Preparing for my FIRST Ramadan.....

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome.......

Ramadan is here in a couple days. I have a problem..........someone recently told me that I am supposed to say special words to begin the fast and special words to break the fast. I didnt know this!!!! Am I allowed to say it in English or does it need to be said in Arabic? What are the words Im supposed to say???? Also do I need to eat dates to break the fast????? I feel like I have alot to learn and I thought it was just fasting and reading Quran.

Safiyah_

Wa aleikum salam
Mmmh good question. This is also my first Ramadan and i didn't know this!!
I read somewhere that u can also break it by drinking water, because it is pure.

If anyone can answer this questin, i'd be glad to read it!

xx

shasha

Muslimah
We should eat before Fajr then after eating we say that short prayer:
"Allahuma inni asoomo ghaddallaka faghfirli ma kaddamtu wa ma akhartu"
Then pray Fajr.

Then fast ends when Maghrib arrives? Then pray "Allahumma lakasamtu
wabika aamantu wa alayka tawwakaltu wala rizki aftartu fatakabbal
minni ya wasi al fazli faghfirli" Pray the Maghrib then I eat dates or
drink water before we have our meal.

This is what my friend told me and she's been a Muslimah all her life. :hijabi:

Another friend of mine sent me this:

"While eating dates is also a very good Sunnah from the prophet and practiced in many countries, the order by which you break your fast varies from country to country and culture to culture. Some break their fast with water and dates, then pray, then eat their meal. Others drink water first, then pray, then eat. I've seen some who drink their, water, and eat their meals, then pray Maghreb (as long as Maghreb time does not pass). All are acceptable and VALID InShaAllah.

Saying the short statements before dawn and at Maghreb is also a sunnah (optional) and NOT a requirement. It's nice to say them as it helps confirm your intentions and purify your purpose for fasting and braking your fast (whis is for obeying ALLAH swt alone). But not saying them DOES NOT INVALIDATE your fast. As long as the fast has the right intentions in your heart, then InShaAllah it is accepted by the creator."

I'm sure you're going to say those prayers even though some say it's optional. Coz we're converts so we're pretty excited and want to do things right as much as possible coz it's our 1st time (I converted 4 months ago). :)

Salaam :hearts:

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam

Ramadan is here in a couple days. I have a problem..........someone recently told me that I am supposed to say special words to begin the fast and special words to break the fast. I didnt know this!!!! Am I allowed to say it in English or does it need to be said in Arabic? What are the words Im supposed to say???? Also do I need to eat dates to break the fast????? I feel like I have alot to learn and I thought it was just fasting and reading Quran.

wa alaikom assalam
the special Du'a we say it coz the prphet PBUH said it , we follow him :)
so it's Sunnah , No sin if we did not say it
u can pray Allah in any language , ask him to help & forgive you .
to break your fast .. you have to eat dates first and then anything , it's healthy for fasting ppl .
If u dont have dates , u have water as an alternative

our religion is easy .. no reason to be confusing or worried :)

mali1

For all of you who are fasting for the first time -- All the best and may Allah accept your prayers and fasting. Please do remember me in your prayers. Alhamdulillah.

palestine

Servant of Allah
asalamu alaykum, i am in a hurry and can't be of much help to you right now. but this website has the duas or supplications which must be said before fasting and before breaking your fast. they are in fact in arabic but with english translation. since you are new, you are not compelled to read them in arabic. just try and memorize the english translation and use that to break your fast and to begin your fast inshaAllah. i will post more stuff for you about ramadan later tonight inshaAllah and some videos. but as of now, you can you use these two websites. just copy and past into the address bar inshaAllah.

http://www.searchtruth.com/dua/index.php

www.everymuslim.net

take care ukhti. wasalamu alaykum and Happy FIRST RAMADAN. and RAMADAN MUBARAK SISTER!!!:):):):):):):):):):):):)

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan to all who gave such good information. I pray that Allah will reward you all for your knowledge, kindness and support to all of your brothers and sisters who are fasting their first Ramadan.

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
As salamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu "TREE2008"

May Allah Subhanahu wa Taala bless you and your family. As this is going to be your first Ramadan, so do not worry too much. Take things simply and to the best of your knowledge and ability. Also brothers and sisters on the forum are always ready to help with any kind of questions.

Barakallahu feekum for taking the time to read the message.

Wa/salam

zbhotto

Banned

The sunni scholars unanimously agree that there is no requirement to say something special at the beginning and breaking of fasting for the validity of fast. You can pray for anything you wish to ALLAH (SWT) before breaking the fasting. To start fasting you should have intention in your mind that you are fasting to please ALLAH (SWT). Taking food at late night itself carries the intention. So there is no need to say something special.

*Kawthar*

SA to everyone,

Is it true that one has to break the fast first and then pray. as in we start fasting the moment the sun rises, and we stop fasting the moment it sets. could anyone please clarify do we break the fast first or do we pray first?

one more thing. is it true that in order to start the Ramadhan properly we must stand in prayer the night before the first day of fasting?

Thanks in advance