Question for my Western-born Muslim brothers

SonOfAdam

Staff member
One of the turban's I referred to was a Fez rapped in a long white cloth. Elhamdulillah, you can now walk in Turkey with a turban, it is no longer illegal (not sure of the Fez though). Inshallah however they broke it, we are going to fix it!

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Turkey is going to right path as using hijab is no longer illegal in schools and courts and other officies of the goverment.

:muslima:

But if not using hijab comes illegal there... then it too is wrong path. Women should have right to choose it by themselves, using or not. No by laws.

:shyhijabi:

oldhippie

When i said thawb I was specifically referring to the white robe that people from Saudi Arabia usually wear. :) . I just pointed out Ottoman dress as an example of the diversity of Islamic clothing (which I think greatly surpasses European styles in terms of beauty, modesty, and comfort).If it hadn't been for Ataturk's modernization reforms actually, people in Turkey might have stuck onto their traditional Islamic styles. I would be wearing a fez right now. :( . Maybe I would wear thawbs or kaftans. But no, our wonderful Islamic heritage had to be sold out for Western dress by Mustafa Kemal. What a horrible man. Sorry for being off topic, but I really want to wear a fez!!!

Im thinking of buying a thawb but Im afraid it might rip when I walk. Or that it might restrict my movement to small steps.

those are some nice pictures of the ottomman.
I do wear thobes/kaftans and have no problems
walking and not all of my kaftans or thobes are
white

Abu Juwairiya

When i said thawb I was specifically referring to the white robe that people from Saudi Arabia usually wear. :) . I just pointed out Ottoman dress as an example of the diversity of Islamic clothing (which I think greatly surpasses European styles in terms of beauty, modesty, and comfort).If it hadn't been for Ataturk's modernization reforms actually, people in Turkey might have stuck onto their traditional Islamic styles. I would be wearing a fez right now. :( . Maybe I would wear thawbs or kaftans. But no, our wonderful Islamic heritage had to be sold out for Western dress by Mustafa Kemal. What a horrible man. Sorry for being off topic, but I really want to wear a fez!!!

Im thinking of buying a thawb but Im afraid it might rip when I walk. Or that it might restrict my movement to small steps.

You mentioned you liked the Fez. While it was adopted by the Turkish Caliphate and worn with pride as an official dress, its actual origins was with the Greeks. Mustapha Kemal banned it, not because it reminded him of Islam, but he was aware of it non Turkish identity and wished to eradicate all forms of cultural semblances that had a foreign element to it.