Question for the sisters about hijab

Julie1134

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah,
I am having such a hard time wearing the long shirts and hijab in the heat. It is so hot and I get miserable. I don't know what to wear for the summer months. What is the best things to wear to keep cool? All I have is winter type clothing. Wearing a sweater in 90 degree weather is not easy. Thanks

:muslima:

bahjeh123

as salaam wa alakium wa rahmatullahi wa barikato Sister,
When wearing the Hijaab, heat shouldn't be your worry. That is what an abaya, or Jilbab is for (A long garment) which keep you cool throughout the summer and warm throughout the winter.
SubhanAllah,Allah gives us such a mercy for the belivers when the scorchoring sun is beaming down.
Remember Allah's mercy is everywhere. Especially in the hot sun. FOr example, when that gust of wind comes in when you are walking on a hot day, that is Allah subhana Wa ta'alas mercy for you my beloved sister.
May He make this an ease for you.
For Hijaab is such a beautiful thing to wear, a beautiful garment worn for protection and modesty.

-Bahjeh

Suhaila1

~~~~~~
When I go out in the summer, people are always asking me if I'm hot under all that clothing, but actually, I find that it cools me down.

If you wear light, loose clothing, then it won't cause you to feel any hotter, and it should protect you from getting heated from the sun directly contacting your skin.

Usually, when you hear hot weather alerts, they'll warn people to wear long-sleeved clothing, because it protects your skin from getting burned.

Have you ever gotten sun-burned while covering your skin?

Guys are not required to cover their heads, but the men in the Middle East often do. And they live in the hottest place on Earth; I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do that if it made them feel hot.

Obviously if you're wearing something like wool or leather then you're going to feel hot, but try just wearing a loose, light, cotton long-sleeved shirt.

And long skirts make you feel hot? What kinda skirts are you wearing, cuz I feel a lot cooler wearing a long flowy skirt than wearing jeans.

To keep cool in the summer, I suggest buying some light scarves from an islamic store. Usually the ones you find in the accessories section of a store at the mall are silk or satin, which feel uncomfortable in the heat (for me, at least), but the ones at islamic stores are usually light and comfortable. Those ones can actually make you cool down in the heat.

For clothes, just get a light shirt from a store. If you're concerned about a light shirt clinging to your body, just get it a size or two larger than yours.

I feel comfortable wearing jeans in summer, but long skirts would prolly be more comfortable in the heat.

Hope that helps =]

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikoum

Dear Sister in Kentucky, I feel your pain from hot and humid Florida, lol!! Try to stay away from synthetic fabric and wear 100% cotton loose tunic shirts over light pants or a long loose Indian style cotton skirt and a light natural fiber hijab (such as cotton or silk). If you have the right hijab on, it should actually keep the heat off your head. Don't worry sister, sometimes it is the Shaytan playing games, trying to make us give up but we are fortunate to live in a country where most people have AC in their homes, workplace, cars and at the stores, so we really are pampered.

All the best, Your sister, Catherine Iman,

Wassalam

Julie1134

Thank you both for the comments. Long skirts are not a problem, but pants with sweaters are very hot. The underscarves are hot too. I have to wear them though because my scarf will slip off. I don't really have any tunic shirts. I will look on the internet and see what I can find that would be better. There are no Islamic shops here either. Yeah, we are very lucky to have AC in most places. Salam

tarannumsamir

as salaamu alaikom wa rehmatullah wa barakaatuhu.
sister u can wear cotton abayas too,they are not that hot.and scarves also light coloured would be a better choice.