Pregnancy and Fasting

Wagma

Ramadan Mubarak
I have a question concerning fasting and pregnancy
This is my first pregnancy and I am planning on reading/studying the Holy Quran - and do all the actions expected of a Muslim but I am being discouraged to observe fasting because I spend an average of 10 hours a day at work - and my husband and parents dont want me to jeapordize my first pregnancy. What are your opinions?
Thank you

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum dear sister, welcome to the forum and thanks for your message. May Allah bestow his mercy on us all.

Allah says in the Quran:

Allah intends for you ease, and does not want to make things difficult for you" [2:185];

and Allah also says:

"Verily there has come unto you a Messenger from amongst yourselves, it grieves him that you should suffer any difficulty, he is anxious for you, for the believers he is full of pity and merciful" [10:128]

So as we see, Islam is easy. And we are not to go out of bounds in our striving for Allah's love. We must follow the middle way, the way that Allah and his Messenger intended for us

With regards to fasting, then it is not obligatory for a pregnant women, travellers, the weak and the ill to fast...... instead, Allah says in the Quran:

“but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days”
[al-Baqarah 2:184]

So you must make up the days that you miss by fasting those days.

The following is from a Fatwa by the late Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Shaykh bin Baz Rahimahullah,

Question:
My wife is 7 months pregnant does she nees to have fast if not what she needs to do inspite .

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The most correct view compares pregnant and nursing women to those who are sick, so it is permissible for them not to fast, and all they have to do is make up the days they missed, whether they feared for themselves or their child. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has relieved the traveller of the obligation of fasting and half of the prayer, and He has relieved the pregnant woman and nursing mother of the obligation of fasting.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 715; Ibn Maajah, 1667; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 575.
From Saba’oona Mas’alah fi’l-Siyaam (Seventy Issues related to Fasting).
If a pregnant woman fears that fasting may harm her or her baby, then she should follow the ruling on one who is sick. So she may break her fast and she has to make up the days that she did not fast, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”
[al-Baqarah 2:185]
But if she does not fear that she or her baby may be harmed by fasting, then she has to fast, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Sawm (fasts) that month”
[al-Baqarah 2:185]

In most cases, fasting is difficult for pregnant women, especially in the final months, and fasting may affect the pregnancy. So she should refer to a trustworthy doctor for advice.
See al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/359.
And Allaah knows best.

--

Wasalam.

Wagma

I am grateful for your prompt response - thank you very much
and I also want to congratulate you and such a wonderful site - I find the videos on this site inspiring and uplifting. I was born muslim but I find myself learning so much from converts and I am grateful for them sharing their blessed stories. I wish all on this site a blessed Ramadan.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam alaykum

Jazakallah khayr... I wish you and your family the best for ramadan in this blessed month..

Welcome sis to tti..:)

:salam2: