Question from a revert muslim

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
:salam2:

i have a revert brother , who is asking me a Question im not sure how to answer.

Well while studying in school he read that in Islam, Allah (swt) controls everything, so now he is confuse that if Allah (swt) control everything than Allah (swt) controls his actions so if he sins that it means Allah (swt) is controlling that.

Could someone please help me how to clear this confusion and explain him how human free will work

mhamzah

There are three distinct spheres in each of which God's Will works differently. In the realm of "Amr," it is not subject to any laws : it is a law unto itself. In the universe which He has created, His Will assumes the shape of immutable laws to which all physical beings are subject. These laws?the Laws of Nature?are called "Kalimat Ullah" in the terminology of Quran, and, as already stated, are immutable. "There is no changing the Kalimat of Allah" (10 : 64). It is the unchangeability and immutability of these laws on which the entire edifice of science and the predictions we make in the realm of physical world are founded. So far as man, a being endowed with freedom is concerned, there are also laws governing the development of his self, but man is free either to obey them or go against them. In this domain, the will of man operates. Here the initiative lies with man and, in the words of Iqbal, "God Himself cannot feel, judge and choose for me when more than one course of action are open to me. There is thus no place for fatalism in Islam.

[yt]ZE1Kke82Z38&feature[/yt]

Time: 4:10 - 5:20

[yt]76ZfP-T_zBQ&feature[/yt]

guang-ming

the following is quoted from the 26th Word (on Divine Determing or Fate) from the Risale-i Nur Collection, a Qur'anic commentary by the famous Turkish scholar Said Nursi:
"Yes, as the Qur’an states, man is totally responsible for his evils, for it is he who wants the evils. Since evils are destructive, man may perpetrate much destruction with a single evil act, like burning down a house with one match, and he becomes deserving of an awesome punishment."
"As for evils, it is man’s soul that wants them, either through capacity or through choice, – like in the white and beautiful light of the sun some substances become black and putrefy, and the blackness is related to their capacity – however, it is Almighty God Who creates the evils through a Divine law which comprises numerous benefits. That is to say, the cause and the request are from the soul, so that it is the soul which is responsible, while it is Almighty God Who creates the evils and brings them into existence, and since they have other results and fruits which are good, they are good. "

"It is for the above reason that the ‘acquisition’ (kasb) of evil, that is, the desire for evil, is evil, but the creation of evil is not evil. A lazy man who receives damage from rain, which comprises many instances of good, may not say that the rain is not mercy. Yes, together with a minor evil in its creation are numerous instances of good. To abandon that good for a minor evil becomes a greater evil. Therefore, a minor evil becomes like good. There is no evil or ugliness in Divine creation. They rather pertain to His servant’s wish and to his capacity."

"Furthermore, Divine Determining is both exempt from evil and ugliness with regard to results and fruits, and free from tyranny and ugliness with respect to reason and cause. Because Divine Determining looks to the true causes and acts justly. "

we will try to understand your friend's situation a bit more from this example:

For example, if a patient wants a painkiller pill from the doctor, but the doctor says to him, "this pill that you want is not good for you, you will get harm from it." but if the patient ignores the warning, and disobeys the doctor's advice and goes ahead somehow to take that pill, and as a result gets hurt. So it is not the fault of the doctor, but the fault lies with the patient's choice in spite of warning from the doctor.

Man commits sins and vices in spite of hearing repeated warnings from the Qur'an and hadiths and Islamic writings, the choice lies with the person, but the creation of the actions is with God, because he control all the limbs, organs, bodies, the workings of the brains, the results of the actions.

to look at it a bit further, if without God placing the sun and the earth in the right places, man would not even be able to live, let alone do any actions or make any choices. in other words, God controls everything, knows everything, and creates everything. but He leaves that weak inclination of man (known as the free will) alone, so the person will be responsible for his/her actions.
*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!XX
Hope this is helpful.
salam to you all.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Assalamu'alaykum,

I had the same question and it was answered extremely well for me awhile back. It is often difficult for our finite minds to comprehend The Infinite. Thankfully, there is not a question that our minds can imagine that Allaah has not answered. Subhan'Allaah. (I have to admit. I only put my two cents in so that I could say one of my one hundred Subhan'Allaah.)

These were the videos that helped me grasp this concept of Qadr and Qadaa

[yt]KDyVKfgXHSQ[/yt]

[yt]oNenUVPxkkE&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]FXdXfTBvy6k&feature=related[/yt]

Hopefully they will help.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu allaicum dear brother

Allah is all Controler and Sustainer of all Wolds so as human beings, but also Allah has gaved to all mainkinds freedoom of will and also gudiance trough Quran and Sunnah of His Last Messanger Mohammed sallahu alyahe wa salam, so that people can know diffrence between good and bad, and also t to chose what is the best for them. That is not hard question, because if you ask of Allah good and try to be on the right way, that also Allah will help you and control your actions. But if you do bad, and not ask gudiance of Allah, than how you can except of Allah to help you. Allahu aleem, Allah knows the best.

Abu Hurairah, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:

"Allah the Almighty has said: 'Whosoever acts with enmity towards a closer servant of Mine (wali), I will indeed declare war against him. Nothing endears My servant to Me than doing of what I have made obligatory upon him to do. And My servant continues to draw nearer to Me with supererogatory (nawafil) prayers so that I shall love him. When I love him, I shall be his hearing with which he shall hear, his sight with which he shall see, his hands with which he shall hold, and his feet with which he shall walk. And if he asks (something) of Me, I shall surely give it to him, and if he takes refuge in Me, I shall certainly grant him it.'"
(Al Bukhari)

The Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, used to say the following in his du'a: "O Allah I ask You that You love me and the love of those who love You and to enable me also to love every act and deed that may bring me closer to You". That is the reason why some of the early scholars say that the actions and the worship that are based on the love of Allah will continue and never be depressed or frustrated. Some others say that the one who loves Allah will not get fed up or bored of getting closer to Allah. He never feels that he is bored of doing good deeds and acts that will get him closer to Allah. Other scholars say that for the one who loves Allah, his heart is purified and he always remembers Allah. He always seeks and strives to do good deeds and acts that will get him closer to Allah. He does all of this with pleasure.

May Allah bless you dear brother for helping your friend,and may Allah guide him towerd our beautiful Islaam.ameen.

:wasalam:

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum

JazakAllah khair for all the beautiful answers, i was able to explain to him that but then he ask , does Allah (swt) already know if im going to heaven or hell? if Allah (swt) has already pre-destined for us whether we will go to heaven or hell they why does it matter wat i do?

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,this good question needs a good answer.I don't know if it would satisfy your doubts.talking about my personal experience I briefly say that my life had a shock,in the sense that I was a non-believer,but I always was disposed to listen the others' opinions.Allah looked how I was growing up,He was testing me even I didn't know Him,and at the right time He posed my life in front of a choice:He let me know His way through an Arabic muslim boy,who Allah let come to Italy to meet me.I can happily confirm what I several times wrote:Allah knows everything is in the heart of His creatures and He decides who of them is allowed to take His Path.Allah is the All-Knowing,it's obvious!But a muslim man has an advantage that a non-muslim has not:A MUSLIM KNOWS WHEN HE SINS AND HE ASK FORGIVENESS TO ALLAH,WHILE A NON-MUSLIM KNOWS HE IS SINNING BUT HE DOESN'T TAKE CARE

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
it is right,there is no predestination in Islam:anyone can become muslim in any moment,but I may suppose that by myself there are those ones who are more interested to know Allah's Way and that's why He maybe helps them to take part to it,but on the other hand there are those who always ask for fortunes,money,success and they obtain it without any effort:this is Allah Who helps them to take that way,cause for disbelievers this Dunya's life is their paradise,while for the believers it is just a dream that's coming to an end.<YUDHILLU BIHY KATHIRAN WA YAHDI BIHI KATHIRAN;WA MA YUDHILLU BIHI ILLA AL FASIQIN>

weakslave

aslam o aliakum

JazakAllah khair for all the beautiful answers, i was able to explain to him that but then he ask , does Allah (swt) already know if im going to heaven or hell? if Allah (swt) has already pre-destined for us whether we will go to heaven or hell they why does it matter wat i do?

Yes, He does know, but He did not predestine anybody. This is one of the most common errors Muslims make in understanding Al-Qadar. Please do a search in this forum on "Qadar" and read again what I and many others have said about the subject. Al-Qadar does NOT mean predestination; it means precise amount and timing. Al-Qadhaa' does not mean predestination either; it means decree.

God did not predestine anybody to anywhere; He simply pre-knows what they will do with their free will and the consequences of their exercise of their free will. There would be no point to the free will otherwise, and there would be no point to warnings and prophets and neither to promises of rewards.

Suppose you come to me and asked, "How do I get to Joe's house?" And I pointed you to Baker street. You, instead, took Hampton street! I tell you that Hampton street will get you to Sid's house, not Joe's, but you still took it anyway, did I force you to go to Sid's house?

The matter of Qad'a and Qadr is not an easy one to explain, meaning it is easy to make a mistake in the explanation. The Prophet :saw: asked us not to get involved with discussions of this nature because it is hard for the human mind to grasp this concept and harder yet to explain.

Look at this hadith from the Prophet :saw:

Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet said, "Allah puts an angel in charge of the uterus and the angel says, 'O Lord, (it is) semen! O Lord, (it is now ) a clot! O Lord, (it is now) a piece of flesh.' And then, if Allah wishes to complete its creation, the angel asks, 'O Lord, (will it be) a male or a female? A wretched (an evil doer) or a blessed (doer of good)? How much will his provisions be? What will his age be?' So all that is written while the creature is still in the mother's womb."

And another:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mus'ud: Allah's Apostle, the true and truly inspired said, "(The matter of the Creation of) a human being is put together in the womb of the mother in forty days, and then he becomes a clot of thick blood for a similar period, and then a piece of flesh for a similar period. Then Allah sends an angel who is ordered to write four things. He is ordered to write down his (i.e. the new creature's) deeds, his livelihood, his (date of) death, and whether he will be blessed or wretched (in religion). Then the soul is breathed into him. So, a man amongst you may do (good deeds till there is only a cubit between him and Paradise and then what has been written for him decides his behavior and he starts doing (evil) deeds characteristic of the people of the (Hell) Fire. And similarly a man amongst you may do (evil) deeds till there is only a cubit between him and the (Hell) Fire, and then what has been written for him decides his behavior, and he starts doing deeds characteristic of the people of Paradise."

The above two ahadith make it clear, there are four things written for you before you exit the womb:

- male or female
- blessed or wretched
- how much wealth you will possess
- exactly how long you will live for

So why do I need to do anything if that is already written, pre-destined for me?

1. Allaah is All Knowing, All Powerful. What kind of Allaah would He be if He did not know everything, including the future?

2. You are given free will, you are given the power choose which path to take. This is what Allaah has given you, and ultimately you make these decisions and you decide how you want your life to end up.

3. As human beings we are at the mercy of Allaah Subhanahu Wa Talaa. We do not question Allaah's judgement and we do not question Allaah's decisions.

In Suratul Mulk:

[He] who created death and life to test you [as to] which of you is best in deed - and He is the Exalted in Might, the Forgiving -

Ultimately, we do not know what Allaah has chosen for us. Whether any of us will end up in heaven or hell. That is why we work day and night for Allaah Subhanahu Wa Talaa, and we ask Him to guide us and protect us.

I cannot explain it more than that, and I know the explanation is lacking. If this is something you cannot comprehend, it is best not to speak of it. When a person asks we are not required to give a response. The scholarly answer is to say "I don't know" when you truly don't know, and leave the rest to Allaah.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

It is obvious that there is real wisdom in this forum. And, that is why I spend much of my free time here and at The FIKS. The instructor there who I believe is Abu Taubah (but I realize just how often I am wrong lately) often quotes "The Muslim is sharp, moving intelligently, not like a snail or a dull witted individual with a lazy body."

I appreciate all of you so much.

arzafar

Allah has decreed all things for His creations. There is no doubt about it.
the only thing that can change the Divine decree is supplication and in one hadith i read it was evil eye but off course that also happens because Allah allows it to happen. We have free will because Allah allowed us to have it, so freewill works under the framework of Divine Decree. freewill of all humans and jinn is a subset of the Divine decree.

Consider the following simple situations.

1. you decide to visit your friend and set off from your home without informing him. You did this by your own freewill (and Allah's decree). Upon reaching his house you find that he has left, so you don't get to meet him. This was Allah's decree for you and at the same time freewill for your friend because he chose to leave his house!

2. you were running hard (by your own freewill and Allah's decree), you slip over a banana skin and fell down. The skin might have been thrown by a careless person by his own free will (and Allah's decree) or it might have mistakenly fallen off a garbage bag in which case it fell because of Allah's decree and the person had no knowledge of it.

So everything, good or bad, happens because of Allah's Decree. Actually, there is a common argument against the existence of god used by the agnosts/atheists. Since evil exists, Merciful God cannot exist. now such 5 yr old arguments may work for other religions but are not even applicable to islamic theology.

If anyone wants to be 'guided' or to learn the truth, and if he is sincere in his struggle, i would suggest to him to pray directly to "the God" for a few days. If Allah wills He will be guided. Many converts have accounts like this. actually we should continue seeking guidance from Allah all our life. The worst thing that may happen to a believer is that Allah misguides him. There are many examples (living & dead) of that happening.

"Strange is the affair of the Mu'min (the believer), verily all his affairs are good for him. If something pleasing befalls him he thanks (Allah) and it becomes better for him. And if something harmful befalls him he is patient (Saabir) and it becomes better for him. And this is only for the Mu'mmin." [Muslim]

So let ask Allah to grant us patience, guidance and make us a true believer as only He can. Ameen!

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
beautiful answer,till now I am without words,by think how Allah let me be a mumina,when i was a kafira

guang-ming

interesting to see all the brothers and sisters actively involved in seeking answers to such a fundamental part of our belief, as one of our friends rightly mentioned in previous posts.
after having said what we thought right to say, let us all listen to and read what Bediuzzaman Said Nursi, author for his 6000-page-long commentary on the Qur'an for this modern time, has to say on the topic.
here is the link for the full text of the 26th Word (on Fate and Divine Determining). http://www.erisale.com/index.jsp?locale=en#risaleContentId_258148088
Hopefully his scholarly explanations will give all of us more insights.

arzafar

interesting to see all the brothers and sisters actively involved in seeking answers to such a fundamental part of our belief, as one of our friends rightly mentioned in previous posts.
after having said what we thought right to say, let us all listen to and read what Bediuzzaman Said Nursi, author for his 6000-page-long commentary on the Qur'an for this modern time, has to say on the topic.
here is the link for the full text of the 26th Word (on Fate and Divine Determining). http://www.erisale.com/index.jsp?locale=en#risaleContentId_258148088
Hopefully his scholarly explanations will give all of us more insights.

page is not loading.
Is this person a salafi. what is his aqeedah? i googled him and im not liking what im seeing.

weakslave

I beg to differ with the notion that it is hard to grasp and harder to explain. Once you grasp the concept of the free will, Al-Qadar becomes a straightforward notion. The problem that the debaters always have is that they keep bypassing the free will.

When God tells the angels to write all those matters down, it's not that they are predestined, they simply are pre-known! That's the key difference. Your knowledge of something does not mean you caused it. This also explains the rest of the hadeeths you quoted.

But we do! He told us in the Quran that He chose for us and offered to us a free will and we accepted. The rest is up to us and He knows what we will do.

I beg to differ. The six pillars of faith include faith in the precision of God's provision (Al-Qadar), so it is incumbent upon every Muslim to understand it because faith in Islam is not divorced from reason.

There is a crossing over of words and meanings. The conclusion of the discussion is this: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/49004

عن ‏ ‏أبي هريرة ‏ ‏قال ‏
‏خرج علينا رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏ونحن نتنازع في القدر فغضب حتى احمر وجهه حتى كأنما ‏ ‏فقئ ‏ ‏في ‏ ‏وجنتيه ‏ ‏الرمان فقال ‏ ‏أبهذا أمرتم أم بهذا أرسلت إليكم إنما هلك من كان قبلكم حين تنازعوا في هذا الأمر ‏ ‏عزمت ‏ ‏عليكم ألا تتنازعوا فيه ‏

رواه الترمذي ــ كتاب القدر رقم 2133 ، والحديث حسنه الألباني في صحيح الترمذي رقم 1732

Here is what the hadith means in english (this is my best attempt, please correct me if I made a mistake):

The Prophet :saw: entered upon us and we were arguing over the matter of Qadr (Divine Decree), and the Prophet :saw: got angry to the point which his face became red, and he said: "Is this what you were ordered to do? Is this why I was sent to you? There were those before you were punished when they argued over this matter. I advise you not to argue over it." {Narrated by At-Tirmidthi and authenticated by Al-Albaani}

Ali Radiyah Allaahu 'Anhu was asked about Qadr and he said:

طريق مظلم لا تسلكه
بحر عميق لا تلجه
سر الله قد خفي عليك فلا تفتشه​

It is a dark path, do not take it
It is a deep sea, do not try crossing it
It is a secret Allaah has hidden from you, do not investigate it

تحفة الأحوذي بشرح جامع الترمذي نقلا عن شرح السنة ــ ج 6 ص 278 ط دار الفكر

And Allaah knows best.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
page is not loading.
Is this person a salafi. what is his aqeedah? i googled him and im not liking what im seeing.

Brother if you come to know about it please let me know also . I have only heard about Risale E Nur through only turkish I think his actual name is Syed Nursi.

guang-ming

page is not loading.

dear brother,
the page is loading a bit slow, press refresh, it will load faster.
Bediuzzaman Said Nursi is an authority in regards to his commentary on the Qur'an for the modern man.
In his 6000 page long Risale-i Nur Collection, he answered in very convincing manners a lot of question on fundamentals of our belief (islam): questions like "proofs of Allah's oneness", His being free of time and space, His major attributes, "proofs regarding the Prophet's messengership", "proofs on Qadar (which is the topic of this post) (see 26th Word, from Nursi's book called the Words), "proofs that angels do exist, and their functions", "proofs of the Hereafter (Hashir, see the 10th Word, Nursi), and many many more topics that the modern man so often asks.
the 6000 page long Risale-i Nur (Treatises of Light) is like an encyclopedia on belief of Islam. it is a monumental work, a work that any researcher should not ignore.
please visit: http://www.erisale.com/index.jsp?locale=en#risaleContentId_258148088, and do not forget do refresh, it will open more quickly.
and also please try this one: http://www.hahabookstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=56
this site displays a list of Nursi's works.
Hope that this will add more benefits to the discussion so far.
salam to all participants.