question about living arrangement after marraige??

Ashima33

Salaam,

I have had a brother talk about marriage with me... we have both decided that we need to wait a long while, but I still am wondering about certain things. one thing that will be a huge factor if we do decide to marry will be his mother. She wants him to marry a pakistani girl and I am an american/white convert. So... I don't think she would be too thrilled. My question is about the living arrangement after marraige. She is a single mother and he lives with and supports her. Is it a part of the culture (or maybe even Islam) that he continue to live with her after he is married if he still helps to support his mother? I guess my concern with this is if I lived with his mother, I'm worried that she would make things very difficult in everyday life. I think I could handle this if I had a separate home, but I know if would wear me down living in the environment where I could never be "good enough." But at the same time... I wouldn't want it to seems as if I was stealing her son... even though he has even claimed they get a long better when they aren't around each other a lot and he would someday like a home of his own.

Thank you for any advice =)