question about christmas

Amina 1

assalam alaikum,

I started trying to quit celebrating Christmas for at least 5 years before I even heard about being a Muslim. My parents whine and beg and don't understand why and always guilt trip me into celebrating. When I became a Muslim they still did the same thing. Last year I told them we would not celebrate and at the last minute my husband told them that we would. He said I must be nice to my parents and there is nothing wrong with celebrating. This year I have told them no again(Ever feel like you are walking upstream while everyone else walks down stream and they try to drag you with them?)My husband says I am being to hard on them. I am going to fast on Christmas day and lock my doors and not answer the phone. I was thinking maybe in a week or two I would give them presents that are thank you presents. I will have to ignore them on birthdays to. Do you think that this is acceptable or am I being mean to my parents. Oh and by the way they always insist on holding hands and giving thanks to Jesus the savior before eating and last year I caught them sneaking pork into the green beans with out telling me :SMILY309: My entire life they never talked about Christianity or went to church . When I became a muslim all of a sudden it is all they talk about. They cry about how sad it is that I would deprive my son of Santa I mean I had santa when I was growing up how could I be so cruel as to not let my son celebrate. Sorry don't mean to talk to much any way do you think it is acceptable to handle it this way?? I was going to put this as a reply to the christmas post but decided to give it a different thread

anwar99

Walaikumassalaam,

Its good that you are trying not to participate in christmas. but again its important that you dont celebrate it at all.Its good to go against parents in such circumstances than to go against the will of Allah.But try to be an obedient child in all other aspects,so that they can realise that you have become more helpful to them than ever before.Inshallah they wiil realise after a period of time that Islam is the only true religion,May Allah give hidayat to them.

pcozzy

assalam alaikum,

I started trying to quit celebrating Christmas for at least 5 years before I even heard about being a Muslim. My parents whine and beg and don't understand why and always guilt trip me into celebrating. When I became a Muslim they still did the same thing. Last year I told them we would not celebrate and at the last minute my husband told them that we would. He said I must be nice to my parents and there is nothing wrong with celebrating. This year I have told them no again(Ever feel like you are walking upstream while everyone else walks down stream and they try to drag you with them?)My husband says I am being to hard on them. I am going to fast on Christmas day and lock my doors and not answer the phone. I was thinking maybe in a week or two I would give them presents that are thank you presents. I will have to ignore them on birthdays to. Do you think that this is acceptable or am I being mean to my parents. Oh and by the way they always insist on holding hands and giving thanks to Jesus the savior before eating and last year I caught them sneaking pork into the green beans with out telling me :SMILY309: My entire life they never talked about Christianity or went to church . When I became a muslim all of a sudden it is all they talk about. They cry about how sad it is that I would deprive my son of Santa I mean I had santa when I was growing up how could I be so cruel as to not let my son celebrate. Sorry don't mean to talk to much any way do you think it is acceptable to handle it this way?? I was going to put this as a reply to the christmas post but decided to give it a different thread

you may want to read this because if they are christian they need to know the truth about it's relation to christmas.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47958

As more and more my Iman increases; the more I look into seek facts relating and tell the truth. Your situation seem to be difficult, if anybody does not respect you, being muslim, then you may consider to be firm and show them that It is very serious. not that you haven't done that though. As for me if I find socially becoming extremely difficult for me to practice my faith; I just leave or stop it right there.

may Allah be with u.

:wasalam:

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Sister, may Allah helps you. My parents in law also non muslim..but I do visit them on their diwali function. The advantage is my wife will help her mother to cook so she ensure only halal food are cooked. I learnt that we can't hurt the feelings of our parents or parents in any form unless they us you go against the path of Allah. If they invited to their house we must try to attend..our nawaitu is ziarah. My ustaz even said that I can carry their coffin when the time come. Only things is forbidden is to do something that will shirk Allah...na'uzubillah.

Amina 1

Assalam Alaikum wa rahmatulli wa Barackatu

Thanks everyone for you good advice may Allah bless you.
I wrote email to all of my family explaining why I did not celebrate and that it was nothing personal against them I attached avideo about christmas being based on paganism and a document about the orgins of christmas. I stayed home and did not call them. My mother flipped out and has written me three letters lecturing me about how rude I was and what christmas really stands for she keeps trying to make me give her holiday greetings, My brother dad and stepmother are all offended and not talking to me. They have made me feel like I am a mean and terrible person. Reading stuff on this website helps me know that I am not wrong Hamdulillah christmas is over.

justme1983

Hamdulillah christmas is over.

ALHAMDULILLAH!!! I am SO glad it's over!!
YEA!!! YEA!!! YEA!!!

:SMILY288: :laughing-dancing: :jumpclap: :wavyarms: :SMILY288: :laughing-dancing: :jumpclap: :wavyarms: :SMILY288: :laughing-dancing: :jumpclap: :wavyarms:

Stay strong sister...you've done the right thing....don't let them tell you otherwise.

(This was my first Christmas as a Muslim and although my family's not real happy that I didn't celebrate with them, I feel good about it alhamdulillah. My mother sent me a ton of emails saying "Merry Christmas" and I think she was trying to get me to tell her the same.....it didn't work!)

Amina 1

Assalam Alaikum brother

Thank you so much for your knowledge I will pray to Allah to reward you for helping me with my problems. It is very good advise you have giving me. For sorry I can not give it to them. They have made it clear they do not care and do not want to know. My mother yelled at me that I was trying to force my religion down her throat and she told me that I was calling the religion of her and all her ancestors a lie. Wow that really freaked me out I didn't know people really said things like that anymore. So I will leave them alone and try to be as nice as possible to them.:SMILY23:

thank you so much for including the transliteration in your notes :SMILY231:

Amina 1

Assalam Alaikum

I am so glad it is over stay strong. THe more they oppose me the more I admire the prophet. Wow Hamdulillah to be that strong.

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
salam

OH SISTER I THINK WHAT YOUR DOING IS TOTALLY RIGHT ..I am WITH YOU...
you know ..they are saying you to fast on Christmas day? no my sister, this is not better... you have to only fast on the month of Ramadan and Isa (pbuh) (Jesus) is just the messenger of Allah and he is our prophet and we Muslim's don't have the right to follow Jesus but we have to follow Muhammad(s.a.w') sunnah ... this is our duty what Allah has said us sister...what your doing is totally right because Allah (s.w.t) has said to sacrifices anything for Allah(s.w.t) ..
hope you understand ..
in sorry if i have wronged my self
..your beloved sister..
:blackhijab:

Amina 1

Assalam Alaikum

No sister you have not wronged yourself. No one told me to fast I just decided to. Thank you so much for your support may Allah bless you.

MMMM786

salaam just think it this way if u celebrate it and u think that jesus is god's son then ur are a KAFFIR and if ur parents don't understand then explain to them like ur best freind that u know that if we do celebrate chritmas then we aren't muslims and by saying that it is a big saying that we are muslims but think about it by calling ur self a muslim do u pray 5 times aday do help the poor do u help ur family and ur parents and the people that u don't like

i have just now realised that if i don''t sacrifice for my family or allah them im not a muslim so think about it!

ws
:ma:

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
assalam alaikum,

salamu Alikum wahmrtu Allah wabrkatu sis MAY Allah increase your faith and knowledge masHA ALLAH

HERE IS A FATWA RULLING OF CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48587

Can she attend Christmas celebrations in order to greet her relatives
She says: I want to become Muslim, but my family gather to celebrate Christmas, and I want to go and greet them. This is not with the intention of celebrating or joining in, but simply to make the most of the opportunity of my relatives getting together. Is this allowed?

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen,who answered as follows:

No, it is not permitted. If Allaah blesses her with Islam, then the first thing she must do is to distance herself from her former religion and its festivals.

And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen

Ruling on joining in the kaafir (Disbeliver) festivals
I see many "Muslims" joining in Christmas and other celebrations. Is there any daleel from the Quran and Sunnah that I can present to them to show that these are indeed very sinful practices?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to join in the kaafir festivals for the following reasons:

Firstly: because this entails imitating or resembling them, and “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood). This is a serious warning. ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-‘Aas said: Whoever lives in the land of the mushrikeen and celebrates their Nawrooz (New Year) and their Mahrajaan (festivals), and imitates them until he dies, he will be a loser on the Day of Resurrection.

Secondly: taking part in their festivals is a kind of befriending them and showing love for them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them… “[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

“O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e. disbelievers and polytheists) as friends, showing affection towards them” [al-Mumtahanah 60:1]

Thirdly: festivals are the matter of religion and beliefs, not the matter of worldly customs, as is indicated by the hadeeth: “Every nation has its Eid, and this is our Eid.” Their Eid or festival reflects their corrupt beliefs of Kufr and Shirk.

Fourthly: “And those who do not witness falsehood, and if they pass by some evil play or evil talk, they pass it by with dignity” [al-Furqaan 25:72 – interpretation of the meaning]. The scholars interpreted this aayah was referring to the festivals of the mushrikeen. It is not permissible to give any of them cards for their festivals, or to sell them cards or any of the other things they need for their festivals such as lights, trees or food – including turkey, candy canes, etc.

We have already answered a similar question, for more details please see Question #947.

Islam Q&A

They were offered food at Christmas – what should they do?
What should one do if one's neighbour serve one with chrismas food on the 25th of December. Should we pour away the food or should we reject it even if rejecting it can cause misunderstanding with them.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for a Muslim to accept gifts from the kuffaar or to give them gifts, especially if they are relatives. The evidence for that is as follows:

(a)

It was narrated that Abu Humayd al-Saa’idi said: We went on campaign with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to Tabook, and the king of Aelia gave the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) a white mule and a cloak, and he (the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) approved of him as the ruler of his land. Narrated by al-Bukhaari (2990).

(b) It was narrated that Katheer ibn ‘Abbaas ibn ‘Abd al-Muttalib said: ‘Abbaas said: I was present with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on the day of Hunayn. Abu Sufyaan ibn al-Haarith ibn ‘Abd al-Muttalib and I stayed close to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and did not leave him. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was riding a white mule of his, that had been given to him by Farwah ibn Nufaathah al-Judhaami. Narrated by Muslim (1775).

It was proven that the Sahaabah also (accepted gifts from the kuffaar) with the permission of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) during his lifetime. The mother of Asma’ bint Abi Bakr – who was a mushrikah – visited her daughter and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave permission to Asma’ (may Allaah be pleased with her) to uphold ties of kinship with her. And it is proven that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab gave a suit to his brother who was a mushrik. Both hadeeth are narrated in al-Saheehayn.

To sum up: it is permissible for a Muslim to give gifts to a kaafir and to accept gifts from him.

Secondly:

With regard to gifts given on their festivals, it is not permissible to give or accept them, because that is venerating their festivals and expressing approval of them and helping them in their kufr.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If someone gives a gift to the Muslims on these festivals and that is contrary to his habit at all other times apart from this festival, then his gift is not to be accepted, especially if the gift is something that is used to imitate them, such as giving candles and the like at Christmas, or giving eggs, milk and lambs on Maundy Thursday, which comes at the end of their fast (Lent).

Similarly, no gift should be given to any of the Muslims on these festivals because of the festival, especially if it is something that is used to imitate them, as we have stated above.

The Muslim should not sell the things that Muslims could use to imitate them on that festival, such as food, clothing and the like, because that is helping them in doing evil.

Iqtida’ Siraat al-Mustaqeem, p. 227.

And he (may Allaah have mercy on him) also said:

As for the Muslim selling them things that they use for their festivals, such as food, clothing, herbs and the like, or giving those things to them, that is a kind of helping them to celebrate their haraam festival. This is based on the principle that it is not permissible to sell to the kaafirs grapes or juice that they can use for wine, and it is not permissible to sell them weapons with which they can fight the Muslims.

Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem, p. 229

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said concerning the festivals of the People of the Book:

Just as it is not permissible for them to celebrate them openly, it is not permissible for the Muslims to help them in that or attend with them, according to the consensus of the scholars. This was stated clearly by the fuqaha’ who follow the four imams, in their books.

Then he (may Allaah have mercy on him) quoted the words of the imams of the madhhabs and the prominent scholars.

Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah (3/1245-1250).

See also the answer to question no. 12666.

Thirdly:

It is not permissible for the Muslim to take religious matters lightly. He must practise his religion openly. They practise their religion openly and display its symbols during these festivals; we should also openly reject their gifts and refuse to join them and help them in that. This is one of the teachings of our religion.

We ask Allaah to help us to understand the rulings of our religion and to help us to act upon it and adhere to it.

And Allaah knows best.

A Christian complains about prohibition of Muslims celebrating or congratulating people at Christmas
Why do you condemn the celebration of the what Christians think is birth of the son of God (Allah)? We should be teaching respect for other peoples and religions. Yet with such condemnation and calling it falsehood, it makes it difficult for rational, honest, and respectful persons to communicate.
Praise be to the One God, who begets not, nor is begotten.

You seem to have misinterpreted the condemnation of celebration of Christmas as a matter of disrespect for Christians. In reality, it is out of respect for Allah and Jesus and the teachings of our Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon them. It is an integral part of our faith to reject celebrations that have not been prescribed and/or that have a basis in falsehood, as inevitably they lead to misguidance and alterations in faith, as has happened with Christianity. There is nothing "radical" or "fringe" about this. It is our basic right to protect our faith and practice from distortion and falsehood. Surely no one has a right to condemn us for this.

Do you think Encyclopedia Britannica is rational and honest? Please read what they have to say about Christmas:

Excerpts quoted directly from http://www.britannica.com :

The word Christmas is derived from the Old English Cristes maesse, "Christ's Mass." :

( There is no certain tradition of the date of Christ's birth. Christian chronographers of the 3rd century believed that the creation of the world took place at the spring equinox, then reckoned as March 25; hence the new creation in the incarnation (i.e., the conception) and death of Christ must therefore have occurred on the same day, with his birth following nine months later at the winter solstice, December 25).

According to a Roman almanac, the Christian festival of Christmas was celebrated in Rome by AD 336...

( The reason why Christmas came to be celebrated on December 25 remains uncertain, but most probably the reason is that early Christians wished the date to coincide with the pagan Roman festival marking the "birthday of the unconquered sun" ) (natalis solis invicti); this festival celebrated the winter solstice, when the days again begin to lengthen and the sun begins to climb higher in the sky. The traditional customs connected with Christmas have accordingly developed from several sources as a result of the coincidence of the celebration of the birth of Christ with the pagan agricultural and solar observances at midwinter. In the Roman world the Saturnalia (December 17) was a time of merrymaking and exchange of gifts. December 25 was also regarded as the birth date of the Iranian mystery god Mithra, the Sun of Righteousness. On the Roman New Year (January 1), houses were decorated with greenery and lights, and gifts were given to children and the poor. To these observances were added the http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/ar...,00.htmlGerman and Celtic Yule rites when the Teutonic tribes penetrated into Gaul, Britain, and central Europe. Food and good fellowship, the Yule log and Yule cakes, greenery and fir trees, and gifts and greetings all commemorated different aspects of this festive season. Fires and lights, symbols of warmth and lasting life, have always been associated with the winter festival, both pagan and Christian. Since the European Middle Ages, evergreens, as symbols of survival, have been associated with Christmas... [end quote]

So as any rational person can see, there is no sound basis for Christmas, nor did Jesus (peace be upon him) or his true followers celebrate Christmas or ask anyone to celebrate Christmas, nor was there any record of anyone calling themselves Christians celebrating Christmas until several hundred years after Jesus. So were the companions of Jesus more righteously guided in not celebrating Christmas or are the people of today?

So if you want to respect Jesus, peace be upon him, as Muslims do, don't celebrate some fabricated event that was chosen to coincide with pagan festivals and copy pagan customs. Do you honestly think God, or even Jesus himself, would approve or condemn such a thing? If you say approve, then obviously you are not interested in the truth.

We ask Allaah, the One, Singular God, with no partners or sons, the God of all creation and mankind, to guide us all to the path of guidance and sincerity.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Ruling on celebrating non-Muslim holidays and congratulating them
Can a muslim celebrate a non muslim holiday like Thanksgiving?

Praise be to Allaah.

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."
[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369)

All fatwas from
http://www.islamqa.com/en