prayers with the eyes closed

a_brother

Make dua for us all
:salam2:

we had a halaqa in masjid and one of the brothers asked a scholar about closing one's eye during salat... he said that its okay if helps with kushu3/concentration ... to me, it makes sense because main thing is for one to have kushu3.

Allah knows best

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salam

It is saying you need to keep your eyes open doing prayer but if you feel you can not concentrate then it is ok for you to close them but not just because you want to close your eyes. Indeed we need to pray with the eyes open but for sure you need to concentrate while doing your prayers and not let your mind wonder. Because we want to be sincere in your prayers and not just say it. For some closing the eyes gives them a sense of focus but they should try to learn to focus with open eyes at some point and make Du'aa for that.

Salam Amirah80

Salam
Amirah80

Ladybug3478

Why do you pray with your eyes open?

Hello,

I'm not a Muslim and I don't wear a head covering except for when I pray since in the Bible it says this should be done. I recently have begun to pray with my eyes open on occasion (not always) but, felt awkward since I've always closed my eyes. In addition, thoughts of if it mattered that my eyes were open came to mind. And, feelings of guilt came to me when my eyes were open since I've always associated deeply being in the moment with closed eyes. Coming across this post - and learning that my eyes may need to be open makes me curious.

So, why should someone pray with opened eyes?

Thanks

Abu Sabaayaa

'Alaykum as-Salam;

Ibn al-Qayyim said in 'Zad al-Ma'ad' that the asl is to keep your eyes open, but if closing them will keep your concentration, it is no problem to do so.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Hello,

I'm not a Muslim and I don't wear a head covering except for when I pray since in the Bible it says this should be done. I recently have begun to pray with my eyes open on occasion (not always) but, felt awkward since I've always closed my eyes. In addition, thoughts of if it mattered that my eyes were open came to mind. And, feelings of guilt came to me when my eyes were open since I've always associated deeply being in the moment with closed eyes. Coming across this post - and learning that my eyes may need to be open makes me curious.

So, why should someone pray with opened eyes?

Thanks

Salam Alaikum

We should pray with the eyes open because you should gaze at the place of prostration and worship Allah Ta'ala with eveything even the eyes. Alot of scholars say it it Makrooh is you close the eyes just because you want to. But if you close them to concentrate to keep yourself from wondering off in prayers it is permissable.

Salam Amirah