Question Regarding Salah

GAZZH1991

Allahu Akbar!!
Salamu Alaikum,

I have recently reverted to Islam and I have started praying 5 times a day.

The only thing Is that I haven't told my Mum because I know she will be angry so I have decided to keep it secret for a while.

My problem is that my Bedroom is on the bottom floor of our house and this Is where I perform my Salah.

It's Ok for the Fajr And Isha prayers because For Fajr she Asleep and For Isha she is watching T.V.

But for the others (Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib) I am worried that she might walk in and Catch me and I would probably get in trouble.

Am I allowed to shorten these prayers?

GAZZH1991

Allahu Akbar!!
The only Reason I am asking this is not through laziness, It's just because I can't concentrate on a 4 rakat prayer when I am In Fear of being caught!

Of course, If I'm Allowed to shorten, I Only will when I Have to.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Wa Aleikum salaam brother,

Can't you find another room? Top floor or somewhere else?
Have you got the key for your room, so you could lock it, but I presume this is going to make her even more suspicious..umm I am not really sure, let's wait for more replies inshaAllah :)

GAZZH1991

Allahu Akbar!!
Well the only other room wich would be safe is the bathroom But I don't think we can pray in the bathroom.

It's a tidy bathroom Lol but I don't think Its Allowed

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Praying in a room at the edge of which is a toilet

Question:

I live in a non-Muslim country and find some difficulty when the time of prayer comes while I am outside home as there are not always nearby mosques everywhere you go. A lot of sisters (including myself) have no solution but to pray in the fitting rooms of the shops, or sometimes in the nursing rooms where mums change the nappies for their babies. The problem is that sometimes these nursing rooms have a special section (a corner in the room) where there is a toilet for children. Is it OK to pray there away from the toilet, or is it still considered a "Najis" place? Also can a muslim woman pray in an open park or car parking? I do not feel shy about my religion and I do not care about people seeing me, but I sometimes feel shy when non-muslims stand and stare as if you are doing a show! I am also worried that it could be haraam for a muslim woman to pray in front of men.We try to avoid these situations as much as we can, but sometimes we cannot. What should a sister do in these situations?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that it is haraam to pray in certain places, including bathrooms. It is not permissible to pray in them. It was narrated in a saheeh report from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that he said:

“All the earth is a mosque except for graveyards and bathrooms.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, al-Salaah, 291; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 262).

“Bathroom” refers to every place that is used for the purpose of relieving oneself; it is not permissible to pray in any such place. This room on the edge of which there is a toilet is not considered to be a bathroom so long as there is a barrier between it and the bathroom, with a wall and door etc. In this case prayer in that room is valid, because the prohibition on praying in bathrooms is because they are usually naajis (impure), and this room is not like that. And Allaah knows best.

What indicates that prayer in this place and elsewhere is valid is the hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“The earth has been made a place of prayer and a means of purification for me, so wherever a man is when the time for prayer comes, let him pray.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Tayammum, 323).

So prayer in that place is valid, and it is also valid in parks and parking lots, on condition that the place in which one prays is taahir (pure, clean).

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked, if there is a bathroom in front of a person in the direction of the qiblah, is it o.k. to pray facing it? He said: The prayer is valid and there is nothing wrong with that, rather what is forbidden is to pray inside the bathroom.

See Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, vol. 2, p. 196.

One thing to which attention must be paid is that a woman should uncover her face when praying, especially when she is among other women or her mahrams. But if she is praying in a place where men can see her, then she should cover her face whilst praying. See the answer to question no. 21803.

Secondly: you will be rewarded, in sha Allah, for your keenness to do the prayers on time. Undoubtedly the Muslim is obliged to do the prayers on time. And you have to make yourself feel that you are obeying Allaah when you are praying.

Your adherence to the truth and your establishing prayer and not feeling shy to worship openly may be the means of guiding some of the non-Muslims who see you to Islam, in which case you will have a reward equal to theirs in sha Allaah.

May Allaah help us and you to do all that is good.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
So, obviously you can't pray in the bathroom..

Maybe you could go to a friend's house? ..or pray outside..?
Have you tried looking for a mosque?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
salam bro

during zuhr =she m8 be busy cooking
during asr= make her a cupa' and advice her to sit infront of tv ..etc..
during mughreb = she m8 be busy making dinner

hope the above helped
waslam

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
Asalamu alaykum the best advice i can give is that u tell your mum u shouldnt have to hide that ur a muslim it is a wonderfull thing you reverting alhamdulilah u should talk to her and not live in constant fear of her catching you get close to god and may allah help you through what your going through and give you strength and bravery to do what is right. :tti_sister:

wa alaykumu salam:hijabi:

ahmed m

Alhamdulillah your concern for your salaah is praiseworthy. May Allah accept your efforts and make it easy for you.
my brother gazzhi. first thing is, we should all thank allah that he has made us muslims. may he always keep us on the straight path. now with regards to your question.
mashallah some have given some understanable replies. however brother gazzhi, for matters related fiqh(juriprudence) i suggest you always get approvals from the scholars.mashallah i can see some bros and sisters knw quite a bit.however, there could be another hadith and verse in the quran contadicting that. therefore, a scholar is aware of all these different verses and ahaadeeth and hence can weigh up the diferent options. if its fine, i will put forward ur situation before a scholar and get back to you inshallah.

on the other hand with regards to the comment made by my dear friend 'muslim 18', this is only fine in certain circumstances. if their is a fear that you may get tortured or killed, we should keep our faith enclosed. this is wat the prophet prescibed to those companions that fell under this category. plz refer to the other comment i sent to you brother gazzhi yesterday.

jazakallah

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
asalamu alaykum
thank you brother for your knowledge on this i appreciate it and i understand that if he has a fear of toture it should be enclosed but subhanallah i over looked it because i thought its his mother but i know in the past the mothers used to toture as well thanks for correcting me i agree go and research for yourself brother and ask a scholor or sheikh.:hijabi:

MAY ALLAH FORGIVE US ALL FOR OUR ERRORS AND INSHALLAH SHOW US AND KEEP US ON THE STRAIGHT PATH AMEEN..:tti_sister:

3:54

:salam2:

Brother, the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) prayed everyday at the Haram in spite of the fact he was despised by the kuffar of Quraesh. Why? Because the sole truth of life is Allah and that which He reveals. Allah (swt) is the rewarder and the punisher, not our families or our rulers, only Allah. Muhammad (pbuh) feared Allah, the Truth, more then those who threatened to harm him! And Is Muhammad (pbuh) not the best of examples?

So let this be a motivation for you to try to garner the courage to pray openly without fear, Inshallah!

Hear is a fatwa on shortened prayers, explaining the prayers can only be shortened for the traveler.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
First of all I congratulate you brother Gazzh on reverting to Islam.
It looks like you are only 17 years old. masha-Allah you reverted to Islam at this young age when many are involved in chasing girls and drinking and just having fun. May Allah bless you with great rewards and grant you Al-Firdous in the hereafter. Ameen.

As far as your question is concerned, I don't think you can shorten your prayers too much. The only thing you can shorten is the recitation of the verses after Al-Fatiha. But I think we should also wait for what brother Ahmed_M finds out from the Alim (scholar).

In the mean time you need to figure out how long you want to keep this a secret. Hopefully you figure out a way to tell it to your mom. Then you won't have to worry about it. I think you need to start talking to her about Islam and who Prophet Mohammad was and the teachings of Islam and see what her reaction is and then take the next step.

My prayers are with you my brother. :salah:
:wasalam:

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
we all know theres cause and effect, and in the case of reveting i always tell ppl to show the effect before the cause, because people fear the cause if they didnt know the effect.. show ur family how a better person u'v become.. then u can let them know why or how did that happen.. what ever you do depend on Allah.. and in sha allah.. it'll be easy for you..!!

OsMaN_93

Here to help
salam bro..
i think its better to tel them , cuzit m8 make you lie and not be truthfull
wat do u think bro_"BoMeshary"_????????

GAZZH1991

Allahu Akbar!!
Bro I wanna tell them, I don't wanna hide it!

But I might get kicked out or they might ban me practicing islam!!

Muslimah16

ServantOfAllah*
loll!! :D :D
i dont think they would dot hat now would they? :D
anywyaz, in the mean-time make dua (suplication) to Allah and ask Him to help you out bro. InshAllah He will help you. may Allah make it easy for you. aameen

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
we all know theres cause and effect, and in the case of reveting i always tell ppl to show the effect before the cause, because people fear the cause if they didnt know the effect.. show ur family how a better person u'v become.. then u can let them know why or how did that happen.. what ever you do depend on Allah.. and in sha allah.. it'll be easy for you..!!

i couldnt find a better suggestion!!
i know its hard, but its worth it.