Question for sisters: thickness of hijab material?

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
:salam2:

Asalaamu 'aleikum everyone!

I'm wondering if a fellow sister can clear this issue up for me, about hijab. I know that hijab is meant to cover the neck and head, but I'm wondering if there is any consensus about see-through materials and how thick any hijab material is meant to be. I've seen hijabs where it was very easy to see the hair underneath as the material was very thin. But I would have thought that being able to see the hair would invalidate the entire point of hijab in the first place.

Thank you for any answers in advance! :hijabi:

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:,

You would be right. See through scarves don't qualify as hijabs. The material should be opaque enough to conceal the woman's hair and neck. The goal of the hijab is to conceal these, so again anything that shows what's underneath nowhere near qualifies. Many sisters aren't as learned when it comes to being knowledgeable about the requirements of the hijab and thus, much ignorance tends to prevail, some by naïveté and some by choice. But the Islamic requirement of hijab is quite clear in this regard.

Hope that helps.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Salaam alaykum sister =D

See-through or opaque material kind of defeats the purpose of hijab, dont you agree? ;)

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
wa alaykum assalaam sister,

Inshallah just like to share this

According to Quran and Sunnah, there are basically six criteria for observing Hijab:

The first criterion is the extent of the body that should be covered. This is the different for men and women. The extent of covering obligatory on the male is to cover the body at least from the navel to the knees. For women, the extent of covering obligatory is to cover the complete body except the face and the hands upto the wrist. If they wish to, they can cover even these parts of the body. Some scholars of Islam insist that face and the hands are part of the obligatory extent of hijab.

- The chest should be covered. You can find the evidence on Surah Noor (24) Verse 31. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms

All the remaining 5 criteria are the same for men and women.

The cloths worn should be loose and should not reveal the figure.
- The clothes should not be too tight that it reveals the figure. The clothes should be "roomy" It should not describe your body figure.

The clothes worn should not be transparent such that one can see through them.

The clothes worn should not be so glamorous as to attract the opposite sex.

The clothes worn should not resemble that of opposite sex.

The clothes worn should not resemble that of the unbelievers i.e. they should not wear clothes that are specifically identities or symbols of the unbeliever’s religions..

Hijab Includes conduct and behavior among other things

Complete hijab besides the six criteria of clothing, also includes the moral conduct, behavior, attitude & intention of the individual. A person only fulfilling the criteria of hijab of the clothes is observing hijab in a limited sense. Hijab of the clothes should be accompanied by hijab of the eyes, hijab of the heart, of the thought and hijab of intention. It also includes the way a person walks, the way a person talks, and the way he behaves.

Also,

Hijab should not attract attention, display, or fame. It should not be an adornment itself. Sadly, the purpose of hijab is defeated today when you look at many hijabis. They have it so colorful and decorated that it has become a fashion rather than a covering. Some even have opened up their own businesses selling fashionable fancy hijabs.

Do not add perfume to your Hijab or clothing. There is actually a Hadith on perfume: Allah's Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: Every eye is lustful and when a woman applies perfume and then goes about in an assembly, she is like such and such, i.e. an adulteress. (Mishkat Hadith1065)

Allah's Apostle said: There are two types, amongst the denizens of Hell, I have yet not seen them. One possessing whips like the tail of an ox and they flog people with them. (The second one) the women who would be naked in spite of their being dressed, who are seduced (to wrong paths) and seduce others with their hair high like humps. These women would not get into Paradise and they would not perceive the odour of Paradise, although its fragrance can be perceived from such and such distance (from great distance.) Hadith - Sahih Muslim, #6840, Narrated Abu Hurayrah