Question about halal certification

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
This will likely seem a silly question but I would appreciate some answers greatly.

In my cupboard I have a yogurt maker which comes with sachets of powered yogurt to use in it. These have on them a halal certification badge from an Islamic certification board in New Zealand where the manufacturer is based. Similarly I have sweets and gelatine which is American halal certified.

My question: if a manufactured product such as this powdered yogurt and sweets has on it a halal certification from any country, is it halal all across the world if the product is then imported to another country?

Thank you in advance for any answers!

strive-may-i

Walaikum Salaam Sister,

This will likely seem a silly question but I would appreciate some answers greatly.

In my cupboard I have a yogurt maker which comes with sachets of powered yogurt to use in it. These have on them a halal certification badge from an Islamic certification board in New Zealand where the manufacturer is based. Similarly I have sweets and gelatine which is American halal certified.

My question: if a manufactured product such as this powdered yogurt and sweets has on it a halal certification from any country, is it halal all across the world if the product is then imported to another country?

Thank you in advance for any answers!
Yes (From what I know, its country independent)

Halaal certifications are consistent . Have you found a difference in certification for a particular branded product? The halaal criteria is clear, in most of cases. The rules for certifying, are same. There could be few corner cases, where difference in opinion exists. Some might like to avoid anything which they assess as doubtful. Others might, probe sufficiently and arrive at the halaal certification.

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Walaikum Salaam Sister,

Yes (From what I know, its country independent)

Halaal certifications are consistent . Have you found a difference in certification for a particular branded product? The halaal criteria is clear, in most of cases. The rules for certifying, are same. There could be few corner cases, where difference in opinion exists. Some might like to avoid anything which they assess as doubtful. Others might, probe sufficiently and arrive at the halaal certification.

This makes sense. I studied Jewish kashrut (dietary laws) for some time and that had a massive amount of differences in certification criteria and in the level of strictness with which each certification body or even individual rabbis apply the rules, so I was unsure whether halal certification was similar/the same, although a quick skim of various sites shows uniformity of rules.

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
While the criteria for halal certification is the same, having one does not necessarily means it is all good. There are companies that use halal certification without earning it. And some who do it have it, don't pay attention to halal and non-halal products as they should and there is that cross contamination that could occur. You cannot trust all Australian/NZ halal stuff. Here's why.
Australians were unwittingly fed donkey meat, goat and maggot-ridden offcuts by some of the country's leading meat producers, according to newly revealed Royal Commission findings.

"The flesh of donkeys, goats, kangaroos, buffaloes and horses, killed in the field and without regard to any consideration of hygiene...was used indiscriminately to produce food for human consumption," the report said.

In total Justice Albert Edward Woodward named 35 cases requiring further investigation and or criminal proceedings.

Halal meat, central to the Islamic faith and the Quran, sets down that Muslims may only eat meat from permitted animals and then only if those animals have been slaughtered in accordance with detailed ritual procedure.

Justice Woodward said the operators of one large meat company, which he did not name, routinely falsified halal certificates to represented animals that had not been slaughtered in accordance with Islamic rites.

But he was unable to determine the exact scale of the fraud as the owners refused to answer questions at the Royal Commission. In this case a Muslim slaughterman signed certificates for animals he did not kill.

"The size of the operation can be gauged from the fact that, when found out, some $2 million worth of meat certified in this way was still being held in storage."

Another unnamed export company sent chilled meat to the Middle East and forged the signature of a diplomat from another Arabic nation to speed up its operation.

It's best to read about the companies that claim to produce halal products and see how good their standing is. We just can't trust anyone these days.