATU, ITS BETTER FOR ONE TO DO DHIKIR USING YOU FINGERS FOR OUR BELOVED PROPHET( SALALAHU ALEIHIM WA SALAM) SAID on the day of qiyama (jugdement day) the fingers thats your fingers are going to witness on your behalf ( that you use to do dhikir)

shakeebshuaib

Shaykh Muhammad Naasir al-Deen al-Albaani said in Al-Silsilat al-Da’eefah (1/110), where he quotes the (weak) Hadith “What a good reminder is the subhah [masbahah]":

”In my view, the meaning of this hadeeth is invalid for a number of reasons: Firstly, the subhah [masbahah (prayer beads)] is bid’ah and was not known at the time of the Prophet (SAW). It happened after that, so how could he (SAW) have encouraged his Sahabah to do something that was unknown to them?

The evidence for what I have said is the report narrated by Ibn Waddaah in Al-Bid’ wa’l-Nahy ‘anhaa from al-Salt ibn Bahraam, who said: ‘Ibn Mas’ood passed by a woman who had a [masbahah] with which she was making tasbeeh, and he broke it and threw it aside, then he passed by a man who was making tasbeeh with pebbles, and he kicked him then said, “You think you are better than the Sahabah, but you are following unjustified bid’ah! You think you have more knowledge than the Companions of Muhammad (SAW)!”’ Its isnaad is saheeh to al-Salt, who is one of the trustworthy (thiqah) followers of the Taabi’een.

* Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (rahmatullahi alay) said in al-Fataawa (22/187): “Some of them might show off by putting their prayer-mats over their shoulders and carrying their masbahahs (prayer beads) in their hands, making them symbols of religion and prayer. It is known from the mutawaatir reports that neither the Prophet (SAW) nor his Companions (RU) used these as symbols. They used to recite tasbeeh and count on their fingers, as the hadeeth says: “Count on your fingers, for they will asked, and will be made to speak.” Some of them may count their tasbeeh with pebbles or date stones.

Yousuf.

Thanks brothers for the reply.

But is it okay to count using the analog counter, where you just press and the number goes up. It might come in handy cos sometimes you might miscount when using ur fingers to count. Especially when u try to dzikr up to 500 times or so, for example.

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

You know there is no set number in Dhikr of Allah except in certain circumstances in which it has been mentioned in the Sunnah of the Prophet :saw: ... but anways there have been threads of this in the past:

Using the prayer beads

Tasbi

By the way, as it should be known the Sunnah is to use the hands because then on the Day of Judgement they will testify on your behalf. Thus seeing as two bonuses there, I would prefer using them whatever the case, returning to the Sunnah and having extra benefit!

wasalam