Praying in strange places

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
:salam2:

Bismillah Alhamdulillah.

So i went to shop in Ikea (those in UK will know this furniture shop) with my sister and the time for maghrib salah came, i decided to pray in a corner near some sofa's.

My sister said i was crazy to and she was uneasy the whole time! (we had to take turns to guard each other) but i didn't care coz I'd done this sort of thing before (mainly in changing rooms of department stores, but once in a bus also).

I couldn't very well let the salah go by because i was worried about people's stares now could i?

share with me, in what strange place have you prayed or seen someone pray?

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Feeling uneasy is one thing, missing salaah because of it is another. In these situations, it's probably best to find a secluded corner where your not preventing customers from moving about freely... Alternatively, you could ask a member of staff in future, they might know of a good spot for you.

Strange places? Most of us probably have. Market stools (near the North London IKEA), changing rooms, garages, campus lawns, hospital lawns...

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Feeling uneasy is one thing, missing salaah because of it is another. In these situations, it's probably best to find a secluded corner where your not preventing customers from moving about freely... Alternatively, you could ask a member of staff in future, they might know of a good spot for you.

Strange places? Most of us probably have. Market stools (near the North London IKEA), changing rooms, garages, campus lawns, hospital lawns...

We did ask, but unfortunately there was no place so we had to make do.

Have you never had to pray in a strange place? in which case :ma: i have to admire your sense of time management with regards to prayers :ma::ma:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

No sister, I have, and the management needs working on. What I meant by most of us have had to pray in odd places, was me primarily! Where there's an IKEA, there's usually are giant stores which probably have changing rooms. Inshaa' Allaah, for future that might be an option.

BinteShafi

Left long ago

Well...I used to pray at lunch time on the side of a busy raod. That is the central part of the city sorrounded by tall buildings...so thousands of people work there. Part of the road where I used to pray was kind of bridge (Pedestrian Crossing) between restaurants and offices. So many people would go to lunch. Once a man said "Excuse me" to me but soon he realized that I am busy, so he walked away.

Other time another main said "Excuse me" I did not respond. He came closer to me and tried again to get my attention and then walked away.

After sometime I started to pray in the Parents' Room of the nearby shopping mall. Parents who used to come there were very nice but one day cleaner shouted on me too much. She made me cried really really hard :)I was badly hurt that day

Sometime I also offered my Asar and Maghrib prayers in a small store of the kitchen of our office. My workplace had a beer fridge in the kitchen which was opened for employees at about 4:00 PM every Friday. Employees were allowed to take any drink (alcohlic and non-alcohlic) free of cost. Store room where I prayed was used to store all kitchen items plus those alcohlic drinks. I still wonder about the validity of my prayer........... :( but I really had no other option....May Allah forgive me and accept my prayers.

Alhamdolillah....Not working and staying home is such a blessing...Not working anymore and now I offer my prayers at home with so much peace. Alhamdolillah............

:wasalam:

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
Wa'aleykum salaam,

awww sister, inshaallah its all accepted, i'm realy touched by your dedication in the midst of all that subhanallah. But Ahmadulillah Allah has made it easy for you now. Mashaallah its simply amazing what you had to deal with daily!

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

So nobody goes about it the old-fashioned way?

Time the hang-outs and the trips around and within the gap of prayer times?

I have not had to pray in a weird place so far..alhamdulillah..but reading the replies before mine..sure moved me..mashallah..it's so beautiful to see such commitment :)

stiks

Amatur-Rahman

So nobody goes about it the old-fashioned way?

Time the hang-outs and the trips around and within the gap of prayer times?

I have not had to pray in a weird place so far..alhamdulillah..but reading the replies before mine..sure moved me..mashallah..it's so beautiful to see such commitment :)

As much as i try to do stuff before prayer times, things just creep up.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
As much as i try to do stuff before prayer times, things just creep up.

Well that's probably why I don't hang out much..I fear that things creep up like you said and I go into *panic mode*..but now I remembered that once..about 2 or 3 years ago..I prayed in my car :) (yes, it was VERY awkward movement wise..*sigh*)..that's the *weirdest* place for me

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
hmmm.i always do things between two prayer times, and I'm not a socializing person,so I do not hangout with ppl much.but when i go to shopping to central area thats the only day when i give salah out of my room.because i cannot go and comeback home without passing a prayer.
the strangest place i give my salah out of room is "changing rooms", I go to shopping centers find the neetest and well furnished place,take a dress and pretend to change.then do my salah and come and tell that dress does not fit.LOl.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
hmmm.i always do things between two prayer times, and I'm not a socializing person,so I do not hangout with ppl much.but when i go to shopping to central area thats the only day when i give salah out of my room.because i cannot go and comeback home without passing a prayer.
the strangest place i give my salah out of room is "changing rooms", I go to shopping centers find the neetest and well furnished place,take a dress and pretend to change.then do my salah and come and tell that dress does not fit.LOl.

I've done this countless times, especially maghrib salah as i have to commute (2 buses from work to home) so when i fear that it'll be time before i reach home, i get off at the nearest high street and pretend to shop and do my salah in the changing room.

The time changes in summer/winter doesn't help either, that why i always carry my huge hand bag (my sister swears it weighs more than me) and in it are amongst other things, my prayer mat and salah timetable. *sigh* the 'glory and freedom' of being a single working woman in theses countries.

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
I've done this countless times, especially maghrib salah as i have to commute (2 buses from work to home) so when i fear that it'll be time before i reach home, i get off at the nearest high street and pretend to shop and do my salah in the changing room.

The time changes in summer/winter doesn't help either, that why i always carry my huge hand bag (my sister swears it weighs more than me) and in it are amongst other things, my prayer mat and salah timetable. *sigh* the 'glory and freedom' of being a single working woman in theses countries.
sis,same here."sigh"...I'm not working but studying abroad.,or yea,I do not go alone out,I alws go with a muslim sister,ther are few sisters here.,we call each other and arrange a time to go central shopping area like once in two weeks as our university is very far away located separated place from where loal people lives. IT takes 30 minutes by car to go the nearest shopping grossary market also.but alhamdhulillah I do not have to go there often,the university have all kind of stores as they kept this place like a "city" far from all other things.but we go just to buy some stuffs that we love,you know halal stuffs like meat and cheese which are not available from the uni stores.,(all non-islamic foods*sigh*)

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
sis,same here."sigh"...I'm not working but studying abroad.,or yea,I do not go alone out,I alws go with a muslim sister,ther are few sisters here.,we call each other and arrange a time to go central shopping area like once in two weeks as our university is very far away located separated place from where loal people lives. IT takes 30 minutes by car to go the nearest shopping grossary market also.but alhamdhulillah I do not have to go there often,the university have all kind of stores as they kept this place like a "city" far from all other things.but we go just to buy some stuffs that we love,you know halal stuffs like meat and cheese which are not available from the uni stores.,(all non-islamic foods*sigh*)

May Allah azzawajal make it easy for you sis.

Kakorot

strangest places that i prayed: near the stair case in my secondary school..that's all i can remember for now. btw just wanted to add that i never thought of praying in the changing rooms of a shopping centre, jazakillaah sisters :)

stiks

Amatur-Rahman

strangest places that i prayed: near the stair case in my secondary school..that's all i can remember for now. btw just wanted to add that i never thought of praying in the changing rooms of a shopping centre, jazakillaah sisters :)

Secondary school! seems like another lifetime ago to me subhanallah.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamualaykum,

Strangest place I've prayed is the art room store cupboard in my secondary school. They thought it was okay to give that as a prayer room, assuming ofcourse we just sit and put our hands together and remember Allaah that way, like christians do. Such ignorance :)

iidob_123

Same to me

Assalamulikum
This same thing happen to me when i was in study purpose in paris versity certification i prayed when mugreb time beside a market place another times in the bench of park.that is the first duty sister whereever u r u have to stand for Allah when time demands for pray.you can visit my website iidob.weebly.com for nice oic and others.zazakumullahkhiran.
Sharear Azam