Prophet Mohammed's (pbuh) letter to Christian monks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmelbouzaidi

In 628 C.E. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) sent a letter of immense support to the monks of St. Catherine's Monastery in Mt. Sinai. It contains several aspects of human rights including the protection of Christians, freedom of worship, freedom to own and maintain their property, exemption from military engagement, and the right to protection in war.

An English translation of that document is below:

"This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them. Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them.
Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses. Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate. No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray.
Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants. No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world)".

What a message of peace and solidarity from our beloved prophet, Mohammed (pbuh), Masha Allah.

Comments and thoughts are welcome.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
In 628 C.E. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) sent a letter of immense support to the monks of St. Catherine's Monastery in Mt. Sinai. It contains several aspects of human rights including the protection of Christians, freedom of worship, freedom to own and maintain their property, exemption from military engagement, and the right to protection in war.

An English translation of that document is below:

"This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them. Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them.
Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses. Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate. No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray.
Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants. No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world)".

What a message of peace and solidarity from our beloved prophet, Mohammed (pbuh), Masha Allah.

Comments and thoughts are welcome.

Stupid Media, they never show anything like this!!
Brother, where did you get the letter from? May I have a link?

muharram23

Staff member
salamu alaykum

how do you guys know if this is really from resulullah svs? Don't just take whatever is posted anywhere on the net. Before you send stuff, you have to know the authenticity of it otherwise we will be responsible for spreading something that could not be authentic. Also, spreading lies about resulullah, if he svs didnt write that. Where is the arabic script? What have schoalrs said about that? Plus that site is called "darvish" which is a suffi sect. So, be aware. It is very dangerous to talk about something we do not know if is true.

wasalam

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
salamu alaykum

how do you guys know if this is really from resulullah svs? Don't just take whatever is posted anywhere on the net. Before you send stuff, you have to know the authenticity of it otherwise we will be responsible for spreading something that could not be authentic. Also, spreading lies about resulullah, if he svs didnt write that. Where is the arabic script? What have schoalrs said about that? Plus that site is called "darvish" which is a suffi sect. So, be aware. It is very dangerous to talk about something we do not know if is true.

wasalam

:wasalam:

Completely agree. I suggest this thread to be deleted until the poster finds a way to prove it's authenticity and can only then re-post it.
No doubt our Prophet :saw: was MERCY TO MANKIND, but SubhanAllaah, what if this letter is false, do you need this kind of thing to make you think higher of him???

Musa abu A'isha

Aussie Muslim
Allaah's Messenger, and Allaah knows best, always signed his name - Muhammad Messenger of God, except on 1 occasion when he was forced by the Mushrikeen to sign it as Muhammad son of Abdullaah.
That's one of the many things which make this letter seem suspiscious.

girl_from_south

selam

Selam alejkum sisters & brothers in islam....

I want to ask you, where I could find all the letters of the Messenger Muhammed,s.a.w.s., on the internet....

cmelbouzaidi

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

This seems to have prompted a lively discussion! However, we are missing an expert scholar's opinion. I posted this with good intentions and would like to reply first to a question from Saniyah.. "if the letter was false, do you need this kind of thing to make you think higher of our prophet Mohammed (saw)???" ABSOLUTELY NOT and please do not be judgmental. If you discover that is is in fact true, would you think any less of our beloved prophet Mohammed? My response and question to you for such an absurd question!

Secondly, this letter should not be new to all of you.... It is the English translation from "Muslim History" by Dr. A. Zahour & Dr. Z. Haq and the content of this letter are verified by Dr. Aslam Abdullah, acting president of the Muslim Council of America, if you want to take it up with him. I am just someone who was given a copy of the translation of the letter by my lovely Palestinian sister who dedicates her life to Islam and dawa, Alhamdulillah. The original copy was taken by Salem I of the Ottoman Empire and can be seen today in the Topkapi museum in Istanbul. It does contain the Prophet's (saw) official stamp. If you would like to see what the original actuall looks like on line, I found it under st-katherine.net. Postings of the translation of the letter into English can be found in Wikipedia, Islamicity.com and various other websites. I do not post without doing research first but I am still learning about Islam and our Prophet (saw) every day, Alhamdulillah. May Allah have mercy on all of us and may we continue our quest for knowledge, Insha Allah.

girl_from_south

selam

Selam alejkum muslims!
on the first page I was heaving reaquest for you!
can you halp me - WHERE ON THE INTERNET CAN I FIND ALL THE LATTERS OF OUR PROPHET MUHAMMED, saws?
I was looking, but I could't find.
May Allah give you the best reward - HIS PLEASURE! :tti_sister:

SELAM

Status
Not open for further replies.