Psychology

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalaamu Alaykum Brother and Sisters in faith.

Just would like to ask what is your opinion (with Islamic basis) on consulting a psychologist for solving emotional problems... Like counselling... going to a stranger and telling him/her all your problems and then they help you to get over them... (in a nut shell)

Ershad

Asalaamu Alaykum Brother and Sisters in faith.

Just would like to ask what is your opinion (with Islamic basis) on consulting a psychologist for solving emotional problems... Like counselling... going to a stranger and telling him/her all your problems and then they help you to get over them... (in a nut shell)

:salam2:

Yes, it is permissible to visit a psychologist. I fail to see how different it is from a doctor. However, I don't think a non-muslim person or doctor can solve one's emotional problems. Emotional problems can be overcome only by faith in Allah and a doctor with knowledge about Islam might give a better advice.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

A psychologist or a counselor do not need to have medical degrees. Thus, they can request a particular medicine but the prescription has to be from a physician or MD.

Psychiatrists are highly trained in both fields. They are doctors who specialize in psychiatry. They can prescribe medication.

Having been a counselor as I grew in Islam it became virtually impossible to use the threarputic modalities that are secular. It just doesn't work. I do not care the name of the school of thought is..it is based on erroneous beliefs of the soul.

Most psychological problems in my humble opinion are faith based. It is only faith that gives a person the courage to let go of the issues that have consumed them. Islam teaches us how to be patient and accepting.

I found that the magic was always when I could have the client relate their problems in a God-centered way. My work was with non-Muslims but the results were amazing. My clients started to use worlds like joy.

For Muslims I am beginning to think we need to reject the constructs of the ego that the 19th century psychiatrist utilized. They rejected the needs of the soul.

Muslims live to balance the soul and life for the being.

I pray I made sense.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Most psychological problems in my humble opinion are faith based. It is only faith that gives a person the courage to let go of the issues that have consumed them. Islam teaches us how to be patient and accepting.

Thanks Aapa, you did make sense. I feel the same way - that with strong faith or reliance on Allah to be better will help us to overcome our problems. But say for example a person has been through a traumatic experience, something that will affect his/her future or life everyday. To get psychological help to overcome that does not mean a lack of faith?

Also with the reference to Muslim psychologists... Wouldnt there be this tendancy to judge another Muslim. For example, in couselling sessions you are encouraged to speak about everything so that a bigger picture can be seen. This might include disclosng of sins... what would you say about that? what if the whole reason why you are troubled revolves around a sin? and then to see a Muslim psychologist who is not a scholar but just a professional in his/her field, you might be judged by them...

esperanza

revert of many years
Thanks Aapa, you did make sense. I feel the same way - that with strong faith or reliance on Allah to be better will help us to overcome our problems. But say for example a person has been through a traumatic experience, something that will affect his/her future or life everyday. To get psychological help to overcome that does not mean a lack of faith?

Also with the reference to Muslim psychologists... Wouldnt there be this tendancy to judge another Muslim. For example, in couselling sessions you are encouraged to speak about everything so that a bigger picture can be seen. This might include disclosng of sins... what would you say about that? what if the whole reason why you are troubled revolves around a sin? and then to see a Muslim psychologist who is not a scholar but just a professional in his/her field, you might be judged by them...

dear sister i understand what your saying,beause yes somketimes when we have a bad experience that affects our whole life,it ould be diffiult to ahre all this with a muslim psyhologist ,as they may judge you or you feel you cant tell them everything..so this makes it awkaward..
so ihope someone can advise on this

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I have stopped counseling. I will talk to a person if they feel comfortable with me...but that psychobabble stuff is just that psychobabble.

Islam has dua. Islam has salat. Islam has zakat. It is active. The way to overcome any shock is to be alive. It is to have the courage to accept this was a test of Allah. It is to have sabr.

Most counseling does not concentrate on sabr. Most counseling stops time to delve into why a person is stuck. There is nothing that points to the Path of Forgiveness.

I think of those who are grateful to Allah for the tests they have endured and that is the key to success.

No, a Muslim counselor would not judge you..they are trying to help you see the bigger picture. Remember psychological pathology is the focusing on a narrow issue in life and magnifying it so it pollutes all areas of a persons life.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال

I found that the magic was always when I could have the client relate their problems in a God-centered way. My work was with non-Muslims but the results were amazing. My clients started to use worlds like joy.

For Muslims I am beginning to think we need to reject the constructs of the ego that the 19th century psychiatrist utilized. They rejected the needs of the soul.

Muslims live to balance the soul and life for the being.

I pray I made sense.

Wa'alaykummusalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Yes, psychological problems are indeed faith-based. Especially that related to emotional and spiritual. That which relates to the heart. Our soul. The Quran is the best remedy for any disease exist in this world. This does not necessarily means we are de-acknowledging the role of doctors and psychiatrist but we know that only Allaah is The Healer of the heart, the Healer of the physical hurt, the Healer of the temporary pain. Even when doctors put their best effort to heal a dying person, to treat a rare disease, if Allaah wills that the man lives, he shall live. Putting our full reliance on human beings are not permissible. They are just means for us to seek help from the Divine.

Numerous stories that I've encounter on how a lady puts her full tawakkal on Allaah subhanahu wa Ta'ala, reads the Quran constantly when hospitalized and drink zam zam water, Alhamdulilah Allaah healed her. Allaah indeed works in wondrous ways to the Believers.

On the first attempt, matters might not seem to work immediately. The sick person does not seem to heal at all, and in fact getting worse even though an exceptional amount of a'amal and du'a have been made. If one tries to contemplate, it might be that Allaah is testing his patience. Calling him to come back to The AlMighty sincerely. And that healing is awaiting him at the end of the road, just that he needed to pass the test that Allaah has put upon Him.

My short experience of going through deep pains, we, as humans would feel like letting it out/sharing the pain to others. However, somehow, I always feel that my pain do not ease so much through sharing it with others. It is only. . . only by letting everything to Allaah my heart will feel at peace. A bliss peace.

Anyways, I am sorry for the long post if you did not wish for one. Just thought that I'd share some enlightenment on this matter, bi itnillah.

I leave you with one beautiful, true Words from Allaah Al-Raheem and a moving article about the heart.

"Call upon your Lord in humility and privately; indeed, He does not like transgressors." [Al-A'raaf,7:55]

Take Back Your Heart

:wasalam:

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Jazakallah Khair for your replies. Dont apologise for the long post, i love to read anything that one writes.
I share the same viewpoint as you but also think that psychologists could be a means through which we can oovercome our problems. and yes, we should not reply on them completely.
However, i do think that talking to someone, whether known or stranger, does help to "get things out of your system" and also gives you an opportunity to see an outside perspective. Sometimes we are so caught up in our own situation and cant see anything beyond that, it helps to get an objective opinion or a "snap back to reality". For me my best friend, the one who knows me well, grew up with me is my pillar. She advises me always with Allah in mind and also reminds me of who i am - sometimes not always the good part!
But definitely prayer, dikr, Quran are the way to go first and foremost. May Allah relieve the tensions in our hearts and may the tests He puts us through be helpful in strengthening our Iman.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
last year I had some problems with a mental disturb and it had been sent to me a psychiatra(not psychologue)to know from where my "absence" came.it didn't help me but that day I lied to them because I didn't want to share my problems with somebody I didn't know..then,after some weeks I understood from where the problem came,I started praying with more strenght and my mental status was due to something very old and I solved it aloneI'm still fighting with it,but I'll never share my personal things to a psychologue..As you may know,many tti members were the only ones who knew my truth and I'm happy of this,because none asked me something in exchange except to be strong.I was psychologue of myself,thank to Allah's help and to my desire to grow up with my dears

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
last year I had some problems with a mental disturb and it had been sent to me a psychiatra(not psychologue)to know from where my "absence" came.it didn't help me but that day I lied to them because I didn't want to share my problems with somebody I didn't know..then,after some weeks I understood from where the problem came,I started praying with more strenght and my mental status was due to something very old and I solved it aloneI'm still fighting with it,but I'll never share my personal things to a psychologue..As you may know,many tti members were the only ones who knew my truth and I'm happy of this,because none asked me something in exchange except to be strong.I was psychologue of myself,thank to Allah's help and to my desire to grow up with my dears

Subhanallah! I dont think I could share my problems with a stranger either... I used to support the idea of therapy but now that I have started practicing Islam, im finding that peace will come in another way. Just thinking about Allah and his mercy makes me happy :)
I pray for all those who have mental or emotional problems. I pray that Allah draw them close and make them realise that peace of mind and heart comes only through Allah and pursuit of worldly solutions only digs us deeper into the pit we are trying so desperately to climb out of. I pray all Muslims find peace with Allah.

strive-may-i

Was folllowing/reading a blog journal [two years before], from a persons self journey in finding a way to solve his emptiness in life. His psyche was finding no solace from psychological treatment. He tried many avenues, finally decided that its a matter of something deep in him, that was wanting something more. He realized its a matter of his soul. An interesting write up those were. Unfortunate, he refused to accept the preachings of all religions, because he felt he did not need any guidance...

A person
ends up in joy by deeds that fulfills souls needs
or
ends up with no joy even after filling material needs,
And winds up with Alcohol as his need!