Question about Tarweeh

nabeelahmad18

..Muslim Be United..
:salam2:

1] I want to know is it neccessary to pray witr with imam or you can pray it yourself?
2] the imam of my masjid prays witr like magrib prayer i.e sits in 2nd rak`a for tashahud then in 3rd rak`a before bowing says Allah hu Akbar raising both hands then placing it back then recites dua qunoot...my question is can I pray witr with imam like this.

JazakAllah khair in Advance:SMILY209:

Sorry for my bad english:SMILY335:

:wasalam:
:salah:

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Salamu alaikkum, no it is not permissible to pray like that brother, here is a fatwa i came across about praying Witr like maghrib...

Regarding taraaweh prayers in hanafi mosques. Witr salah is read as 3 rakahs with TWO sittings for tashahud in which salaam is not said until the last rakah (ie. the same as maghrib). Is it correct to join them in this or should we pray witr seperately?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed Witr in different ways. He prayed one rak’ah, and three, and five, and seven, and nine. And he prayed three rak’ahs in two different ways, either continuously with one tashahhud, or saying salaam after two rak’ahs and praying one rak’ah and saying salaam after it. He did not pray it like Maghrib, with two tashahhuds and one salaam. Rather he forbade doing that, and said: “Do not pray Witr with three rak’ahs like Maghrib.” Narrated by al-Haakim, 1/403; al-Bayhaqi, 3/31; al-Daaraqutni, p. 172. Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari (4/301): Its isnaad fulfils the conditions of the two Shaykhs (al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen said:

It is permissible to pray Witr with three rak’ahs, or with five, or with seven, or with nine. If a person prays Witr with three, it may be done in one of two ways, both of which are prescribed in sharee’ah:

1 – Praying the three rak'ahs continually with one tashahhud.

2 – Saying salaam after two rak’ahs, then praying one rak’ah on its own.

Both of these are narrated in the Sunnah, so if a person does it one way sometimes and the other way sometimes, that is good.

It is permissible to say it with one salaam, but it should be with only one tashahhud and not two, because if he does it with two tashahhuds, it will be like Maghrib prayer, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade making it like Maghrib prayer.

Irshaad.K

Brother it is fine to read behind the imam

I took the following verbatim from somewhere...
(Theres proof for everything in all madhabs)

'I think we have clarified that there are three rak'ah of witr. In Fiqh al-Islam by Mufti Abdur-Rahman ibn Yusuf (which I would recommend you to buy since it has a full chapter, nicely explained, on the witr), the Mufti writes:

2. Sa'd ibn Hisham relates that: 'A'isha [radi Allahu anha] informed him that the Messenger of Allah [salla Allahu 'alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam] did not make salams in the second rak'a of witr (Sunan al-Nasa'i 1:248, Muwatta Imam Muhammad 151). (ibn Yusuf, pg. 135)

3. This narration has also been mentioned by Imam Hakim with a slight variation:
The Messenger of Allah [salla Allahu 'alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam] would not make salams in the first two rak'ats of witr (al-Mustadrak 1:304
Imam Hakim then states, "[This narration is] is authentic according to the condition of Imam Bukhari and Muslim." 'Allama Dhahabi agreed with him. (ibn Yusuf, pg. 136)

4. The following is another variation of the above narration related by Imam Hakim:
The Messenger of Allah [salla Allahu 'alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam] would perform three rak'ats of witr making salams only at the end [in the final rak'a]. This was the practice of the Leader of the Faithful 'Umar ibn al-Khattab [radi Allahu 'anhu] and it is from him that the people of Madina acquired this practice (al-Mustardrak 1:304). (ibn Yusuf, pg. 136
There were many on the Sahaba (radi Allahu 'anhum) who prayed 3 rak'ahs of witr in the manner which the Hanafi madhab tells us to pray witr. This is also Fiqh al-Islam:

3. Hasan al-Basri was informed that
'Abdullah ibn 'Umar [radi Allahu 'anhu] would make salams in the second rak'a of witr. Hasan al-Basri informed that 'Umar [radi Allahu 'anhu] was a greater jurist than [his son], and his practice was to say the takbir and stand up from the second rak'a [for the third without making salams] (al-Mustadrak 1:304). (ibn Yusuf, pg. 139)

4. Makhul reports: 'Umar ibn al-Khattab [radi Allahu 'anhu] would perform three rak'ats of witr without salams in between (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shayba 2:295). (ibn Yusuf, pg. 139)

5. 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ud [radi Allahu 'anhu] says,: The rak'ats of witr are three similar to the daytime witr prayer (i.e. Maghrib) [(Muwatta Imam Muhammad 150, Majma' al zawa'id 2:242 U)]. (ibn Yusuf, pg. 139
There are more proofs from the madhab of Imam al-Adham, Imam Abu Hanifah (rahimAllah).'

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
1. I want to know is it neccessary to pray witr with imam or you can pray it yourself?

Ans: you can pray by urself. but to gain full reward u have end ur prayer with imam. so u can either:
- pray witr with him
- or make it 4 rakat nafl by praying additional rakat when imam says salaam. u get up for 4th rakaat without saying salaam.

2. the imam of my masjid prays witr like magrib prayer i.e sits in 2nd rak`a for tashahud then in 3rd rak`a before bowing says Allah hu Akbar raising both hands then placing it back then recites dua qunoot...my question is can I pray witr with imam like this.

Ans: of course, u can pray behind him. its there in Hanafi school. its not bidah.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
Asalaamualaykum,

So does my imam, i never thought there's anything wrong with it, for that matter i pray it that way after isha every night! This calls for proof from the ahadith, any one got any?