question about interest

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Assalamu aleikum
I have a question about interest for the loans or money borrowed from someone.I know the interest is haram,but I have a question if its haram for the person who gets the interest or for the person who actually takes a loan and pay the interest.Its probably both.I'm little confused with this.
salam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

The answer Sister is: both.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) cursed all involved in the interest, the recipient, the sponsor, and the one eating and the feeding it, as stated in the authentic hadith. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said,

"The gold for the gold, the silver for the silver, wheat for wheat, barley for barley, date for date, salt for salt, similar for the like, and hand in hand. So whoever adds or seeks to add, then he has used riba. The recipient and the giver of the transaction are the same". (Reported by Muslim, #1584.)

On the authority of Jabir (may Allah be pleased with him) who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)

"cursed the one who consumes interest, the one giving it, the one bearing scroll, and the two witnesses to it". He said (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), "they are all equal." (Muslim narrated it.)

If a Muslim wants to partake in a specific affair and he doesn't know it's ruling, then it is upon him to ask before he gets involved in it. Ignorance isn't an excuse for each and every situation.

We ask Allah to enrich us with His halal and to avoid His haram.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

So is it a sin im receiving some interest monthly, even though i dont want it. I am donating it to charity anyway although thats because it is the best thing to do. I need to open a islamic bank account.

Wasalam

bdot

As salam,

I am confused regarding bank interest though. They take money from us every month do they not? And every so often they give us a small cash amount in return which they call "interest". However, can this really be considered interest when it is not we who ask for this money. In this way, it seems more like a "gift" the banks are saying they give us so that it seems that we are making money from them when it is actuality it is the other way around. I mean, they don't even have to take that amount out of our bank accounts when they take they monthly (or whatever) amount. They could just leave this "interest" in our accounts, then there would be no problem would there? I am wondering this because I fear it is like exploitation of Muslim clients if we give this so called "interest" (pennies I don't even need) back to the bank simply because they use the name interest on this amount. If anyone has the proper ruling on such cases i would like to know. Many of my friends have simply told the banks to keep the money, which is in a way good because is better to stay away from the doubtful. But still . . . if I am being exploited I want to know and I don't want to concede. JazakAllahu khayr for your time.

As salamualaikum waRahmatuAllahi wa barakatu

sista fahima

salam
i have a question regarding something smiliar to this!

is reciving a bursery from the uni haram as i do work experience half of the year anyways which i assume the bursery counts for ( as in getting paid for the work experiene)? please let me know jazakullah because i know taking a uni loan is haram because u hav not worked for it, and have to pay it bak later on in life???????

salaam

Jihan

it is haram for both parties and as a matter of fact it is one of the 7 grave sins and it is worst than consuming alcohol! there is a really nice lecture about called halaal and haraam business transaction by sheikh imran hossein he makes really nice analogies! inshAllah i hope this helped... and i have not made any mistakes inshAllah!

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

Stupid HSBC. So then what should i do, contact them ASAP and tell stop paying me interest. Because at the moment im committing a sin and i dont want to be.

Jazakallah Khair

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Asalamu Alykum,

Stupid HSBC. So then what should i do, contact them ASAP and tell stop paying me interest. Because at the moment im committing a sin and i dont want to be.

Jazakallah Khair

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

lol. thats funny...

i also have some money inside the bank which i intend to withdraw
Can anyone help me what should i do with the interest i got from bank..
Give it to the mosque?
orphanage?

salam
i have a question regarding something smiliar to this!

is reciving a bursery from the uni haram as i do work experience half of the year anyways which i assume the bursery counts for ( as in getting paid for the work experiene)? please let me know jazakullah because i know taking a uni loan is haram because u hav not worked for it, and have to pay it bak later on in life???????

salaam

Salaamalikum,

If you are spending all the bursary money, then there is no zakat due on it. However, if you are saving more than the nisab (or similarly if what you save from it, combined with any other personal savings and investments you have exceeds the nisab, then zakat is due once you have been in this state for one lunar year.

Asalamu Alykum,

So is it a sin im receiving some interest monthly, even though i dont want it. I am donating it to charity anyway although thats because it is the best thing to do. I need to open a islamic bank account.

Wasalam

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If there is a person who deals in riba (interest/usury), then repents and wants to get rid of the money he gained from riba, it is permissible for him to give it to the poor in order to get rid of it. A person can also do likewise if an amount of riba is put into his account by the bank, but this is not counted as sadaqah (charity), because Allaah is Good and only accepts that which is good and pure. As for continuing to deal in riba, this is not permissible, because it is one of the major sins (kabaa’ir), and taking it is tantamount to challenging Allaah and His Messenger, even if one is dealing in riba in order to give it to the poor.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Way To Get Rid of Haram Money

There are a few important points here:

1. Giving and taking interest are both decisively impermissible in Islam. Similarly, it is impermissible to consume unlawfully-earned money.

2. Given this, the default is that it is impermissible to have any kinds of interest-bearing accounts. Many banks provide zero interest current accounts. If these are available where you are, it would not be permissible to get an interest-bearing account, even “low interest.” Given the need to safeguard money and the unavoidable need to engage in financial transactions, the jurists of our age have given a dispensation for low interest current accounts if the abovementioned type are not available.

3. When you deposit money in the bank, the interest they give you is not your property, Islamically. Similarly, unlawfully-earned money is not your rightful possession. The default would have been to actually return it to its rightful owners. When this is not possible to do, we are legally obliged to effectively return it to them by giving it away in charity, so that even though their money does not go back to them its benefit does in the form of the benefit of charity given on their behalf.

It is only charity, however, with regards to the actual owners of the money. When you give this money away, you can only intend to get rid of unlawful filthy money from your holding, while repenting and seeking Allah’s forgiveness for disobeying Him in a matter He deems most hateful. To seek ‘good’ or reward when one gets rid of this money would be a serious sin in itself, the fuqaha tell us.

One may either give this money to those deserving of zakat (=the poor and needy), or to charities. There is nothing wrong or dubious with accepting this money, because the sin devolves back to the person who wrongful engaged in the unlawful transaction and not the actual money itself.

Sources: al-Hadhr wa’l Ibaha of al-Nahlawi, al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, Ibn Abidin’s Radd al-Muhtar, with some details from questions asked of contemporary scholars

investments => properties??

The term "investment" is used differently in economics and in finance.
Economists refer to a real investment (such as a machine or a house), while financial economists refer to a financial asset, such as money that is put into a bank or the market, which may then be used to buy a real asset.

So from an economists point of view, a house is considered an investment property because they usually appreciate in value (you make $$ off of it). Alot of times people think cars are investments, but they are not!! (unless of course they are an antiquity) because they depreciate in value.

When a finance person talks about investments he/she is usually talking about bonds, stocks, mutual funds, certificate of deposits (CDs), and other securities.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
The term "investment" is used differently in economics and in finance.
Economists refer to a real investment (such as a machine or a house), while financial economists refer to a financial asset, such as money that is put into a bank or the market, which may then be used to buy a real asset.

So from an economists point of view, a house is considered an investment property because they usually appreciate in value (you make $$ off of it). Alot of times people think cars are investments, but they are not!! (unless of course they are an antiquity) because they depreciate in value.

When a finance person talks about investments he/she is usually talking about bonds, stocks, mutual funds, certificate of deposits (CDs), and other securities.

properties as in a building not a house..

properties as in a building not a house..

I believe it's both a building and/or a house. A person can be an owner (or investor) for a building and/or a house. Isn't your house a property? A buidling is and can be a property as well.

walaakum salaam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
I believe it's both a building and/or a house. A person can be an owner (or investor) for a building and/or a house. Isn't your house a property? A buidling is and can be a property as well.

walaakum salaam

Question:
Is manufacturing equipment subject to zakaah, knowing that its value may be very high?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Company buildings, heavy and light machinery and vehicles that are used to transport goods or company workers are not subject to zakaah.

The early scholars stated that the tools of craftsmen such as carpenters, builders, blacksmiths and the like are not subject to zakaah. Al-Kasaani said in Badaa’i’ al-Sanaa’i’ (3/398): As for the tools of the craftsman and the buckets and containers, they are not trade goods, because they are not usually sold with the goods. End quote.

In Kashshaaf al-Qinaa’ (168/2) it says: There is no zakaah on craftsmen’s tools, containers used for displaying goods or the jars and bottles used for perfume and groceries, or for oil and honey, unless they are intended for sale, i.e., the bottles and their contents, in which case zakaah should be paid on both because they are goods for trade. The same applies to the equipment used for tending animals. If they are to be kept then there is no zakaah on them, because they are tools of the trade, but if they are to be sold with the animal then they are trade goods and zakaah should be paid on them. End quote.

The fact that these machines may be huge and produce a great deal does not alter the shar’i ruling at all, rather the basic principle still applies and the ruling remains as it is. The fact that cars and planes can cover huge distances does not affect the rulings on concessions granted to travellers. Similarly, changes in tools used for manufacturing do not affect the rulings at all. Stated by Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah al-Bassaam. Majallat al-Majma’ al-Fiqhi, 4/1/722

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about modern enterprises that have appeared nowadays, such as enterprises for animal production, milk production, agricultural production, and large real estate projects such as high-rise buildings. Is there any zakaah on these things, and how should the zakaah be paid?

He replied: if these projects and enterprises are set up for the purpose of buying and selling, with the aim of making a profit, then the owner must pay zakaah on them every time one year passes, if these things are prepared for sale, whether they are buildings, land, shops, animals on his farm, and so on. He should pay zakaah when one year has passed, based on their value. But equipment that is not for sale is not subject to zakaah, and the land on which the farm is located is not subject to zakaah if it is not prepared for sale, rather it is the place where the owner raises the animals for sale or it is cultivated by him and so on. So the zakaah is on the produce, but the land itself which is prepared for cultivation or where he raises animals is not subject to zakaah. The same applies to carpenters and blacksmiths – there is no zakaah on the tools that they have for use such as hammers and and all other tools. Rather zakaah is due on wealth that is prepared for sale and tools that are prepared for sale – as stated above – when one year has passed he should pay zakaah according to their value. Zakaah should also be paid on vehicles that are prepared for sale and land that is prepared for sale.”

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 14/184

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked: In our institute there is equipment that is used for the work of the institute, such as vehicles, compressors and mixers. Is zakaah due on them or not?

They replied:

Zakaah is due on the rental fees paid if they are rented out, after one year has passed, if that reaches the nisaab. If the owner of the institute enters into contracts and uses these machines to fulfil the contracts, then the zakaah should be paid from the profits earned from these contracts, after one year has passed, but no zakaah is due on the machines themselves or on their value, because they have not been prepared for sale, rather they have been prepared for use. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 9/345

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

No zakaah is required of a man for what he keeps of vessels, furniture, tools, cars, property etc, even if he has prepared them for renting out. If a person owns many properties that are worth millions, but he does not deal in them by buying or selling, rather he prepares them for using or renting, then no zakaah is due on these properties, even if they are many. Rather zakaah is due on what he earns from them in rental payments or income; zakaah must be paid on rental income when one year has passed since the beginning of the contract. If one year has not yet passed, then no zakaah is due, because in principle there is no obligation (with regard to these matters) unless there is evidence. Rather the evidence indicates that zakaah is not required on them, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Muslim does not have to pay zakaah on his slave or his horse.” This indicates that “non-zakaatable” wealth that a person keeps for himself is not subject to zakaah, and wealth that a person prepares to provide an income for himself, such as real estate etc, is undoubtedly something that a person wants for himself and not for others, because he is not selling it, rather he is keeping it for income. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 18/254.

Islam Q&A

Question:
Is manufacturing equipment subject to zakaah, knowing that its value may be very high?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Company buildings, heavy and light machinery and vehicles that are used to transport goods or company workers are not subject to zakaah.

The early scholars stated that the tools of craftsmen such as carpenters, builders, blacksmiths and the like are not subject to zakaah. Al-Kasaani said in Badaa’i’ al-Sanaa’i’ (3/398): As for the tools of the craftsman and the buckets and containers, they are not trade goods, because they are not usually sold with the goods. End quote.

In Kashshaaf al-Qinaa’ (168/2) it says: There is no zakaah on craftsmen’s tools, containers used for displaying goods or the jars and bottles used for perfume and groceries, or for oil and honey, unless they are intended for sale, i.e., the bottles and their contents, in which case zakaah should be paid on both because they are goods for trade. The same applies to the equipment used for tending animals. If they are to be kept then there is no zakaah on them, because they are tools of the trade, but if they are to be sold with the animal then they are trade goods and zakaah should be paid on them. End quote.

The fact that these machines may be huge and produce a great deal does not alter the shar’i ruling at all, rather the basic principle still applies and the ruling remains as it is. The fact that cars and planes can cover huge distances does not affect the rulings on concessions granted to travellers. Similarly, changes in tools used for manufacturing do not affect the rulings at all. Stated by Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah al-Bassaam. Majallat al-Majma’ al-Fiqhi, 4/1/722

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about modern enterprises that have appeared nowadays, such as enterprises for animal production, milk production, agricultural production, and large real estate projects such as high-rise buildings. Is there any zakaah on these things, and how should the zakaah be paid?

He replied: if these projects and enterprises are set up for the purpose of buying and selling, with the aim of making a profit, then the owner must pay zakaah on them every time one year passes, if these things are prepared for sale, whether they are buildings, land, shops, animals on his farm, and so on. He should pay zakaah when one year has passed, based on their value. But equipment that is not for sale is not subject to zakaah, and the land on which the farm is located is not subject to zakaah if it is not prepared for sale, rather it is the place where the owner raises the animals for sale or it is cultivated by him and so on. So the zakaah is on the produce, but the land itself which is prepared for cultivation or where he raises animals is not subject to zakaah. The same applies to carpenters and blacksmiths – there is no zakaah on the tools that they have for use such as hammers and and all other tools. Rather zakaah is due on wealth that is prepared for sale and tools that are prepared for sale – as stated above – when one year has passed he should pay zakaah according to their value. Zakaah should also be paid on vehicles that are prepared for sale and land that is prepared for sale.”

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 14/184

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked: In our institute there is equipment that is used for the work of the institute, such as vehicles, compressors and mixers. Is zakaah due on them or not?

They replied:

Zakaah is due on the rental fees paid if they are rented out, after one year has passed, if that reaches the nisaab. If the owner of the institute enters into contracts and uses these machines to fulfil the contracts, then the zakaah should be paid from the profits earned from these contracts, after one year has passed, but no zakaah is due on the machines themselves or on their value, because they have not been prepared for sale, rather they have been prepared for use. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 9/345

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

No zakaah is required of a man for what he keeps of vessels, furniture, tools, cars, property etc, even if he has prepared them for renting out. If a person owns many properties that are worth millions, but he does not deal in them by buying or selling, rather he prepares them for using or renting, then no zakaah is due on these properties, even if they are many. Rather zakaah is due on what he earns from them in rental payments or income; zakaah must be paid on rental income when one year has passed since the beginning of the contract. If one year has not yet passed, then no zakaah is due, because in principle there is no obligation (with regard to these matters) unless there is evidence. Rather the evidence indicates that zakaah is not required on them, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Muslim does not have to pay zakaah on his slave or his horse.” This indicates that “non-zakaatable” wealth that a person keeps for himself is not subject to zakaah, and wealth that a person prepares to provide an income for himself, such as real estate etc, is undoubtedly something that a person wants for himself and not for others, because he is not selling it, rather he is keeping it for income. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 18/254.

Islam Q&A

That is correct brother, but I am talking about buying and selling property - you do have to pay zakaah on that.
walaakum salaam

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

my brother is a banker and there's two types of interest in a sense.

interest given to your checking account, is the banks way of keeping you with them and not leaving for another bank. there are people in this world that really care about these few pennies that they gain. in other words the bank is paying you for your loyalty.

the second type of interest is the type when someone wants to grow their money. like in a CD or money market account. usually early withdrawals from these kind of accounts would result in a penalty.

we all know that ribaa is haram, but sadly so many of us muslims here in the west has had to resort to it at some time or another. that's why more islamic banks need to be established so that we can bank with confidence.
:wasalam: